Create Your Own Adventure - Comic

RHYHORN

You can't say it would get its ass beat a lot, because it could bring down pretty much all the other pokemon in the poll, barring Cubone.

First of all, just look at it. It's a freaking boss. Just as badass as Aron, IMO. How can you deny how cool it would be to start out with one of these?

In addition to looking awesome, it turns into a beast called Rhyperior. This could go in with the "maturing with the pokemon" theme that was mentioned earlier.

Here's another reason why eventually having Rhyperior would be great.
"From holes in its palms it fires out Geodude."
That's from it's Pokedex entry. It works with the fainting=dying idea.

I honestly can't think of a better starter than Rhyhorn, and it DEFINITELY deserves to be added to the poll. I can defend it more if you want me to.
Copy that. ^^ So it's RHYHORN for me.

I'm torn between Growlithe and Cubone. I like the idea of man's best friend as a starter, but the idea of a starter with a sad past just as much.

We need 3 more RHYHORN votes to beat Cubone. I encourage all of you to vote for this guy before it's too late.

Lot's of nominees obviously won't win. Those who voted for them, and who don't like Cubone, change your vote to Rhyhorn! You'll be the deciding factor in who wins, I think.

We need 3 more RHYHORN votes to beat Cubone. I encourage all of you to vote for this guy before it's too late.

Lot's of nominees obviously won't win. Those who voted for them, and who don't like Cubone, change your vote to Rhyhorn! You'll be the deciding factor in who wins, I think.
I am not going back and recounting dozens of votes. All votes are final.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
There is actually a problem with Rhyhorn though: it would look weird for the character to trade away his boss Rhydon in order to evolve it, and I think not finishing with Rhyperior would be kind of strange for an older protagonist.

^^ Also I doubt I can draw rhyhorn, lol :/

EDIT: As things are starting to slow down I think we will close voting around this time tomorrow. Gives stragglers a little bit more time to get their votes in.

Thanks for all the input so far!

There is actually a problem with Rhyhorn though: it would look weird for the character to trade away his boss Rhydon in order to evolve it, and I think not finishing with Rhyperior would be kind of strange for an older protagonist.
There are certainly ways to get around this; one I can think of off the top of my head is asking a friend for a trade-tradeback, or even changing how the protector works (only need to give it to him, or tie it into a battle somehow).

Or you could do the tried-tested-and-true manga method of having the protagonist swap Pokemon with the rival for a while, but good luck simulating that in-game ;)

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Or you could do the tried-tested-and-true manga method of having the protagonist swap Pokemon with the rival for a while, but good luck simulating that in-game ;)
How does the manga sell the good guy giving away his precious first Pokemon to his hated rival? That sounds ridiculous. What will they think of next? He loans at a reasonable rate to Team Rocket?

How does the manga sell the good guy giving away his precious first Pokemon to his hated rival? That sounds ridiculous. What will they think of next? He loans at a reasonable rate to Team Rocket?
It actually happens multiple times in the manga.

Anyway, I was just browsing over the forums, decided this looked awesome and decided to contribute. My vote is CUBONE.

I love the ideas going on here and this might turn out amazing.

There are certainly ways to get around this; one I can think of off the top of my head is asking a friend for a trade-tradeback, or even changing how the protector works (only need to give it to him, or tie it into a battle somehow).

It actually happens multiple times in the manga.

Anyway, I was just browsing over the forums, decided this looked awesome and decided to contribute. My vote is CUBONE.

I love the ideas going on here and this might turn out amazing.
Yeah, this does happen quite a bit in the manga. If one of the pokemon who require trade for their final stage were to be chosen though then I will be finding some other way to make that happen in the story. I have a HG version so I would trade it over real quick and then back and make up some premise in the story for how it happened.

@Studio534 I would like the least amount of stress possible for the author I say choose which ever will be the easiest to make and go for it.

RHYHORN

Rhyhorn would be so epic as a starter, especially as it evolves into the walking death machine that is Rhypherior.

I am not going back and recounting dozens of votes. All votes are final.
But you changed your vote from Growlithe to Cubone............

That wouldn't be a problem. We're already changing the way things work in-game by saying faint=die. Why not change it a little more by saying it doesn't have to be a strict trade?

Or, if we want to go by the way it works in-game, we could say that he lends it to his buddy who doesn't have one. Like Norman and Wally in Emerald. There are a lot of ways to work around the evolving thing.

STARTER VOTING FINAL ROUND!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

AS BEFORE: to limit confusion, and me having to sift through posts to figure out who people are voting for, I will be requiring everyone to follow a specific format for their votes to be considered.

Everyone's posts should look like this example below:

Studio534 said:
POKEMON'S NAME (All CAPS, Bolded and in Red)

Any justification you may want to add for your choice. I really like POKEMON'S NAME because... etc.
To make this process as quick and simple as possible we will limit everyone to just ONE vote. Pick your favorite choice and stand behind it!

YOU MAY ONLY VOTE FOR:

• Cubone - 7
  • Growlithe - 2
  • Rhyhorn - 6

These are the 3 front runners from the 1st round of voting. Since, as SlimMan pointed out, so many of you had voted for candidates that did not stand a chance the 1st time around I decided that instead of making that round the final say that I would narrow it and see what you guys actually think between the 3.

PLEASE follow the proper format for submitting votes (seen above) and PLEASE only select one candidate... NO "Well either _______ or ______" You must make a decision.

This round of voting will last until tomorrow (Friday) night.

Best of luck to everyone's candidates!

So far it's 2-2-2.

But I have confidence in the people of Smogon to vote for the best and coolest starter.

By which I mean Rhyhorn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)