Gen 7 OM Competitive Discussion

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Wimp Out: When this Pokémon's HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon.

it's like an Automatic Momentum move, I guess. I honestly don't see a lot of use for this ability outside of Enchanted items. Unless you're specifically gaining anything from switching out, you don't want to be switching out. Especially when you'll be losing the ability to heal. But here are some sets for Enchanted Items.
Slowbro @ Wimp Out
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Amoonguss @ Wimp Out
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Alomomola @ Wimp Out
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

All three are fairly straight forward but will surely aid in preventing the widdling of stall teams. Something I'm really worried about is the fact that if you have two pokemon with Wimp out they can never leave the 50% range. Lets say hazards are up, so they're both brought down by 25% points (3 Layers of Spikes) each turn they switch in. So you attack with your pokemon, bringing Alomomola down to 15%. And then Wimp out goes into effect, giving me the ability to swap out my pokemon, I swap into Slowbro. But Slowbro is also worn down too below 50%, so I can switch again, this time to Alomomola, who still only has recovered 8%. And so this constant switching beings, I go into Slowbro, back to Mola, back to Bro, then Mola again ect ect. This has to be continue until one of them reaches 76% from purely regenerator recovery HP, because then Wimp Out won effect.

Just so you're getting this right, I'll continue switching between Mola and Slowbro, regenerating atleast 8% HP each time. and I'll have to continue switching between them until I reach 76% HP, where hazards will no longer bring me into Wimp Out range.

Alternatively, and even worse.

If I have Intimidate Landorus-T and Intimidate Gyarados and both are below 50%, Wimp out will continue to switch both of them out bringing my opponent to atleast 6- Attack.

Or simply endless battles with Wimp out + Wimp out after both pokemon are brought below 50%.

EDIT:View attachment 66786

Or simply endless battles with Wimp out + Wimp out after both pokemon are brought below
50%.

This is probably the most important part, Whim Out creates endless battles
it doesn't create endless battle.... it's only when they drop. just because you bring in something below 50% doesnt mean you switch out. It's like an eject button, it's when you drop below.

Berserk could be pretty useful on Pokemon with Recovery or even using RestTalk sets if it activates every time it goes from above 50% to below.

For 1v1.

In terms of the new pokemon the one I am most hyped about is either mimmikyu or mudsdale. Mudsdale gets stamina which allows it to beat Zard X which is a prominent threat in 1v1, and by prominent I mean probably the best mon right now in 1v1. Stamina means that whenever it's hit by an attack it gains another stage of DEFENSE. If this mon gets stone edge, and decent physical bulk (which are both highly likely) it can take on both the Zards assuming it doesn't have terrible special defense and can bulk a solar beam, which would be really good as this could be a proper Zard x/y counter.

Secondly Mimmikyu could be really good as its ability disguise means it gets a free turn of status/setup/attack however if it gets poor stats it could be a waste of a potentially broken ability as a free turn of setup in 1v1 for other mons cough*DD Zard X* would completely break the meta.

On the topic of other mons which have been released magearna could also be really good as a bulky specs user, with fleur cannon as a fairy type draco meteor and, assuming it gets good coverage, it could be really good as its typing allows it to beat kyub, mawile, and other threats, however it has a useless ability which is a shame, but it means that it is highly unlikely that it will be banned which is a bonus.

Some new stuff.

Surge Surfer on Electric/Psychic Raichu-A. It doubles Speed in Electric Terrain. Could have some use in AAA, paired with Electric Surge.

Fire/Ghost Marowak-A. Something for Trick Room teams.

The most interesting new addition is the ability Innards Out. If it faints from an attack, it damages the opponent the same damage it took. So, if it had 100 HP, for example, and Pikachu KO'd it, Pikachu loses 100 HP. Could have some niche use on high HP Pokemon.

Some new stuff.

Surge Surfer on Electric/Psychic Raichu-A. It doubles Speed in Electric Terrain. Could have some use in AAA, paired with Electric Surge.

Fire/Ghost Marowak-A. Something for Trick Room teams.

