CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 10a (Attack Moves Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hrrm, I really do believe that this thing should get at least flamethrower and fire blast, every rock type does that doesn't have a secondary type that totally coincides with fire :S

I will jump on the "no flamethrower" bandwagon here.

Some meanlingness numbers: The combination of fire-ground-rock hit around 25 OU pokes SE (x2 or x4). To have a parameter, Electivire (which is the OU example of type coverage) hit 29 of them SE with 4 moves on its standard set. This means that with the proper hidden power (and a possible 90 BP attached with Technician), Rockmon can actually surpass Electivire. For example, if you include Hidden Power Ghost, you will hit around 31 OU pokes SE, which is a really nice number. Also, unlike Electivire, who needs motor drive to activate in other to "sweep", rockmon can sweep right away with its 130 base speed AND it actually resists physical hits better (and special as well if you include sandstorm). This may not seem much, snce Electrivire is decreasing in usage, but with only with 3 moves, it has the potential to surpass the offensive power of said poke (if you consider the speed, better defenses and the abilties), giving you an extra slot to add whatever you want, possibly improving even more its power.

I am probably playing too much theorymon here, but I find the idea of having a poke with 3 moves being able to deal damage like an other OU poke with 4 moves scary. I'd much rather keep fire as hidden power, so you will have to give up some coverage to give it a fire attack, and maybe a more effective ability to have a powerful attack.

I'd not mind Thunderbolt and Ice Beam and *insert grass move*, TBH, but flamethrower/fire blast/overheat....ehh....it is kinda risky. But that is me.
So you're saying rock, ground, fire, and ghost hit 31 OUs SE? Even if Rockmon doesn't get Flamethrower, he still might get shadow ball so the coverage is still there if you use HP fire. Are you against Shadow Ball also?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This post made me smile a bit.

Admittedly for this very reason I'm against a +2 boosting move like NP. I think that Calm Mind may or may not be acceptable. Notably Alakazam has CM and has 135 SA, 120 Speed. Mind you, as you've noted, he doesn't have a very good movepool. However that doesn't actually balance it out, he's BL and not used very often at all. I think that if this is Alakazam-esque with a good movepool it may very well be OU without going overboard.

One important thing to remember is that Garchomp, the best example of a just-over-the-line Pokemon we can compare this to, doesn't just have no counters: it has no counters with ONE SET. Like I said before, if there's too much use of the word "or" in your arguments about Rockmon, it becomes increasingly unrealistic because there's only 4 moves per set. I also believe that most people are going to have priorities, so some moves will simply be more useful in general than others. For example, Azelf usually doesn't run Thunderbolt or Shadow Ball. Deoxys-E doesn't often run Grass Knot or HP Fire. Gengar doesn't usually run Psychic or Energy Ball.

I know it's very possible for this to be broken if we're utterly careless, but I'm really shocked at how trigger-happy some of us are with using the word "broken", a main reason perhaps being that we recently banned Garchomp, and this is troubling. I remember how we all thought that Charge Beam would be broken on Pyroak and, as it turns out, he's a fairly average Pokemon. I don't know about any of you, but I don't want Rockmon to be an "average" Pokemon.
Alakazam has paper defenses, is pursuit bait, and has a type immune to its attacks. Rockmon has none of those disadvantages, and in fact, in addition to being immune to Sandstorm, gets an SDef boost. The two are nothing alike, including the fact Zam is still slower than at least one of its counters, Weavile.

Alakazam has paper defenses, is pursuit bait, and has a type immune to its attacks. Rockmon has none of those disadvantages, and in fact, in addition to being immune to Sandstorm, gets an SDef boost. The two are nothing alike, including the fact Zam is still slower than at least one of its counters, Weavile.
Well, I should hope that CAP 5 would have some advantages over Zam, or else he would be borderline...

CAP 5's physical defense is pretty bad regardless, and suffers from a metagame that packs super-effective moves against it (5 of 6 pokes on a random mono-Fire team in RMT cited earlier would have destroyed this guy if he switched in). So he has a better STAB and a niche on Sandstorm teams. He's still walled by the omnipresent Blissey without Explosion.

Originally Posted by Fat Frosty
I will jump on the "no flamethrower" bandwagon here.

