Omastar @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The concept here is simple but deadly. Slurpuff and Omastar need a safe turn to set up before they can sweep, and Uxie grants them that with Dual Screens + Memento. Not only this, but it makes Slurpuff even more difficult to revenge kill and lets Omastar absorb survive Mach Punch and then activate Weak Armor so its sweeping capabilities are even further strengthened. Who you switch in after a Memento is entirely based on the opponent's team.

Despite what might look like an odd combo, Slurpuff + Omastar complement each other greatly while they're both alive. Probopass, one of the biggest walls to BD Slurpuff, is easily KO'ed by Omastar after a Smash. Meanwhile, bulky Fighting-types like Gurrdurr and Hariyama don't stand a chance against Slurpuff thanks to the ol' wonderful type chart.

That's about all that can be said about this core, which is a good thing, it's really simple to use, give it a try!

Last edited:
This thread needs more Uxie!

Offensive Core:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Psychic / Thunder Wave / Magic Coat

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Flamethrower

Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

The concept here is simple but deadly. Slurpuff and Omastar need a safe turn to set up before they can sweep, and Uxie grants them that with Dual Screens + Memento. Not only this, but it makes Slurpuff even more difficult to revenge kill and lets Omastar absorb survive Mach Punch and then activate Weak Armor so its sweeping capabilities are even further strengthened. Who you switch in after a Memento is entirely based on the opponent's team.

Despite what might look like an odd combo, Slurpuff + Omastar complement each other greatly while they're both alive. Probopass, one of the biggest walls to BD Slurpuff, is easily KO'ed by Omastar after a Smash. Meanwhile, bulky Fighting-types like Gurrdurr and Hariyama don't stand a chance against Slurpuff thanks to the ol' wonderful type chart.

That's about all that can be said about this core, which is a good thing, it's really simple to use, give it a try!
Why the fuck would I run White Herb on Omastar. Its not going to be high up in HP anyways after it sets up and thus won't be able to use its defenses whatsoever. Most priority will kill in the range that it is at 30-25% after it sets up and moreover White Herb just isn't beneficial, as you just cannot make use of the defense boost. Instead with Shell Smash Omastar, you really are looking at stuff like Life Orb to hit harder or Lum / Sash / Shuca / Chople to have an easier time setting up.

Unless it is a SmashPass Gorebyss, White Herb is a poor item on any shell smashing sweeper, simply because there are far better items to give it more sweeping potential or an easier time sweeping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the fuck would I run White Herb on Omastar. Its not going to be high up in HP anyways after it sets up and thus won't be able to use its defenses whatsoever. Most priority will kill in the range that it is at 30-25% after it sets up and moreover White Herb just isn't beneficial, as you just cannot make use of the defense boost. Instead with Shell Smash Omastar, you really are looking at stuff like Life Orb to hit harder or Lum / Sash / Shuca / Chople to have an easier time setting up.

Unless it is a SmashPass Gorebyss, White Herb is a poor item on any shell smashing sweeper, simply because there are far better items to give it more sweeping potential or an easier time sweeping.
Omastar isn't going to be in the 30-25% range after it sets up because of Dual Screens + Memento effectively quartering any damage your opponent might do to you (unless your opponent has Giga Drain or something, but then just don't switch it in).

But I do think White Herb is a bit too easy to play around with Intimidate, and forces Omastar to use Hydro Pump for power, so I'll replace it with Life Orb as that still seems like a better option.

Ok so I've been running this core lately and xzern said it was cool so I guess I'll post it and get you guys opinion. :]

Megabuzz (Electivire) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Cross chop

EVs are for OHKOing mortar with EQ 100% of the time. T-bolt for STAB, EQ for Dragalge, Flamethrower for Ferro and Plume and Cross chop is there because fuck audino. E-vire is really good at forcing switches, So I use him to deal as much damage as possible and wittle down opponents easier.