The most interesting new addition is the ability Innards Out. If it faints from an attack, it damages the opponent the same damage it took. So, if it had 100 HP, for example, and Pikachu KO'd it, Pikachu loses 100 HP. Could have some niche use on high HP Pokemon.
Although it's probably not the best ability, I see Innards Out Blissey being pretty lulzy.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Monotype looks like it could have massive shake ups thanks Auto Setting terrain abilities, tons of asumably viable mons added to each type really.

I will go into each typing in detail when I have time and when moar things are leaked.

In BH, Zekrom + Surge Surfer + Electric Terrain sounds fun. Granted, the trick will be getting that set-up, especially without duration increasing items. Mega-Ampharos and Manectric could potentially as well. Although the former might still need help to outspeed things.

Also, someone needs to get a KO with Innards Out Shedinja this next generation. And KO with the ability, not a move.

In BH... ...Electric Terrain sounds fun....Mega-Ampharos and Manectric could potentially [be good] as well. Although the former might still need help to outspeed things.
If you recall the Electric Terrain team I made, you can see that Amphy is amazing once it gets in safely. You're also forgetting that Nature Power calls Thunderbolt under ETerrain, so Ampharos can use Prankster to revenge certain threats(Raymega, Gengar, Mewtwo X/Y).

I bet substitute would be useful on drampa. Use it after you've already lost more than one-fourth health, and suddenly you're behind a substitute and have +1 Sp.A

G-Luke

Unless Drampa has some legendary stat distribution I doubt it will have a sliver of viability. It assume it will at least have one stat above 100 so mediorcemons is out too.

Tapu-Koko + Alolan Raichu makes for a great pair in 2v2 Doubles. You get Rekt if a Ground type leads though.

I assume School forme will have Pseudo Legendary stats if I'm correct and if so, could be viable in a massive amount amount of metagames.

Monotype is gonna be a VERY different metagame come Sun & Moon.

If stat predictions are correct...Perfect Cell Zygarde will rek BH.

Mix n Mega looks interesting. It doesnt look like any new megas are debuting anytime soon, but new mons mean more threats.

morogrim

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Perfect Zygarde will most likely get quick banned from BH if its other stats got boosted as well (even if its only boosted stat is HP it's still very strong).

BH takes banning Pokemon forms extremely seriously. I'm not sure how many people thought the Mega Mewtwos would be broken with 780 BST, but there is almost no complaint about them. I'm more worried about potential new moves and abilities - Core Enforcer looks to be very good depending on its BP (I'm assuming it's Physical, and iirc it's confirmed to be Dragon type). Even 80 BP will allow it to break past titans like Fur Coat Giratina/Chansey with relative ease. And, of course, this means that both physical AND special attackers have a move to get past Shedinja without going mixed. (I don't see Shedinja becoming anywhere near useless even with Core Enforcer in the meta, as a) you can switch out of it, unlike moldy Pursuit, b) you can scout for it with Imposter, and c) Dragon provides bad SE coverage if it's not used as a STAB move.)

More thoughts coming later.

e: Shit I confused Core Enforcer with Meteor Drive/Shadow Ray

Replace Core Enforcer with Meteor Drive in my post

Last edited:

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Stakeout is awesome. Now if you want to wall something you effectively need to dodge a 3hko. This will be great against balance and stall teams to capitalize on the initiative if you ever gain it.

Let's say a fast and powerful setup sweeper uses Dazzling in order to prevent being revenged by -ate or statused by Prankster, in this case what would stop it?

Unaware can get past with Moongeist Beam or Sunsteel Strike unless those moves have pretty lame Base Power.

Imposter can be defeated by some Imposter-proofing tactic like Judment + Plate.

Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam, the signatures of Solgaleo and Lunala, respectively, contain their own mini-Mold Breaker, which will significantly reduce the viability of Sturdy Shedinja. Since they're likely Steel- and Ghost-type, I wouldn't be surprised if they found some use. Shocked no one has said this yet!
I don't know Magearna's offensive stats, but if they are decent enough then it can use Pixilate (Boomburst + FakeSpeed) and Sunsteel Strike for a STAB that gets through Sturdinja. Need to watch out Dazzling though.

