Gimmighoul (Chest) Raids - June 21 to July 2

764D7259-C454-4F98-889A-185160E51E5C.jpeg

Side-by-side normal Gholdengo and shiny Gholdengo in game, for those curious. The shiny is on the right; note the silver lines as opposed to the gold ones on the left.

If you’re wondering how I got one legitimately, I joined a shiny hunting Discord where someone was hosting a shiny Gimmighoul raid they got, and I suggest anyone reading this who wants one does the same. The chances you will randomly find a shiny Gimmighoul in the 5 star dens is incredibly slim even if you literally spend the entire event duration grinding for it.

Last edited:
poke_capture_1000_000_uk_n_00000000_f_n.png
poke_capture_1000_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

It is more readily visible in the Home renders, but still, the entire family is one of subtle shinies.

Couldn't have gone with Platinum coins instead? C'mon...

I feel like the smarest thing to do, while keeping the green lines, would have been at least make the chest a different color. That way you have a stronger indicator of it being shiny, it's flavorful in the same way Komala's shiny is the log, and you can have a stronger throughline between Gimmighoul & Gholdengo so it wears the chest as a fanny pack.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Look, it's partially my fault too for bringing in an egg hatching moltres into the raid

But losing a Gimmighoul raid of all things with random folks online has seriously damaged my faith in the goodness of mankind.
At least it wasn’t a Blissey raid.

If you don't have a shiny yet, what you can do is search for any event raids on the map that may be 5 star, and battle them but immediately forfeit on turn 1 instead of trying to beat them. If it was shiny, this is enough to count the shiny form as "seen" in the Pokedex, and then you can check Gimmighoul's Pokedex page. If you can now scroll up/down to see the shiny form there, then the raid you recently started and forfeited must have been the one, and you can then re-challenge it but invite other players now that you know it hit.

I feel like the smarest thing to do, while keeping the green lines, would have been at least make the chest a different color. That way you have a stronger indicator of it being shiny, it's flavorful in the same way Komala's shiny is the log, and you can have a stronger throughline between Gimmighoul & Gholdengo so it wears the chest as a fanny pack.

I was going to say that roaming Gimmighoul would have some issues, but... no, it is the most distinct shiny of the family anyway, and keeping the main Gimmighoul body the way it is, but giving the chest blue paint, would have worked wonders.

poke_capture_0999_001_uk_n_00000000_f_n.png
poke_capture_0999_001_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

Yeah, not even trying to join other raids is working. I was on a Discord looking for Shiny Gimmighoul raids, but every single one of them has a 6 digit Link Code, which means they're doing it Online. I have no idea if anyone is even doing this Offline.

Yeah, not even trying to join other raids is working. I was on a Discord looking for Shiny Gimmighoul raids, but every single one of them has a 6 digit Link Code, which means they're doing it Online. I have no idea if anyone is even doing this Offline.
Without a RNG manipulation like SwSh, I don't quite see any realistic way in which someone would be able to efficiently farm this online.
Sure you can clear up the raids you have then force the respawn with the clock but... hell that's SO slow...

I think you'll have a significantly harder time finding someone to raid with offline in general; the discords(reddits, forums) are definitely catered to online curation

Yeah, this has to be the worst raid event yet, and I'm including the SWSH raids in there. Those may have been obnoxious to fight (Cough Toxtricity cough), but while the raids here may be easier, the way to actually find the raids and the amount of luck to actually get the shiny makes this a living nightmare.

-Only the 5 stars have the shiny, but unlike the 6 and 7 stars you can't tell which raids are 5 star until you actually interact with it. And because the 5 stars are the only ones with the shinies that practically makes the 1-4 stars complete filler. And that means you're left with one of 2 choices.

1: Fight all of them, whether they are 5 star or not, but end up wasting your precious time since all you'll get from the lower stars are less rewards, and do remember, this only lasts a week and a half.

2: Skip the 1-4 stars, only to end up losing track of which ones you already went to so you'll just be checking the same one multiple times.

-The shiny itself is one of the worst in the category of "Shinies with subtle differences", and the Terastallization glow isn't helping. And to add insult to injury, the raids are the only times in battle in the game the shiny affect does not appear.

-The odds of it being a shiny are even lower than the base with no way to increase it.

-To go back to the whole 5 star only thing, it's not like you're guaranteed that many 5 stars. I swear, at one point I think I only encountered 2 before I had to change the date.

-And quite possibly the biggest slap in the face ever, they don't even drop the coins. And you need 999 of them. This means if you just recently evolved your Gimmighoul already and you want a shiny Gholdengo (Whose differences are possibly just as subtle) you're gonna have to venture to all those towers all over again.

I'd rather fight GMax Toxtricity again, this is miserable. I have almost a full box of these things. The only other time I've ever caught this much of 1 species of a Pokemon was Legends Arceus, and that's only because that game encourages it.

Worst part is these things don't even have much Wonderbox/GTS value like the Paradoxes might at least have as high IV specimens or Version exclusives. So all those extras you catch might as well get tossed if they don't have a Tera Type you can make use of.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh, it's not worth it anymore. 32 Gimmighouls and still no shiny. Instead I'll be farming them for items.
Try going on a tera raid discord, you should be able to find a Shiny Raid being hosted there, only thing is getting in fast enough with the link code. As for me, I’m off to collect Coins.

I think you are severely underestimating the difficulty of finding a shiny. You caught 32. The chance is 1 in 4103. You're not even 1% of the way toward being at odds.
To be fair, 32 encounters is still significant time investment for how long raids take even when run over. If anything I think this is more a statement on how absurd locking the Shiny to Raids with lower than totally unmodified shiny odds are as a selling point, considering how much more time it takes to cycle through encounters and how absurdly hard it is to discern the difference without capture.

Pokemon Go Raids (which they very obviously took at least loose inspiration from for Raids as a Pokemon-applied concept) have Shiny odds of ~1/50 for "Rare" species (i.e. things that only appear in Raids or as Rare event spawns) if the species is eligible, and this is on top of the Raids being monetized via passes and a lot harder to find Random assistance with if needed.

Not helped by how tedious it is to run around looking for the 5 stars only to end up going back to the ones you skipped because you can't remember if you already checked them. All that on top of the fact you'll be lucky to get more than 2 5 stars after a reset.

Yeah, I joined a totally legit raid on discord and was able to get a Shiny Gimmighoul that way. Has a bad nature and is Tera Bug, but tbh, I don't really care lmao, that stuff can be changed.

I think my bigger issue is that these raids don't give Gimmighoul Coins. I am a Gholdengo enjoyer and like that these raids make it super easy to get a variety of different Tera Types for Gholdengo, but evolving each one will be a massive pain in the ass lmao.

Yeah I did a number of raids in my game just to see if I'd get super lucky and get a shiny, but this morning I just went to a shiny hunting discord to join some raids. For the SwSh raids with 2% of the raids being guaranteed shinies I would just not go online after the raid event ended so that I could keep hunting, but at 1/4000 odds for Gimmighoul it's still so unlikely to get it before the next event that it's not worth it.

I assume the Gimmighoul raids will periodically, though perhaps rarely, rerun like the shiny Meltan availability in Pokemon GO, and maybe eventually there will be the occasional rare slot with a guaranteed shiny rate, but I don't feel like waiting to find out.

Fortunately I don't have to go hunting for Gimmighoul coins; not only was I maxed out, the sanitation worker in Medali who holds excess coins is also maxed out (or maybe even has more? Not sure what the cap is on how many he actually holds). :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)