Some meanlingness numbers: The combination of fire-ground-rock hit around 25 OU pokes SE (x2 or x4). To have a parameter, Electivire (which is the OU example of type coverage) hit 29 of them SE with 4 moves on its standard set. This means that with the proper hidden power (and a possible 90 BP attached with Technician), Rockmon can actually surpass Electivire. For example, if you include Hidden Power Ghost, you will hit around 31 OU pokes SE, which is a really nice number. Also, unlike Electivire, who needs motor drive to activate in other to "sweep", rockmon can sweep right away with its 130 base speed AND it actually resists physical hits better (and special as well if you include sandstorm). This may not seem much, snce Electrivire is decreasing in usage, but with only with 3 moves, it has the potential to surpass the offensive power of said poke (if you consider the speed, better defenses and the abilties), giving you an extra slot to add whatever you want, possibly improving even more its power.

I am probably playing too much theorymon here, but I find the idea of having a poke with 3 moves being able to deal damage like an other OU poke with 4 moves scary. I'd much rather keep fire as hidden power, so you will have to give up some coverage to give it a fire attack, and maybe a more effective ability to have a powerful attack.

I'd not mind Thunderbolt and Ice Beam and *insert grass move*, TBH, but flamethrower/fire blast/overheat....ehh....it is kinda risky. But that is me.
You are missing two important points

First of all, hitting super effective a pokemon does not mean you OHKO or 2HKO it. Blissey, Suicune and Milotic are 3HKOed by respectively Focus Blast and Thunderbolt (being 3HKOed by Thunder requires a minor investment in SPdef by the 2 bulky waters but is possible nonetheless), and all the three can threat our CAP5 in one turn - Blissey will simply TWave it, while Suicune and Milotic can OHKO back with surf if not in a SS
If you lack Flamethrower, then you will have to add Bronzong and Scizor to the counter list (Skarmory is 2HKOed by Ancientpower and, without Leftovers, even Power Gem has a minor chance - about 20% - to 2HKO), as well as bulky grass types like Venusaur, Land Shaymin and Celebi. Without Psychic, Revenankh, Gallade and even Machamp suddendly become counters because you can only 3HKO all of them. And without Thunderbolt or a Grass Move, pretty much every water type not called gyarados will switch in and threat you all the time. You can surely use HP to cover a weaknesses, but without any of the attacks i listed you are still left with a huge load of counters

Moreover, you say that having this thing a good number of counters isnt a bad thing. Well, remember that, for this thing, being forced to switch out more often than not is a much bigger liability than it is for other sweepers. Pokemon like Gyarados, Gengar, Lucario, Garchomp, even Electivire, has a few number of easy switch ins. Gyarados has one of the better typing in the game and Intimidate, Lucario has 3 4X resistances and 1 immunity, along with a load of resistances, Gengar has 3 immunities, Garchomp has the best typing in the game for a sweeper and many resistances along with an immunity, Electivire has di not-so-used-albeit-useful Motor Drive, and i cant see using him without tryng to benefit from its ability. The point is: our CAP5 is already hard to bring in play, if it is easy to force out it will be BL, no matter what, because it will be pretty much unuseable. I like think CAP5 will be like Rayquaza in ubers: hard to bring in play, but hard to stop once it start its sweep.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Actually I don't see Alakazam as having that great of a movepool. With the transition from ADV to DPPt, it lost the elemental punches, becoming physical, and earned only Grass Knot, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast in compensation, which simply aren't as good as having a Special Electric, Ice and Fire attack. I think that is the main reason why it's not OU.

And dont forget that bulky or faster sweepers with pursuit such as Weavile and Metagross counter Alakazam 100% of the time thanks to pursuit weakness. Of course our CAP5 has less trouble to switch out, but the problem is: he will find very hard to switch in again. There are very few things which cant touch him in a way or another, because any rather powered physical attack is going for the 2HKO even if neutral and stron physical attacks 2HKO even if resisted. The Special side fares better only if in a SS, otherwise i cant see that much difference between 166 def and 176 spdef...