Although it's probably not the best ability, I see Innards Out Blissey being pretty lulzy.
Final Gambit Innards Out Blissey lol

On Perfect Zygarde and Core Enforcer in BH, keep a couple of things in mind.

-Zygarde is Ground/Dragon. If Refrigerate doesn't get banned, it's going to need amazing stats to be justified in use as anything other than Kyurem bait. (Mega-Ray gets away with it currently due to -ate clause and ability to use Aerilate.)

--Let's not also mention Pixilate if it survives the upcoming suspect.

-Even though its still limited to a Red Orb set, it'd be competing heavily against Primal Groudon who has better offensive and defensive typing on the Ground-side of things. Then there's also regular Groudon and Mega-Chomp. On the Dragon-side, Mega-Ray, Dialga, Mega-Lati@s and Palkia come to mind, though Kyu-W perhaps too (Kyu-B and other physical dragons don't really use their Dragon-STAB currently).

--Basically, it's typings are already saturated in BH, so it's going to need super-impressive stats to shine.

-Core Enforcer doesn't ignore abilities unless the opponent has already moved. This is a pretty big deal since most walls are not only slow in BH, but even tend to run as slow speed investment as possible for U-Turn pivoting. Zygarde will have to go slower than them to achieve that. Zygarde is already base speed 95, so this is going to be pretty much impossible without crap like Lagging Tail unless Core Enforcer has negative priority. Meanwhile, unless Perfect Zygarde is really tanky, a lot of the stuff that's faster than it will have a chance to one-shot it. Especially with that 4x weakness to exploit if it managed to become a big deal.

-Mega-Mewtwo and Mega-Rayquaza sees Zygarde's potential BST of 700 and laugh.

Reactions: Mq
I'm not particularly interested in talking about the Pokemon that have been added until we know stats and movepools, because otherwise it's very much baseless speculation.

I do like that the Alolan Forms seem to be oriented toward trying to give niches to old standbys that struggle to be competitively relevant to OU. Assuming Alolan Marowak can use a Thick Club, it's liable to be an interesting addition just because it's an un-Burnable brutally powerful Physically attacking Ghost type -that appears to even have a signature Ghost move that is presumably Physical and hopefully more competent than Shadow Claw. We might finally have a Physical Ghost that can really threaten things!

Berserk: Increases the Pokémon's Special Attack by one stage when HP reaches 50%.

Not much to say about this until the mechanics are more concretely known. If it trips the second you drop below 50%, and will never do it again until you switch, it's pretty limited, but okay for, like, Special sashes. If it trips at the end of every turn you are below 50% HP, then it can be used to seriously pressure stall teams, and can potentially even secure a sweep against offense teams when combined with stalling tactics (That don't raise HP) like using Protect.

Comatose: The Pokémon can only be affected by the Sleep status condition.

My understanding is actually that the Pokemon is always asleep if they have Comatose?

Gonna need to know more concretely what it's actual mechanics are, in any event. If it either renders the Pokemon immune to non-Sleep statuses or forces them to always be Asleep while allowing them full functionality even while Asleep, then it's an amazing status absorber -like Poison Heal, but able to directly switch into Will O Wisp, Thunder Wave, etc, without first needing to get a turn to trigger Toxic Orb. I can see this radically altering Balanced Hackmons and AAA.

On the other hand, if it forces the Pokemon to always be asleep while retaining normal sleep mechanics, then its effect is going to be a lot more limited, particularly if no new sleep-usable moves are introduced. (And even if they are, if they're not widely spread, it'll still be very limited in AAA, forcing gimmicky Sleep Talk sets that aren't reliable if you want to use something like Cresselia as your Comatose Status Absorber)

Corrosion: Allows the Pokémon to inflict the Poison status on Steel or Poison-type Pokémon.

