GSC Ingame Discussion

gsc.png

I'm playing Pokemon Crystal for like the 30th time and I'm doing a special Nuzlocke variant that enables me to breed a Leech Seed Chikorita. So far, I've just beaten Falkner and have a Geodude and Spearow as my main fighters (in addition to Chikorita, Trade Onix, Caterpie, and Pidgey - most of them being in the box). I recently realized that it would be great to have a thread to talk about this game, which seems to be dearly loved and one of the most popular ever among fans. I know it's my favorite game, tied with GS of course, and only because you can't get Mareep in this one...

Go on! Share your thoughts, experiences, and stories of playing GSC. Be it your thoughts about the awesome worldbuilding or the terrible level curve (?), your thoughts about the Spaceworld betas or the secrets of the finished games, your current runs or your ideas for prospective teams and teammates...share them here! But to get the ball rolling...what do you think is the most underrated Pokemon in the game?*

*I think it's Scyther, personally.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Alright, since you asked...

Anyone who's read my other postings will probably know that Crystal was my first game, and one I've played multiple times. I've discussed the Gen II games a lot recently and I could probably go on talking about them some more!

Firstly - these games might not be the best in terms of challenge or spectacle, but the sheer level of innovation put in since Gen I and the sheer amount of tiny details - things you'd miss if you didn't otherwise know, like the fact that Pokemon get more friendly in the area you caught them or the fact that Pokemon which are related cannot breed - show the level of care and attention that was put into these titles which frankly puts later entries to shame. And for that, these games should be remembered and it's what I love about them.

So when they re-released GSC on the 3DS, I was thrilled. The VC release of Crystal even coincided on my birthday, which just made it all the sweeter.

Now, three years on from then, Crystal is the only Pokemon game I can say with conviction I've ever comprehensively finished. And that's something distinct to Gen I/II. You can't really say the same of the later games in the series - the Battle Towers/Frontiers are infinite so you can always do better, and there are all manner of other challenges like the Contests, Musicals, Mantine Surfing and so on which don't really ever end. But the Battle Tower in Crystal doesn't record streaks so once you've got a great team sorted for each level mode, you've basically finished it - and much like in RBY, there's a distinct lack of other post-game quests.

So when I played Crystal in 2018, I made it my mission to fully max it out like I was never able to back in 2001. Finished the Pokedex, obtained all the TMs, defeated every trainer, did all the in-game trades, dominated the Tower, even got Buena's phone number. The only thing I didn't bother to do was catch all the Unown variants but I'll probably do that eventually. The only "quest" I pursue in Crystal now is breeding shinies with useful egg moves. More on that in an upcoming challenge run to be shared at a later date...

Moving on to discussing the gameplay itself, I decided that my VC run on Crystal should be a "definitive" run where I'd use all my favourite Gen II critters. After whittling the list down to seven, I figured it'd be cool to do a rotation of seven team members for an additional bit of challenge. I'd already spent the lead-up to Crystal's VC release breeding a bunch of different species so in the end all but one of my team members in Crystal came from a different save file; using seven counteracted the additional EXP and stopped me from becoming grossly overlevelled.

So who did I use?

1626006931466.png

Typhlosion. My very first Pokemon (as a Cyndaquil, obvs) and my favourite starter. Unfortunately GSC is kind of where it peaked. But with wickedly good options in Earthquake, Thunderpunch, Dynamicpunch, Iron Tail, Hidden Power, it's a stellar team player and absolutely cleans up the Elite Four. Good to have you back, buddy.

1626006979614.png

Kingdra. The coolest dragon, at least for several generations, and one I never had the privilege of using back in the day. Traded back to Yellow as a Horsea to get some quirky Gen I exclusive moves like Substitute, Bubblebeam, and Rage. Lots of fun to raise, Horsea and Seadra are so stylish.

1626010763754.png

Tyranitar. Oh, how I struggled as a kid to get this thing. I'd pretty much finished the game before I caught a Larvitar, so there was hardly anyone left to battle. The grind was *i*n*s*a*n*e*. But finally - finally - I managed it. Here, it was easier as I was able to raise a Larvitar from the start of the game, even though it still didn't fully evolve until I reached Kanto. But what a monster it is. Slapped Curse on it and it became even more fearsome. Dragonite who?

1626007046375.png

Ursaring. The absolute bruiser. Teddiursa is not the most fun mon to raise in Gen II but my god, once it evolves it just wrecks things. It gets better Normal moves than Strength but it doesn't need them. Should have bred one with Crunch for some extra swish factor but Earthquake, Dynamicpunch, and Rollout all suffice.

1626007017073.png

Ampharos. I never got to use this back in the day because I never had Gold or Silver so I was determined to have this on my team. Taught it Zap Cannon since I couldn't get one with Thunderbolt - kind of sucky, but you win points for style. Once it evolved it was splendid.

1626007067275.png

Ledian. Some people really hate this mon, but I am not one of them - it's always been a favourite. I taught mine Ice Punch and Psybeam and it actually wasn't too bad. It's also a splendid Baton Passer with Agility to its slower brethren. Honestly a lot of fun to use and a good change of pace from all the overpowered titans.