Alakazam has a not-so-good type coverage (yet, if we would listen to some suggestions, CAP5 would have an even worse coverage), but has a ton of supporting/annoying/setup moves to help it. Encore, Trick, Screens, Knock Off, Calm Mind... Albeit not so common, they still can have an undeniable usefulness on the right set, and while we are still not discussing its support movepool, i'd pretty much assume most of you want to make a pure sweeper out of CAP5, pure such as Lucario but only with special sweeping capabilities.

Well, here's the trick: there's not a pure special sweeper in OU metagame.
Most of the so-called special sweepers almost are associable with the following cases
1) special sweeping power and status moves
2) special sweeping power and support moves
3) special sweeping power and enough bulkiness to run more tankish oriented sets too

The most close pokemon to a pure special sweeper which comes to my mind is Raikou. Oh, it's BL...

@jasper: please avoid "woot its uber" statement and back them with reasoning and damage calculations -.-

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Personally, this DOES have enough bulk to run a Raikou-esqe Sub/CM set in sandstorm. But you're right, there are no pure special sweepers in OU, because every team is different. There are many Pokemon that can reliably run special sweeping sets in OU, but unpredictability is Key. This is why I am against only making it a Pure special sweeper. Being a special sweeper is a niche in and of itself. If we limit it to that one niche, then yes, it will be good at its job. Fidgit went a bit too far as a jack-of-all-trades, but something in-between Fidgit and say...Weavile would be great for this Pokemon. This isn't to say special sweeping should be its only option. However, I envision this doing many things from revenge killing, late-game clean up, Special Tanking with Sub/CM and Sandstorm, and even suicide lead, should it get Taunt and Stealth Rock. So no, there are no pure special sweepers in OU right now. That means we shouldn't make this one either.

Give it stealth rock, it'd become something similar to the scarftran leads I see often these days. Btw rockmon does not faint to bulky water surfs ever as I recall >_>, maybe with SR in play and no SS

don't give it flamethrower/fire blast and let it take out half of its checks.

It has a technician'd HP Fire to use if need be but at least then it has to forgo an alternative Hidden power to use it.

I am for Boltbeam for good coverage to actually make use of its speed.

(This is going to be a sweeper deoxys-e lite I feel)

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Rockmon does have paper physical defenses. The rest of the points are taken, however I don't think those are breaking Rockmon with a good movepool, considering that Alakazam is so uncommon because of its problems. If anything, I think that these little bonuses will help Rockmon surpass Alakazam rather than break him.

I also think it's a stretch to say that the two are nothing alike. They're both fast special sweepers, and I have doubts as to whether or not Rockmon will be using boosts.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rockmon does have paper physical defenses. The rest of the points are taken, however I don't think those are breaking Rockmon with a good movepool, considering that Alakazam is so uncommon because of its problems. If anything, I think that these little bonuses will help Rockmon surpass Alakazam rather than break him.

I also think it's a stretch to say that the two are nothing alike. They're both fast special sweepers, and I have doubts as to whether or not Rockmon will be using boosts.
90/65 Defense is much better than Lucario. Does Lucario have "paper defense(s)?" No. It isn't a tank, but it doesn't die from a random non-SE STAB hit. For Comparison, Gar has 60/60 and Alakazam has 55/45.

Alakazam has as much in common with Rockmon as it does with Zapdos. Being a special attacker that can sweep is the only thing they have remotely in common. Everything else from type matchup to weather effects to counters is completely different. I think Porygon-Z has a very slight edge on this defensively.

This has 95 Physical tankiness and 102 Special tankiness, PZ has 99 and 104.

Zam has 57 and 93, Gar has 74 and 88, Lucario has 89s.

Obviously this surpasses Zam, Zam lost a lot of things in the shuffle to DP it would have preferred to keep, and a large portion of its safe switchins moved around, to Zam's detriment. In fact, in X-Act's analysis tool this has "average" defenses, whereas most of the rest of them fell into Below Average or Bad in some cases.

Alakazam always has its variety hour of cool tricks in Trick, Encore, Screens, T-Wave, etc. Alakazam is better at doing those sorts of things where this will be more focused into a special, and possibly, for anyone crazy enough, mixed sweeper.

90/65 Defense is much better than Lucario. Does Lucario have "paper defense(s)?" No. It isn't a tank, but it doesn't die from a random non-SE STAB hit. For Comparison, Gar has 60/60 and Alakazam has 55/45.