Knock Knock (Sneasel) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

This thing just Spams knock off and kills archeops

kek (Slurpuff) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Psychic / Energy ball

Takes care of everthing else. Slurpuff is stupid good and can easily set up 2 or 3 calm minds before getting below 50%, from then on you sweep. Flamthrower is there in case Ferro does not get killed by E-vire, Gleam for somewhat powerful STAB adn psychic hits weezing and Dragalge. Energy ball rapes Toad.

Im to lazy to write more because I have not slept in two days and i wrote that long ass post in the viability ranking

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Offensive core:

Archeops @ Power Herb
Ability: Defeatist
Adamant Nature
- Sky Attack
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Mesprit @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- U-Turn / Fire Punch
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Defog

This Archeops, Mesprit and Swanna core is a favourite of mine in this meta. The idea is an Archeops sweep late game, like normal, but this one is well prepared for some of the top threats to Archeops. For example, Seismitoad and Rhydon are ruined by Mesprit's Energy Ball, and Swanna is actually a decent counter to Combusken. Feraligatr and Samurott are hurt very badly by Mesprit's Energy Ball, and Gurdurr is almost KO'd by Psychic. All the while having good momentum throughout the match with Mesprit's and Archeop's U-Turn combo. Swanna also carries Defog, because we all know how deadly Stealth Rock is to Archeops' game. As Sky Attack is only one-time use, Swanna's Hurricane is also useful for bulky Grass-Type Pokémon if the opponent has multiple of them. It's a fairly straight forward core, really. You should try to finish it off with a priority user and a powerful Fire- or Fighting-Type Pokémon like Gurdurr or Pyroar, just for Ferroseed. Alternatively, you can run Fire Punch over U-Turn on Mesprit if you don't care about the momentum. Healing Wish is there to give Archeops a second chance if I'm caught off by a powerful priority attack because... that happens a lot lol. Still learning the metagame ;_;.

Defensive core:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD (you could run 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD)
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Night Shade
I've run this set since gen 5. It used to dominate in UU, now it's in NU. The best pokemon I've come across for taking hits, both special and physical.

Torkoal @ Lum Berry/Lefties
Ability: White Smoke
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic/Yawn
- Lava Plume
The best defensive spinner I've seen to date.

Balance Core:

Lanturn_XY.gif
+
hariyama.gif
+
ferroseed.gif

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

This is a Balance Core that i've been using on Bulky Offense for a while. Specs Lanturn is easily my favourite pivot in the entire tier, hitting surprisingly hard as well as providing momentum with Volt Switch. Ferroseed is in my opinion, the best defensive pokemon in the tier right now as it's great typing, ability and movepool provides a ton of team support. Hariyama is a great offensive tank that can use his Dual Priority to revenge kill loads of threats as well as take many hits. This core synergizes very well together and I highly suggest it to anyone looking to try out Bulky Offense.

Defensive Core: Granbull + Sliggoo

I honestly don't know why Sliggoo is in D rank, it's really good. Absolutely monster Sp. Def. Anyway, I've had a lot of success with this core.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Nature: Impish
-Play Rough
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Protect

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 8 Sp.Atk
Nature: Calm
-Rain Dance
-Rest
-Dragon Pulse
-Toxic

This core does well together because whenever Sliggoo is out, there will almost certainly be a sense of urgency by your opponent to hit Sliggoo with a Knock Off, and Granbull can switch in and take almost no damage from it. Also, their types work well together, with Granbull being immune to Dragon, and because Sliggoo has about 535 Sp. Def, Eviolite included. Sliggoo can shake off pretty much any special Poison-type move to counter any threat to Granbull. I know that both of them have toxic, but you can run Thunder Wave on Granbull if you want, or some other move on Sliggoo, like thunderbolt or infestation.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

These guys form a cool hazard core for offensive teams. Mesprit offers Stealth Rock support and can come in on Ground- and Psychic-types for Garbodor, while Garbodor is just generally bulky as fuck and can take various hits for offensive teams. Garbodor also carries a nice resistance to Bug, which helps in punishing U-turn users in congruence with Rocky Helmet. Here are some sets:

