Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Rejected for a second-round interview for a summer clerkship at Gilbert + Tobin. Totally disappointed, they were my first choice and all my others rejected me anyway. I've got one more minor firm application pending, but I expect given my other rejections it'll be six from six.

I've basically got no options until next year, when graduate applications open. G+T usually hires 3 or 4 Grads outside of their summer clerks, and many of the top tier firms don't do it at all; so it's probably going to be even more competitive.

Unfortunately, I don't even know what I could have done better, so it may well be a forlorn hope.

I wanted to swap my Zoology class for Japanese, and unfortunately that wont happen... There are 80 seats in JAPAN101, and there are 91 people already enrolled. The worst part is, the other Biology class I need that is only offered this term has 1 seat left... But no seats left for the test schedule, so it wont let me in! FML.

Got my results for 1st year of Mechanical engineering bachelor degree:

A+ Engineering science
A- ICT
A+ Applications of Engineering
A+ Technology Mathematics
B Business and communications
A Laboratory Techniques

Now onto year 2 in a week!!

I don't live in America; I live in Singapore, but I'll list my grades for this semester anyway.

English: 68.5% (B3)
Elementary Mathematics: 97.5% (A1)
Additional Mathematics: 92.5% (A1)
Pure Physics: 72.5% (A2)
Pure Chemistry: 72.5% (A2)
Pure Biology: 70.8% (A2)
Mother Tongue [Chinese]: 67.6% (B3)
Combined Humanities [Geography + Social Studies]: 78.5% (A1)

Overall percentage: 77.55%
L1R5: 10 points (What is this? Will go into detail later.)

In Singapore, here is how we grade:

>75% - A1
70-74% - A2
65-69% - B3
60-64% - B4
55-59% - C5
50-54% - C6
45-49% - D7
40-44% - E8
<39% - F9

And overall percentage is not a priority in marking here, L1R5 is. L = Language, R = Relevant Subjects. It takes your English grade, then 5 best relevant subjects, and must include a Math, a Science and Humanities. In this case I got 10 points because (3+1+1+1+2+2 = 10) where the 3 points represent B3 for English, 1 point each for both Maths, and another 1 point for Humanities, 2 points each for the 2 Sciences. 6 subjects are counted in. And yes, the lower the points, the better, the best possible score is 6 points, but getting an A1 for English is an anamoly in Singapore, and even I can't get it even though I speak English with fluency. 20 points is the minimum needed to get into a Junior College in Singapore, but some Junior Colleges have higher requirements. People who do worse end in in Polytechnics or ITE (Institute of Technical Education). OK whatever, you are probably going "blah blah blah" now, to know more, just Google.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was notified recently that I am a National Merit Semi Finalist and US National AP Scholar after my Junior year. What I am really posting here for, though, is opinions on the higher-level Math and Science courses of the following Universities, as well as any recommendations on each as a whole (These are where I am looking to apply at the moment):
-University of Michigan (State school this good, I HAVE to apply)
-Notre Dame (Awesome food there, along with the whole "great school" bit)
-Princeton (Really cool Physics Prof. I met there, and, oh ya, arguably best school in the USA)
-Cornell (Just added it in because it is an Ivey that I don't have to worry as much about getting in to)
-Washington University in Saint Louis (Kind of a compromise option: not too far away, good school, have scholarships, weather is nice there)
-Harvard (Wasn't really considering this until recently when they sent me a big postcard, and seriously, no one can just ignore Harvard lol)

Any other recommendations would be great as well, I am probably looking to Major in Physics of some kind, but that is still up for debate. Also, please keep in mind that money is something of an issue for me, which is why I am considering not bothering applying to Princeton or Harvard because even if I did get in it is highly questionable whether or not I could attend (my parents say they will help me as much as they can, but I don't want to cripple them financially over the difference between, say, Princeton and Michigan unless I am 100 percent sure Princeton is the best place for me, and even then...).

Thanks for any insights or help in advance, I am really having trouble deciding where I want to go!

Since a lot of your list is Midwest-based (WUStL, ND, UMich), you should also consider the University of Chicago. Its math and physics programs are world-class, probably the best on your list besides Harvard (and Princeton math).

The thing about schools like Princeton is that they have A LOT of money set aside for financial aid. Even though Michigan is a public school, it's still very expensive (possibly the most expensive public in the US), and it doesn't have the same resources as the Iveys and its peers. So if you're struggling financially, the top schools can actually be cheaper because you get a lot more financial aid thrown your way. So don't be dissuaded from applying just because you might not be able to afford it.

I am a Freshman at Auburn University, I am taking Calc 1, and I am getting along for now, but I find myself stuck at times. I am a quick learner, but some of this stuff is based old stuff that my high school curriculum failed to cover extensively[Maybe I shoulda studied it myself]. I have been neglecting my studying for other stuff[I still do good in class], but I am starting to tighten up. I have to maintain a 3.0 to keep my full Scholarship. I am pretty sure, I will make it but I worry sometimes. I need to erase this doubt.
Any advice and/or study tips??

Been a little busy to post regularly on Cong, but I'm still really excited about having started my first year at a junior college!! I just finished up my homeschooling over the summer and plan to get my Associate's in Psychology in 2-3 years, a little after I turn 18 :D

I'm taking 4 IAI classes; English I, Gen. Bio I, Intro to Psychology, and Trigonometry. 14 credits. My most current project is a 3-page Opinion Editorial I have to write for English, which I made on the subject of video games as art.