Alakazam has as much in common with Rockmon as it does with Zapdos. Being a special attacker that can sweep is the only thing they have remotely in common. Everything else from type matchup to weather effects to counters is completely different. I think Porygon-Z has a very slight edge on this defensively.

This has 95 Physical tankiness and 102 Special tankiness, PZ has 99 and 104.

Zam has 57 and 93, Gar has 74 and 88, Lucario has 89s.

Obviously this surpasses Zam, Zam lost a lot of things in the shuffle to DP it would have preferred to keep, and a large portion of its safe switchins moved around, to Zam's detriment. In fact, in X-Act's analysis tool this has "average" defenses, whereas most of the rest of them fell into Below Average or Bad in some cases.

Alakazam always has its variety hour of cool tricks in Trick, Encore, Screens, T-Wave, etc. Alakazam is better at doing those sorts of things where this will be more focused into a special, and possibly, for anyone crazy enough, mixed sweeper.
Typing means much more than pure stats, especially when it comes to switch-ins. Lucario has 3 4X resistance and an immunity, so every move named Megahorn, Stone edge, Crunch, Bug Buzz, Dark Pulse and Toxic to name a few are safe swtich ins. Same can be said for Gengar, with all the Earthquakes, Toxic, Grass Knot and assorted Normal attacks thrown around. What does have our Rockmon? Normal attacks, which are not so common. Fire moves, ok. Flying moves, which are not so good switch-ins, since many flying attacks barring Togekiss ones are physical - to put in perspective, Choice Band Adamant Staraptor's Brave Bird does 69,77-82,31% to no HP/Def EV CAP5. And, ah yes, Poison. The worst attacking type in the game. Only useful to be immune to in order to avoid Toxic, but a resistance... who cares, really?
A part from Normal, Fire, Poison and Flying Attacks, everything else is unresisted or (Grass,Fighting,Ground,Water,Steel) hit super effective. 3 of the said 5 types have a priority move. So, even remotely powered physical attack is going to seriously harm this guy, and, since you seem willing to give him many counters, he will be forced to switch out easily. How many times you think CAP5 will be able to switch in?

Of course, you could run levitate, but the power drop from Tech AP to Power Gem is very relevant, as it is the loss of Tech HP. The point is: OR we make him able to play sets which are able to counter its standard counters (Such as Gengar's Subpunch), which are however less effective overall than the standard set, OR this thing will be BL. End of the story.

@Goodbar: bulky waters OHKO this thing. SR is not required. the only liability here is SS

@Tennis: Raikou has 10 more in defense, as much Spdef as CAP5 in SS without any setup, but above all he's electric typed. A part from Ground, nothing else hits him supereffectively. Guys, it seems to me that you undervalue how bad being Rock type is on the defensive. Its not a case Gamefreak has given SS boost only to rock and not to Ground or Steel. Maybe Rock is not the bottom of the barrel like Ice is (defensively), but its pretty damn close

Flash Blitz/Flare Dash
Type: Fire
BP: 40
Accuracy: 100%
BP: 30
Priority: +1
Damage: Special
Description: Fire version of Quick Attack.
Effect: Attacker always go first. May Cause burn.

Vital Impact/Stone Shot
Type: rock
BP: 90
Accuracy: -
BP: 20
Priority: 0
Description: Rock version of Aura Sphere.
(Might get better name later).

Flash Blitz/Flare Dash

Not only a move which annihilates most of his checks is suspect, but i dont like the idea of giving to CAP5 a new move whose type is different. There's no precedent to this.

Vital Impact/Stone Shot

Again, i think this move is too powerful. Come on guys, if we give a move like this to CAP5, it will be used even over AP on the Tech set for matters of PP... I know we must not nerf this because of Technician, but giving it a move like this would sound like giving Recover as well as Moonlight to Revenankh, pretty much rendering the secondary ability almost useless.

Flash Blitz/Flare Dash

I don't really like the names, but aside from that, I think it could work as a useful tool against Scizor who otherwise rapes Rockmon completely.
Not so worried about the 'precedent' - this is only CAP5 zarator. I'd be more worried about the potential for this to be seen as a very unproffessional move.

