Pet Mod [Gen 6] Megas Revisited - Slate 15: Playtesting

What time would you be able to play in roomtours this weekend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meh. You're both fine. I'm surprised there weren't more of them honestly, which why I'm rather annoyed at myself for missing them first time given I was explicitly checking against Teambuilder too. Such typos are practically guaranteed to happen, especially if someone changes a stat again midway through an idea and in a subtle way on top of that. Outside of whatever needs to be done with Mewtwo, it doesn't look like they ever affected anything anyway due to Yoshiblaze and/or other people on the council catching them all except with Aggron-Mega--which of course has my own typo at the end of last post, sigh--and even that was a mere +10 SpA. Nothing monumental in that case since that's like its least relevant stat. Has anyone even used Volt Switch on that thing yet? [/not rhetorical]

Another tour would sooner than later be fun even with my broken ass computer, but I'll leave that up to you guys to decide. Just floating the idea now since I imagine people might be busier than usual on the Sunday after next due to that being Father's Day even as someone who never had reason to celebrate that and never will. Regardless, have a good weekend everyone, especially if you're anywhere those Canadian wildfires and all that smoke.

Yoshiblaze

ye
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hello!

Things have been pretty quiet here for awhile, with PMPL happening and other mods starting taking focus away from here. But, with PMPL over, I've come with big news. We are looking to hold a forum tournament for Megas Revisited very soon! This tournament will serve as a way to get some much needed playtesting for the metagame, as many recent Megas have basically not been used at all, and to just revisit (pun intended) our metagame overall.

More information will be released once we're closer to getting the tournament and everything we want to do before the tournament set up, but in the meantime I highly encourage you to get some practice games in order to reacquaint yourself with Gen 6 mechanics.

See you soon!

Yoshiblaze

ye
I'm back with those resources I promised! These should be helpful for anyone planning on joining the upcoming tournament.

SAMPLE TEAMS
:clefable::keldeo::excadrill::audino-mega::tornadus-therian::tangrowth: - Regenerator Spam by Gekokeso
:manectric-mega::amoonguss::starmie::landorus-therian::clefable::scizor: - Manectric Balance by Gekokeso
:pinsir-mega::gengar::garchomp::heatran::tangrowth::starmie: - Pinsir Balance by Gekokeso
:clefable::gengar::medicham-mega::manaphy::ferrothorn::landorus-therian:- Mega Medicham Offense (The Bluff Part 1) by Yoshiblaze
:clefable::gengar-mega::medicham::manaphy::ferrothorn::landorus-therian:- Mega Gengar Balance (The Bluff Part 2) by Yoshiblaze
:clefable::starmie::kangaskhan-mega::ferrothorn::hydreigon::talonflame: - Mega Kangaskhan Bulky Offense by Yoshiblaze
:crawdaunt::banette-mega::cresselia::conkeldurr::cofagrigus::sylveon: - haha funny pivoting trick room by Yoshiblaze
:tyranitar::blaziken-mega::tangrowth::rotom-wash::excadrill::tornadus-therian: - Mega Blaziken Regenerator Spam by Yoshiblaze

(The below are either directly from the ORAS OU Sample Teams thread or adapted from there or another ORAS thread)
:shuckle::scizor-mega::azumarill::hoopa::thundurus-therian::bisharp: - Spanish Webs by Spaniards
:tyranitar-mega::latias::serperior::excadrill::volcarona::landorus-therian:- TTar Screens (Adapted) originally by xray, Garay oak, and London Beats
:clefable::heatran::slowbro::serperior::lopunny-mega::landorus-therian: - Clefable + Lopunny Bulky Offense by Luigi
:diancie-mega::volcarona::keldeo::rotom-mow::tornadus-therian::excadrill: - ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition Week 3 Winner by Jokés

Also note that the following Megas are unchanged, so any Gen 6 OU teams you have including them will still work here: Lopunny, Charizard X, Metagross, Scizor. Pidgeot, Diancie, and Latias' Megas also had very minor changes.
ROUGH MEGA VIABILITY LIST (WITH SAMPLE SETS)
Below is a rough estimate of the viability of each Mega Evolution in the metagame. Due to a lack of playtesting this is very likely not completely accurate, but it should still serve a decent resource for deciding what Mega you should use, especially since sample sets are included.
Ordered alphabetically within tiers.