1626007031128.png

Shuckle. To be more precise, Mania's Shuckie. I've adored Shuckle ever since I laid eyes on it. It's one that you really have to work to get the best out of and it's just so darn cute. Kind of reminds me of Pyukumuku in concept. Against the wrong opponent, Shuckle struggles - against an opponent it can handle it's damn near unbeatable. The extremity of the mon is part of its charm.

Now, onto gameplay - there's been a lot written about the level curve of the games over the years, and the disappointing lack of Johto mons showcased by important NPCs. I agree with a lot of it, and I do think some tweaks would have made it so much better. Forcing the player to take on Chuck and Jasmine before letting them challenge Pryce, for instance. This would mean that Pryce's team could then be tweaked to outlevel Jasmine, boosting him to the standard the seventh Gym Leader should be. I also have a swathe of opinions about what HGSS should have done differently, but that's by-the-by.

Honestly the vibe of the Johto region more than anything else makes it stand out for me. It really is a certain que ne sais quoi that I can't quite sum up, but is distinct to this place. The Johto leaders use a more interesting blend of types than the Kanto leaders do, and their headshots and descriptions from the official player guide made them look so mean and moody and mysterious to me. It took me ages to reach Pryce and Clair and I always found the concept of Whirlpool and Waterfall so intriguing.

1626012901170.png
1626012914279.png
1626012918776.png
1626012922948.png
1626012930005.png
1626013015800.png
1626013024644.png
1626013019275.png

Looking back, I think a major thing that gives the Johto region its charm is the way that it's big and small at the same time - you can travel across the entire region relatively quickly, with a few exceptions. But it's still quite spread out and contains a multitude of different areas - even the numerous caves all manage to feel distinct from one another.

But for me one of the principle things that sets GSC apart from the rest of the series is that these were the titles which properly gave form to the concept of the legendary Pokemon. The first generation (and the accompanying anime) established the fundamental mystery of Pokemon as a species, but it wasn't until here that we really got a sense of what that meant. Whereas Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo were, in the main, treated like out-of-control wild animals that needed to be found and tamed, the approach here was quite different. Whether it's the esteem and reverence given to Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Celebi, the impenetrable enigma of the Unown, the quasi-religious fundamentalism of the Blackthorn Dragon Clan, or even the appreciation of the people of Azalea Town towards Slowpoke, this was the generation where we started to view Pokemon as actual mysterious and complex beings worthy of respect and awe. While later games have greatly expanded on the concept, GSC crafts a sense of fundamental unknowability around legendary Pokemon in a way that's far better than any other Pokemon games have managed.

Going back and playing the original GS since they've been on the Virtual Console, I've been able to newly appreciate all the little touches to the lore Crystal adds - in my mind, the Tin Tower is the Tin Tower, never the Bell Tower, since the Burned Tower was formerly the Brass Tower - and the additional functions like Buena's Password and the Battle Tower. The expansion of the Dragon's Den works much better, too - the whole area and the quest in GS is so underwhelming, but in Crystal you really feel like you're working for that final badge.

But one major aspect of the games I feel is really underrated is the ability to trade with the previous generation, which can be beneficial to both sides since Gen I contains a multitude of moves which are rare and sometimes outright unavailable in Gen II. When you look at the direction they've taken the games since Ruby & Sapphire it's pretty astounding they bothered with backwards compatibility at all, so I appreciate it more in hindsight.

Also let's take a moment to talk about the soundtrack. Considering the relative simplicity of the 8-bit tracks they knocked it out of the park with so many of the game's tunes. Here is a prime example of the attention to detail in the games - the difference in pitch between day and night when encountering a Pokemon, for instance. I'll expound on some of my favourite tracks below; spoiler because this section might get long.

Rocket Hideout
The Rocket Hideout theme creeped the hell out of me as a kid, and kind of still does tbh. The discordant, almost mechanical shrill evokes a sense of utter malevolence and makes me feel like I'm being watched - not helped by the Persian statues and the talking Murkrow. I went back inside it once or twice after finishing the game; the fact that the theme continues to play even after the Hideout is cleared out always had me convinced that the place wasn't entirely abandoned and I'd still find something nasty lurking inside it.

Ruins of Alph
This track is a little overused (doing sextuple-duty for Ilex Forest, Union Cave, Mt Mortar, the Whirl Islands, and Goldenrod Tunnel as well as the Ruins of Alph) but it's a melancholy and mysterious tune that works just as well for the hollow sound of a gloomy cave or a winding shadowy forest. Its ubiquity arguably makes it the "classic Johto" track - after all, Johto has so many wild and untamed areas full of mystery and discovery. HGSS's version of this track isn't the worst, but it doesn't quite hit the same way this does.

Dark Cave/Ice Path
Similar but different to the previous theme. Starts off with a dull sort of buzz before the echoey tone comes in which really evokes the feeling of being in a gloomy, empty cavern no-one in their right mind would seriously explore. It's bleak in a very fantastical sort of way.

Gym Theme
It's harsh and ever so slightly shrill, but somehow it works - it conveys to me that you're in big boy* territory now. The bluntness of the notes means that it doesn't feel refined or perfected and it works in perfect tandem with the unfriendliness of the Violet, Cianwood, and Blackthorn Gyms as well as the hardness of Mahogany and Ecruteak's puzzles. It's a very specific and distinct mood that other generation's Gym themes don't match - Gen I's feels intentionally impressive like you're on ceremony, Gen III's sounds cerebral and testing, and Gen IV's is warm and inviting. HGSS's version comes nowhere near - it sounds grander and cleaner and I can't stand it.

