itt post your favorite movies (or general movie discussion)

Nausicaa was amazing the first time I watched it, but after reading the manga (which I'd have so say is probably the greatest manga ever written) it's so overshadowed that it's just not the same. :/

Also, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned

Social and political commentary with plenty of explosions. What's not to like?

The humor really won me over in this one. Also Tallahassee kicks ass.

The Maltese Falcon defined detective films and it still holds up to today's standards. Just really an exceptional film.

I love just about anything with Robert Downey Jr. in it, but Sherlock Holmes was exceptional in how it reinvented the series. It's definitely on par with The Dark Knight.

Four of my favorites that haven't been mentioned (this might blow SMZ's mind even more than Metropolis!):

Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari (The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, 1920)

Stunningly surrealistic sets in a masterpiece of German Expressionism.

À bout de souffle (Breathless, 1960)

PATRICIA: What is your greatest ambition in life?
PARVULESCO: To become immortal... and then die.

Nietzschean Nouvelle Vague Bonnie-and-Clyde.

Hiroshima mon amour (1959)

More French New Wave. A powerful and seminal Kierkegaardian tour de force.

La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc, 1928)

Breathtaking.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

gosford park - a showcase of top british actors in a good old fashioned whodunnit, it turns out they do more than play wizards

taxi driver - remember when de niro was bad ass and not a wrinkly old joke?

the blues brothers - best musical film of all time

I am a fan of anything from Danny Boyle... ever since Trainspotting, that was it for me.

Foreign films I love... Breathless. The Lives of Others. Let the Right One In. Amelie. The Children Are Watching Us. Das Experiment.

The Back to the Future Series (duh).

I can watch Hook all day, every day, forever... I know its not GREAT but its a favorite.

I have this special place in my heart for those old fantasy/adventure movies... like... Legend, Willow, The Princess Bride, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Time Bandits, Krull, Never Ending Story... annnd I am sure there are others, I just can't think of them right now...

Kung Fu Hustle The plot isn't totally coherent and it lacks some character development, but it is essentially a comedic version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The execution is amazing and still draws you into the film, like Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton meet Quentin Tarantino and Bugs Bunny.
OH GOD YES

Watch again? (Y)

No one has mentioned star wars episodes 4 or 5?? what the hell.

ALso my favourite movie is Heat. One of the best directed and acted films of all time. Robert Deniro and Al Pacino play their roles perfectly and the last 30 minutes of the film are unbelievably amazing

Not mentioning Star Wars episode 4 and 5 isn't that bad. I mean, its kind of expected. No need to mention it as it is pretty much one of the best movies ever made, and an all time favorite for everyone.

Not mentioning Star Wars episode 4 and 5 isn't that bad. I mean, its kind of expected. No need to mention it as it is pretty much one of the best movies ever made, and an all time favorite for everyone.
Just because a lot of people like it does not mean everyone does. I find Star Wars ridiculously corny and dated by the poor ham acting. I mean sure it is worlds above "I-III", but I dislike Star Wars for most of the same reasons I dislike Indiana Jones, and I am sure there are other people who feel the way for reasons better than "I was bored!!" or whatever.

yeah i don't understand the obsession with star wars either. i still can't believe those little teddy bears managed to win a pivotal battle against the empire with fucking harpoons and catapulting rocks, in jedi returns i think? that's like a colony of cats infiltrating fort knox with sophisticated "claw" technology.

just lazy stuff

Okay, maybe I should rephrase...

Star Wars is GENERALLY liked by a good chunk of the average movie goer, and not listing it is not that big of a deal considering it would be on 90% of peoples favorite movie lists.

Secondly, @CaptKirby: its a movie from the late 70s and that alone is enough to cause issues. It wouldn't be fair to say that its bad, just outdated, and even then it still has a leg up on most movies that come out today. That said, it is important to realize that although star wars is 6 movies long, about half the series is shit, and episode 6 (although better than 1-3) is still not as great. Episode 4 is really a great film for its time.

And really? You dont like Raiders of the Lost Ark? I mean, to each their own, but its not a bad movie by any means (far opposite imho), and even though its outdated it definitely holds its own against the majority of the movies coming out nowadays.

@Ivar: Okay, the "Obsession" with Starwars is actually more of the result of George Lucas being a master businessman. Episode 6, like you said, made no sense with the Ewoks destroying the Empire. But AFTER episode 4, George Lucas realized how much power he has JUST by selling toys and appealing to the kids. From there on, it lead Lucas down into insanity, making super cheesy and corny story elements, more characters, tying everything together to cause fan boys to obsess over cameos and ridiculous aspects that are really not that great of writing. Seriously, Yoda being friends with Chewy? Bobafet being a clone and the start of the clone army? Ewoks destroying the Empire? Lucas wanted to combine everything for the common fan boy and appeal to kids above all else.

Personally I am a huge Starwars fan, but I take it with a grain of salt. Knowing that Lucas is bat shit insane, and can barely pronounce the names of his own characters (he has pronounced Hoth like "hoath" in an interview before), I can safely take the movies by themselves and enjoy them for what they, enjoy episodes 4 and 5 for how good they are, rather than hate them all and say "WELL STARWARS IS SO OVERHYPED I MEAN WHATS THE DEAL WITH THE EWOKS IN EPISODE 6 AND JARJAR IN EPISODE 1?"

