DS Games Discussion

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If anyone is looking for a point and click game that has some of the best dialogue in a game and a fun puzzler check out Hotel Dusk. It's essentially a film noir set in a hotel. Once you get past the ridiculousness of the main characters job and the fact that everyone you need is in the same hotel as you are it's an amazing game. Kyle Hyde ought to be on the same level as Solid Snake for bad-asses with how he takes care of things.

Europe got a sequel which takes place in a former hotel turned apartment, so it makes sense that everyone you need lives there and such. I managed to acquire it after much searching. If you like the first one the second doesn't add much more but it's still a blast to play.

So, I'm finally about to break into the Professor Layton franchise. Question is, should I start with Last Specter (considering it's a prequel to the trilogy), or would Curious Village be a better game to ease into the series?
You should definitely start with Curious Village. Play them in the order of release. Playing them out of order is like starting Chronicles of Narnia with The Magician's Nephew, as some boxed sets seem to want you to do, even though the first chapter specifically references the events of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe expecting the reader to be familiar with them.

Another advantage of starting with Curious Village is that you can pick it up quite cheap.

A couple people already mentioned golden sun but yeah I liked that a lot.

The game I probably spent the most time playing on the ds was phantasy star zero. I'm not sure how many people here played the phantasy star online games but this is pretty similar to that. It does feel like it's missing something and it gets pretty repetitive but for a handheld action rpg it's pretty fun/addicting.

A couple people already mentioned golden gun but yeah I liked that a lot.

The game I probably spent the most time playing on the ds was phantasy star zero. I'm not sure how many people here played the phantasy star online games but this is pretty similar to that. It does feel like it's missing something and it gets pretty repetitive but for a handheld action rpg it's pretty fun/addicting.
What kind of gameplay does that game have?

It's a real time rpg. You pick a character from one of the three main classes: hunter (melee), ranger (guns), or force (magic). There are also three different races, and with genders, there are 14 total characters you can pick. The gameplay isn't very fast paced and doesn't require a whole lot of skill once you figure things out. There's a story mode that doesn't last that long, and once you finish that, the game's mostly about leveling up and finding rare equipment. You can also play with other people over wifi but I've never done that because my internet sucks lol.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?secver=6
This site has some pretty good information about the game if you're interested too.

It's a real time rpg. You pick a character from one of the three main classes: hunter (melee), ranger (guns), or force (magic). There are also three different races, and with genders, there are 14 total characters you can pick. The gameplay isn't very fast paced and doesn't require a whole lot of skill once you figure things out. There's a story mode that doesn't last that long, and once you finish that, the game's mostly about leveling up and finding rare equipment. You can also play with other people over wifi but I've never done that because my internet sucks lol.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?secver=6
This site has some pretty good information about the game if you're interested too.

Alright I'll be sure to check that out!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shouts outs to both Final Fantasy remakes. Played FF3 for many, many hours and loved it, also got FF4 a while ago and have been captivated by its awesomeness. Only problem is I cbb to grind some more for the final dungeon :/ I'm a bit overlevelled by damn do they hit hard.

Shouts outs to both Final Fantasy remakes. Played FF3 for many, many hours and loved it, also got FF4 a while ago and have been captivated by its awesomeness. Only problem is I cbb to grind some more for the final dungeon :/ I'm a bit overlevelled by damn do they hit hard.
Man I wish they'd do more remakes. Both remakes were incredible and I'm pretty sure any other remake would be just as amazing as them.

FF4 is boss....but I didn't really love FF3. If you liked 3 though, get FF6 Advance. It runs on the same system...but it's better.

Etrian Odyssey

play it

all of it
Fuck yes, these games are ball bustingly good.

Also amazing is Infinite Space, a space JRPG filled with 'spergy ship customization and shit tonnes of recruitable characters to staff your ship with. Hundreds of hours of gameplay and crushing difficultly later on wrap the whole thing up.

