Pokémon Lurantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shiftry is notably musch frailer with its worse defenses and myraid of weaknesses. Wouldn't it be fair to assume that Lurantis would have an easier time blowing away hazards?

Shifty also has STAB Knock Off and Sucker Punch to threaten things which lets it Defog on the switch, as well as being much faster. Base 45 speed isn't going to win a lot of match ups 1v1, base 80, while not stellar is respectable. Defensive typing does suck but at least the numerous weaknesses are offset by a larger number of resistances than mono grass. Both low tier mons but I think Shiftry will be a single tier higher than Lurantis.

Is everyone ignoring the fact he gets weather ball. even of it is for lower tiers on a sun team he gets fire grass and bug which is decent coverage

Shiftry is notably musch frailer with its worse defenses and myraid of weaknesses. Wouldn't it be fair to assume that Lurantis would have an easier time blowing away hazards?
Frailer? Sure, but not MUCH frailer: (Before anyone asks, I'm playing around with some Tsareena sets right now so I already had her pulled up, and that's why she is being used as the attacker in these calcs.)

252 Atk Tsareena Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lurantis: 115-136 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tsareena Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 159-188 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

Besides, Shiftry is much faster, has better coverage, and it get priority. Lurantis is nice enough (it's kind of built like a Physical Vileplume, and I can dig that), but until it gets more moves that mesh with Contrary, it is just the poor man's Shiftry trying to be the poorer man's Serperior. Get GF to give it Hammer Arm, Superpower, etc. and then we'll be in business :)

Frailer? Sure, but not MUCH frailer: (Before anyone asks, I'm playing around with some Tsareena sets right now so I already had her pulled up, and that's why she is being used as the attacker in these calcs.)

252 Atk Tsareena Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lurantis: 115-136 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tsareena Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 159-188 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

Besides, Shiftry is much faster, has better coverage, and it get priority. Lurantis is nice enough (it's kind of built like a Physical Vileplume, and I can dig that), but until it gets more moves that mesh with Contrary, it is just the poor man's Shiftry trying to be the poorer man's Serperior. Get GF to give it Hammer Arm, Superpower, etc. and then we'll be in business :)
98% chance to 2hko compared to a guaranteed 3hko...

Dude its much bulkier. lurantis speed is literally its only flaw. come time for the doubles meta game where trick room or sun becomes popular it will carve its niche.

Dude its much bulkier. lurantis speed is literally its only flaw. come time for the doubles meta game where trick room or sun becomes popular it will carve its niche.
Why is sun so important for lurantis? It doesn't get chlorophyll and leaf guard is inferior to contrary. All sun is doing is weakening something that it already resist, and powering up a type its weak too. Synthesis doesn't need sun, we have synthesis users without it.

Lurantis has no niche unless its super lower tier and dhelmise, shiftry, tsareena, aren't available in those tiers.

Speed isn't lurantis's only flaw, its restrictive team building (needs tons of support including trick room), lack of priority to revenge kill anything, the presence of simply better pokemon of the same or having a similar typing with the same role, and its completely useless against HO teams since they will all mow the plant down.

This is why shiftry is better because it can actually do something besides defog, sure lurantis lives more hits, but I'd rather have something outspeed or revenge kill a few things with sucker punch than exist just for the defog and style points.

Btw, after SR its a 2hko for both. If they're full HP then they clearly ain't needed to do the job.

Servine is the only thing lurantis outclasses in low tiers, and that's just in the utility aspect, servine still is much better with the speed to actually sweep. Think of these two as magnezone / magneton, one just does a situation better.

Why is sun so important for lurantis? It doesn't get chlorophyll and leaf guard is inferior to contrary. All sun is doing is weakening something that it already resist, and powering up a type its weak too. Synthesis doesn't need sun, we have synthesis users without it.
Don't forget Solar Blade. 125 BP with stab is pretty significant. I'd say that's basically all lurantis has going for it, tbh.

Don't forget Solar Blade. 125 BP with stab is pretty significant. I'd say that's basically all lurantis has going for it, tbh.
I still wouldn't consider it good, where there's a sun meta, there's also a rain/sandstorm/hail meta so the moment your sun goes away, sun setter dies, or another weather replaces your sun you lost all your damage.

...which is useless when he already gets Contrary Leaf Storm.
I honestly forgot it got that. You could argue that lurantis is too slow to make good use of it outside of trick room, but you can say the same thing about solar blade and sun. I think the problem is lurantis will have a hard time doing anything on his own thanks to his speed. I could see it having a niche in lower tiers as a semi bulky special trick room sweeper, but even then its coverage is pretty poor. It's a shame too, I love its design.

HELLO it gets weather ball too.
Why would I throw a sun setter on my team specifically for weather ball?