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- U-turn / Healing Wish / Dazzling Gleam

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch / Seed Bomb / Toxic Spikes

These guys form a cool hazard core for offensive teams. Mesprit offers Stealth Rock support and can come in on Ground- and Psychic-types for Garbodor, while Garbodor is just generally bulky as fuck and can take various hits for offensive teams. Garbodor also carries a nice resistance to Bug, which helps in punishing U-turn users in congruence with Rocky Helmet. Here are some sets:

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- U-turn / Healing Wish / Dazzling Gleam

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch / Seed Bomb / Toxic Spikes
the core seems to be interesting, could you tell us how mesprit evs work

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
EVs are to outrun modest mesprit, which is esp helpful if you go with physical mesprit, which I quite like. but energy ball is just too good on a stealth rock mon.

I also like some bulk on SR mesprit bc it functions more as a bulky offensive pivot than it does a powerful attacker, and even tho they're pretty minor, a little bulk can go a long way on an offensive team. plus, it outruns modest mesprit anyways, so speed-wise, it's on the same level as most of them are but with some more bulk.

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 232 HP /252 Def /24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- X-Scissor
- Protect/Swords Dance

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang/Earthquake
- Fire Punch/Knock Off
- Stone Edge/Double-Edge

Alright, this core starts with the classic lead Ninjask. It can set up a sub on any poke that wants to SR, and get all your speed boosts up. X-Scissor is there for at least one attacking move; Protect is for additional turns of SB, which really can't hurt, and Swords Dance is for the handy +2; tho its not really needed. After enough Speed Boosts, it can BP(barring no priority user ruins you day)into Marowak. Marowak is naturally is a slow sack of shit, making it one of it's only downfalls. Tho after all the speed provided for Ninjask, Marowak can easily sweep! SD is their to reach REALLY scary heights to your attack after the Thick Club. Bonemerang/Earthquake can be used as STAB options. Fire Punch is for coverage and Knock Off is just good to have. Double-Edge hits everything hard, considering Ground/.Normal is perfect neutral coverage, and with Rock Head there's no recoil. You can also run Stone Edge for pesky flying types that want to switch in.

Here are some calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 518-612 (159.3 - 188.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 780-920 (181.8 - 214.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 396-468 (106.1 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 266-314 (91 - 107.5%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 588-692 (184.9 - 217.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Metang and Sliggoo core Specially defensive core:

Metang:
Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Sliggoo:
Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass / Sludge Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Now, most of you will look at this, see NFE pokemon and skip straight to look at the seismitoad's and what have you of NU. Well fine, you can do that, but you'd be missing out on an amazing specially defensive core. This core has EXTREME bulk, that's not exaggerating. Consider that I didn't invest in sliggoo's special defense and yet it is a monster. Let me explain:
The reason why I have chosen these two pokemon is because they cover each other perfectly, they have the perfect typing for each other as Sliggoo is weak to fairy, ice and dragon, metang resists all of those. With Sliggoo's extreme bulk, you can cover the whole spectrum when it comes to specially offensive pokemon such as Magmortar, Vivvilon, Sceptile, Samurott, Offensive vileplume, etc etc. With sliggoo's sap sipper ability, it can hard wall any specially offensive grass type aswell as switch in on vileplume, vivvilon, jumpluff's sleep powders and powder moves in general. Not to mention pokemon such as Jynx, mesprit, uxie and musharna that are usually incredibly hard to counter. If you have scouted set properly for mesprit, you have metang as a switchin if they don't carry knock off however specially offensive is the more popular set. Not to mention if you need a stealth rocker, you can have metang as an option and even have a bit more attack investment. With this utility, you can switch in on a special attacker, then set up rocks as they are forced to switch out since they can't touch you.
Also, with the current meta enjoying the use of sun and heat rock, this core is almost a full on stop to sun and specially offensive attackers. Sliggoo can switch in on victreebell, typhlosion and any solarbeam is needed to stall out turns of sun while exeggutor is hard walled by metang, since most common eggy sets don't carry hp fire and prefer to run sunny day or sleep powder.
Not only is the core good, it's also powerful with the coverage moves it gets. Since sliggoo isn't even investing in special defense, you can invest or even go fully specially defensive, or you could stay as a bulky offensive attacker and still have outstanding bulk.
My last point to why this set is so good, with the right physically defensive support, you can maintain immune to knock offs with a mon such as defensive slurpuff or granbull, you can not feel threatened at all by the oppositions specially offensive pokemon and as long as you play it correctly, you can easily beat every special attacker one on one.
Here are some calcs to prove the amazing bulk:
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 104-123 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 51.5% chance to 3HKO (eruption from full does even less)
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 74-88 (21.7 - 25.8%) -- 3.7% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Mismagius Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 234-278 (68.8 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 168-198 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Metang: 126-149 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mesprit Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Metang: 83-99 (25.6 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Metang: 82-97 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Metang: 78-94 (24.1 - 29.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 4HKO