I suspect this will also let the user bypass Steel's immunity to Poison type attacking moves, but even if it doesn't, being able to drop Toxic onto Skarmory or other Steel type walls is a huge change to AAA and, to a lesser extent, Balanced Hackmons. If it does let the user bypass Steel's immunity to Poison type moves in general, then it's a notable stealth buff to Poison type moves -it might be worth using stuff like Corrosion Gengar at that point to have an anti-Fairy check/counter that doesn't care that Klefki or Mawile (Or new Steel/Fairies) tried switching into Sludge Wave. Having Sludge Wave never worry about immunities would actually be a big help to AAA Gengar -though it wouldn't really help it beat Chansey, so it would probably not be the most desired Ability to run. Sheer Force Life Orb is probably still one of its better sets in that scenario.

Dancer: If another Pokémon in the field uses a dancing move, then the Pokémon uses the same move immediately afterward.

Current moves that are probably "dance" moves:

Swords Dance, Petal Dance, Dragon Dance, Lunar Dance, Quiver Dance, Fiery Dance.

I went to Bulbapedia's page listing moves in other languages, compared against moves listed under "dance moves" by Bulbapedia, and checked for a commonality -the use of "no mai" is what I found. I then ctrl+f searched for "no mai" and found the above six moves were the only ones that contained the phrase. Since Pokemon has consistently held to using the Japanese names as the foundation for whether a move is, for instance, a "ball/bullet" move, I'm assuming this will be true in Dancer's case as well -sorry, you can't switch into Feather Dance to punish the enemy with a Feather Dance of your own. (Probably)

Notably, two of these are attacking moves, one of which locks the user in, and one is a suicide move. This raises questions about the exact mechanics of Dancer.

In any event, just the ability to mimic Quiver Dance, Dragon Dance, and Swords Dance is liable to be significantly influential on any number of metas. A Dancer switching into a Quiver Dance will always remain exactly as normal a check on the Quiver Dancer as if neither part boosted at all, aside from crits making things a bit more RNG-based, while Speed-based checks to Dragon Dancers can run Dancer and, if they win the predict, remain a check that threatens to counter-sweep. In those cases it's kind of an Imposter-lite.

But for the other Dancing moves it's harder to make good predictions. If Lunar Dance being imitated includes the suicide part, Dancers are at risk of being baited into a well-timed Lunar Dance (I'm mostly thinking Balanced Hackmons here) to get them off the table if they're particularly relevant to the meta. If it instead does something like "switch without fainting and heal the target", then that double knockout tactic isn't available and instead Dancers become a way to punish surprise Lunar Dances.

Dazzling: Prevents moves with an increased Speed Priority from hitting.

There's a number of ambiguities at work here -to the best of my awareness we don't yet know whether Dazzling simply blocks increased priority moves that target the user are blocks increasing priority moves of any kind- but this unequivocally goes a long way to hurt -atespeed 'mons. Traditional Balanced Hackmons sets running something like Fake Out/Extreme Speed/Boomburst/Magma Storm can be outright hard stopped by the right kind of Specially bulky Dazzling wall, for example. Priority abusers are likely to be forced to diversify in Balanced Hackmons as a result.

Similarly, AAA might be able to unban Aerilate once Gen VII hits.

My personal guess is that, same as Quick Guard gained the ability to block Prankster-assisted moves, that Dazzling will block moves with increased priority regardless of why they have that increased priority. Under that assumption, I also see Tail Glow Gale Oblivion Wings Mega Rayquaza becoming a much less notable force in Balanced Hackmons, and things like birdspam Gale Wings teams in AAA taking a hit in viablity.

A notable aspect of Dazzling, if Balanced Hackmons unbans Assist in Gen VII, is that it's a complete shutdown to gimmicky Assist V-Create teams. In general, priority-based gimmicks -such as Gale Wings Chatter- take a big hit by Dazzling coming into being. That's all positive, in my opinion.

I'm personally hoping we get a Dazzling Mega for Mix & Mega.

Disguise: Allows the Pokémon to escape damage from an enemy’s attack just one time.