Too bad it costs like 90$ because it's so rare

FF4 is boss....but I didn't really love FF3. If you liked 3 though, get FF6 Advance. It runs on the same system...but it's better.
I gotta agree FF3 wasn't as good as FF6, I didn't get attached to the FF3 characters as much as the FF6's ones. And FF6's story was better than FF3's by far and had better villain :)

All of the Dragon Quest remakes (4,5,6) are great if you've never played them on some fan translation (like me), nice and old school.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 and 2, while not as good as their original GB/GBC counterparts (imo), are still a pretty fun alternative to Pokemon as well.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn, well if you ever played Golden Sun 1 and 2 on the GBA, here's the long awaited 3rd one. Not as good I think (they nerfed any difficulty to hell and it's extremely linear compared to the last 2), but still good for sake of story and seeing what happened later on.

All of the Dragon Quest remakes (4,5,6) are great if you've never played them on some fan translation (like me), nice and old school.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 and 2, while not as good as their original GB/GBC counterparts (imo), are still a pretty fun alternative to Pokemon as well.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn, well if you ever played Golden Sun 1 and 2 on the GBA, here's the long awaited 3rd one. Not as good I think (they nerfed any difficulty to hell and it's extremely linear compared to the last 2), but still good for sake of story and seeing what happened later on.
I've never played Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 or 2 but what makes them not as good as the original ones on GB/GBC?

Here's some games not mentioned that I have in my backlog and will eventually get around to finishing
Okamiden
Rune Factory series
Infinite Space
Avalon Code
Dragon Quest V and VI
Knights in the Nightmare
Glory of Heracles
Magical Starsign
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
Izuna series
There's some obscure games in there but I'm generally interested in those kinds of games.

I'd also recommend the Castlevania and Megaman Star Force games, and for the obscure games, Nostalgia, Legendary Starfy, Luminous Arc and Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk)
Thorns and I were playing Glory of Heracles! It was pretty fun, and then we sorta stopped playing for w/e reason.

A lot of those are on my backlog as well. I've played Luminous Arc; it was my first real grid-based tactical RPG. Admittedly, it's really easy, but I'd still call it a good gateway SRPG. I was playing Luminous Arc 2 but something or other annoyed me at the start; maybe I should play again, haha.

Thanks for posting these. A lot of your recs are easily overlooked and somewhat obscure, and it's a shame people miss them just because the DS library is abounding in popularly great games as well.

The only thing that disappointed me with the DS was the lack of a good Fire Emblem game. They had so many good titles on the GBA, and continued the series very well on the Game Cube and the Wii, but nothing spectactular was done on the DS. I honestly expected way more than what I got from Shaddow Dragon. The interface was weak, the story line bland, the characters unmemorable, the maps cookie-cutter, and the game really did not add nothing new. I'm hoping for better results from the 3DS in the FE relm...

Actually, it added reclassing (huge) and more modes including H5 difficulty (which is super crazy hard) among smaller things. Admittedly I preferred the GBA games over SD and felt SD could get a little bland (I really hated the 'sacrifice characters for gaidens' mechanic too), but it wasn't all that bad! I wish they'd've made new games instead of remakes alone, but at least the 3DS one is new.

I think they probably thought wifi battling would be huger than it is.

I've never played Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 or 2 but what makes them not as good as the original ones on GB/GBC?
I dunno...less monsters overall for starters, the renaming of quite a few of them and the attacks/skills, non-randomly generated maps, non-random encounters (the encounter mechanic is similar to DQ8 and 9, so you can avoid anything you want), I never cared for the 3d battle animations or models for some of the monsters...but yeah, guess it's one of those things where you had to be there and played the original and remember it fondly over the newer versions, as most of it is nitpicking in a way.

Fuck yes, these games are ball bustingly good.

Also amazing is Infinite Space, a space JRPG filled with 'spergy ship customization and shit tonnes of recruitable characters to staff your ship with. Hundreds of hours of gameplay and crushing difficultly later on wrap the whole thing up.

Too bad it costs like 90$ because it's so rare
Oh damn 90$?! At a GameStop close to my house I saw it for like 25-30$
I heard that game is one of the DS's hidden gems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)