Please note that Sliggoo has no special defense investment nor does it have a specially defensive nature [/hide]
And if you wanted to run specially defensive sliggoo with rest? well... I'm gonna just say, nothing will break that thing unless it's at +6 (specially offensive of course)
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 109-127 (32 - 37.3%) -- 86.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 85-100 (25 - 29.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 109-130 (32 - 38.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO

I don't really need to say anymore, it's an amazing core that has done me very well in helping me ladder to number 1 on more than one occasion. Please, feel free to give it a go, I am sure it won't let you down! :]

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Ninjask @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe why people run max speed on a pokemon that outspeeds the entire metagame puzzles me...
Just run 232 HP / 252+ Def / 24 Spe to outspeed up to 115s with no boost, and take unboosted hits at least somewhat well.

Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- X-Scissor
- Protect

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
This honestly has to be the oldest core in the book. Pass speed to one of the heaviest hitters in Marowak; which patches up its lackluster speed and allows for an uninterrupted sweep: perfect recipe for success. As cliche and gimmicky as it seems, I've been trying it out recently on a team with Marowak, Feraligatr, and Xatu as potential recipients, as it forces the opponent to keep guessing as I have multiple options when it comes to passing. In general the team can work without pass, but if you get a chance to pass some boosts to Marowak, it can literally be game over right there, as this thing just hits. so. hard.

Definitely recommend this old as fuck core to anyone who's bored one afternoon and wants something to build around.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Defensive core:

+

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Pain Split
- Drain Punch / Seed Bomb
- Seed Bomb / Gunk Shot

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Really good hazard stacking core for balanced teams. They have solid synergy and provide a nice defensive backbone for teams to fall back on while stacking hazards to whittle away at shit. Garbodor has slashitis but you can pretty much choose any three of those moves + Spikes depending on your team structure and it'll almost always work well (Toxic and Clear Smog are good choices too). Seismitoad's spread is also pretty customizable but I prefer this one on this particular core because it can take special hits that Garbo can't while retaining the ability to check Ground-types.

Also note that Audino fits pretty well with these two if you can find room, max Def Toad works best then but these guys still work pretty well as a standalone core

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Offensive Core:

Torterra @ Choice Band
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

TURTLES. Shell Smash Carracosta and Choice Band Torterra works well together as they resists most of eachother's weakness (Torterra resists Ground-type attacks, Carracosta resists Fire- and Flying-type attacks). They also can deal with eachother's checks / counters, like for exemple Torterra can easily deal with Vileplume, Seismitoad, Ferroseed, and Poliwrath while Carracosta puts pressure on your opponent as few teams can afford to let Carracosta get a Shell Smash off, forcing them to play their Fire-types recklessly (they won't want to lock themself into a Fire-type move, so you can easily play with that and gain momentum!). They obliviously can't deal with everything; Freeze-Dry hits both of them, and Tangela (bzzt Zebraiken) is annoying, but they both make a good offensive core and deserves some love :)

