Project Counter That Pokemon PU Edition (Team 2 Round 2 Nomination Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Counter That Pokemon!
approved by Dell.
OP stolen from Tressed who stole it from Halcyon.

How it works

This project will focus on the construction of two separate teams, both bent on completely countering the other. The way this will be done is simple. Each team will pick a Pokemon one at a time alternating as follows: Team 1 picks, then Team 2 picks, then Team 2 picks, then Team 1 picks, then team 1 again, and so on until both teams have six Pokemon. At the beginning of every round, the Pokemon you pick should be one that does its best to counter the Pokemon (that’s plural btw!) that the other team picked in the previous rounds. This takes considerable amounts of team building skills, as it is important to simultaneously pick Pokemon that can counter whatever the opposing team picks while still trying to maintain synergy and prevent the other team from picking effective counters themselves. NOTE WHEN I SAY TEAM 1 AND TEAM 2, I MEAN THE POKEMON TEAMS. PEOPLE PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROJECT WILL BE ABLE TO DO SO FOR BOTH TEAMS.

Each round will have two periods: a nomination period and a voting period. During the nomination period, new users as well as veterans can nominate whatever Pokemon they feel will best suit the team relative to the opposing team (for the first round, it will just be a Pokemon that Team 1 will want to build around). I encourage people to discuss the different nominations during this time. After all, if we don’t have solid discussions about which Pokemon is best suited for the team, it will be very difficult to pick the best choice. After four days of nominations, the voting period will begin. Voting will last three days, after which the following round will begin. Also, please don't try to get people to participate just to vote for your nomination.

Once the two teams have been created, voting will be open to nominate two people to battle using the created teams in a best of three series to see which team has truly countered the other!

Rules

Nominations must be serious in nature. I don’t to see anyone making nominations for teams built around Slaking or anything of the sort. That being said, if you want to use an underrated Pokemon or one that may be considered “bad” in normal play, yet does a good job countering the opposing team, that is perfectly okay.

No insulting others for their opinions on what Pokemon is best. The standard PU forum rules about flaming apply to this thread as well. If you insult users, you may face infractions, so just be respectful to your fellow users n_n.

All nominations must have solid reasoning as to why that Pokemon should be chosen. I’m not asking for a novel, but at least a paragraph explaining why you think your set is best is necessary. Any nomination without an explanation to go with it will be ignored.

Each person only gets one nomination per round. You can't just post three or four counters every round hoping that yours will be picked. Just submit the one you believe is best suited to counter the given Pokemon.

NO SLASHES ALLOWED ON YOUR MOVESETS. Otherwise, the opposing team's "counter" might end up not being a counter at all.

With that said, I hope you enjoy Counter That Pokemon!

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reserved for Team 1.

Arbok @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Last edited:

TONE

Reserved for Team 2.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

TONE

Nominations are now open. You have four days to post your set.

nomming Simipour

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Low Kick

Life Orb 4 attacks Simipour has the power and coverage to take on the whole tier. There's very few switchins to this thing and what thinks it can switch in (cough cough Lickilicky) gets 2HKOd by Low Kick and if Poliwrath tries to switch in, it gets 2HKOd by Grass Knot. This thing would really restrict team building for Team 2, as they are basically forced to run a hard check. At a pesky base 101 Speed, Simipour sits in a great speed tier, being able to outspeed base 100s such as Dodrio and Ninetales, and lower.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Arbok @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
Nobody uses it and its really good. I think arbok would be nice for this project as it has few counters just quite a few offensive checks. It is also a nice poke to build around, it provides support with sucker + removing tspikes, and it isnt really restricting at all due to the lack of competition and other poison types. Set is standard and there isnt much too explain.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Zwelious is an underrated threat and a solid answer to very scary Pokemon in the current Meta such as Simipour and Ninetails. It's a solid phaser and can get solid damage off even without a lot of Attack investment. It's also a pretty hard Pokemon to Counter seeing as it's only Major Weaknesses are Fighting, Ice and Fairy; which aren't extremely common.

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Carracosta_BW.gif

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

I will suggest the really bland and overpowered option. Carracosta is a monstrosity in PU with Shell Smash. Stone Edge really hurts anything that doesn't resist it and serves as the primary albeit risky STAB option. Aqua Jet is on the set because Jolly Carracosta at +2 speed only reaches 358 speed, which does not outpace base 115 speed pokemon or higher so priority is highly appreciated. Zen Headbutt is chosen over Waterfall due to the fact that Zen Headbutt is crucial for getting around Poliwrath who walls this pokemon completely otherwise.

In respect to this thread, Carracosta does provide a few things. First, it provides Team 1 with a solid starting point in making their team with a great lategame sweeper. Second, the use of Zen Headbutt makes Poliwrath a tentative check at best, which takes away Team 2's best option for countering Carracosta and therefore makes the job of providing an answer a little bit harder. Third, the use of Zen Headbutt over Waterfall or Ice Beam makes countering Carracosta subjectively easier, since now Team 2 can use bulky Grass or even ironic bulky Ground to beat this thing. That can, however, be banked on by Team 1 for the next choice...and so on...