I'm personally guessing this is "once per switch-in" and in general I'm guessing it's like a Substitute in various respects -not necessarily in terms of being bypassed by Infiltrator, but in terms of preventing secondary effects like Scald's Burn from having a chance of going off. If it is, that's a pretty amazing boon to many fast, fragile checks (In AAA, potentially in BH, potentially in other metas too) -being able to switch a fast Physical attacker into a Scald and take no damage/only hazard damage is a dramatic increase in the ability of fast checks to beat various otherwise difficult-to-switch-real-checks-into Pokemon, such as Keldeo, potentially turning those checks into counters.

I'm also interested in if it has any other implications. If it functions exactly like a 1 HP Substitute, including providing immunity to moves like Will O Wisp, it's an incredible effect in general with wide-reaching implications on any meta in which Abilities can be spread around.

... assuming it's not hard-coded to the one Pokemon, at least.

Electric Surge: Activates Electric Terrain when being sent out.

The obvious utility is bolstering your Special Electric attackers. AAA Mega Manectric running Electric Surge as its base Ability is a pretty straightforward improvement to its initial offensive pressure.

I'm more interested in its potential to provide safe switch-ins into Sleep attempts, however. Electric Terrain prevents grounded Pokemon from falling asleep. No Spore for you! Not only that, but this includes Rest. As such, with good prediction, one can wear down a Resttalk abuser and then simply switch in an Electric Surge Pokemon the turn you're expecting Rest. AAA Suicune getting you down with it's Resttalk? Yeah, not anymore, especially since if you're running Electric coverage and aren't Flying type yourself it's getting a noticeable boost in damage. Frying Suicune with Electricity is already one of the things you like doing, right?

I suspect its influence on Balanced Hackmons will be limited, unless Surge Surfer proves influential. I see it as being a lot more relevant to AAA.

Fluffy: Halves the damage taken from attacks that make direct contact, but in return it also doubles the damage taken from Fire-type moves.

There's a question here as to whether the effects merely cancel out, or if the Fire vulnerability overrules the protection. If it's the former, Fluffy is a a solid boost to Physical bulk all around with Mega Charizard X being less affected by it, but not unaffected by it. If it's the latter, Mega Charizard X laughs at your Fluffy Physical wall.

Potentially more balanced on stuff like Eviolite Chansey than Fur Coat, too, so it might not end up banned in places like AAA, which would be cool.

I doubt it'll have much of an impact on Balanced Hackmons unless Fur Coat gets banned, though. (Or was it banned sometime when I wasn't looking?)

Full Metal Body: The Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability.

This appears to be Clear Body/White Smoke under a different name. If it is, whatever. It's not like AAA teams want to run 6 Clear Body/White Smoke Pokemon, so the relevancy to Ability Clause is pretty nil. If it's more significant than that... well, we'll have to see.

Innards Out: Inflicts the same damage taken on the opponent if the Pokémon faints.

Who needs Destiny Bond when you can switch in Innards Out Giratina?

I can see people running an Innards Out Pokemon as a last-ditch check to out-of-control setup sweepers. Maybe Dazzling setup sweepers prove difficult to stop?

But it's a bit niche overall. Only being useful if you faint, and only maybe fainting the opponent, is not ideal. There's also mechanics questions -if it only counts the last hit on multi-hit moves, then it's not going to stop rampages from Skill Link abusers. (Cloyster after a Shell Smash, say) That kind of thing.

Power Construct: Changes Zygarde's form to Complete Forme when its HP is less than 50%.

Notably, this heals Zygarde to full HP. Focus Sash Zygarde may well be a thing, either abusing the time this buys it to get up more Dragon Dances/Coils, or just straight-up killing something that was expecting to check Zygarde by OHKOing it with Ice Shard or whatever. Depending on the mechanics of the transformation (eg does Zygarde stay in Complete Form after a switch, or does it have to switch back in and drop below 50% HP again, and then gets healed again?) it might even be run in its 50% (or 10%) Forme in Balanced Hackmons with this Ability!

This is almost certainly a species-locked Ability, and so will probably have a fairly limited impact in metas like AAA.

Shadow Shield: The Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP.

