General Metagame Discussion

Scraggy is honestly way too underwhelming in this metagame.

Everyone as at least 1 pokemon that is able to take it out, and most people have 2. I've had more success with other sweepers such as Drifloon than Scraggy. Every time I set up a DD, Mienfoo/Croagunk/Timburr comes into me and I can't do anything about it. Even with a resist, SR damage racks up really fast, and before I know it, I'm dead.

Drillbur though, that thing sweeps ways too easily. It needs to go.

Dark and Ghost make for extremely redundant coverage unless you're Spiritomb IMO. Is Hidden Power Fighting not viable on Gastly?

Also, how does SubSplit/SubDisable work in LC in comparison to its successful OU counterpart?
Yes, I realized that. I totally forgot hidden power. And as for the sub sets, pain split could be a viable choice but disable's bad reliability combined with gastly's horrendous defenses just make a very risky choice.

I've run SubDisable Gastly with mild levels of effectiveness, even when Misdreavus was around. The accuracy buff to Disable makes it a lot more viable that last gen. It makes a really really cool check to Timburr (you can just Disable Payback and it can't touch you lol), though I suppose you need to beware of people predicting a Disable and using Mach Punch while you Disable (still though lol who predicts SubDisable Gastly). Still, I don't think it is worth using over other variants... Hypnosis in general is a much better move to run than Disable, and Scarf Gastly has great merit in this metagame.

Perhaps something like Trick+Disable could work interestingly....
(I'm not gonna lie though my favorite Disabler is Venonat hands down)

Everyone as at least 1 pokemon that is able to take it out, and most people have 2. I've had more success with other sweepers such as Drifloon than Scraggy. Every time I set up a DD, Mienfoo/Croagunk/Timburr comes into me and I can't do anything about it. Even with a resist, SR damage racks up really fast, and before I know it, I'm dead.

Drilbur and sandstorm in general is hard-countered by Sand.

Scraggy is hard-countered by nothing, can't be out-prioritied with Drain Punch protecting it from the low-bp hits, and muscles through around half of its counters with ZHB, another half with Ice Punch, and a mixture of the two with HJK.

SR damage doesn't matter with Drain Punch either.

If you can't sweep with Scraggy you're doing it wrong?

Drifloon is a bro though.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Try Chople Berry. While it greatly hampers longevity, it can often net the surprise kill Scraggy needs to net a win. If he's not doing anything for you anyways, what have you got to lose?

Driblur is really overrated. To mke aand tem with Erik Ur the first two pokes give you a 2X grass, water, and ice weakness, something that is AGRs to build a team with. Aqua jet toto dile FTW. As for scraggy, croagunk is his little troll. Fake out + vacuum wave

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Driblur is really overrated. To mke aand tem with Erik Ur the first two pokes give you a 2X grass, water, and ice weakness, something that is AGRs to build a team with. Aqua jet toto dile FTW. As for scraggy, croagunk is his little troll. Fake out + vacuum wave
So I take it you got swept by Drilbur recently?

In all seriousness, it's not "overrated," per se, but many people don't use it to its full potential.

In other news, how about Subnosis Gastly and Exeggcute? Honestly, I think these two are probably the most broken things right now, as if you lose your resistances to them, things get really dicey. Idk, maybe its just me... thoughts?

When I was #1 on the ladder I'd say it was solely because of Drilbur. Toxic Spikes + Drilbur = domination. If a poison-type comes in, you EQ and kill them. If another counter comes in, you Substitute / Protect until they are in KO range.

In other news, how about Subnosis Gastly and Exeggcute? Honestly, I think these two are probably the most broken things right now, as if you lose your resistances to them, things get really dicey. Idk, maybe its just me... thoughts?
Subhypnosis Gastly is something I have on 2/3rds of all my teams, because teams often have to sacrifice one or two pokes to kill it. It's a poke which depends a lot on hax, though. 60% isn't something you can call reliable.

Honestly, half the teams I encounter I really weak to Gastly if they let him set up. Hypnosis may have bad accuracy, but having the chance to cripple something and set up is really good.

Scraggy isn't really threatening. I have Shelmet and bulky Mienfoo, and Croagunk is such a check it isn't funny. Priority really screws it up, and as long as Scraggy doesn't get to use Drain Punch, it goes down quickly.

Subhypnosis Gastly is something I have on 2/3rds of all my teams, because teams often have to sacrifice one or two pokes to kill it. It's a poke which depends a lot on hax, though. 60% isn't something you can call reliable.
If something switches in on a Substitute, that 60% suddenly becomes a much less unreliable 84% over the two free turns it has to use Hypnosis, as long as it's faster, and it usually is. ((1) * (.6)) + ((1 - .6) * (.6)) = 0.84. Subnosis Gastly is really, really annoying.

Focus Sash Magic Guard Abra is really, really annoying. You almost always have to sack something to kill it, unless I out-predict them and they go for HP Fighting on my Mienfoo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)