*or girl, let's not be exclusionary

Battle! Kanto Gym Leader
They could have re-used the Johto Gym Leader theme but nah, they really wanted to impress upon you that Kanto Gym Leaders are different animals. I love the quick tempo of this one, and the intro really gets you pumped up. This is one of the small handful of tracks HGSS actually managed to do justice to.

"Places and People"
While it feels a little redundant that this theme is used for quite so many different areas (it plays in Saffron City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Viridian City, and Cinnabar Island as well as being the theme to the radio show quoted in the title) it's a pleasant and gentle suburban track which really does convey the peace Kanto has been enjoying ever since Red stamped out the menace of Team Rocket three years ago. Much like the Ruins of Alph track which features all over Johto, this being the most common theme in Kanto makes it the "Kanto signature" track. The vibes of both regions are so different, and this track encapsulates Kanto's more modern, urbanised vibe perfectly.

Encounter! Pokemaniac
Oh good lord, this. Actual child predator vibes. The too-high, lingering notes really set you on edge and convey that these people are not to be trusted. Played not just for Pokemaniacs but also for Burglars - they rarely seem benevolent and this game is no exception. Only the Scientist encounter theme from DPP can match this in creepiness. Surprisingly, HGSS managed to maintain the creepiness perfectly.

Rival Encounter
This theme conveys Silver's character perfectly. It's an unsympathetic melody - it sounds almost mocking, in a way - and leaves you in no doubt that this isn't someone friendly. Even after playing the game several times, I'm never quite sure when he'll battle me or just say something cruel (when you meet him in Olivine, for instance). And yet... underneath it all, there's just that slight pathetic edge to it. He's trying so hard to be a tough guy and it's almost convincing, but... not quite. Something about it just makes you realise he's not all that.

Tin Tower
Playing Crystal really ramped up my appreciation of this place. Since the player is forbidden from entering before beating Morty, but then also barred once they have awoken Suicune, Entei, and Raikou, Tin Tower became a highly mysterious place to me. What on earth could be inside that's so important I'm not allowed in? The player is only permitted entry after being given the Clear Bell - and even then only the bottom floor to encounter Suicune. It takes catching all three beasts to be allowed entry to the upper floors.

And the theme does not disappoint. It's simple and kind of understated, but the slow, thrumming beat and the echoing melody of this place impresses upon you that is a reverent and holy place. Absolutely awe-inspiring.

Legendary beast theme
Such a tune. Right from the first beat you get the sense that something huge and important is happening - a real sense of danger and excitement. Back when I made an effort to go hunting for the beasts and catch them, I would chase down Entei or Raikou and just let this track play for a couple of minutes. One of the few that HGSS actually did improve. I loved what they did with the unique sound effects for each beast - Raikou gets a zippy electric guitar line, Entei gets a big, throbbing bass tone, and Suicune gets a light chiming sound. If only they'd made the effort for Lugia and Ho-oh, too!

As for the most underrated mon in the game? I'm not sure, but one does come to mind.

1626010803287.png

Slowpoke
If you catch a Slowpoke first chance you get, it's a rock-solid team member. It learns Confusion not long after you catch it which wrecks every Pokemon in Morty's gym and will serve you well against Chuck. It annihilates Jasmine's Steelix with Surf and laughs off Pryce's Piloswine. And it can hold its own against most of Clair's team while also being an excellent counter to most of Team Rocket. As a bulky attacker it more than pulls its weight and it has an incredibly expansive movepool including Fire, Ice, Electric, Ghost, Fighting, and Ground moves which cover just about everything you need to. Note that Slowking is just as good as Slowbro but a little harder to obtain due to needing a trade to evolve (though theoretically possible much earlier on since you only need Surf to obtain the King's Rock, at which point you'll likely be in your early 20s, whereas Slowbro evolves starting at level 37).

So those are my thoughts for now on the games. I'm sure they'll be more in due course but I'd be very interested to hear other people's takes/rejoinders.

As a fun final note, not to brag but my lasting legacy as far as Crystal goes is my discovery of the Clair gift glitch, which was documented a couple of years back. I got curious after I read that the player can skip getting TM59 in HGSS and wondered if there was any way to do the same - to my surprise, I ended up getting two copies of the TM.

Minor, non-gamebreaking glitches like these have always been a source of interest to me, so I'm happy to have seemingly been the first person to discover this one. There are a couple of others I've come across as well, but this is the most noteworthy one.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Alright, since you asked...

Anyone who's read my other postings will probably know that Crystal was my first game, and one I've played multiple times. I've discussed the Gen II games a lot recently and I could probably go on talking about them some more!

Firstly - these games might not be the best in terms of challenge or spectacle, but the sheer level of innovation put in since Gen I and the sheer amount of tiny details - things you'd miss if you didn't otherwise know, like the fact that Pokemon get more friendly in the area you caught them or the fact that Pokemon which are related cannot breed - show the level of care and attention that was put into these titles which frankly puts later entries to shame. And for that, these games should be remembered and it's what I love about them.

So when they re-released GSC on the 3DS, I was thrilled. The VC release of Crystal even coincided on my birthday, which just made it all the sweeter.

