Metagame Frantic Fusions (New resources @ Post #387)

As much fun as I had on ladder with Mold Breaker Gouging Fire, I completely understand this choice to ban Gouging. The set I used in particular was only easily walled by Swampert and Great Tusk, as even Pokemon that you would expect to check it like Primarina were often 2HKO'd by Heat Crash. This will definitely be a great benefit for defensive teams, as WBB Corv/Skarm and other strong Regen or Unaware walls have one less threat that can break through them.

Also this gets rid of one of the annoying noob-bait sets I saw on ladder, Bright Powder Tangled Feet Gouging Fire/Flamigo with Outrage and Raging Fury. With that being said, it is surprising that Bright Powder and other evasion-boosting items/abilities are still legal.

Been messing around with Tough Claws Pawmot on ladder, and I think it's legitimately a pretty solid wallbreaker in the tier. This is the standard set I run:
:pawmot: 70 / 144 / 86 / 83 / 76 / 132
Lycanroc-D (Pawmot) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double Shock
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch / Knock Off
- Grass Knot
4 SpA Tough Claws Pawmot Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 272-320 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [Klawf fusion]
4 SpA Tough Claws Pawmot Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 246-290 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [Tornadus-T fusion]
252 Atk Tough Claws Pawmot Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 193-228 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO [Tornadus-T fusion]
252 Atk Tough Claws Pawmot Double Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Skarmory: 138-163 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO [Houndstone fusion]
252 Atk Tough Claws Pawmot Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Skarmory: 69-81 (20.6 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO [Houndstone fusion]
252 Atk Tough Claws Pawmot Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 240-283 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [Hydrapple fusion]
252 Atk Tough Claws Pawmot Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 260-308 (82.5 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [Latias fusion]
252 Atk Tough Claws Pawmot Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 306-362 (101.6 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO [Porygon-Z fusion]
The advantage Pawmot has over the other Tough Claws users is better matchups into two of the most common Tough Claws checks, Fluffy Skarmory and Regenerator Great Tusk. A CC Double Shock Combo can KO Skarm after only a bit of chip with rocks up. Being able to deal big damage to switch-ins while running Boots is also a huge advantage in such a hazard-heavy metagame.
The main disadvantage with this mon is that it offers little to no defensive utility. It can switch-in on maybe one weak neutral hit or resisted move per game, but its pitiful defensive stats really show in a tier with such a crazy power level. Additionally, its speed tier falls short of other wallbreakers like Tough Claws Sneasler and Tough Claws Moon, though it does at least speed tie Latios. There are also some mons that it struggles to muscle past, such as Levitate Pecharunt and Lando-T (if not running Ice Punch).
Pawmot's frailty means its best partners are slow pivots like Swampert and Corviknight. Pawmot also benefits Dragonite and other mons that enjoy removing Fluffy Skarm and Regen Tusk. The mon has other move and item options, though I do think Boots is its most consistent set. Life Orb can be used to tear holes in the enemy team much faster, but you usually end up sustaining more damage than your targets in such a Regen-heavy meta. I would highly advise against Choice Band because of the aforementioned Regen pivots; you really want to maximize the value of your turns with this mon. Supercell can be run over Double Shock for more consistency, though it's a tough click if the opponent has grounds.

I need to make this clear, Good as Gold needs to be banned. It on any defensive ghost type hyper centralizes the hazard removal metagame. It is not just defog that is losing, it is also the non scrappy tusks. Why council thinks GaG is a healthy presence is beyond my comprehension. Gholdengo is but in its case its negatives (literally just GaG) heavily outweigh the positives it brings.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9franticfusions-2066734300
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9franticfusions-2066737506
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9franticfusions-2066729139
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9franticfusions-2066740592

Here are a collection of replays, I fought testaccount.123 2 times and ff'd the first time because I lost Dragonite and lost all hope of breaking through hazard stack stall+gag, I also forgot to save the replay.
Please educate me on how I could've played to not lose. Oh thats right, completely perfectly. Playing against GaG hazard stack is entirely guessing and extremely uncompetitive.