Multiscale under a different name. Mildly significant, in theory, in the context of Ability Clause.

Only really matters in metas like Ability Unity. (Where Hoopa-Confined will pick up Shadow Shield)

Soul Heart: Raises the Special Attack by one stage when a Pokémon on the field is knocked out.

Special Moxie. Arguably scarier than Moxie in metas like Balanced Hackmons, because a Special attacker can run Psystrike/Secret Sword to turn Soul Heart into letting them break everything.

Stakeout: Deals twice the normal damage if the opponent just switched into battle.

Reverse-Pursuit, the Ability.

Notably, this is a way to punish overuse of volturn, including stuff like Regenerator volturn. Go ahead, switch. You've just doubled my damage. Keep doing that. I appreciate your support.

We'll have to see what's considered to be the window for "just switched into battle", though. If it's restricted to "The enemy switched when I was about to perform an attack", that's a lot less impressive than if it works on a foe that volturned out after you attacked. (That is: you attack, they volturn, and then next turn you do doubled damage to what came in via volturn)

This can also place opponents in no-win situations where either they stay in and get KOed or they switch something into your terrifying Stakeout attacker and... get that thing KOed instead. Band/Specs Stakeout seems potentially quite nasty.

Stamina: Increases the Pokémon's Defense by one stage when it's hit by an attack.

This seems like an incredible Ability on a number of levels. It's a fairly hard stop to Skill Linkers, as each hit weakens the following hits and indeed makes the Pokemon potentially very terrifying, and can be used as a sort of Intimidate-like Ability in terms of turning 2HKOs into 3HKOs, only it won't trigger Defiant and isn't blocked by Clear Body. (But is ignored by Unaware, admittedly) It punishes Fake Out directly, tt can go on Physical walls to bolster their effectiveness at that job, it can go on Special walls to make it harder for checks/counters to act as checks/counters... say: Chansey switches into Volt Switch, gets +1 to Defense, and suddenly Physical attackers that were expecting to come in and finish off or scare out Chansey don't necessarily hit hard enough -especially each hit they make boosts Chansey's Defense!

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. +1 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-458 (60.7 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. +2 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 290-344 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO

Note those numbers. Say Chansey is missing 10% from the Volt Switch. If Mega Lopunny skips Fake Out (They did see Stamina trigger, after all) and goes straight to High Jump Kick, and Chansey uses Softboiled? Chansey may well be in a position to survive the second High Jump Kick. (Depending on rolls and all) Keep High Jump Kicking, and eventually Chansey has enough HP remaining after a hit to actually do something to Mega Lopunny! Mega Lopunny better run Swords Dance so it can get the OHKO, unless it wants to fish for crits. In any event, if Chansey can get to that +2 somehow, Mega Lopunny will be unable to break it by spamming High Jump Kick -we're talking 130 BP STAB super effective off of 136 Attack here!

Stamina is an amazing Ability, is what I'm saying.

Also worth noting is that it has an overall similar effect to Intimidate (As regards helping defensive 'mons like AAA Skarmory) while being carried forward even if the foe switches out, and indeed will punish effects like U-Turn. This can buy a Pokemon time to heal before switching. Also notable is that Stamina does a lot to restrict Bands -a Pokemon that can boost and then smack the Stamina wall can break things like Stamina Hippowdon. A Banded Pokemon is just going to make things harder on itself every turn it spends not switching, if it fails to KO the Stamina Pokemon by the second hit, barring a lucky crit.

It's also a nice way to punish Fake Out attempts, turning them from some free damage into a momentum loss.

Surge Surfer: Doubles this Pokémon's Speed in Electric Terrain.

Gen VII seems to be giving Electric Terrain, at least, more support, rather like Gen III did for weathers, so this might be notable. On the other hand, Electric types tend to run fast anyway -I guess AAA Magnezone might appreciate it, when backed by an Electric Surge ally?

Triage: Makes restorative moves gain the highest priority.