Now, three years on from then, Crystal is the only Pokemon game I can say with conviction I've ever comprehensively finished. And that's something distinct to Gen I/II. You can't really say the same of the later games in the series - the Battle Towers/Frontiers are infinite so you can always do better, and there are all manner of other challenges like the Contests, Musicals, Mantine Surfing and so on which don't really ever end. But the Battle Tower in Crystal doesn't record streaks so once you've got a great team sorted for each level mode, you've basically finished it - and much like in RBY, there's a distinct lack of other post-game quests.

So when I played Crystal in 2018, I made it my mission to fully max it out like I was never able to back in 2001. Finished the Pokedex, obtained all the TMs, defeated every trainer, did all the in-game trades, dominated the Tower, even got Buena's phone number. The only thing I didn't bother to do was catch all the Unown variants but I'll probably do that eventually. The only "quest" I pursue in Crystal now is breeding shinies with useful egg moves. More on that in an upcoming challenge run to be shared at a later date...

Moving on to discussing the gameplay itself, I decided that my VC run on Crystal should be a "definitive" run where I'd use all my favourite Gen II critters. After whittling the list down to seven, I figured it'd be cool to do a rotation of seven team members for an additional bit of challenge. I'd already spent the lead-up to Crystal's VC release breeding a bunch of different species so in the end all but one of my team members in Crystal came from a different save file; using seven counteracted the additional EXP and stopped me from becoming grossly overlevelled.

So who did I use?

View attachment 357684
Typhlosion. My very first Pokemon (as a Cyndaquil, obvs) and my favourite starter. Unfortunately GSC is kind of where it peaked. But with wickedly good options in Earthquake, Thunderpunch, Dynamicpunch, Iron Tail, Hidden Power, it's a stellar team player and absolutely cleans up the Elite Four. Good to have you back, buddy.

View attachment 357687
Kingdra. The coolest dragon, at least for several generations, and one I never had the privilege of using back in the day. Traded back to Yellow as a Horsea to get some quirky Gen I exclusive moves like Substitute, Bubblebeam, and Rage. Lots of fun to raise, Horsea and Seadra are so stylish.

View attachment 357700
Tyranitar. Oh, how I struggled as a kid to get this thing. I'd pretty much finished the game before I caught a Larvitar, so there was hardly anyone left to battle. The grind was *i*n*s*a*n*e*. But finally - finally - I managed it. Here, it was easier as I was able to raise a Larvitar from the start of the game, even though it still didn't fully evolve until I reached Kanto. But what a monster it is. Slapped Curse on it and it became even more fearsome. Dragonite who?

View attachment 357690
Ursaring. The absolute bruiser. Teddiursa is not the most fun mon to raise in Gen II but my god, once it evolves it just wrecks things. It gets better Normal moves than Strength but it doesn't need them. Should have bred one with Crunch for some extra swish factor but Earthquake, Dynamicpunch, and Rollout all suffice.

View attachment 357688
Ampharos. I never got to use this back in the day because I never had Gold or Silver so I was determined to have this on my team. Taught it Zap Cannon since I couldn't get one with Thunderbolt - kind of sucky, but you win points for style. Once it evolved it was splendid.

View attachment 357691
Ledian. Some people really hate this mon, but I am not one of them - it's always been a favourite. I taught mine Ice Punch and Psybeam and it actually wasn't too bad. It's also a splendid Baton Passer with Agility to its slower brethren. Honestly a lot of fun to use and a good change of pace from all the overpowered titans.

View attachment 357689
Shuckle. To be more precise, Mania's Shuckie. I've adored Shuckle ever since I laid eyes on it. It's one that you really have to work to get the best out of and it's just so darn cute. Kind of reminds me of Pyukumuku in concept. Against the wrong opponent, Shuckle struggles - against an opponent it can handle it's damn near unbeatable. The extremity of the mon is part of its charm.

Now, onto gameplay - there's been a lot written about the level curve of the games over the years, and the disappointing lack of Johto mons showcased by important NPCs. I agree with a lot of it, and I do think some tweaks would have made it so much better. Forcing the player to take on Chuck and Jasmine before letting them challenge Pryce, for instance. This would mean that Pryce's team could then be tweaked to outlevel Jasmine, boosting him to the standard the seventh Gym Leader should be. I also have a swathe of opinions about what HGSS should have done differently, but that's by-the-by.

Honestly the vibe of the Johto region more than anything else makes it stand out for me. It really is a certain que ne sais quoi that I can't quite sum up, but is distinct to this place. The Johto leaders use a more interesting blend of types than the Kanto leaders do, and their headshots and descriptions from the official player guide made them look so mean and moody and mysterious to me. It took me ages to reach Pryce and Clair and I always found the concept of Whirlpool and Waterfall so intriguing.

View attachment 357702View attachment 357703View attachment 357704View attachment 357705View attachment 357706View attachment 357707View attachment 357709View attachment 357708

Looking back, I think a major thing that gives the Johto region its charm is the way that it's big and small at the same time - you can travel across the entire region relatively quickly, with a few exceptions. But it's still quite spread out and contains a multitude of different areas - even the numerous caves all manage to feel distinct from one another.