Unrelated: The Pecharunt+Sinstcha team also had triple regen which is more reasoning for me to support a 2AC. I don't support a SAC because 1. that'd make this meta a little too similar to AAA 2. I like the limitation but also flexibility of a 2AC, personally I've limited myself to 2AC and its been fine, didn't feel cheesy. I've used triple regen and its incredibly cheesy. Reminder: I don't think regen enables stall, I've seen stall teams with single regen that were good, stall would still exist with any cap.

Even against these teams, regen Tusk would not be able to remove hazards, as the team with the Samurott also had a fluffy Sinitcsha to take damage and spinblock instead. The only pokemon that could even wish to remove hazards against these teams is scrappy Tusk, which has no longevity and needs a wish pass for that. I don't want to hear "hazards are broken, not GaG", because these teams would not nearly be as strong with it banned. I don't want to hear "defog is bad", because that isn't an argument for GaG being not broken.

I'm upset council has stayed this valiant about this ability, which I think ruins the metagame. GaG has not gotten weaker, the hazard removers have not gotten stronger, what has happened is there's now more abusers and more hazard setters. It was banned in the first run of FF and the situation is the exact same. As of writing it is the 24th of February and OMTOM voting will start soon. It's a tragedy we will have to likely see this ability stay forever.

Last edited:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9franticfusions-2066737506

Here are a collection of replays, I fought testaccount.123 2 times and ff'd the first time because I lost Dragonite and lost all hope of breaking through hazard stack stall+gag, I also forgot to save the replay.
Please educate me on how I could've played to not lose. Oh thats right, completely perfectly. Playing against GaG hazard stack is entirely guessing and extremely uncompetitive.
Oh hey it's me in there. :wo: (still a very neat dnite set btw)

i'm not as... passionate, on this issue, but i definitely agree that GaG isn't healthy and would 100% be glad to see it go. i run it because it's a pretty busted ability (and it seems to have caught on to some degree if the other replays are any indication), but tbh it's not particularly fun to use (and tbh i'd much rather try to cook other things, but i feel like i'd be handicapping myself for no good reason).

While yes, we lack good hazard removal options and the Defog users can be momentum sinks, at least in a GaG-less metagame you'd be able to actually remove the entry hazards with Defog. as it is now, stuff like Pecharunt, Sinistcha and Ghold itself can all run GaG and be fairly suffocating, especially since there are teammates that can cover for its weaknesses if they're threatened by anything else.

Gholdengo (Sinistcha) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Matcha Gotcha
- Shadow Ball
- Strength Sap
- Calm Mind

this specifically was the set i've been using. with effective bulk of 71/129/102 and a spa stat of 154, it's deceptively physically fat and not at all passive. Colbur + strength sap prevents Great Tusk or Iron Tread's Knock Off from doing relevant damage and allowing it to spinblock with relative ease, every time. not even something like brave bird corv (fused with dondozo, from my match experience) can ohko it, and that attack stat gets turned against it with sap healing it to full. calm mind allows it to become a bulky wincon, since GaG shuts down most traditional counterplay to bulky setup like whirlwind and encore.
If GaG wasn't legal, pokemon like Corviknight or Mandibuzz could just defog and pivot to a check/counter, allowing for more variety in interactions or sets to punish said defoggers, but nope, blocked every time. it's not even a mindgame, either. unless i'm at low hp switching in on full hazards or something, i can just switch it in on the hazard remover and be fine. and keep in mind it doesn't need to be limited to ghosts. you can have a dedicated spinblocker and a different mon carry GaG like in the old meta. the only way around it is either mold breaker defog or scrappy rapid spin, the former being way too specific and the latter having no recovery in a hazard heavy meta, forcing boots or wish support to even get in more than once or twice.
You do have options like Hatterene fusions that deter the hazards from being outright spammed, but as seen in other replays, Samurott-Hisui exists to make you have a bad time anyhow, and you'd still need to deal with removing entry hazards in a GaG metagame.
Overall, i do not think that Ghold's defensive qualities are worth the strain on the builder that GaG creates. if it means Ghold has to go as a whole, it's unfortunate collateral, but it's just... not fun, to face or use.
pardon me if my thoughts feel scattered, but i felt like i had to say something if i'm being mentioned here.