Those two also works very well with Hollywood's Mesprit + Garbodor core (every teams needs two fighting resists ;) )

[Offensive Core]

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Carracosta @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave / Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock

offensive rain core. ludicolo destroys pretty much everything, and the things that ludicolo can't destroy such as mantine get bopped by carracosta. seismitoad absorbs thunderwaves aimed at ludicolo and carracosta if you run life orb instead of lum. seismitoad also weakens ferroseed really easily with earth power so that ludicolo or carracosta can sweep. carracosta is nearly killing cryogonal w/ aqua jet in rain so ludicolo or seismitoad can sweep. warning that cryogonal outspeeds carracosta in rain if u don't run jolly. carracosta is walled by seismitoad easily, which gives ludicolo free switch ins as long as they don't have poison jab or sludge wave. vileplume takes a clean 70% from ludicolo's ice beam, so u can revenge or sweep w/ seis or carra. or if ur full enough (minimum of 81% factoring in life orb) ludicolo can take a sludge bomb and 2hko w/ ice beam.

[Defensive Core]

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Garbodor @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Haze

this core is from a team I built around sub seed sceptile. the focus of the core is to stack hazards and then stall w/ sceptile. leech seed forces the opponent to switch or sac a mon, and hazards force the opponent to stay in and stay seeded, so no matter what they do theyre gonna get punished. seismitoad has knock off for xatu cuz it is bothersome for hazard stacking. knock off also gets rid of lefties so the opponent is worn down faster. I have haze on garbodor instead of something like seed bomb because things that switch in like seismitoad can be dealt w/ by sceptile anyways. switching a bunch is really great for hazard stacking too. the only real threat I see for this core is mesprit because it has levitate, bypassing the hazards, and its great coverage. garbodor and seismitoad attract ferroseed, which sceptile has hp fire for, and it's not always expected. garbodor absorbs t spikes since sceptile is usually in for a long time, so it would be bad for sceptile to be poisoned. this core is really great in the current meta since ferroseed is so common instead of vileplume now.

Edit: maybe I should explain the synergy of this core a little more. normally things like e-vire/random wallbreaker w/ hp grass will hurt this core, but with sceptile you have a means of revenging said poke. sceptile can also act as a late game cleaner with hazard support because giga drain, while not very powerful, is enough coupled with sceptile's great speed to clean late game. as far as type synergy goes: sceptile and garbodor take grass aimed at seis, sceptile takes ground aimed at garbodor, seismitoad takes fire aimed at sceptile, seismitoad and garbodor take poison aimed at sceptile. heres some replays I have using this core: Vs. est57, Vs. MarlingL

[Offensive Core]

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 168 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Kangaskhan (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Return
- Earthquake / Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

the smash pass core everyone knows and hates loves. pretty simple strategy. shell smash then bp into xatu or kanga depending on the situation. u can use pokemon like meowstic along w/ the core so that gorebyss can smash multiple times. the evs on xatu outspeed scarf base 100's after a shell smash, alternatively you can run 176 speed and a timid nature to outspeed jolly sawk and neutral natured electivire so that way u can dazzling gleam / roost before they hit you. the reason xatu is a great baton pass recipient is because of magic bounce + stored power. status normally cripples a baton pass recipient, but magic bounce save xatu from it. stored power becomes a 140 base power attack after the boosts from shell smash, 210 w/ stab. kangaskhan is also a great baton pass recipient when because it is very bulky especially when combined with an assault vest. it also has priority, strong stabs, great coverage, and façade means its not the end of the world if it gets burned (well, maybe the end of the opponent's world).