But for me one of the principle things that sets GSC apart from the rest of the series is that these were the titles which properly gave form to the concept of the legendary Pokemon. The first generation (and the accompanying anime) established the fundamental mystery of Pokemon as a species, but it wasn't until here that we really got a sense of what that meant. Whereas Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo were, in the main, treated like out-of-control wild animals that needed to be found and tamed, the approach here was quite different. Whether it's the esteem and reverence given to Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Celebi, the impenetrable enigma of the Unown, the quasi-religious fundamentalism of the Blackthorn Dragon Clan, or even the appreciation of the people of Azalea Town towards Slowpoke, this was the generation where we started to view Pokemon as actual mysterious and complex beings worthy of respect and awe. While later games have greatly expanded on the concept, GSC crafts a sense of fundamental unknowability around legendary Pokemon in a way that's far better than any other Pokemon games have managed.

Going back and playing the original GS since they've been on the Virtual Console, I've been able to newly appreciate all the little touches to the lore Crystal adds - in my mind, the Tin Tower is the Tin Tower, never the Bell Tower, since the Burned Tower was formerly the Brass Tower - and the additional functions like Buena's Password and the Battle Tower. The expansion of the Dragon's Den works much better, too - the whole area and the quest in GS is so underwhelming, but in Crystal you really feel like you're working for that final badge.

But one major aspect of the games I feel is really underrated is the ability to trade with the previous generation, which can be beneficial to both sides since Gen I contains a multitude of moves which are rare and sometimes outright unavailable in Gen II. When you look at the direction they've taken the games since Ruby & Sapphire it's pretty astounding they bothered with backwards compatibility at all, so I appreciate it more in hindsight.

Also let's take a moment to talk about the soundtrack. Considering the relative simplicity of the 8-bit tracks they knocked it out of the park with so many of the game's tunes. Here is a prime example of the attention to detail in the games - the difference in pitch between day and night when encountering a Pokemon, for instance. I'll expound on some of my favourite tracks below; spoiler because this section might get long.

Rocket Hideout
The Rocket Hideout theme creeped the hell out of me as a kid, and kind of still does tbh. The discordant, almost mechanical shrill evokes a sense of utter malevolence and makes me feel like I'm being watched - not helped by the Persian statues and the talking Murkrow. I went back inside it once or twice after finishing the game; the fact that the theme continues to play even after the Hideout is cleared out always had me convinced that the place wasn't entirely abandoned and I'd still find something nasty lurking inside it.

Ruins of Alph
This track is a little overused (doing sextuple-duty for Ilex Forest, Union Cave, Mt Mortar, the Whirl Islands, and Goldenrod Tunnel as well as the Ruins of Alph) but it's a melancholy and mysterious tune that works just as well for the hollow sound of a gloomy cave or a winding shadowy forest. Its ubiquity arguably makes it the "classic Johto" track - after all, Johto has so many wild and untamed areas full of mystery and discovery. HGSS's version of this track isn't the worst, but it doesn't quite hit the same way this does.

Dark Cave/Ice Path
Similar but different to the previous theme. Starts off with a dull sort of buzz before the echoey tone comes in which really evokes the feeling of being in a gloomy, empty cavern no-one in their right mind would seriously explore. It's bleak in a very fantastical sort of way.

Gym Theme
It's harsh and ever so slightly shrill, but somehow it works - it conveys to me that you're in big boy* territory now. The bluntness of the notes means that it doesn't feel refined or perfected and it works in perfect tandem with the unfriendliness of the Violet, Cianwood, and Blackthorn Gyms as well as the hardness of Mahogany and Ecruteak's puzzles. It's a very specific and distinct mood that other generation's Gym themes don't match - Gen I's feels intentionally impressive like you're on ceremony, Gen III's sounds cerebral and testing, and Gen IV's is warm and inviting. HGSS's version comes nowhere near - it sounds grander and cleaner and I can't stand it.

*or girl, let's not be exclusionary

Battle! Kanto Gym Leader
They could have re-used the Johto Gym Leader theme but nah, they really wanted to impress upon you that Kanto Gym Leaders are different animals. I love the quick tempo of this one, and the intro really gets you pumped up. This is one of the small handful of tracks HGSS actually managed to do justice to.

"Places and People"
While it feels a little redundant that this theme is used for quite so many different areas (it plays in Saffron City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Viridian City, and Cinnabar Island as well as being the theme to the radio show quoted in the title) it's a pleasant and gentle suburban track which really does convey the peace Kanto has been enjoying ever since Red stamped out the menace of Team Rocket three years ago. Much like the Ruins of Alph track which features all over Johto, this being the most common theme in Kanto makes it the "Kanto signature" track. The vibes of both regions are so different, and this track encapsulates Kanto's more modern, urbanised vibe perfectly.

Encounter! Pokemaniac
Oh good lord, this. Actual child predator vibes. The too-high, lingering notes really set you on edge and convey that these people are not to be trusted. Played not just for Pokemaniacs but also for Burglars and rarely seem benevolent and this game is no exception. Only the Scientist encounter theme from DPP can match this in creepiness. Surprisingly, HGSS managed to maintain the creepiness perfectly.

Rival Encounter
This theme conveys Silver's character perfectly. It's an unsympathetic melody - it sounds almost mocking, in a way - and leaves you in no doubt that this isn't someone friendly. Even after playing the game several times, I'm never quite sure when he'll battle me or just say something cruel (when you meet him in Olivine, for instance). And yet... underneath it all, there's just that slight pathetic edge to it. He's trying so hard to be a tough guy and it's almost convincing, but... not quite. Something about it just makes you realise he's not all that.

