Gimmighoul (Chest) Raids - June 21 to July 2

Well this isn't the most challenging raid set we've gotten by any means, but the big thing about this is the ability to encounter Shiny Gimmighoul from the 5* Raids. It's normally a shiny locked Pokemon so now's the time!

Serebii's page is broken so I'm not sure what the rates are. I'm also interested in the amount of coins you get out of these battles; could be a good way to get a lot of coins for actually evolving the things.

Serebii's page is broken so I'm not sure what the rates are. I'm also interested in the amount of coins you get out of these battles; could be a good way to get a lot of coins for actually evolving the things.
They don't even drop any coins. The rewards are EXP Candy L, Rare Candy, Swift Feather, Kelpsy Berry, Nugget, Comet Shard, Modest Mint, PP Up, Bottle Cap, Tera Shards, and Ability Capsule.

Overall I think this is a really poor first shiny raid to advertise being a full odds hunt, considering all the SWSH events that actually had a dedicated shiny slot and even the Ditto event from earlier that used that same mechanic to force some specific IV Dittos.

Also it has Take Down/Shadow Ball/Hex/Power Gem with a Nasty Plot use around halfway, so you can just kill in 2 turns with Ursaluna or whatever.

They don't even drop any coins. The rewards are EXP Candy L, Rare Candy, Swift Feather, Kelpsy Berry, Nugget, Comet Shard, Modest Mint, PP Up, Bottle Cap, Tera Shards, and Ability Capsule.

Overall I think this is a really poor first shiny raid to advertise being a full odds hunt, considering all the SWSH events that actually had a dedicated shiny slot and even the Ditto event from earlier that used that same mechanic to force some specific IV Dittos.
Absolutely incredible work by GameFreak, really knocking it out of the park once again

Rates are not good according to Anubis:

Also, I've seen some people report getting bugged items. Like this person getting multiple times x0 Tera shards:

"If you challenge one in a 5-star Tera Raid Battle, you’ll have a small chance to encounter a Shiny Chest Form Gimmighoul, which doesn’t appear during regular gameplay!"

Missed opportunity for the news post to go with Niantic's trademark "If you're lucky, you may find a shiny!" phrasing, since GF is apparently taking pages out of Niantic's playbook lately.

Also, I've seen some people report getting bugged items. Like this person getting multiple times x0 Tera shards:
This bug is actually even worse because only the Scarlet drops specifically have this issue. This also means that Scarlet and Violet players can't join each others' raids and one will get kicked out when trying to play together, so I feel like this raid is going to get shut down inevitably.

EDIT: Apparently at base Scarlet players cannot join Violet raids, but Violet players can join Scarlet raids and that also fixes the bugs for the Scarlet player and lets them join Violet raids.

EDIT 2: It might have just been the raids being hotfixed actually.

Last edited:
This bug is actually even worse because only the Scarlet drops specifically have this issue. This also means that Scarlet and Violet players can't join each others' raids and one will get kicked out when trying to play together, so I feel like this raid is going to get shut down inevitably.
at this point i expect it to turn out that catching the shiny gimmighoul breaks the game because it never loads the shiny model in the raid properly

Just got really lucky and obtained a Shiny Gimmighoul on my 6th attempt on a 5-star raid(Going solo). Unfortunately it's Tera Dragon but I have more than enough shards to change it to any other type I want. Using Home-sent Legends makes raids go so much faster

Well at least that didn't require them pulling everything down for a month

But honestly the lack of gimighoul coins + how rare the shiny is really kills any incentive I had to do this. The coins are such a slam dunk idea for this raid series, it makes so much sense, but no. God forbid yo uget a 2 week reprieve from any gimmighouls you want to evolve (like, say, a shiny one....)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Well at least that didn't require them pulling everything down for a month

But honestly the lack of gimighoul coins + how rare the shiny is really kills any incentive I had to do this. The coins are such a slam dunk idea for this raid series, it makes so much sense, but no. God forbid yo uget a 2 week reprieve from any gimmighouls you want to evolve (like, say, a shiny one....)
The worst part of it all is you're not even guaranteed 5* raids! I only had 1 5* on my entire map! The rest were 3 or 4... Extremely disappointing. I already have 999 coins so would be nice to find a good 4/5 IV one ideally but yeah, might take a few days at one 5* a day.

lol. lotta whinging in this thread about coins and shiny rate
Well it's a Pokemon that evolves by coins and is advertised as getting a shiny, and the pokemon itself is trivial to defeat so...

The worst part of it all is you're not even guaranteed 5* raids! I only had 1 5* on my entire map! The rest were 3 or 4... Extremely disappointing. I already have 999 coins so would be nice to find a good 4/5 IV one ideally but yeah, might take a few days at one 5* a day.
If you want multiple 5*s you gotta join up online, presumably.

I don't get what the point of the Below 5* raids is if they're not going to allow shinies on anything besides that difficulty. Anyone who is going to raid will have a trivial time soloing Gimmighoul, much less in a group given the thing's stats, and given Bottle Caps are a thing the Shiny is the main reason to hunt one of these rather than look for one at a Watch Tower.