Vital Impact/Stone Shot

Well zarator, everyone has been talking about a Rock version of Aura Sphere so what would you nerf in order to make this a suitable alternative to Tech AP?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, I'm agreeing on zarator on this, on second thoughts. If we give him a new Special Rock move, it should have less than 90 BP so as to make 90 BP Technician'd Ancientpower usable.

80 BP would be fine. Gengar itself gets by with Shadow Ball (80BP) and Sludge Bomb (90BP, but terrible typing).

So I'd actually go for an 80 BP move having a nice, but not broken, effect. That's if people actually want a new move on this...

And to those people who think 'Technician is a secondary ability'... well, there exist no 'secondary' abilities in Pokemon. Clefable's first ability is 'Cute Charm', but do you really see people use it over Magic Guard, being its 'secondary' ability? Quagsire's primary ability is 'Damp', but do you see people use it over Water Absorb? There are no secondary abilities in Pokemon. A Pokemon either has one or two abilities, and, if it has two, none of them is 'primary' or 'secondary'.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A move with 90 BP that always hits, or one that 10% of the time turns you into an amazing sweeper?
Ok so its not like Ancientpower is massively better, but that combined with:
90 BP grass move (Nice for Grounds and Bulky Waters) that heals half your health (Giga Drain)
90-88 BP move of ANY TYPE (Hidden Power)
and possibly a boost to Vacuum Wave, Icy Wind, and a few others.

Ok so most people may still chose Levitate, but Tech will not be a gimmick.
There is NO NEED to reduce Levitate's power to make Technician more viable, in fact its stupid to do so.
This this will need almost everything we can give it in order to be really viable in OU. And its not like we will be able to make it broken without doing something absolutely crazy (like a 200 BP move with no drawbacks, or sketch) as there are so many checks.
If it has Flamethrower Scizor will not be able to switch in to every move this has, but it can still come in on Rock STAB, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Earth Power in fact everything bar HP Fire and Flamethrower.
Its not a perfect counter but its a brilliant check that can switch in on almost everything this has. (I oppose a Fire Priority move because Scizor will no longer even be a check, and for flavour reasons.)

If we give this Ice Beam then suddenly it will not be walled by bulky grounds. Now is it so bad to let this take out Hippowdon/Donphan when Blissey/Snorlax/Bulky Waters (Tbolt does not 2KO)/Swampert (other than Giga Drain) and so many others wall it to death?

And I lol at Giga Drain being broken as some have suggested... Seriously... It gives it a weapon against Swampert. How common is Swampy? Grounds are hit harder by Ice Beam and Waters by Tbolt. However this move on its own gives Technician sets something quite major over Levitate ones, decent healing possibilitys.

X-Act, ok then well nerfing Levitate's sets to make Technician more viable is like nerfing Magic Guard sets to make Cute Charm viable.. its just dumb.
I know it's an exaggeration, but I hope you get the point.

Why should both ability's have to be used equally much?
I would kind of like it if they were, but from a competitive angle it does not matter. What matters is its overall power.

Just thought I'd make a little post about moves that will only be competitively viable on Technician sets, but which could be extremely helpful with Tech.

Giga Drain - lots has already been said about the possible usefulness of this. Kabutops has Giga Drain on account of his claws/fluid draining bit.

Mud Shot - 82.5BP is almost as strong as Earth Power with Technician.
With a side-effect that always occurs, it would definitely be a viable alternative to Earth Power. This could be very handy should scarfers get hit on the switch in - Scarftran in particular as after the SpA drop Rockmon can 2HKO. Also useful against Agiligross that thinks it can switch in and set up while Rockmon switches.

Tutors:

Icy Wind will be very useful should Rockmon not get Ice Beam. If it does get Ice Beam then Icy Wind will only have situational use.

Ominous Wind is more powerful than Shadow Ball with Technician and would be very helpful for Revenankh. The side effect will only happen once in a blue moon but since this will have Ancientpower anyway, I doubt this will encourage any additional complaints about hax.

Vacuum Wave is the only useful existing priority attack for Rockmon. Can hit a few things well, but not most of the Steels that switch in because of their secondary types. Fairly balanced.

For a new move, how about:

Diamond Cutter/Gem Cannon/Something Else
Type: Rock
BP: 80
Accuracy: 100
PP: 15
Description: 20% chance to lower the foe's Special Defence.