[Balanced Core? maybe Offensive idk]

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon / Taunt

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Play Rough
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

the idea behind this core is pretty simple: trap things that slurpuff has trouble with. probopass traps ferroseed and steelix, 2 of the biggest threats to belly drum slurpuff. probopass can also trap klinklang to get off damage for a slurpuff sweep. Tuant can be used on probopass so that specially defensive ferroseed cant stall probopass w/ leech seed and protect. Probopass also brings in fighting types like sawk and gurdurr, which slurpuff can setup on. air balloon on probopass lets probopass 2hko steelix before it can kill probo w/ earthquake. taunt + volt switch gives slurpuff more setup opportunities.

Last edited:

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Taunt

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Rock]

Offensive Core: LILLICHOPS
Best core Soulgazer amirite sniper fren. Seriously though I've been using this constantly and it plays so consistently. Archeops wreck each other's checks and counters to no extent. Archeops can smash Vileplume, Audino, Typhlosion, Pyroar, etc. while Lilligant sets up on Seismitoad, Steelix, Thunderbolt locked Rotom etc. They simply are so good offensively and open up easy sweeps for one another, there really isn't anymore explanation needed.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance / Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Balanced Core: BOUFFTOAD
This core is cool only because of the offensive and defensive presence both pokemon have together. Seismitoad can set up Stealth Rocks to support Bouffalant, and can cripple stuff like Rotom or Ferroseed with Knock Off to make Bouffalant's time easier, while Bouffalant can set up and shit on Seismitoad's only weakness in Grass Types. Bouffalant's ability to break down Grass type pokemon makes Seismitoad's job a lot easier as it can wall and break down anything that challenges Bouffalant. iz cool pls try.

This honestly has to be the oldest core in the book. Pass speed to one of the heaviest hitters in Marowak; which patches up its lackluster speed and allows for an uninterrupted sweep: perfect recipe for success. As cliche and gimmicky as it seems, I've been trying it out recently on a team with Marowak, Feraligatr, and Xatu as potential recipients, as it forces the opponent to keep guessing as I have multiple options when it comes to passing. In general the team can work without pass, but if you get a chance to pass some boosts to Marowak, it can literally be game over right there, as this thing just hits. so. hard.

Definitely recommend this old as fuck core to anyone who's bored one afternoon and wants something to build around.
I'm just suggesting it to people new to NU this gen :/... Either way I'm the kind of person that gets bored easily...

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
Togetic is basically good for ANY Special Attackers. I used to run it alongside Magneton, they have exceptional synergy with only Fire-type moves not being resisted alongside each other, but Togetic takes all of them very well. Anyways, Carvanha is not used... ever. I used this in PU and thought: well, it worked there, why not try it in NU? And so I did, and it worked marvelously. QuickPass is scary in itself but Carvanha is just so damn powerful at +2. The whole reason I use Carvanha over anything else is because Speed Boost, which slowly accumulates and makes it nearly impossible to revenge kill. I mean you could do this with anything, but Carvanha just stands out for me because it has powerful moves and a great STAB combination. Togetic's bulk is also very helpful, allowing it sponge hits whereas Carvanha cannot stomach any at all. I know Carvanha has horrible bulk, I mean with just a bit of prior damage even resisted priority (Samurott's Aqua Jet) is a OHKO. This is actually really cool because of Togetic's low Speed which enables it to safely pass very often. I'm sure there's a more optimal spread somewhere but 248 / 252+ works enough as it is. So yeah, definitely cool and I hope to have shown off Togetic a bit more, it's severely underrated!

