Latios

Just saying it here...

Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power Fighting is only walled by Shedinja (seeing that Gen V did not give us a Ghost/Steel-type); not saying that the loss required to make a good HP Fighting Latios isn't great, but then you don't need the tertiary coverage and can indeed go for Recover or some such. That said, Shedinja can be dealt with by Stealth Rocks or your choice of Spikes.

Just saying it here...

Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power Fighting is only walled by Shedinja (seeing that Gen V did not give us a Ghost/Steel-type); not saying that the loss required to make a good HP Fighting Latios isn't great, but then you don't need the tertiary coverage and can indeed go for Recover or some such. That said, Shedinja can be dealt with by Stealth Rocks or your choice of Spikes.
The fact that nobody uses this means there must be a catch. The only real IV difference from the widespread HP Fire is one single point in Special Defense. Big deal.

What's the catch after a Calm Mind?

Just saying it here...

The catch is that it still doesn't help Latios with its main issues, despite the neutral coverage.

Metagross, Jirachi, Bronzong, Scizor, Genosect, Skarmory, Forretress...there are simply too many steel types with an additional typing that makes HP Fighting much too weak against them, whereas even Surf hits them for more damage. HP Fighting is simply outclassed.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I always use Draco Meteor, Surf, Tbolt, Trick on my Latios and it's ballin. Mows down everything in its path and is just a boss in general.

Even without Soul dew, Lati@s both have a pretty solid stat distribution. If they do end up OU, they will be Top tier OU.

Latios has Just enough Physical moves for a gimmicky dragon dance set:

Latios @ Life orb/ Leftovers
Adamant/Jolly
252Atk/252Spe/4Hp
Levitate
-Dragon claw/Outrage
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt/ Substitute/ Thunder wave/ Filler

I don't know all his physical moves off the top of my head, but I doubt it'd see use due to his sp.atk being better, with a special movepool that sweepers dream of. Shame he doesn't get Flamethrower though.

Why does this thing has no discussion again ?

110 speed is nice to outpace many new threats(damn you Tornadus), and its relatively strong when it comes to Dragon STABS, and having an extra resistance to fighting for the newly appeared Breelom

I know, pursuit sucks, but i think latios has a good deal in OU right now

Lol a pokemon in the top 10 gets 3 pages of discussion.

So I actually have to post something real, lets discussion Latios's checks and counters:
-Tyranitar (scarf-tar is probably the best)
-Scizor (better without HP fire or revenge after draco meteor)
-Jirachi (best)
-Heatran (takes everything pretty well, even surf outside the rain)
-Blissey (Psyshock rapes, trick can annoy but you can play around with it)
-Chansey (psyshock doesn't destroy, but trick is more deadly)
-Metagross (idk the only one I haven't used)
-Snorlax (owns with choice band set)

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Metagross is a phenomenal counter. Too bad nobody uses him though. And I don't blame them for it.

Snorlax hates psyshock too. I'm surprised you didn't mention heatran. He's probably the best counter I've used against Latios (barring mixed dragon dance/earthquake monstrosities). If it's using surf, I'm playing sun. If it's not using surf but is carrying Hp fire, then it's even easier.

Jirachi can't handle hp fire if sun is up. Unfortunately, I seem to be on the receiving end of this even when I'm not playing sun myself.

Ah yes heatran, be sure to add.

(56.83 - 67.24%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Huh Ive never noticed psyshock did that much damage, and ive played with snorlax a lot. Although like scizor and HP fire, you can just have something bait a draco meteor.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And add Soul Dew to this discussion.
Lati@s just got a whole lot scarier. The rain threats aren't so much of an issue when you have Latias walling all the special ones. I mean Latias is already extremely bulky. Add Soul Dew, and you have a nightmare. A Calm Mind (I know it's not exact) without any setup and the ability to switch moves. That's cool.

Ah, my favorite mon. Soul dew should totally be released! Latios will make real good use of it once more.

Scarf tar is honestly really rare but tar in general is always a pretty good check to latios. Scizor is a little shakier since quite a number actually run hp fire and in the rain, scizor pretty much dies to surf after taking entry hazard damage. Jirachi can't take rain boosted surfs either. And if you run latios in the rain, a bulky water can easily take care of jirachi.

The best check/counter for latios is undoubtably tar.

I completely agree with you sky high, if we have to deal with all these offensive threats at least give me the new defensive boost that also came.

Unfortunately we are going to have to wait a few months before anything before anything is suspect tested. People are itching for Garchomp and Thundurus to fall down, why not soul dew, never the less, we must wait.

Edit: Why do you have to ruin my dreams prem :(.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im just posting to say soul dew has its own soul dew clause, and i can guarantee you it will NOT be tested in ou lol

I think there won't be bad to test with Soul Dew, but I think it's broken in OU.