Tin Tower
Playing Crystal really ramped up my appreciation of this place. Since the player is forbidden from entering before beating Morty, but then also barred once they have awoken Suicune, Entei, and Raikou, Tin Tower became a highly mysterious place to me. What on earth could be inside that's so important I'm not allowed in? The player is only permitted entry after being given the Clear Bell - and even then only the bottom floor to encounter Suicune. It takes catching all three beasts to be allowed entry to the upper floors.

And the theme does not disappoint. It's simple and kind of understated, but the slow, thrumming beat and the echoing melody of this place impresses upon you that is a reverent and holy place. Absolutely awe-inspiring.

Legendary beast theme
Such a tune. Right from the first beat you get the sense that something huge and important is happening - a real sense of danger and excitement. Back when I made an effort to go hunting for the beasts and catch them, I would chase down Entei or Raikou and just let this track play for a couple of minutes. One of the few that HGSS actually did improve. I loved what they did with the unique sound effects for each beast - Raikou gets a zippy electric guitar line, Entei gets a big, throbbing bass tone, and Suicune gets a light chiming sound. If only they'd made the effort for Lugia and Ho-oh, too!

As for the most underrated mon in the game? I'm not sure, but one does come to mind.

View attachment 357701
Slowpoke
If you catch a Slowpoke first chance you get, it's a rock-solid team member. It learns Confusion not long after you catch it which wrecks every Pokemon in Morty's gym and will serve you well against Chuck. It annihilates Jasmine's Steelix with Surf and laughs off Pryce's Piloswine. And it can hold its own against most of Clair's team while also being an excellent counter to most of Team Rocket. As a bulky attacker it more than pulls its weight and it has an incredibly expansive movepool including Fire, Ice, Electric, Ghost, Fighting, and Ground moves which cover just about everything you need to. Note that Slowking is just as good as Slowbro but a little harder to obtain due to needing a trade to evolve (though theoretically possible much earlier on since you only need Surf to obtain the King's Rock, at which point you'll likely be in your early 20s, whereas Slowbro evolves starting at level 37).

So those are my thoughts for now on the games. I'm sure they'll be more in due course but I'd be very interested to hear other people's takes/rejoinders.

As a fun final note, not to brag but my lasting legacy as far as Crystal goes is my discovery of the Clair gift glitch, which was documented a couple of years back. I got curious after I read that the player can skip getting TM59 in HGSS and wondered if there was any way to do the same - to my surprise, I ended up getting two copies of the TM.

Minor, non-gamebreaking glitches like these have always been a source of interest to me, so I'm happy to have seemingly been the first person to discover this one. There are a couple of others I've come across as well, but this is the most noteworthy one.

Thanks for reading.
Awesome post, from beginning to end.

I really love how you discovered the Clair glitch lol.

Incidentally, I'm interested in unearthing some secrets of GSC myself - it seems that there is still much we don't know.

QuentinQuonce

Awesome post, from beginning to end.

I really love how you discovered the Clair glitch lol.

Incidentally, I'm interested in unearthing some secrets of GSC myself - it seems that there is still much we don't know.
Well, in that case, I'll tell you all about another curiosity I discovered a while ago, relating to the GS Ball event in Crystal.

When the GS Ball event activates and Ilex Forest becomes restless, the two NPCs in the gatehouse north of Ilex Forest change position. The green girl who speculates that Celebi must be a Grass-type Pokemon moves into the forest, blocking the path west of the shrine so as to prevent the player from accessing the north portion of the area. If spoken to, she asks "did something happen to the forest's guardian?" The NPC with the Butterfree who gives out TM12 moves to the gatehouse exit, and will prevent the player from entering Ilex Forest via the north entrance, saying that there is a problem with the forest.

However - and here's the curious thing - they don't move at the same time.

Once Kurt dashes out of his house to examine Ilex Forest, if the player exits the game will take control and direct them after him. However, whiting out in his house (in the same fashion as the Clair glitch above) will spawn the player outside of the last Pokemon Centre used. Returning to Azalea Town, Kurt will be in position in front of the forest, but the player will not be forced to join him unless they walk up to his house.

Because of this, Ilex Forest can be entered, but the green girl will not have moved, meaning that the player can exit through the north gatehouse. However, the TM12 NPC will be blocking the exit on the right tile. Since she only responds if the player moves to the door from the tile above or to the left, the player can even speak to her as long as they do not move, and although she will repeat that they cannot enter Ilex Forest, they can nonetheless exit. The player can pass her, but then she will not let them back in. Apparently, the green girl only moves once Kurt gives the player the GS Ball, but the TM12 girl moves once Kurt leaves his house.

I have no idea why the developers didn't simply have both NPCs move at the same time, but it's a really weird oversight.

Well, in that case, I'll tell you all about another curiosity I discovered a while ago, relating to the GS Ball event in Crystal.

When the GS Ball event activates and Ilex Forest becomes restless, the two NPCs in the gatehouse north of Ilex Forest change position. The green girl who speculates that Celebi must be a Grass-type Pokemon moves into the forest, blocking the path west of the shrine so as to prevent the player from accessing the north portion of the area. If spoken to, she asks "did something happen to the forest's guardian?" The NPC with the Butterfree who gives out TM12 moves to the gatehouse exit, and will prevent the player from entering Ilex Forest via the north entrance, saying that there is a problem with the forest.