I'm personally guessing this means +3 priority. (Even higher than that would only really be notable for the somewhat silly effect of letting you Triage heal in the face of Fake Out -more significant to things like Doubles than to most Singles metas) If it does mean that, this is another effect that takes a lot of the bite out of priority sweepers, particularly the ones that don't use setup moves. Something like Banded -atespeed doing 50~% to you? Yeah, Triage Recover right through that until their PP runs out or they switch.

Not sure how influential it will be, though. Depends in part on what the list includes. I'm personally guessing it won't include attacking moves like Oblivion Wing, but if it does that actually means you'll be seeing shenanigans like Mega Rayquaza dropping Gale Wings for Triage and Triage Drain Punch being a thing. If it includes Lunar Dance, Triage Lunar Dance sounds like a cool thing.

We'll basically have to see what it actually benefits to have a good guess on its effect.

Wimp Out: When this Pokémon's HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon.

Seems a useful trick for certain kinds of leads -drop a Stealth Rock, and then instead of having to faint, use Memento, or otherwise try to keep momentum manually, the foe smacking you and triggering your Focus Sash (Or Sturdy, in Enchanted Items) itself causes you to switch.

We'll have to see what it's actual mechanics are, though. Does it trigger anytime you're below 50% HP, or only immediately after taking damage that leaves you alive but below 50%? Does it only trigger once a battle? We don't know.

Core Enforcer - Learnt by Zygarde: Dragon | If the Pokémon it hits has already moved this turn, the Pokémon's Ability is removed.

The main question to me is whether this is locked to Zygarde or not. (Also, to my awareness the Dragon typing is highly probably but not actually known, as it's known to be effective on Garchomp, which the only STAB option for Zygarde that does that is the Dragon typing, but it could theoretically actually be a Fairy or Ice move)

If it's locked to Zygarde... well, the "must be slower" thing is going to be a bit of a limitation on it in that case. If, however, it functions on any Pokemon that you get it on, then it's going to have a big-ish effect on Balanced Hackmons and to a lesser extent metas like Sketchmons, assuming its other properties aren't godawful. (Which they're probably decent enough)

I personally suspect it will have a notable impact on STABmons, BH, Sketchmons, and any other metas that spread moves around. My guess is that it will be 100% superior to Dragon Claw (Or 100% superior except for having less PP?) and in that case its "remove Ability" influence will come into play even if the effect isn't considered desirable enough on its own to be worth seeking out.

There's also the question of how it counts switches. Analytic, for instance, gives its 50% boost against the thing that switched in if the foe switches even though the thing that switched in hasn't made a move -if Core Enforcer works the same, it can be a way to mess up Ability-based checks by smacking them as they come in.

Fleur Cannon - Learnt by Magearna: Fairy | Draco Meteor clone.

Now Mega Diancie can get in on the Contrary action in Balanced Hackmons.

Notably, Fairy is a strong offensive type. Compared to Draco Meteor, Fleur Cannon gains two super effectives (Dark and Fighting) and replaces the one immunity (Fairy) with two resistances. (Fire, Poison) Particularly since Poison is, at least currently, somewhat uncommon in Balanced Hackmons, and (currently) easily covered by Psycho Boost (Yes Mega Venusaur, you do resist Fleur Cannon. Nobody cares, here's Psycho Boost) this is very close to a straight upgrade over Draco Meteor, in terms of the general effectiveness of the type, albeit with the quite significant caveat that Primal Groudon is a Fire type and one of only two Pokemon bans in the current BH meta.

Of course, unless Gen VII adds a bunch of BH-tier Fairies, Draco Meteor will still have the advantage of having more potential users.

Solar Blade - Learnt by Lurantis: Grass | Physical Solar Beam.

I'm personally suspecting it will be a move with poor distribution up until the 7.5 game(s) come along. In any event, Balanced Hackmons Primal Groudon might appreciate it, especially if Primal Groudon remains banned from being directly selected.

I'm unsure of how general an effect it will have otherwise, though. I guess Leafeon appreciates it, assuming it actually gets it?

Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam

Supposedly these function as if the attacker had Mold Breaker. We don't know either of their types (I'm guessing Steel and Ghost, respectively, but we don't know) and we don't know their stats, but even if they turn out to be fairly pathetic (Which I doubt) they'll still shake up things in various metas. Most notably, Sturdinja is badly hurt by them in Balanced Hackmons, as literally anything you haven't scouted the full movepool of can potentially spring this on you with no warning whatsoever, unlike how Mold Breaker announces itself. (And thus only Mold Breaker Pursuit is substantially problematic to Sturdinja in typical circumstances)

Even outside of that though, there's the potential for setup sweepers to carry one of the two to beat Unaware walls (See: Contrary abusers), and somewhat more limitedly they might allow one to break through Shell/Battle Armor set-up walls. (eg Cosmic Power Stored Power abusers) Depending on what new Abilities come along and they get to bypass, they might have other significant impacts too. (I'm ignoring stuff like "ignores Multiscale" because Multiscale isn't exactly popular in Balanced Hackmons anyway and the point is dependent heavily on the actual stats of the moves -if Sunsteel Strike is a 60 BP Special Steel move, in something like Sketchmons you're probably better off carrying Ice Beam if you're worried about Dragonite)

Z-Moves: Incredibly powerful moves that can only be used once per battle. Takes up an item slot (Z-Crystal) and requires the Pokemon to know a move of the same type.

There's a lot of questions as to how, exactly, Z-Moves function. If they can be hacked directly onto Pokemon ala hacking in Mega Evolved Forms, no need for Mega Evolution, and if that for some reason removes the "once per battle" limitation, then holy crap is this going to warp Balanced Hackmons and any other meta that decides it's okay to directly grant Z-Moves in that way. (eg if Super Effective 'Mons decides it works that way, or STABmons decides it works that way)

On the other hand, if they're not so abusable via hacking (I personally suspect they will fail if no Z-Crystal is held, no matter what) then they become merely a powerful strategic tool demanding careful usage to get maximum use out of.

I'm personally hoping they're Hackmons behavior proves to be a more limited form, but we'll see.

Last edited:

G-Luke

OK thanks to the new footage provided it can be generally assumed that

- Z-Moves are indeed fifth moves and Pokemon that want to Mega Evolve (if thats still a thing) can't learn a Z-Move and vice versa.

What this means for other metas honestly cant be answered yet, but for Hackmons, Z-Moves could possibly be the end of bulky walls in BH. Run a Z-Move that specifically beats a certain wall along with your regular moveset and watch defensive cores effectively crumple. Remember Like most lures its a one time thing so be very careful.

Tortulnater. Is apparently a thing. It will definately be a monstrosity if it knows Shell Smash, and is a guareentee on Dragon and Fire Monotypes.

Now a review of stuff in general

- Triage effectively gives healing moves HIGHEST priority in battle. Which means if your opponent is running Fake Out, your Recover should be +4. It heals up before an Opponent can kill off with U-Turn. Honestly while its outclassed by Prankster in singles, Triage combined with the right support movepool could be huge in doubles. Heal Pulse, Recover, Rest and maybe even Aromatherapy moving before Fake Outs are very influencial.

- Dazzling is a nobrainer in Singles metagames. Ghoul King King went over that. In Doubles however, it might just be even more important. Assuming it shuts down all priority directed towards it, it plus Follow Me (which I could see on a Drag Queen fish) would indefinately change how things work in doubles. It is almost like Quick Guard the ability, imagine Thundy's Prankster T.Wave getting crapped on. A stray Fake Out being neutralised. AAA Doubkes anyone?

New Pokemon Turtonator, the first non-Uber non-Mega Fire/Dragon!
New move Shell Trap which sets a trap in the beginning of the turn and if the user is hit by a Physical attack then the attacker receives an explosion of much greater damage.

New Pokemon Turtonator, the first non-Uber non-Mega Fire/Dragon!
New move Shell Trap which sets a trap in the beginning of the turn and if the user is hit by a Physical attack then the attacker receives an explosion of much greater damage.
Gotta love that typing. I'm gonna need to see the numbers on Shell Trap before I pass judgement though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)