Last edited:
Ursaluna (Roaring Moon) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 248 Def / 8 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Throat Chop

Ninetales (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 16 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Torkoal (Charizard) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower

Just gonna put these 3 here lol

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
I probably agree that Good as Gold is broken with the right team. I just haven't seen that team yet as not many people are running it on ladder. It'd probably look like Spikestack + Ghost that can tank Tusk's hits + GaG user in some capacity to beat non-scrappy spin teams.

Figured I'd post some more sets I've enjoyed as I've now triple topped (proof of peaks) the ladder and the month is coming to a close.

Remember when you'd run a specs Tapu Koko and you'd run into a team without an electric immune? That's how I feel when you use Espathra and there's no Dark type. It's amazing vs basically any team without a Dark type, and gleam still hits it for solid damage. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure this set 2-hits AV Swamperts on the switch.

1708909366984.png

Less to say on this one, it just kinda makes sense and has a crazy BST to abuse. Good resists for a meta that like spamming Rain/Sun, Meoscaradas, Choiced Roaring Moons, etc

1708909516307.png

Kindaaaa blows my mind this wasn't banned before Gouging Fire? People get too cute with this Pokemon, and I'm guilty of it too. Water Absorb, Serene Grace, etc....yeah nah just slap the classic Lycanroc-Dusk set on there and it's disgustingly broken.

1708909602876.png

It outspeeds basically any Roaring Moon you'll see on ladder, so just about every non-scarf Pokemon.

And now, a list of things this kills at +2

1. :Great-Tusk: MAX/MAX+ Great Tusk with Klawf's Donation:
    +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Sneasler Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 437-515 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  2. :Corviknight: The most common Fluffy user:
    +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Sneasler Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Corviknight: 426-502 (106.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  3. MOST THINGS
Here's a replay vs full stall from someone who was ranked #1 at the time https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9franticfusions-2064764266-0di0udhqgtrhr74n25up7wufd5efjt7pw

EV's are basically max SpA + random speed/hp combo. This thing is unreal. How many things can switch in on this and scare it out when it has levitate? It's crazy how good it is

1708911110490.png

1708911148932.png

1708911543360.png

Pivot move and amazing stabs + tinted lens is a pretty fun combo. Not to mention solid speed and stats. Psyshock hits those assault vesters much nicer, and with Tinted you don't need to get bogged down in the coverage game. It's a fun set

Probably my fave set I'm posting
1708911759125.png

Sometimes you resist the urge. Other times it consumes you, and you make unwise decisions in the pursuit of that urge. That's me opting to be Modest over Timid against all logic because I want the power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, as they say, and this mfer is absolute power.

There are few things more fun than throwing out Mega Launcher boosted Dark Pulses in a meta where most dark resists are (rightly) physically defensive. Great Tusks saddled with beating all those Roaring Moons and Kingambits (not many of those tbf) leaves quite the opening for Orange Julius. Dark Pulse 2-hits a lot of AV users with a spike down, and there's always the flinch chance, which is super punishing for stall teams that can't do much damage back. This thing is a tank and super fun.

And now for complaining

Also last thing but I think Ogerpon-Wellspring is a top 2 most oppresive thing in the meta. It might be related to the fact that whenever I use a Water Absorb Pecharunt it has Knock-Off, when I use Chesnaught or defensive dragon types they carry Play Rough, and when I use Water Absorb Heatran it has a fighting move....but it genuinely is worth an extra look. Tinted Lens is insane, Swift Swim on rain teams is even more disgusting. Amazing offensive coverage, and one of the best physical moves in the history of the game, Ivy Cudgel. No Fluffy, no Rocky Helmet chip, no Flame Body, no nothin.

Cobalion (Roaring Moon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Dragon Claw
Base stats: 105/161/103/77/119/146 (711 BST)

This set is only worth using if you have a lot of dark weaknesses, but it's pretty solid in that case, making use of Roaring Moon's good special bulk from it's high BST and patches up it's defense with Cobalion. This thing loves switching in to knock off.