However - and here's the curious thing - they don't move at the same time.

Once Kurt dashes out of his house to examine Ilex Forest, if the player exits the game will take control and direct them after him. However, whiting out in his house (in the same fashion as the Clair glitch above) will spawn the player outside of the last Pokemon Centre used. Returning to Azalea Town, Kurt will be in position in front of the forest, but the player will not be forced to join him unless they walk up to his house.

Because of this, Ilex Forest can be entered, but the green girl will not have moved, meaning that the player can exit through the north gatehouse. However, the TM12 NPC will be blocking the exit on the right tile. Since she only responds if the player moves to the door from the tile above or to the left, the player can even speak to her as long as they do not move, and although she will repeat that they cannot enter Ilex Forest, they can nonetheless exit. The player can pass her, but then she will not let them back in. Apparently, the green girl only moves once Kurt gives the player the GS Ball, but the TM12 girl moves once Kurt leaves his house.

I have no idea why the developers didn't simply have both NPCs move at the same time, but it's a really weird oversight.
Interesting. There's so much we don't even know lol.

I've always wondered, what happens if you get knocked out by the Electrodes in the Rocket Hideout? Alternatively, if you use an Escape Rope...?

You're kinda forced to fight them, I know this first hand from a miserable Nuzlocke I did recently...but if you faint or escape, do you still need to?

One thing I find really cool about GSC is how easy it is to change time and get all the benefits, something not possible in DPP or beyond. You can therefore do Buena's Password multiple times or try changing ID numbers multiple times to win the game show that gives you a Master Ball.

QuentinQuonce

Interesting. There's so much we don't even know lol.

I've always wondered, what happens if you get knocked out by the Electrodes in the Rocket Hideout? Alternatively, if you use an Escape Rope...?

You're kinda forced to fight them, I know this first hand from a miserable Nuzlocke I did recently...but if you faint or escape, do you still need to?
I've done this; experimented a lot using poison whiteouts to try and see if you can sequence break. You can skip talking to Eusine in the Burned Tower but that's about it.

If you faint and get returned to the Pokemon Centre, you have to make your way to the Hideout. Once you re-enter the generator room the game takes over and directs you to the left side so you can't access Lance's side. What's interesting is that - unlike in HGSS - Lance's sprite does not appear on the right-hand side of the room at all if you go into the other parts of the hideout surrounding the generator room. He just walks offscreen and disappears. Bit disappointing but not really surprising.

One thing I find really cool about GSC is how easy it is to change time and get all the benefits, something not possible in DPP or beyond. You can therefore do Buena's Password multiple times or try changing ID numbers multiple times to win the game show that gives you a Master Ball.
Yeah I did this aha. I wasn't going to wait a month to get her phone number.

I've done this; experimented a lot using poison whiteouts to try and see if you can sequence break. You can skip talking to Eusine in the Burned Tower but that's about it

If you faint and get returned to the Pokemon Centre, you have to make your way to the Hideout. Once you re-enter the generator room the game takes over and directs you to the left side so you can't access Lance's side. What's interesting is that - unlike in HGSS - Lance's sprite does not appear on the right-hand side of the room at all if you go into the other parts of the hideout surrounding the generator room. He just walks offscreen and disappears. Bit disappointing but not really surprising
Ah, I see - good to know!

Yeah I did this aha. I wasn't going to wait a month to get her phone number.
You got her number? Nice, I never did that lol. I only did it to get free Rare Candies/Nuggets haha.

I do wonder what the benefits of having her number is, the Bulbapedia section doesn't really mention anything useful.

I was hoping you'd get some really useful secret information on Pokemon or items, but the most I remember is about the Game Corner.

QuentinQuonce

Ah, I see - good to know!

You got her number? Nice, I never did that lol. I only did it to get free Rare Candies/Nuggets haha.

I do wonder what the benefits of having her number is, the Bulbapedia section doesn't really mention anything useful.

I was hoping you'd get some really useful secret information on Pokemon or items, but the most I remember is about the Game Corner.
It's mostly for show. She tells you that there's a certain slot machine which will pay out more but she doesn't say which. Which might be useful if you're prepared to spend time looking for it. I guess in 2001, if the information about how to access the high-paying slot machine was online at all, it wasn't verified and was considered a wild rumour.

It's mostly for show. She tells you that there's a certain slot machine which will pay out more but she doesn't say which. Which might be useful if you're prepared to spend time looking for it. I guess in 2001, if the information about how to access the high-paying slot machine was online at all, it wasn't verified and was considered a wild rumour.
If only she could confirm if Shuckle can genuinely create Rare Candies or not...

I am an infamous critic of the Johto games (they have my wanted poster in Goldenrod) but I adore the rustic setting of the region. It played in perfect contrast to the urbanized Kanto.

Now if the games only let Johto Pokemon actually inhabit the land.
Yep, I really loved rustic areas like Azalea Town and Blackthorn City. Tbf I like the big cities like Olivine and Goldenrod a lot too lol.

Agreed, I wish Game Freak did that in the VC versions at least haha. Most of them are hard to get unless they're called Sentret or Hoothoot...