Basically a Shadow Ball clone.
I envisage this as being a more viable alternative to Tech Ancientpower, and something for those who are worried about the high BP of an Aura Sphere clone.

I'd be fine with an 80 BP move that has a useful side effect, like Shadow Ball's. I'm not particularly attached to any particular set of stats for the new move, but I really do think there needs to be one to make a serious OU threat as a sweeper - something that Alakazam and Raikou aren't, at the moment.

I want this to get a good movepool mainly to keep the checks just that, checks - not counters. It'll likely end up with a bad case of 4MS, as it can't carry Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Grass Knot/Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Earth Power, and Rock move at the same time (let alone any stat boosting moves it might have) even if it gets all those moves, so any individual set will have several hard counters on top of Blissey. And the Bullet Punchers like Scizor can handle it pretty well even with Fire Blast by switching carefully or coming in after a kill, much like Timid Scartran can handle Skymin even if it can't switch in safely on Earth Power.

Diamond Core
Special
Rock
Power: 80
Accuracy: 100
Effect: 20% chance to burn, confuse, or paralyze.

Rock Tri-Attack?

Or just:

20% chance to lower the target's Special Defense 1 stage.

Rock Shadow Ball.

Or a Rock Aura Spere clone.

Another thing I came up with:

Diamond Core
Rock
Special
Power: 90
Accuracy: 85
Effect: 20% chance to confuse the foe.

Rock Special clone of Rock Climb.

In any case, I think that Diamond Core is an excellent name! Also, noone's offered a better name than Flint Spark for the Fire priority move.

Actually I don't see Alakazam as having that great of a movepool. With the transition from ADV to DPPt, it lost the elemental punches, becoming physical, and earned only Grass Knot, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast in compensation, which simply aren't as good as having a Special Electric, Ice and Fire attack. I think that is the main reason why it's not OU.
I just think Alakazam just completely gotten outclassed by Azelf. With higher defense, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Explosion, Stealth Rock and many moves that Alakazam has, it's making Alakazam not as useful, even with its higher SPA and SPE, it's simply nowhere near good enough.

I'm is full support of a Fire Type QA and a Rock Type Aura Sphere. Too bad we can't name Fire Type QA Flare Blitz. Anyway I think that if we give Rocky Fire Type QA we scrap all fire attacks except for HP Fire. I think Fire QA would work better for revenge killing purposes, and with Tech is pretty strong. A Sphere clone would also be useful for hitting Tran on the switch, hitting T-Tar stronger than E-Power, and rivals F-Blast with Accuracy vs. Power.

I'm pretty much in support of whatever you guys want to throw on this, at least for offensive moves. I don't really think it can break through OU with just coverage. Coverage + Stat Ups yes, but I don't think anyone is debating Earth Power, so it will always have coverage.

Also, I support X-Act's Aurora Beam clone (with higher BP). It's an effect never seen in OU (or anywhere since Aurora Beam is entirely inferior to Ice Beam). It also doesn't help it kill anything faster or become harder to kill, just means you might need to switch out and back in to get the OHKO.

Uh, CaP 5 doesn't need Fire moves to threaten Scizor. Without any boosting items, Timid Ancientpower is a slightly unreliable 2HKO on 252 HP Scizor, while Earth Power is a 3HKO. CaP 5 can't beat Scizor 1 on 1, but Scizor can't switch in safely at all unless it resists something.

As far as moves go, I'd really rather have something like Rock-type Aura Sphere than Aurora Beam; if we do choose Aurora Beam, then Technician instantly becomes the completely superior choice since it effectively increases all STAB moves power by 1.5 in addition to Hidden Power. If we stick with an Aura Sphere clone, both Technician and Levitate are viable choices.

Anyways, I really, really do not see the need for a fire type QA. It goes completely out of precedent (a priority move given to only one pokemon that isn't even that pokemon's type), and like I said earlier, CaP 5 can beat Scizor even without it. CaP 5 can still use something like steel-reducing Berry to survive Bullet Punch and HP Fire to 1HKO Scizor (which would also help against Metagross, Lucario, and Bronzong, so it's certainly a viable option); lets try thinking out of the box before giving our Pokemon a completely unnecessary and unfitting new attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)