À bout de souffle (Breathless, 1960)

PATRICIA: What is your greatest ambition in life?
PARVULESCO: To become immortal... and then die.
Great taste in movies. Also, that quote is literally what had me throw this movie on my top favorite movies ever.

my contribution: before sunset

modern classic
I love this movie. It is absolutely amazing, and I gotta say, as much as I love Before Sunrise, this sequel is superior.

The Science of Sleep

Great movie about dreams. Gondry has an eye for awesome visuals. You can watch it a million times and still be charmed by the great visuals and trippy story. Speaking of Gondry...
This movie has had such a strong impact on me. It is seriously one of my favorites from Gondry.

I am surprised to see so many fans of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I remember getting it when the DVD hit the shelves and I showed it to all my friends. So far under the radar and yet so deserving of attention.

I'm they've all been mentioned before in this topic, but I'm to lazy to quote people and give them thumbs up.

As overdone as my top 5 are, they are my top 5.

Shawshank Redemption: AMAZING movie. Excellent characters, brilliant story, nice little ending (for those who didn't have it spoiled), a perfect pace. Stephen King may be my favorite writer so I might be a little biased here, but this is the best movie of all time.

Watchmen: This movie is fantastic. Believable characters (and for a superhero-esq movie, this is shocking), a morally challenging plot, wonderful music and visuals; this is a movie I can watch over and over again in a row. It's that good.

Boondock Saints: It's time for some gratuitous violence and I'm oddly okay with that. Very morally engaging (a favorite theme of mine) and chock-full of action and comedy while still being semi-serious. It's not the best produced or written, but it's a movie I can watch a thousand times and never get bored of seeing. It's just good fun.

V for Vendetta: It's no surprise I like this movie. I'm an internet goer and I love the letter V with a passion (Vexatious anyone? Birthday also happens to be in May which is V in Roman numerals yadda yadda) Once more a morally striking film, this time dealing with anarchy. The plot is engaging, the character of V is just someone you want to hear talk as every word from his mouth is poetic beauty, and the visuals are superb--especially the end scene.

Sherlock Holmes: For awhile now I've been wondering myself "What is my 5th favorite movie?" and thanks to Tobes I now remember. The reboot of Sherlock Holmes is everything I could want from both the detective and Robert Downy Jr. It's witty, it's clever, it's fast paced and scientific; this movie is astounding and one of the very few movies I'd be willing to spend buying a copy of the actual DVD.

That's it from me. Now I want to do a marathon of movies...

episode 4 was spectacularly bad. episode 5 was fairly entertaining. i bring up the ewoks only because it's amongst the most obvious examples of poor story telling in the series, which isn't a glowing endorsement for the other movies.

and if movies can become outdated then yeah, they're bad. the test of time shows that star wars was a novelty--a novelty that was marketed incredibly well and is a successful franchise despite the fact that ITS OWN FANS agree that only 2 out of 6 movies are any good

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah remember that time that the American empire was able to easily defeat the poor, comparatively primitive insurgents in Afghanistan. If only star wars was more like that.

Also if science fiction doesnt date, then it probably isnt actually science fiction. The nature of speculating about a potential future basically guarantees that in the future your speculations will be wrong.

Also it is pretty easy to ignore the prequels and still enjoy the original three star wars films. They just arent relevant really..

Have a nice day.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
and if movies can become outdated then yeah, they're bad.
i'm not even gonna defend star wars here, but this is pretty ridiculous. older films usually look dated, how the fuck does that make them bad?

by dated, i understood "movies only considered good for their time"

not "special effects are dated", or "that movie is old"

there are plenty of old movies that are still relevant. star wars does not count amongst them

@hipmonlee

i'm only willing to suspend belief until a certain point. and the difference between the us and afgahni insurgents is NOT the same difference between ewoks and the fucking empire. they have laser guns and fucking ships that could probably decimate the planet, yet they were defeated by a couple of well placed catapults. the fuck???

I feel I need to to say the original Star Wars trilogy is one of my favorite movie series of all time. I even liked the new ones, though only episode 3 was up to the original trilogy standards.

Having said that, fuck Ewoks. George Lucas was originally planning on having the Wookies live on the forest moon of Endor, but felt that Chewbacca established that Wookies were more technologically advanced than the race that he was planing on. So he made a tribe of Fozzy Bears instead. -_-

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well they couldnt decimate the planet, that's what they were trying to defend..

I didnt really like the ewoks thing that much, but rocks and catapults and spears will kill people. I can actually accept the empire arrogantly disregarded the natives as being too primitive and underestimating the anger caused by building a base in their land. Only to be overwhelmed by numbers and home terrain advantage when the Ewoks are being supported by the entire rebel fleet.

My main complaint with ROTJ is the miracle of targeting the super-stardestroyer which just happens to send it crashing into the death star. They didnt need to stack the odds against themselves so heavily..

Have a nice day.

the thing is, the empire is technologically advanced enough to travel through space

and the ewoks look like they just discovered fire

afghani insurgents at least have RPGs and machine guns. the disparity between ewoks and the empire technology wise is not even remotely close.
even if they're a little cocky, it doesn't really matter. at the end of the day the empire has range with pinpoint precision in the form of laser guns, and hitting your enemies with rocks and catapults is incredibly difficult, unless you have thousands of catapults, which i doubt the ewoks could even carry.

another thing with the ewoks is that they're just not amazing physical specimens. they're not incredibly small like, say, cockroaches so they might be hard to kill, but they're not imposing enough to do any damage. they're also slow footed. it's totally ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)