QuentinQuonce

So as I mentioned I've been doing a large amount of breeding lately in GSC and if there's one major complaint I can register about these games it's that breeding in GSC absolutely sucks. Only RS and FRLG are quite as torturous, but there's no reason to breed in RS when Emerald exists and FRLG at least is quicker.

Meanwhile the bike in GSC is not that speedy, the controls are rather sluggish so turning is more of an effort than later games, and crucially there's no way to cut egg hatch times, which is particularly un-fun when breeding species with larger hatching times. So many of the decent egg moves in GSC require chain breeding, too.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that there isn't a reliable straight path on which to rack up distance like later games have. The Goldenrod-Route 34 path isn't consistent enough to be useful; NPCs frequently blunder into you, and the longest possible path has grass at the end of it so you invariably end up wasting time with encounters. Cycling Road isn't great either since the upward journey is such a slog. IMO the best area to hatch eggs is the side path in the National Park, which isn't that long but is at least free of any impediments.

1626212096241.png

Gen 2 seemed like an exceptional follow up to generation one. The thing that really sells this generation of games to me is the fact that you could travel to Kanto after beating Johto. I don't see gamefreak doing something like this again in future titles.
I agree! 2 regions for the price of 1 is quite the bargain, especially when one region is literally the one of the previous game and features Red + Blue.

So as I mentioned I've been doing a large amount of breeding lately in GSC and if there's one major complaint I can register about these games it's that breeding in GSC absolutely sucks. Only RS and FRLG are quite as torturous, but there's no reason to breed in RS when Emerald exists and FRLG at least is quicker.

Meanwhile the bike in GSC is not that speedy, the controls are rather sluggish so turning is more of an effort than later games, and crucially there's no way to cut egg hatch times, which is particularly un-fun when breeding species with larger hatching times. So many of the decent egg moves in GSC require chain breeding, too.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that there isn't a reliable straight path on which to rack up distance like later games have. The Goldenrod-Route 34 path isn't consistent enough to be useful; NPCs frequently blunder into you, and the longest possible path has grass at the end of it so you invariably end up wasting time with encounters. Cycling Road isn't great either since the upward journey is such a slog. IMO the best area to hatch eggs is the side path in the National Park, which isn't that long but is at least free of any impediments.

View attachment 358383
Sudowoodo is pretty underrated in Crystal. Rock Slide at level 28 is a big asset, especially against Lance
Yeah, Rock Slide is pretty useful against his Flying type team. Just watch out for Gyarados and heal up if needed, and you should be good.

View attachment 358383
True enough! I tried to find a trick that could help me hatch eggs without effort but couldn't do so, and you're right about the lack of good paths.

I'm currently trying to hatch a Leech Seed Chikorita and taking into account the time it took to get the father Exeggcute to the point he could learn Leech Seed (and then the time it took for him and my female Chikorita, the mother, to breed), it's taking quite a bit of time haha.

QuentinQuonce

Technically for 0 effort, you can "hold" up endlessly in somewhere like Morty's gym or preferably a building with stairs you can walk up into, like the department store.
Oh I actually did do that for a while! Used a coin to force the joystick up and just walked forward onto the invisible floor. Even after an hour the egg still wasn't anywhere near hatching. Easier to just watch TV and ride back and forth along the path I cited imo.

Oh I actually did do that for a while! Used a coin to force the joystick up and just walked forward onto the invisible floor. Even after an hour the egg still wasn't anywhere near hatching. Easier to just watch TV and ride back and forth along the path I cited imo.
Did you just walk forward using the joystick or the keys?

Also, the Slowpoke family is pretty rad, but did you know you can find Slowbro themselves at L25 in the Well?!

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Did you just walk forward using the joystick or the keys?
The joystick, using a coin wedged under it.

Also, the Slowpoke family is pretty rad, but did you know you can find Slowbro themselves at L25 in the Well?!
I did! That's the only way to farm King's Rocks iirc, after you've used up the one found there.

Catching a Slowbro has its merits vs raising one up, but that's a fair bit of backtracking once you've got Surf.

The joystick, using a coin wedged under it.

I did! That's the only way to farm King's Rocks iirc, after you've used up the one found there.

Catching a Slowbro has its merits vs raising one up, but that's a fair bit of backtracking once you've got Surf.
Ah! Thanks for letting me know! Gotta try it next time.

Cool lol. King's Rocks being found there is really neat, I didn't know you could get more...

Eh, not very hard. You have Repels and a Bicycle around that point in the game.

While it can't be done in the VC versions, in my mind Stadium 2 greatly enchances the Gen II experience greatly. While the Battle Tower in Crystal is nice and all(a bit rough but it's the first of its kind in the series so it gets a pass), There are many fun challenges you can use your carefully-bred Pokemon with in that game, and it is a great place to store excess items and pokemon using the lab, on top of being able to trade if you have two Gen I/II games(There actually are unique animations if you evolve Pokemon trading this way). There also is a nice catalogue of movesets and other info of all 251 Pokemon in the game, and introdued an alternative battle mode that is still played on Smogon to this day, Little Cup.

EDIT: While far more minor, I personally liked these things as well: There also is the Mystery Gift function in the game with exclusive potential prizes. To add onto that, there are two trophy decorations you can get for you room via items attached to prize Pokemon, and there is a little mode to have a full 3D layout of your ingame bedroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)