I'll do the runs simply because I don't have much else to do while at home chatting with friends anyway, but this is somehow worse than Niantic events, where even if the Shiny Odds aren't raised they will at least spawn MORE of a Pokemon to try and roll the odds. Is this supposed to drive engagement?

lol. lotta whinging in this thread about coins and shiny rate
I mean, Shiny Rate complaints aside (since sure, that's supposed to be a rare prize), every other Raid drops a Material for the Pokemon if it has one, and given they want you mass raiding these Gimmighouls for the shiny hunt, removing Coins from their prize table would be an active inconvenience since you'll need those coins to evolve one if you land it. At the same time the means to get the coins isn't monetized nor a source of data for Gamefreak as it is for Niantic with Gimmighoul's Coin Bag/Gold Lures involving connectivity or driving location data.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well it's a Pokemon that evolves by coins and is advertised as getting a shiny, and the pokemon itself is trivial to defeat so...

If you want multiple 5*s you gotta join up online, presumably.
I like it, personally. I prefer the event raids having unique drops rather than same old same old, and it would take away from the whole mechanic of having to snatch coins from ingame Gimmighoul by allowing people to cheese it through multiple online raids. WRT the shiny thing, its not like its a guaranteed shiny raid or anything its just simply the first time Gimmighoul has been available as a shiny, and I don’t think it was overstated or oversold as such, more of a now this Pokemon is possible to get Shiny.

I wouldn’t like the idea of a guaranteed or super easy shiny for it in general tbh. Takes away from the whole mystique and challenge of it.

I don't get what the point of the Below 5* raids is if they're not going to allow shinies on anything besides that difficulty. Anyone who is going to raid will have a trivial time soloing Gimmighoul, much less in a group given the thing's stats, and given Bottle Caps are a thing the Shiny is the main reason to hunt one of these rather than look for one at a Watch Tower.

I'll do the runs simply because I don't have much else to do while at home chatting with friends anyway, but this is somehow worse than Niantic events, where even if the Shiny Odds aren't raised they will at least spawn MORE of a Pokemon to try and roll the odds. Is this supposed to drive engagement?

I mean, Shiny Rate complaints aside (since sure, that's supposed to be a rare prize), every other Raid drops a Material for the Pokemon if it has one, and given they want you mass raiding these Gimmighouls for the shiny hunt, removing Coins from their prize table would be an active inconvenience since you'll need those coins to evolve one if you land it. At the same time the means to get the coins isn't monetized nor a source of data for Gamefreak as it is for Niantic with Gimmighoul's Coin Bag/Gold Lures involving connectivity or driving location data.
I do definitely agree that it should be 5 star only raids.

You guys know there is an easy Raid/Outbreak reset method, right? That's what I used to go through the 6 5-star raids until I got my shiny.

-Open switch home screen while in the field in Scarlet and Violet. Do not have the menu open
-Change time settings so your clock isn't synced with the internet
-Go to the change date/time setting, and just re-confirm everything(no time changing needed).
-Re-enter game and both raids and outbreak will be reset as if it just passed midnight
-Go around and check all event raids on the map and fight any that are 5-star gimmighoul
-after doing all of them and there is no shiny, just repeat the setting confirmation

Doing this makes the Clock reset to the first second of the minute displayed, so if you do it repeatedly in rapid succession the clock starts getting a few minutes out of sync but syncing your clock back to the internet fixes that just fine.

This method has been around since launch and has never been patched in any ways.

Also for a fun fact where you are on the map heavily influences what outbreaks happen so if you want a specific outbreak use this method while on the part of the map where the outbreak Pokemon you want normally spawns

I had at least three 5* Raids when I checked today, though my question is if sparkles show up if the little idiot is shiny given this is one of those Pokémon with hardly any difference between colorations.

I had at least three 5* Raids when I checked today, though my question is if sparkles show up if the little idiot is shiny given this is one of those Pokémon with hardly any difference between colorations.
It does not, which is probably the biggest problem with making an event out of this shiny in particular. I think it's a poor precedent to set after SWSH handled their shiny events very reasonably, but this is also the first time they've decided to make a temporary raid event for a shiny locked mon and telling you to go find it with full odds as the entire incentive of the event, and at least the SWSH events were mons you could easily tell were shiny because they were so big and the shiny animation actually played unlike SV's tera raids.

For an event promoted in a Nintendo Direct, I think it was very poorly thought out that the average person picking SV back up probably has no idea what a Shiny Gimmighoul looks like, even with the promotional pictures they used, and even seeing the actual models in footage I can't tell either unless they're right next to each other. Remember when shinies were promoted with official art and ingame recognition like Red Gyarados, Black Charizard, Black Rayquaza, and even the Pikachu-colored Pichu? Maybe they should have made some official art for Shiny Gimmighoul so people could figure out what to even look for.

1687396604785.png
1687396597111.png

(Sigh) This is obnoxious. I literally have to check all of the shining dens because unlike 6 there is nothing thatindicates if you will enter a 5 star raid. Not only that, I keep getting nervous becauseI keep losing track of the dens I go to so I just keep going back to the ones I was already at and the 1-4 starsare complete filler. The worst part is that the shiny is so similar I can't for the life of me risk not throwing a Pokeball. I caught 9 of these things and still no shiny. I'm even using my shiny Hoppip I caught at the beginning of the game to make sure there is a mark for if a Pokemon is shiny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)