I probably agree that Good as Gold is broken with the right team. I just haven't seen that team yet as not many people are running it on ladder. It'd probably look like Spikestack + Ghost that can tank Tusk's hits + GaG user in some capacity to beat non-scrappy spin teams.
Well then you haven't run into me. Here's my spike stack team that I've had the most success with, featuring dual regen core of tusk and h-gooda, both carrying knock off to get rid of those pesky boots. Chesnaught as my spike stacker, which I opted for over skarm because rain is so prevalent. Pecharunt and Gholdengo are there to make sure hazards dont go away plus fast NP gholdengo is super threatening with hazards up. Finally scarf sneasler is there to revenge kill a lot of the big threats to this team, like primarina, ursa bloodmoon, and cinderace. Its also just a great late game cleaner after everyone is worn down by hazards.

https://pokepast.es/56e1e6299392012c

1709122571127.png

klawf (Great Tusk) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Classic regen tusk, he's here to get rocks up and knock off items. Regen also gives it longevity allowing him to switch into threats and force them out, racking up more and more hazard damage. Rapid spin is a nice bonus although this team has pretty good matchup versus hazard stack due to boots spam and levitate.

1709122805099.png

hydrapple (Goodra-Hisui) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 27 Spe
- Dragon Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower / Heavy Slam

What he lacks in strength he makes up in ability to survive everything. Can switch into pretty much any special attacker in the tier, force them out, and heal up any damage taken with regen. Dragon tail is perfect for stopping setup sweepers in their tracks and phasing things around for hazard damage. Knock off to get rid of boots. I've found the most success with flamethrower in the final move slot as gholdengo is so common and getting rid of him frees up scarf sneasler & iron defense chesnaught

1709123306418.png

lycanroc-dusk (Sneasler) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tough Claws
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Dire Claw
- Switcheroo
- U-turn

Sneasler gives this team the offensive presence it needs to be able to function in this metagame. Like I mentioned previously this thing revenge kills every major threat to the team. It can also sweep late game, stop dangerous setup sweepers with switcheroo, and u-turn around for momentum. Nothing can switch into close combat/dire claw + hazards unless they're fluffy, which brings me to my next pokemon:

1709123584047.png

latias (Gholdengo) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Good as Gold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Recover

This thing is deceptively fast, bulky, and strong, while performing the critical role of blocking defog. It wreaks havoc on the bulkier/balance teams once hazards up, outspeeding and killing tusk, primarina, alo, heatran, mamoswine, opposing gholdengo, pecharunt, corv/skarm, dnite etc. It easily switches into to corv/skarm and can set up or throw off attacks to wear things down, which is what this team is all about. Max HP investment allows it to take any non super-effective hits from faster pokemon after which it can kill them in return. Bonus points for latias donor which can trick people into thinking it's levitate

1709123944151.png

coalossal/houndstone (Chesnaught) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body / Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Like I mentioned previously I opted for chesnaught as the spike setter mainly because of prevalence of rain. I prefer flame body over fluffy because it's literally game over if the opponents main wallbreaker(s) get crippled. It's also nice versus u-turn/flip turn/knock off spammers. Iron defense + STAB body press gives chesnaught sneaky offensive capabilities, in fact I've had many late games where the opponents ghost types/special attackers are dead and nothing can stop chesnaught from cleaning up.
1709126082430.png

latios (Pecharunt) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 104 SpA / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Malignant Chain

Finally I have pecharunt as the dedicated spin blocker. I opted for colbur berry because this thing gets knocked off 99% of the games I play anyways, so might as well take less damage. Weird EV spread because ghost types, like opposing gholdengo and pecharunt, are annoying for this team so I like to outspeed and have enough damage to be able to threaten them. Strong malignant chain is also good versus fairy types which goodra can struggle against since it doesn't have any moves to hit them. But overall this thing is really just here for spin blocking- it offers a little added defensive/offensive value but the other pokemon on this team do those things way better.

Proof of peak:
1709122167763.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)