Potentially Broken
:gyarados-mega:Gyarados

Great
:altaria-mega:Altaria
:audino-mega:Audino
:kangaskhan-mega:Kangaskhan
:lopunny-mega:Lopunny
:venusaur-mega:Venusaur

Very Good
:alakazam-mega:Alakazam
:blastoise-mega:Blastoise
:diancie-mega:Diancie
:houndoom-mega:Houndoom
:manectric-mega:Manectric
:metagross-mega:Metagross
:pinsir-mega:Pinsir
:sableye-mega:Sableye
:tyranitar-mega:Tyranitar

Good
:aerodactyl-mega:Aerodactyl
:banette-mega:Banette
:blaziken-mega:Blaziken
:camerupt-mega:Camerupt
:charizard-mega-x:Charizard X
:gallade-mega:Gallade
:garchomp-mega:Garchomp
:gardevoir-mega:Gardevoir
:gengar-mega:Gengar
:latias-mega:Latias
:pidgeot-mega:Pidgeot
:scizor-mega:Scizor
:slowbro-mega:Slowbro

Average
:abomasnow-mega:Abomasnow
:absol-mega:Absol
:aggron-mega:Aggron
:heracross-mega:Heracross
:latios-mega:Latios
:medicham-mega:Medicham
:sharpedo-mega:Sharpedo
:steelix-mega:Steelix
:swampert-mega:Swampert
:salamence-mega:Salamence
:sceptile-mega:Sceptile

Below Average
:ampharos-mega:Ampharos
:beedrill-mega:Beedrill
:charizard-mega-y:Charizard Y
:glalie-mega:Glalie
:lucario-mega:Lucario
:mawile-mega:Mawile
NOTABLE CHANGES TO NON-MEGA POKEMON
:alakazam:Now learns Ice Beam
:blaziken:Is now legal (but only with Blaze) and learns Close Combat, Spikes, Roost, and U-Turn
:gengar:Now learns Calm Mind and Reflect Type
:medicham:Now learns Close Combat, Gunk Shot, and Healing Wish
:salamence:Now learns Hurricane, Air Slash, and Iron Head
:tentacruel:Is now viable. I am not elaborating.
:tyranitar:Now learns Icicle Crash
:venusaur:Now learns Earth Power

If you'd like to contribute to any these or want to see any other kind of resource then please let me know!

See you soon!

Yoshiblaze

ye
Quite a bit overdue but I'm finally here with the usage stats of the forum tournament we had!