Has someone tried CM Latios and can tell to us how about is using it?

Soul Dew would give them the special defense of a pink blob and the offensive presence rivalling that of Black and White Kyurem.

I think Soul Dew will be kept out of competitive play and let's be honest. I'd rather lose Soul Dew rather than lose 2 excellent OU pokes.

Is there a specific reason we would ban the Lati twins rather than Soul Dew itself?
No. In fourth gen, the Soul Dew Clause existed which banned the item without affecting the tiering of the Lati twins, if that makes sense. I don't see any reason for Soul Dew to not be tested by itself in this generation either, though I am dubious as to whether the tiering council will decide to test it only because I know from experience in Ubers just how powerful the Lati twins are with Soul Dew equipped.

I think there won't be bad to test with Soul Dew, but I think it's broken in OU.

Has someone tried CM Latios and can tell to us how about is using it?
I've been using Soul Dew CM on my own, just playtesting with friends, and it is definitely Uber-quality. I'm tanking Ice Beams from Glaceon (Sub for Kyurem, this is 4th Gen, same Special Atk) and having 25% left. Scizor and Tyranitar are the only Pokemon that can handle it, yet they lose to Surf and HP Fire variants (the former much more common), respectively.

This will never get a long stay in OU until more obscenely powerful Pokemon come in, imo.

Has nobody tried the LO varient with 4 attacks ? Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Surf, HP Fire & Psyshock. Works really well, especially as a late game varient. Specs is already deadly enough, imagine having the freedom to change move with that power, and an added Spec Def boost to making tanking hits easier.

They could always test it, but I think it would be too overpowered for OU.

I've been using Soul Dew CM on my own, just playtesting with friends, and it is definitely Uber-quality. I'm tanking Ice Beams from Glaceon (Sub for Kyurem, this is 4th Gen, same Special Atk) and having 25% left. Scizor and Tyranitar are the only Pokemon that can handle it, yet they lose to Surf and HP Fire variants (the former much more common), respectively.

This will never get a long stay in OU until more obscenely powerful Pokemon come in, imo.
I meant to say, CM Latios without Soul Dew, after reading again my message I understand that it's confusing.

Ok I think that's enough Soul Dew discussion.

Latios is still good, though I don't think it's enjoying Tornadus's influence on the metagame much, with the increase in specially defensive Jirachi, Tornadus-T itself, etc. (though fewer Scarf Tyranitar is good for it). It's still easily one of the better (best might be a bit of a stretch now with the influx of really good special attackers) special attackers in the metagame, and it is one of the best offensive checks to Keldeo, which is why I think its best set in this meta is LO 3 attacks + Recover.

Ok I think that's enough Soul Dew discussion.

Latios is still good, though I don't think it's enjoying Tornadus's influence on the metagame much, with the increase in specially defensive Jirachi, Tornadus-T itself, etc. (though fewer Scarf Tyranitar is good for it). It's still easily one of the better (best might be a bit of a stretch now with the influx of really good special attackers) special attackers in the metagame, and it is one of the best offensive checks to Keldeo, which is why I think its best set in this meta is LO 3 attacks + Recover.
I have to agree with you here. With less Choice Band Scizor running around along with the aforementioned Choice Scarf Tyranitar that you mentioned, you don't have to play as conservatively with Latios, meaning you are more safe just spamming the Draco Meteor button. Specially Defensive Jirachi is still a pain though.

Anyway, I would recommend running Psyshock in this metagame to be able to hit Keldeo through any Calm Mind boosts. With all the Rain teams running around, Hidden Power Fire has less utility than usual anyway.

Edit: For any of you guys that have more experience with Latios than myself in this metagame, would you mind sharing some offensive combinations that have proven effective?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to agree with you here. With less Choice Band Scizor running around along with the aforementioned Choice Scarf Tyranitar that you mentioned, you don't have to play as conservatively with Latios, meaning you are more safe just spamming the Draco Meteor button. Specially Defensive Jirachi is still a pain though.

Anyway, I would recommend running Psyshock in this metagame to be able to hit Keldeo through any Calm Mind boosts. With all the Rain teams running around, Hidden Power Fire has less utility than usual anyway.

Edit: For any of you guys that have more experience with Latios than myself in this metagame, would you mind sharing some offensive combinations that have proven effective?
I use Specs Latios as a revenge killer, not as an outright sweeper. Although Latios's speed is legendary, it is still outsped by many others, such as scarfed Terrakion with Xscissor or Specs Tornadus with hurricane.
CM Latios works quite well with Sp Def Heatran though. That's a start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)