Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Leech Life
- Brick Break/Poison Jab
Whoops.

Try as anyone might Lurantis really only ever has Defog to differentiate itself from other Grass-Types any offensive sets are just outclassed by the plethora of lower tier options in no order Torterra,Shiftry,Lilligant,Victreebel,Abomasnow,Ludicolo,Jumpluff,Cacturne,Trevenant,Cradily. That's just a list of offensive Grass-Types in NU and PU which all fill any Set-Up,AoA,Sun,Scarf,Specs,Band set or whatever you wanna try in virtue to either Movepool,Abilities,Dual Typing or a mixture of the three.

And if you say Contrary Leaf Storm...

Servine offers everything Lurantis does but even better, While Lurantis has a better SpA stat (80 compared to Servines 60) it doesn't have the better base speed and extra bulk in comparison to Servine due to it's access to Eviolite.

One thing i thought of is Z-Sunny Day + Solar Blade? No good in OU due to the fact rain is fairly common plus TTar, but in Lower Tiers it could be fairly decent. Never gonna be OU tho or even UU if Hippo stays there. Gigalith is also an issue, as is Alolan Ninetails or Abomasnow, or Vaniluxe or Aurorus, but how common are the latter 3 really? Basically the further down the tiers you go, the less weather setters, and without Weather setters a +1 speed Solar Blade coming at you is pretty scary.

Trying to run Contrary on this thing is a lost cause tho, it can't abuse it at all. this thing wants stuff like Super Power or Hammer Arm as coverage in order to abuse its ability to any decent degree

One thing i thought of is Z-Sunny Day + Solar Blade? No good in OU due to the fact rain is fairly common plus TTar, but in Lower Tiers it could be fairly decent. Never gonna be OU tho or even UU if Hippo stays there. Gigalith is also an issue, as is Alolan Ninetails or Abomasnow, or Vaniluxe or Aurorus, but how common are the latter 3 really? Basically the further down the tiers you go, the less weather setters, and without Weather setters a +1 speed Solar Blade coming at you is pretty scary.
this thing is way too slow to try out Z-Sunny Day. it will get revenge killed easily or force you to switch out, in which you lost your speed boost.

Try as anyone might Lurantis really only ever has Defog to differentiate itself from other Grass-Types any offensive sets are just outclassed by the plethora of lower tier options in no order Torterra,Shiftry,Lilligant,Victreebel,Abomasnow,Ludicolo,Jumpluff,Cacturne,Trevenant,Cradily. That's just a list of offensive Grass-Types in NU and PU which all fill any Set-Up,AoA,Sun,Scarf,Specs,Band set or whatever you wanna try in virtue to either Movepool,Abilities,Dual Typing or a mixture of the three.
Even then, there is no point on using it when shiftry does the job better as a defogger. yeah, this thing is forever doomed to be mediocre everywhere lol

Trying to run Contrary on this thing is a lost cause tho, it can't abuse it at all. this thing wants stuff like Super Power or Hammer Arm as coverage in order to abuse its ability to any decent degree
Z-Sunny Day would have been a fine idea if it had Chlorophyll to overcome its horrible Speed. It doesn't, so it's terrible.

I'm not really an expert on EVs and stuff (or the SuMo meta in general), but I just thought of this set and wanted to know everyone's opinion on it. I've never tested this, either. What about...

Contrary

Sunny Day
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power Ice
Weather Ball

-Sunny Day to give Lurantis a 100 BP Fire move to hit Steel types, Ice types, Bug types, and other Grass types
-Leaf Storm to raise Special Attack
-Hidden Power Ice to hit Dragon types and Flying types

Maybe a Life Orb could be for some added power, but a Heat Rock could work too. If you have a weather setter like Torkoal, you could replace Sunny Day with something like Substitute. Leftovers is a possibility also, since this set doesn't have any recovery.

I don't really know what nature would be best for this set. Probably Modest, since Lurantis isn't really going to outspeed much with that base 45 Speed anyways.

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited:
Why bother with Z Sunny Day and just use a Grassium Z Solar Blade? It's a one turn much stronger version of Solar Blade that people won't account for because Sun is a dead giveaway. You aren't getting off many Solar Blades in a match anyway, just make the one you have count for something

Honestly this thing feels more like a middle evolution than a final evolution. In fact if this thing got some extra stats, super power and a physical version of solar power we could have an amazing looking pokemon that would be a power house in OU

This is my first post, but have you guys tried this set?

Lurantis @ Firium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power Ice/Ground
- Weather Ball

Thanks to Z Sunny Day, Lurantis gets a bit of a boost to it's speed stat and gives it more potential to use Leaf Storm.
Weather Ball is turned into a strong fire move, allowing it to hit Steel, Grass and Bug types that will otherwise resist it's main stab.
And hidden power Ice to hit Flying and Dragon types.

Lurantis @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sunny Day
- Weather Ball

Thanks to Z Sunny Day, Lurantis gets a bit of a boost to it's speed stat and gives it more potential to use Leaf Storm.
Weather Ball is turned into a strong fire move, allowing it to hit Steel, Grass and Bug types that will otherwise resist it's main stab.
Except, with Contrary, using Z Sunny Day would actually lower your speed. I guess you could combine it with Trick Room, but you're already so slow that it hardly seems necessary.

Except, with Contrary, using Z Sunny Day would actually lower your speed. I guess you could combine it with Trick Room, but you're already so slow that it hardly seems necessary.
I have tested Z Sunny Day with Contrary, and it seems to ignore abilities or at least Contrary once activated.
So Lurantis still gets the speed boost while still able to use Leaf Storm with Contrary.