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

I also feel like Usaring is used rarely, as I didn't even use it a lot recently, so I think this would be good as a nomination, because most of teams I see are also unprepared to it, and I wanted to build a viable team round it for a long time. Ursaring hardly finds counters in the tier, as it can absorb most status and use them in its favour, thanks to Quick Feet, which doubles its speed, and Facade, which deals a lot of damage to most of the tier, reducing the number of checks too, while still carrying a really good coverage in Close Combat and Crunch to screw common switch-ins to its STAB move, such as Steel- and Ghost-types, and Swords Dance, to run through defensive teams. Also, with the departure of Haunter, another check is gone, as the Choice Scarf set gave problems to Ursaring, forcing its switch most of the times, this allows Ursaring to spam Facade with more safety.

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Al'Akir, because it forces Team 2 to build in a more predictable way (i.e. a bulky grass, because Poliwrath doesn't like taking LO SS ZH).

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lures don't work in this project smh, doesn't matter how predictably team 2 builds since team 1 will know exactly what they're building and go off that. Simipour and Ursaring are the best ones imo cos they either force team 2 to use niche counters or rely on checks

so I'm voting Raiza

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
In this thread, what would normally be a lure on the ladder works a bit differently here. Simply put, a lure like Carracosta's Zen Headbutt changes its moveset to increase its overall coverage, and therefore limits the number of possible checks and counters. Al'Akir's Carracosta is good because Poliwrath is no longer a counter, let alone a check.
Further, his is Jolly, so that means Jumpluff and LO Raichu can no longer check it after a Shell Smash because they're both KO'd by a faster, +2 LO Stone Edge. It basically forces the other team to pick from Bulky Grass types like Tangela in order to take a hit from Costa, which means when Team 1 is being built after team 2's next selections have been made, team 1 can simply select a counter to the counter to form a core that's difficult to beat, like Zebstrika in this case (assuming Costa wins the nomination phase for team 1).

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we're posting reasoning, costa basically forces on a bulky grass type and makes the team much too rigid imo. I'd prefer Ursaring or Arbok because they're easy to check/counter without being so easy that you can slap on anything, giving the teams some more breathing space

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Raiza

also, I mostly put the Carracosta up as a 'safe' option. Carracosta can slide on to a large variety of teams, so I was testing the waters to see how this thread would actually work because I had no clue. I am glad to see that the set is making people talk at least

TONE

It's been three days and it's a tie, so i'll break the tie and vote for Antyconda so Arbok will the first member of Team 1. Nominations for the first member of Team 2 is now open.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Since Team 1 has Arbok, I'm going to nominate Piloswine for Team 2.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear / Roar
- Stealth Rock

Piloswine allows for a variety of options team wise while adding a very good Hazard Setter in the Meta with an Offensive Presence. It also is very solid against Arbok if it doesn't have Aqua Tail and could Roar it out if it wants.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall

Carracosta seems a good fit for Team 2. Shell Smash Carracosta is an offensive Pokemon we can start off building on this set in a solid way, as Arbok struggles with strong attackers and offensive pressure, while Carracosta is able to at least tank two EQs from Arbok thanks to Solid Rock and its good base Defense, and it can basically shot it with Stone Edge plus Aqua Jet combination along with Life Orb, while it is difficult to check itself because of Shell Smash, so actually gives a challenge to next stages, which I think is a positive thing.

Akir

A true villain!
Golem_BW.gif

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

This Golem counters Arbok all day and all night. With Leftovers and near-max HP, Arbok has no hope of 2HKOing Golem at +1. Even max rolls on both Earthquake AND Sucker Punch only reaches 97.9%, while Golem can respond and almost always kill with an unboosted Earthquake. I will make a cut for the calcs:

Arbok ---> Golem
252+ Atk Arbok Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Golem: 144-170 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Arbok Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Golem: 214-254 (58.9 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Arbok Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Golem: 86-102 (23.6 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Arbok Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Golem: 48-57 (13.2 - 15.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 252+ Atk Arbok Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Golem: 286-338 (78.7 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Golem ---> Arbok
252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 458-542 (175.4 - 207.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 306-362 (117.2 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. +2 0 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 230-272 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 306-362 (117.2 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO, just in case of the rare chance of Arbok getting Intimidate off
-1 252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Arbok: 204-242 (78.1 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, just in case of the rare chance that Arbok gets the Intimidate off AND we let them get a Coil too

Another set that Golem can run against Arbok is the Weakness Policy Rock Polish set, but that set has a chance to lose in an Earthquake + Sucker Punch scenario with Stealth Rock damage...and I wanted a counter that would not give Arbok any room for hope. The Leftovers also lets Golem keep the ability to counter Arbok for longer by healing off any residual damage Golem might acquire over the match, including Stealth Rock damage that would push the +1 Earthquake + Sucker Punch into a possible KO. This thread is about countering the last pokemon nominated, and this Golem can beat Arbok reliably and wholly. The only true option that Team 1 has with their Arbok against this Golem is to switch...and Team 2 can just set up Stealth Rock on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)