I'd rather abuse chlorophyll on shiftry if you need a sun hazards remover that's grass.. better yet I'll just use one of the many chlorophyll weather ball sweepers like victreebel instead of ruining my team's typing syngery with a defogger and making it hard to fit something else that abuses sun. There are more grass abusers than any other typing so it seems a waste to rule out all grass types for one that just abuses weather ball and defog.

I can't really see any situation where you'd want to run weather ball over hidden power, which has 10 more BP and is consistent.
Weather ball has increased BP in sun.

Why would I throw a sun setter on my team specifically for weather ball?

I'd rather abuse chlorophyll on shiftry if you need a sun hazards remover that's grass.. better yet I'll just use one of the many chlorophyll weather ball sweepers like victreebel instead of ruining my team's typing syngery with a defogger and making it hard to fit something else that abuses sun. There are more grass abusers than any other typing so it seems a waste to rule out all grass types for one that just abuses weather ball and defog.

Weather ball has increased BP in sun.
Look it was stated that only solar blade gives you motivation to use sun. im stating that if you are using contrary leafstorm you can use weather ball too.
Or if your balsy enough a mixed set for whatever reason

Look it was stated that only solar blade gives you motivation to use sun. im stating that if you are using contrary leafstorm you can use weather ball too.
Or if your balsy enough a mixed set for whatever reason
If it was a leaf storm set on a sun team, yes I would recommend weather ball actually, although you'd have to forego a utility move (aroma, defog, synthesis) while keeping leaf storm, so its really team dependent. The only problem is still figuring out why I'd use lurantis in the first place. Its a pokemon, that CAN work, but the issue is will it work as easily or as consistently as mon x while still having a good looking team. If I'm playing lurantis for a sweeper without a doubt I'm using servine instead, and if I'm using lurantis as a utility mon for hazards, that's still debatable, the only perk I see for lurantis is it can invest in bulk and because it gets contrary leaf storm, nothing will really stay on it.

I'm just saying "weather ball" isn't a huge reason to put lurantis on sun specifically, especially if you have fire coverage from other mons on the sun team, victreebel takes weather ball because it needs the coverage to sweep or clean up on its own, lurantis its more of just a lure move as it most likely won't setup and sweep or clean up in anyway.

Personally I'll be trying out lurantis a lot as its one of my new favorites, but it hard for me to say that lurantis teams I build on showdown don't come with major flaws as a result of catering to lurantis and have me thinking "I wish I had something else right now.."

TR Sun is actually running wild atm with Oranguru TOrkoal teams. Lurants can easily slide in around there somewhere.

But what magic bouncer would stay in?
Now that you mention it, the threat of evasion boosts might actually be really good against Pokemon who use Magic Bounce to avoid being Roared out of their Subs and boosts.

And of course, you could always be a scumbag and pair Lurantis with a Magic Bouncer in Doubles >:)

I just want to say that I am entirely aware that my idea is bad and this isn't viable, but I think that al of us should at one point run Sunny Day Z on Lurantis for a few games, eventually have it sweep one time, giggle, and then never use it again.

It perplexes me. It really does. Game Freak added in some neat stuff to shake the game up a bit in this gen and yet then they make it so that this pokemon has no interesting quirks and redeeming qualities. It's a pure grass type that's slow as molasses and has a highest stat of 105. It's signature move is just a physical solar beam. A move only usable in sun, and with such a paltry speed without chlorophyll it's just going to be burnt to a crisp.

The totem Lurantis was quite a difficult fight i'll give it that though.

Found a good synergy strategy here
First give lurantis the following
Needs good SP Att.
-weather ball 100 fire based
-solar blade or giga drain
-synthesis
-another move such as x scissor or growth

My strategy uses komala to set it up
-Give komala heat rock to set up sun with sunny day
-Then use wish
-then u turn to lurantis and have it sweep
Soooo happy two of my fave gen 7 work well with another espousing wood hammer or thrash komala as its last move

While I do think Lurantis is out-classed generally speaking, it's not so terrible it can't work at all, I think. In lower tiers, I'm sure it will do well enough. After all, barring Contrary Leaf Storm, Serperior was a fairly hard pokemon to do much with, and now it's been solidly OU. I don't see the same fate for Lurantis given its speed, but it's enough of something that it can work. It just wishes it had better coverage options or other moves to take advantage of the contrary ability. Anyway, a few sets I had in mind.

(First off, pretty much all these sets are assuming you're using sun at least, and trick room with some of them.)
Lurantis @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Hidden Power Ice/Ground
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm

This one is fairly simple, maximizing speed and your damage output as much as possible. Max Speed Lurantis is still outspeed by plenty, but you will find yourself outspeeding a lot of uninvested tanks and the like. Generally, you will just want to hit Leaf Storm and pray, but I think this provides the best potential coverage of all your options (limited though they are) Giga Drain is redundant but will give you some healing and will hit hard after a leaf storm or two. Whichever HP you want is up to you. HP Ice will leave you walled by fire types but you probably wouldn't want to stay in on them anyway. HP Ground leaves you only walled by Fire/Flying and Dragon/Flying types, and nets more SE hits overall. Under the Sun, weather ball becomes a base 100 fire attack that's boosted by said sun making for effective coverage, overall.

Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade
- Brick Break/Poison Jab
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy/Defog

Probably not the best set in the world, but if you were wanting to do a more support/utility set while still having damage potential, then look no further. We're using leaf guard cause if you're under the sun, then no status will bug you, which goes well with the bulkier nature of this set. Solar Blade is still a 125 BP STAB attack coming with max attack investment. Brick Break or Poison Jab is up to you. Poison Jab gets you more neutral hits overall, but Brick Break lets you do something against steel types. Synthesis keeps you healthy. Since leaf guard is the ability of choice on this set, status isn't as bad to us, but aromatherapy is an option just for healing the team. Defog works as well to remove hazards.

Lurantis @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 SpA/ 0 speed IVS
Brave Nature
- Growth
- Leaf Storm
- Solar Blade
- Leech Life/physical or special coverage move of your choice

This set requires the most support to be sure, but has the most pure damage potential as a mixed wallbreaker, I feel, which serperior lacks. You need a trick room setter and a drought pokemon to make the most of this set, which is why the brave nature works and 0 Speed IVs just to make it as slow as possible. You'll want max attack investment since you're already going to be boosting SP.Attack with growth and leaf storm. The idea is you come in, and growth, you boost both attacking stats by two, then either leaf storm (also boosting your Sp. Att by 2 again) or solar blade depending on what you see with leech life as recovery (which will do pretty solid damage on most things at +2) or whatever coverage you feel is best. Weather Ball can work to deal with steel types and other grass types, or Brick Break to deal with steel types, or the hidden power of your choice. Leftovers you should use with Leech Life just to maximize tankiness and survivablity, but if you want to run another coverage move, then Life Orb will maximize damage output. Again, this set is limited by the support it needs to work, but when you have that support, I feel this is the best potential set. Just as an example to see what we can do once set up.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lurantis Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 520-614 (145.6 - 171.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lurantis: 304-359 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

So we have a decent chance of surviving the hit from the life orb garchomp and then OHKO'ing it. (again, presuming trick room here)

+2 4 SpA Life Orb Lurantis Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 712-842 (202.2 - 239.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And the ferrothorn can't do much to us in return, besides switch out, and give us a free turn of setup.

+4 4 SpA Life Orb Lurantis Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 324-382 (106.5 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is where the mixed capabilities come into play as burn doesn't bother us too much as long as we keep leaf storming.

4 SpA Life Orb Lurantis Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 403-476 (124.3 - 146.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even a non boosted weather ball takes care of certain builds of Aegislash.

And these are just common OU threats. I fully realize that in most occasions, they could just outspeed and kill us, but I just wanted to show the damage potential on this set. Presumably, Lurantis is going to be NU or RU at best, so I predict it can do even better against that calibur of competition.

And finally...

Lurantis @ Lum Berry/Leftovers/Life Orb/Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Leech Life
- Brick Break/Poison Jab

This is your traditional bulky set up sweeper kind of set, and I do think it's a little outclassed by like Leafeon or Shiftry in terms of physical grass types that can swords dance, but I felt remiss to not mention such a set. The item is up to you, and dictates your EV spread. I went with Lum Berry first of all, just because I know I hate more than anything getting burned while I'm trying to set up. Then we have leftovers which just gives you useful sustain when combined with leech life. Life Orb can work just to make the most of your damage. With that set, you'll want to max out speed and maybe go for a jolly nature just to outspeed as much as humanly possible. Sitrus Berry is another option, which works best with the bulkier spread but anyway. It'll give you that extra burst of healing that can help more in a pinch than leftovers. Say you take a hit that does about half your health, then sitrus berry activates and you're at solid health and you got your swords dance.

The idea is pretty simple really. Just swords dance, and hope for the best. This is another set that I presume you'll be using sun for, but this is one where it isn't required, and can be run on a more regular team. Either way, if you are using sun, then go Solar Blade. IF not, just use leaf blade which is probably more consistent anyway. Then you got leech life for recovery, and your choice of break break/poison jab. Either one leaves you walled by something. Contrary is the ability of choice, even if likely it won't do much for you. In the right situations, it will give you boosts from say defog or intimidate or sticky webs or what have you.

Overall, I'd say Lurantis will likely struggle in the OU tier and probably UU, but contrary leaf storm is just a great combo. Being able to do damage and set up in one move is something very few pokemon can do. With its ability to defog and heal as well giving it added utility, it has the potential to do well in RU and below, I'd say, (with that growth mixed set not being something to sleep on, I bet you) With some extra moves to take advantage of contrary and just for more coverage, it could be really good in later games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)