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
Togetic is basically good for ANY Special Attackers. I used to run it alongside Magneton, they have exceptional synergy with only Fire-type moves not being resisted alongside each other, but Togetic takes all of them very well. Anyways, Carvanha is not used... ever. I used this in PU and thought: well, it worked there, why not try it in NU? And so I did, and it worked marvelously. QuickPass is scary in itself but Carvanha is just so damn powerful at +2. The whole reason I use Carvanha over anything else is because Speed Boost, which slowly accumulates and makes it nearly impossible to revenge kill. I mean you could do this with anything, but Carvanha just stands out for me because it has powerful moves and a great STAB combination. Togetic's bulk is also very helpful, allowing it sponge hits whereas Carvanha cannot stomach any at all. I know Carvanha has horrible bulk, I mean with just a bit of prior damage even resisted priority (Samurott's Aqua Jet) is a OHKO. This is actually really cool because of Togetic's low Speed which enables it to safely pass very often. I'm sure there's a more optimal spread somewhere but 248 / 252+ works enough as it is. So yeah, definitely cool and I hope to have shown off Togetic a bit more, it's severely underrated!
YANMA + CARVANA CORE GOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch / Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Dropping a core which isn't necessarily good synergetically, but perform amazingly together. When I'm teambuilding, I often find that these two pokemon gravitate towards the same teams, and for good reason. A combination of them pressures their common switchins in Fighting + Steel types, and they wear them down incredibly well for each other. Pawniard can cripple Gurdurr's Eviolite to make it impossible to tank a Fake Out + Double Edge combination. Same goes with stuff like Ferroseed, who loses to the combination of the two. Overall its a really fun core to play with, has absolutely amazing priority, and lays down heavy offensive pressure to punch through similar checks.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OP is updated

also guys feel free to discuss others' cores as well

in addition if your core consists of an unorthodox Pokemon please try and explain why it is good and how to use it as well! The reason for this is because I'm not very comfortable with putting cores into the archive if they have a mon that hardly anybody knows what it does / if it's good, so it would be cool :]

also brawlfest nice Kanga EVs

Haunter @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Destiny Bond/Trick

Malamar @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut/Topsy-Turvy

This is a more offensive core, and, in my opinion, Malamar and Haunter have great synergy. They both cover all of each others weaknesses and both hitting really hard. Haunter could be the regular scarf set with Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Energy Ball/Trick, but it would be recommended to run Life Orb in synergy with Malamar to hit even harder. It has basic EVs; nothing new. Malamar has Rest/ Chesto, so it can survive longer and dish out more Superpowers. Superpower is for contrary, and Night Slash is for STAB. In the fourth slot, you could run dual STAB (Psycho Cut) or Topsy-Turvy to shut down set up sweepers that might threaten it. 44 Speed is there to out speed uninvested Feraligatr. You might also want a teammate to take care of Spiritomb, cause niether of these pokemon want to deal with it. Specially defensive walls such as Lickylicky, Audino, Hariyama, or Dragalge that threaten Haunter out can be dealt with by Malamar. Malamar doesn't really mind a Knock Off as its item isn't too important. Malamar, now that Spiritomb's gone doesn't have many threats. It's biggest problem is Puff; which Haunter can deal with (but not switch into). Having that both of them cover each other's weaknesses and their ability to take out each other's threats works well for this offensive core =D

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Speaking of Malamar cores, here's one I've tried out a bit and had moderate success with.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch

or

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- U-turn
+

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Destiny Bond
- Switcheroo

So basically you try to weaken their fighting resist(s) early-mid game with your choice of banded Fighting-type (I actually prefer Primeape for this, as it can fuck up Granbull really well with Defiant + Gunk Shot, or even just a +1 Close Combat), then sweep late game with Mar. Spiritomb is still counter numero uno to Malamar, and while these two can't OHKO it, they can certainly wear it down with Banded U-turns / Knock Offs to the point where you can pick it off later. Alternatively, you can bait in the Spiritomb early game with Malamar, and either cripple it with a scarf, or if you're somehow already close to death with malamar, D-bond it to open the door for Primeape / Sawk.
As for the Malamar, Night Slash is to give it a chance vs Tomb, Switcheroo is to cripple shit and give Malamar that one free turn it so often wants, and Destiny Bond is there to claim a kill even if things went fucking atrociously - as most people don't even know Malamar learns D-bond they'll often just attack it. The EV's allow you to outspeed up to and including base 115s with an Adamant Nature, 252 Spe and a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed everything in the meta [bar accelgor n_n]

Anyway yea go try Malamar cause even with Spiritomb still here haunting the tier it's pretty fun given the right support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)