I have tested Z Sunny Day with Contrary, and it seems to ignore abilities or at least Contrary once activated.
So Lurantis still gets the speed boost while still able to use Leaf Storm with Contrary.
Really? That's actually very interesting.

It's quite odd... did you find it out in-cartridge?

(Although it wouldn't be that surprising if it were the case. The stat change from Z-status moves does not seem to be the standard stat change)

Yeah, I tested it in game.
View attachment 75076
Interesting... but it makes sense it's not affected by Contrary as it does not even have the stat boost/lowering animation, which is what Contrary reverses.

Better post it in the Battle Mechanics thread.

Still, Lurantis has a really bad base Speed. At +1, it can only reach up to 310 Speed.

Last edited:

Lurantis @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sunny Day
- Weather Ball

tfw you post something before someone else and they post something similar and they get noticed
(no offense, it's just a joke :P)

Last edited:
The set sucks so it doesn't matter in the long run.

The best Lurantis has going for it in PU is a defensive or offensive defogger set, anything w/o defog is just outclassed by another grass type available

Lurantis @ Life Orb
EVs: not really that sure.
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Giga Drain

I'm planning to use this in Pokemon Sun, what do you think guys? Should it have aromatherapy, I can't decide.
I included giga drain because it could help keep super slow Lurantis alive along with synthesis and sub, and an extra move when Leaf Storm runs out of PP. Sorry I'm not that experienced in making move sets.

Lurantis @ Life Orb
EVs: not really that sure.
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Giga Drain

I'm planning to use this in Pokemon Sun, what do you think guys? Should it have aromatherapy, I can't decide.
I included giga drain because it could help keep super slow Lurantis alive along with synthesis and sub, and an extra move when Leaf Storm runs out of PP. Sorry I'm not that experienced in making move sets.
Honestly man (and there may be those who disagree, but) I really think you're better off just going physical with this sucker. Its coverage isn't perfect, but it's definitely simpler to use and not 100% outclassed by contrary serp.

I could see Contrary-Lurantis working against Intimidate runners, but... the fact majority of Intimidaters are strong against Grass, so it's mooted. I really wish Lurantis had more base speed. The Z-Sunny Day trick is interesting, but takes away Assault Vest while also boosting the thing Lurantis hates, Fire. Going Special with Lurantis for Leaf Storm honestly doesn't seem worth it at all. Serperior and Servine do it much better since they have a bigger special movepool (and by that I mean Dragon Pulse). What I'm testing out currently:

Lurantis (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def / 64 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Low Sweep
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab

Lurantis does have a tad less bulk than Serperior, but I'd say it slightly makes up for it for being able to afford EVs in bulk instead of Serperior (whom I've never seen without max Sp.Atk and Speed EVs). Low Sweep I'm iffy on since I don't know how effective a -1 to Speed would affect the opponent, especially since Lurantis's speed is... ugh, it makes me cry. I want to love this guy, but that speed...

Last edited:
I have been trying out this set in doubles with some success. It does need TR on top of multiple weather support to do anything at all, but im also by no means too experienced in doubles and im sure people could build better teams around it.
Lurantis @ Life orb
Quiet nature
252 SpA / 252 HP / 4 Atk
-Protect
-Leaf Storm
-Weather Ball
-Poison Jab / HP Ground / HP Ice

The team I was using also had carbink, oranguru, torkoal, pelipper and tapu koko. You get TR up and use LS once, then switch between your weathers when needed to get the appropriate surprise coverage in weather ball. A 252+ LO leaf storm is actually barely enough to ohko opposing koko, and i ran poison jab in that last slot mainly to hit lele more reliably. It can also for example switch into snarls and then ideally KO arcanine with a followup pelipper weather ball.

I tried to find viable sets for this pokemon, but it really, really sucks. When this pokemon was first revealed I was so stoked, and I assumed that it would be fast mixed sweeper. Mantises have one of the fast strikes in the animal kingdom, behind the MANTIS a.k.a. "bullet" shrimp. When I saw that atrocious speed stat I immediately knew this was going to be relegated to NU possibly even PU. The logic here doesn't make any damn sense. Mantises can strike even flies! Hell, Servine can do what it can with more bulk. Another instance where GF pisses me off by trolling a such a great design. lol.

What about trick room...? I've been using a 0 speed-IV Quiet Lurantis in doubles with Mimikyu setting up trick room to some success. Granted, I'm new to the whole competitive battling thing so this might sound asinine to some of you, but leaf storm can be abused and you don't have to waste IVs on it's crap speed.

What about trick room...? I've been using a 0 speed-IV Quiet Lurantis in doubles with Mimikyu setting up trick room to some success. Granted, I'm new to the whole competitive battling thing so this might sound asinine to some of you, but leaf storm can be abused and you don't have to waste IVs on it's crap speed.
Trick Room seems to be where Lurantis would find the most play. Unfortunately it's just outdone by so much due to its Grass typing and lack of Special moves that anything that resists Grass is a threat (and it's a long list). The other issue is longevity. Lurantis has decent defenses (I use decent loosely) and access to Synthesis, but with such a frail typing you're likely to end up just using Synthesis repeatedly to keep Lurantis alive. Another issue to this is priority moves since they ignore Trick Room, so your opponent could just hit you hard after you use Leaf Storm to power up and then priority you before you can heal. And with priority moves being so common that Game Freak specifically made two abilities to counter them, it's very likely to happen. I can't speak for lower tiers, but Lurantis is outmatched in OU and UU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)