CAP 4 CAP 4 - Attacking Moves Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely seems that way, but if that logic was applied to the rest of the game, we would never have Pokemon like Dusknoir blocking Rapid Spin, though it would seem that the effect of the spinning should still take place, regardless of whether or not the attack actually deals damage (lol... Rapid Spin dealing damage).
It should do like you said from a logic standpoint. I can only guess the reason why they did like this was to balance the move out for some slightly hidden reason.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How would a Poison/Ground Hand Spider get Ice Beam?

X-Act, I see where you're going with the new move, and I'm sure it's not broken, but I still don't like making new moves. I'm against new abilities and new moves as a personal thing, but wouldn't mind this I guess.

Why would we give this think Psychic? It would pretty much never be used, and again, I kind of feel like Psychic is an opposite type to Poison. It's not even Psychic itself. Against other Poison types, it'd just use Earthquake, and the super-effectiveness against Fighting types would really never be enough to justify it taking up a move slot.

Speaking of things that are super-effective against Fighting types, will this thing be able to get Aerial Ace, for Heracross if nothing else? I mean, even Dugtrio learns that move. That's even more ridiculous than the DLL learning Tailwind! :P

Attack Name: Toxin Wave
Type: Poison
Category: Special
Power Points: 10
Base Power: 100
Accuracy: 95
Battle Effect:

A wave of toxins released from the hands engulfs the foe. It has a 50% chance of inflicting the Toxic status.

I think this could be a very nice STAB move.

Also, with 50% chance of Toxic, it could be used to great effect.

Originally posted by Fat ParadOxymoron
Why would we give this think Psychic? It would pretty much never be used, and again, I kind of feel like Psychic is an opposite type to Poison. It's not even Psychic itself. Against other Poison types, it'd just use Earthquake, and the super-effectiveness against Fighting types would really never be enough to justify it taking up a move slot.

Speaking of things that are super-effective against Fighting types, will this thing be able to get Aerial Ace, for Heracross if nothing else? I mean, even Dugtrio learns that move. That's even more ridiculous than the DLL learning Tailwind! :P
Hopefully, Fighting Pokemon wouldn't be an issue anyway, seeing as this is Poison-typed, and it wouldn't be staying in against those who routinely carry EQ. On any not carrying EQ (Heracross aside), DLL could use his own ground attack and not have to worry about much abuse.

And Icy Vegeta... A hugely powerful move with 50% chance of badly poisoning the opponent? That would be broken against anything, even those Pokemon that resist it, except steels, of course, with that huge a chance of its effect.

There are A LOT of non-Ice/Water Pokémon that can learn it, many of which aren't even mystical. Tauros, Raticate, Nido lines of both genders, Marowak, Rhyperior, Lickitung, Linoone, Rampardos, Aggron... the list goes on an on. I wouldn't worry about flavour so much for this particular move.

For most beams/balls I'm thinking Dragonballz-style hand laser launching.

Personally, I think that since this guy is going to be packing support moves out the wazoo, he needs some boltbeam coverage.

I'm new here but have been lurking for around half a year now, but I have a suggestion. Maybe we could give this guy sucker punch or a new priority move to handle faster threats such as gengar, azelf, and alakazam. Maybe pair it up with nasty plot/swords dance for some massive damage. I know this pokemon was designed to be a utility pokemon, but I would just love it if it could also be some sort of special/physical sweeper.

I'm new here but have been lurking for around half a year now, but I have a suggestion. Maybe we could give this guy sucker punch or a new priority move to handle faster threats such as gengar, azelf, and alakazam. Maybe pair it up with nasty plot/swords dance for some massive damage. I know this pokemon was designed to be a utility pokemon, but I would just love it if it could also be some sort of special/physical sweeper.
Two problems here.

1. We already decided Stat-buffering and non-attacking moves, so no NP or Swords Dance.

2. We voted for a pure utility Pokemon. It's number one priority is to set up it's teammates.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For most beams/balls I'm thinking Dragonballz-style hand laser launching.

Personally, I think that since this guy is going to be packing support moves out the wazoo, he needs some boltbeam coverage.
He doesn't need ANY coverage, Ground+ Ice Punch gives great coverage as it is. Ice Beam just to take out dragons is stupid, when it doesn't fit flavor-wise, and you already have Ice Punch. I know its a TM, but please, no Ice Beam. This is a PURE UTILITY pokemon, not a Starmie "I can sweep and spin!" pokemon.

hm, what single type resists poison ground? i can't think of any.
i know that a lot of dual types resist it (zong, skarm).
i know that poison is a terrible attack type, though.
also, i think that thick mud sounds weird. acid mud would fit our pokemon better as a signature move.
i could see him sticking his hands into the ground and injecting poison into it; making it all gooey and disgusting and hard to walk though.

He doesn't need ANY coverage, Ground+ Ice Punch gives great coverage as it is.
Wow! Ice Punch off 76 attack! Thats amazing!

C'mon, he's special based. Whats with all the physical suggestions?

tennisace

Wow! Ice Punch off 76 attack! Thats amazing!

C'mon, he's special based. Whats with all the physical suggestions?
Because he's going to get a shitload of punches, and probably no beam-like attacks.

Edit: Lopunny has the exact same speed and attack, and it can do a lot with a CB. So don't play it off like 76 sucks by any means. Plus, you all voted for the special based spread, so don't whine when it gets a physical based flavor movepool.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For things like Icy Wind and the like, I really don't think flavor should be an issue considering the ridiculous movepool of fellow Ground-type Rhyperior (he learns THUNDERBOLT for Christ's sake) and to a lesser extent, the Rock-type Tyranitar. Hell, Groudon learns all of this shit too, but he's an Uber so he's probably not the best example. I think the most important thing to focus on is: will this break DDL?

I think the most important thing to focus on is: will this break DDL?
I'm very sure that with 90 base SpAtk and everyone using him for utility instead of attacking, Ice Beam will not break him. It'll give him better coverage, but not to the point of being SE on everything like Starmie or Deoxys-E.

tennisace

For things like Icy Wind and the like, I really don't think flavor should be an issue considering the ridiculous movepool of fellow Ground-type Rhyperior (he learns THUNDERBOLT for Christ's sake) and to a lesser extent, the Rock-type Tyranitar. Hell, Groudon learns all of this shit too, but he's an Uber so he's probably not the best example. I think the most important thing to focus on is: will this break DDL?
The thing is, we don't know for sure. We don't know what it can and can't do until we play with it. Until then, I'm still against the Elemental beams for reasons I've been repeating over and over.

The thing is, we don't know for sure. We don't know what it can and can't do until we play with it. Until then, I'm still against the Elemental beams for reasons I've been repeating over and over.
If we're not sure about something then why don't we just test it and see if it's overpowering or whatnot? We would never know the if your right or wrong until we try.

Basically the same way we had done other debatable moves. Vote to see if it even get pass the community before even allowing it to hit the testing site. Well either way you put it, we would still have to vote on it in order to test it.

I still strongly believe that weaker and lesser used special attacks are okay within it's movepool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)