SpritePokémonUsesUsage%Win%
:Clefable:
Clefable2644.83%42.31%
:Excadrill:
Excadrill1932.76%57.89%
:Tornadus-Therian:
Tornadus-Therian1729.31%70.59%
:Landorus-Therian:
Landorus-Therian1525.86%66.67%
:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn1525.86%53.33%
:Serperior:
Serperior1220.69%58.33%
:Gliscor:
Gliscor1220.69%41.67%
:Keldeo:
Keldeo1220.69%33.33%
:Heatran:
Heatran1118.97%63.64%
:Slowbro:
Slowbro1017.24%80%
:Tyranitar:
Tyranitar1017.24%70%
:Rotom-Wash:
Rotom-Wash813.79%75%
:Zapdos:
Zapdos813.79%37.50%
:Scizor:
Scizor610.34%83.33%
:Amoonguss:
Amoonguss610.34%50%
:Latias:
Latias610.34%50%
:Kyurem-Black:
Kyurem-Black610.34%33.33%
:Starmie:
Starmie58.62%80%
:Garchomp:
Garchomp58.62%40%
:Weavile:
Weavile58.62%40%
:Jirachi:
Jirachi58.62%0%
:Latios:
Latios46.90%75%
:Magnezone:
Magnezone46.90%75%
:Volcarona:
Volcarona46.90%75%
:Thundurus:
Thundurus46.90%50%
:Manaphy:
Manaphy46.90%25%
:Nidoking:
Nidoking35.17%100%
:Cresselia:
Cresselia35.17%66.67%
:Gengar:
Gengar35.17%66.67%
:Houndoom:
Houndoom35.17%66.67%
:Venusaur:
Venusaur35.17%66.67%
:Bisharp:
Bisharp35.17%33.33%
:Gyarados:
Gyarados35.17%33%
:Volcanion:
Volcanion35.17%33.33%
:Alakazam:
Alakazam23.45%50%
:Ampharos:
Ampharos23.45%50%
:Azumarill:
Azumarill23.45%50%
:Chansey:
Chansey23.45%50%
:Conkeldurr:
Conkeldurr23.45%50%
:Crawdaunt:
Crawdaunt23.45%50%
:Diancie:
Diancie23.45%50%
:Hydreigon:
Hydreigon23.45%50%
:Jellicent:
Jellicent23.45%50%
:Kangaskhan:
Kangaskhan23.45%50%
:Mew:
Mew23.45%50%
:Pinsir:
Pinsir23.45%50%
:Suicune:
Suicune23.45%50%
:Tangrowth:
Tangrowth23.45%50%
:Victini:
Victini23.45%50%
:Breloom:
Breloom23.45%0%
:Camerupt:
Camerupt23.45%0%
:Gastrodon:
Gastrodon23.45%0%
:Ninetales:
Ninetales23.45%0%
:Umbreon:
Umbreon23.45%0%
:Aggron:
Aggron11.72%100%
:Audino:
Audino11.72%100%
:Cofagrigus:
Cofagrigus11.72%100%
:Dragalge:
Dragalge11.72%100%
:Gardevoir:
Gardevoir11.72%100%
:Lopunny:
Lopunny11.72%100%
:Manectric:
Manectric11.72%100%
:Medicham:
Medicham11.72%100%
:Talonflame:
Talonflame11.72%100%
:Aerodactyl:
Aerodactyl11.72%0%
:Altaria:
Altaria11.72%0%
:Azelf:
Azelf11.72%0%
:Blastoise:
Blastoise11.72%0%
:Blaziken:
Blaziken11.72%0%
:Diggersby:
Diggersby11.72%0%
:Gallade:
Gallade11.72%0%
:Glalie:
Glalie11.72%0%
:Hippowdon:
Hippowdon11.72%0%
:Metagross:
Metagross11.72%0%
:Sharpedo:
Sharpedo11.72%0%
:Zygarde:
Zygarde11.72%0%

*Note that these stats might not be 100% accurate, as getting usage stats for downloaded replays can be a little wonky and I had to manually clean a couple things up

Overall nothing too crazy for the most part, with a couple quick notes:
- Clefable being dominant in a Gen 6 metagame is no surprise
- Slowbro and TTar were the most commons mons with Megas, though their Megas only made up 2/10 of their total uses
- Scizor was the most common Mega, with 4/6 of its uses being as a Mega. Given by how we ranked it on the pre-tournament Viability List, this would be pretty surprising on paper, but honestly we probably just underrated it a lot, it's just generally pretty good
- Nidoking surprisingly had the highest usage out of anything that never lost, at 3, while Jirachi had a whopping 5 uses with no wins
- The only Mega used more than once with a 100% winrate was Tyranitar, whose Mega only got used twice. TTar was honestly one of the few Megas that I thought could be potentially broken, but it didn't go quite stupid enough for me to make a verdict on it yet. The only other Megas that I personally thought could be broken were Gyarados, who underperformed, and Mega Venusaur, who's borderline and did alright.
- 14/45 Megas went unused, being the following: Abomasnow, Absol, Beedrill, both Charizards, Garchomp, Heracross, Lucario, Mawile, Sableye, Salamence, Sceptile, Steelix, Swampert. Most of these are pretty bad or are fine but unimpressive, with the only 0 use Mega that's especially surprising to me being Sableye, as it's pretty great for stall teams but iirc either no one brought stall or the one or two times someone did that happened to not use it

And that's all! Overall, the tournament was quite a bit crazier than what the usage stats may tell you, but overall, it looks like that nothing is too dominant or broken right now, though I'll def keep my eye on a few like TTar, Venu, and Slowbro, but a decent number of Megas could be due for some potential buffs.

As for what's next, we'll continue to gradually develop the metagame, with maybe some buffs or nerfs in the future, as well as potentially more resources. In the meantime, I would also like to officially announce that, now that DragonHeaven has updated to Gen 9 with a new link, Mix and Megas Revisited is now playable! Have fun trying out the new Mega Stones on any Pokemon you could ever dream of!

That's all for now, see you soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)