Okay so I'm taking the ACT with the writing section on Saturday because some colleges require it. I already took the ACT without the writing section and received a 36 on each of the sections. My question is, is there any reason for me to actually do the non-writing sections? Or can I just leave them all blank?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Although some colleges superscore your ACT, it's still helpful to at least try on the non-writing sections because if colleges see your scores suddenly drop then they might think your scores were a fluke. That's cuz you send in all your scores and colleges will still see the other ones, so don't make it seem like you slacked off too much.

Also damn 36 on all sections

But then wouldn't it be better to not answer anything at all on the other sections, If I mess up and get like a 33 on one section it might look like my 36 was a fluke but if I leave them blank and get a zero then the college should be able to figure out why since the have my earlier scores and they will just ignore them.

As someone who got a 36 on the ACT you are not being very bright right now.

Do all the sections so you won't raise suspicions and look lazy.

So, I have one more legal clerkship program pending, but I'm not optimistic. I've started cold-emailing various places, and one in particular I've applied for is the CSIRO, the government science and research orginisation. Their General Counsel is an international IP guru, so if I can get a legal work experience program there it would be amazing; unfortunately their work experience is generally targeted at science research projects, but I hope that given my Hons I in physics, they might be able to find something for me in the legal side.

Nice GCSE results guys!

AS module UMS scores:

Maths - MEI - I'm doing this all in the wrong order, but my results for the easy modules are good

(Mathematics C1 from Jan 100/100)
Mathematics C2 - 100/100
Mathematics D1 - 100/100
Mathematics S1 - 97/100
Mathematics FP1 - 92/100
Mathamatics S2 - 82/100

History - AQA

Life in Nazi Germany - 93/100
The Reformation in Europe - 96/100

Sciences - Edexcel

Chem 1 - 112/120
Chem 2 - 120/120
Coursework - 57/60

Physics 1 - 115/120
Physics 2 - 120/120
Coursework - 55/60

Overall, I'm pretty pleased as these are all As, though when applying to Cambridge this alone is not enough. Hopefully it should guarantee me an interview at least.
A bit late, but high five for the Maths results :)
I got very similar scores (94 in C1, but 98 in S2 and 100 in FP1; otherwise they're the same). My Physics results were also similar to yours; however, we're doing OCR rather than Edexcel - 77/80 for Mechanics, 150/150 for the second paper which is a mishmash of electricity, waves and quantum mechanics (did this in January), and 52/60 for the practicals (basically coursework). My Computer Science scores weren't quite as good, but I'm still confident in getting an A next year (83 on the first paper, and 93 on the second).
I take it you did 5 subjects (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History)? Have you dropped any, or are you continuing all 5 to A2? My school only lets us take 4 options (and when I was in year 9, 3 optional GCSEs, on top of the standard English/Maths/Science; the next year got to do 4).
One of my friends is also applying for Physics at Cambridge (at Churchill College); he's got some tough competition in you :P

Anyway, I've very nearly done my Cambridge application (got to finish the additional personal statement). With any luck, I might be seeing you (and any other Cambridge Smogoners) around next year.

I might go to Cambridge, but I seriously don't know; anyway it doesn't really matters for seeing my grades and the schools I went to (not mentioning my CV), I could be accepted in literally any univ.

Guess who has an A in Organic Chemistry?

This is a huge boost to my confidence after my miserable 2.1 last semester.

I had a supervision there the other day, it's quite a trek from a lot of the main faculties and from the city centre. It's like 20-30 minutes walk.

I'm looking through here and just going wow. I can hardly pass anything. I live two hours away from uni. I have a computer that has issues and a pathetic work ethic.

My frist semester I did.

Algorithms and Problem Solving - Pass Conceeded
Statistics - Fail
Procedural Programming - Pass Conceeded
Information Systems - Technical Fail (I was headed for a high credit here until I missed a compulsory quiz)

This semester i'm doing

Proceedural Programming - Headed for a Pass or Credit (Depends on how I go in the final)
Discrete Mathematics - Heading for a Pass
W3 Technologies - Will get a zero here.

Honestly I can't get myself into gear when studying. I can do alot of the work but it is so time consuming and when I have to do most of the work at uni I am finding that I can't get tasks done by the time they are due. And god forbid if I miss a train like I did when half my W3 was due.

Any Ideas on how I can better my situation or get motivated? I am a very object driven person. If there is a tangible goal I can strive to do stuff much easier. However I lack the money to have a splurge every time I get over 70% or something like that.

Hasn't the Oxbridge deadline already passed? I thought it was the 15th Oct if you want to apply for 2011.

Anyway, I picked five choices for physics, just got to wait for my tutor's reference to all be done and sent off. I'm applying to UCL, Nottingham, Exeter, Portsmouth, and Sheffield. UCL/Nottingham are the ones I would ideally want to go to.

I had a supervision there the other day, it's quite a trek from a lot of the main faculties and from the city centre. It's like 20-30 minutes walk.
I'm happy with my current 30-40 minute walk to school; I'm sure I'd manage :P
Hasn't the Oxbridge deadline already passed? I thought it was the 15th Oct if you want to apply for 2011.
Yeah, I sent off my UCAS form last Wednesday, and Cambridge's SAQ yesterday, so I'm done for now. This may well be the only time I meet a deadline for anything ever (need to start meeting more of them before I get overloaded at uni) :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)