Crisis Core V3 [Won by Melvni]

I'm sure there's a one Pokemon core out there, but I'm not going to find it by tomorrow. Miltank is free if anyone wants to use it on the way. Chople was just not good enough to work.

Shellos@Eject Button
Ability - Sticky Hold
Nature - Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 HP / 252 Def
~Toxic
~Yawn
~Recover
~Whirlpool

Torterra@Choice Scarf
Ability - Shell Armor
Nature - Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
252 Atk / 76 Def / 180 Spd
~Earthquake
~Quake of Earth
~More Quake Plz
~Frenzy Plant

Very simple core. Shellos comes in, lives a hit (and is thus not death fodder), and gets switched out by Eject Button. Torterra then comes in and kills everything with Earthquake, taking a Sucker Punch from Skuntank if necessary. Shellos cannot be tricked because of Sticky Hold and can annoy the core if they try to simply not attack it and switch back and forth to prevent Torterra getting a free switch in (spam Toxic if Skuntank is in, spam Whirlpool if Jynx is in, or Toxic if it locks itself into Trick; or really just spam Toxic). 180 Speed EVs give Torterra 212 Speed, letting it outspeed Jynx by 1 after Choice Scarf.

252Atk Skuntank (+Atk) Poison Jab vs 252HP/252Def Shellos (+Def): 35% - 42% (127 - 150 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Jynx (Neutral) Psyshock vs 252HP/252Def Shellos (Neutral): 60% - 71% (217 - 256 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. (accidently done with neutral Defense nature, but that doesn't matter)
252SpAtk Choice Specs Jynx (Neutral) Focus Blast vs 252HP/0SpDef Shellos (Neutral): 74% - 87% (265 - 312 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. (Shellos is pure Water so Ice Beam does less than this)
252Atk Torterra (Neutral) Earthquake vs 20HP/0Def Skuntank (Neutral): 114% - 134% (402 - 474 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252Atk Torterra (Neutral) Earthquake vs 0HP/0Def Dry Skin Jynx (Neutral): 118% - 139% (322 - 379 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252Atk Skuntank (+Atk) Sucker Punch vs 0HP/76Def Torterra (Neutral): 30% - 36% (102 - 121 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
So, I'll be closing this now, will compile points right about now to give the winner in a couple of minutes. For what it is of this round, I'm sad to see no one checked my clue :(. Stuff like mail alomomola and mail contrary shell smash shuckle both could counter the core alone since mail can't be tricked. (You could even choose the type of mail and what to write in it !)

EDIT: nvm someone did use mail though it was for a 2 mon counter.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Ok, Punchsroom pointed out a good point about FLCL's charizard so I gave him a point and had to refuse FLCL's charizard although it was really well thought :(. (I accepted poison chances alone but with the addition of wow accuracy, I have to say no, sorry)

This gives the victory to Melvni alone instead of making a tie.

Congrats Melvni !

I'll leave this open if anyone wants to give commentaries on how they liked this thread and what they would change. Here are some questions people could answer:

Reservations are there because it's boring to give someone points for a counter they have barely explained while someone else took a lot of time to make a proper post about the same mon and because some people might find a counter but just not have the time to post it now. However, reservations have also created embarassing situations in this version of the thread. Do you think reservations are something to keep ?

I personally think this thread is much more fun when ridiculous gimmicks are allowed and being a fair judge about if something is viable or not in the metagame is impossible. However, I have had complaints about non viable pokemon being dumb. Do you think it's better the way it is or have an alternative suggestion ?

Similar to last question but: Do you think this thread should be more of a game or a real way to find counters to popular cores (some cores I posted are not popular at all).

Are there any other rules you would add/remove ?
Keep in mind things must stay simple for everyone otherwise it'll just discourage people from participating.

Could I have done some things better as a host
(maybe a judge council instead of just the host)?

So, if no one revives this, I will probably do it myself somewhere in the begging of june when I'll have more free time. Once again, Gratz Melvni and thanks everyone for making this thread fun :).

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No, keep reservations. Unlike FLCL I have a life and often am too busy to post cores especially since I need to make calcs, research on movepool and write-up. Reservations help a lot.

Also you should try something like the previous Crisis Cores where a random Skuntank appears and destroys all the cores with psychic-types previously used, or a wild Liepard appears and Paralyses all the cores used in the previous round, etc. Keeps that element of surprise and fun, though idk if anyone else would like this.

Also I found some of the cores weird especially the Liepard-Tauros one but it makes it all the more fun

No offense FLCL

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you did a really good job with it sweetjesus :) I liked that we could be as crazy as we wanted with the counters because it allowed us to think deeper than just c/ping a few sets. That's what I mostly liked about this, that we had freedom to post whatever we wanted as long as it countered the core, and it got most, if not all of us, thinking outside of the box and coming up with something we've never considered before (and I'm sure a few, other than just me learnt about mail's effect!) With this in mind, I think the gimmicks should stay for next time otherwise it's too srs :( There are other threads for finding real counters (...probably?), leave this one for fun.

Oh and reservations are nice but they make you kind of not do it until last minute. I don't mind either way, but I look forward to when you bring it back, hopefully bigger and better than before!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)