Breloom (Choice Scarf) +

This is an unusual set that I had tried to submit a while ago, which was pretty effective as a fast Statuser. It was alright, but a little weak. With the advent of Platinum, Breloom gained Superpower, and I revived my efforts when Bos on Gamefaqs also started using this set. without further adieu...

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/breloom

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Spore
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
ability: Poison Heal
evs: 6 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Breloom's massive Attack and mediocre Speed he makes a natural candidate for a Choice Scarf. With a Choice Scarf equipped Breloom hits 393 Speed enough to outrun Adamant Gyarados after a Dragon Dance and OHKO it with Stone Edge the majority of the time (assuming it has been Intimidated). STAB Seed Bomb coming off of base 130 Attack will hurt anything that doesn't resist Grass, and will OHKO or easily 2HKO any Ground-, Water-, or Rock-type Pokemon not named Suicune or Hippowdon. Superpower annihilates Lucario, Tyranitar, and Normal-types, and deals more damage as a neutral attack than every other move on the set. Additionally, if Breloom didn't use Spore on turn 1 or your opponent has no sleeping Pokemon for some other reason, you may choose to use Breloom to quickly inflict sleep on any fast sweeper or wall.</p>

<p>This particular variant of Breloom can also make a respectable lead. 393 Speed allows Breloom to outrun lead Weavile (which cannot OHKO you with Ice Shard unless it runs Adamant) as well as the popular lead Azelf and Infernape. Even with maximum speed, Breloom cannot outspeed Aerodactyl, but it can still 2HKO it with Stone Edge or Seed Bomb as Aerodactyl Taunts on the first turn to avoid Spore.</p>

<p>Against almost any lead, and in particular ones that set up entry hazards, Spore is the best first turn play. If the lead cannot set up, or you suspect it may be holding a Lum Berry, you may choose to use a damaging attack instead. However, Spore is still the preferred move; if you have a way to deal massive damage to your opponent's lead, they will likely not stay in to take the hit.</p>

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Att -> Atk
Suicide Leads -> suicide leads

Also no spaces between periods and </p> tags.

didn't you see the platinum updates forum?!
anyway here are edits:

[SET]
name: Lead
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the frequency of suicide leads today, Lead Breloom makes a nice surprise for those using said suicide leads. The EVs listed give Jolly Choice ScarfBreloom 393 Speed, which allows Breloom to outspeed base 125s. Breloom thus out speeds the popular Azelf and Infernape suicide leads. A notable exception that Breloom is unable to outspeed is Aerodactyl; however, if you predict a Taunt, you may use Stone Edge, which will OHKO on a normal basis, though lead Aerodactyl’s generally have Focus Sash.</p>
there's no need for "breloom" in the set name; if someone is looking at the breloom analysis, they know it's a breloom set. the correct shorthand for Attack is Atk. there's no need to capitalize "suicide lead". the plurals of EV and 125 are EVs and 125s, respectively; you're not removing any letters so an apostrophe isn't needed. what is "normal basis" to mean? all the time? X% of the time?
<p>For leads, Spore is the preferred move, as it will incapacitate leads with the dreaded Sleep status. If the lead is weak to any of the above moves, you may choose to use a move instead. For instance, lead Tyranitar is OHKOed by Superpower. However, Spore is still the preferred move, as it will generally make your opponent switch. </p>
this whole section reads awkwardly. what kind of leads do you use spore on, all leads? be specific. OHKOed > OHKO'd

<p>After lead duties are done, Breloom with a Choice Scarf makes a very deadly revenge killer. 393 Speed allows Breloom to out speed base 125s, and among other things, a Dragon Danced max Speed Adamant Gyarados, and OHKOes with Stone Edge 74% of the time and 100% of the time with Stealth Rock out. Seed Bomb hurts Pokemon with a Ground-, Water-, or Rock-typing (Seed Bomb OHKOes standard Rapid Spin Starmie), and Superpower makes a dent in anything that doesn’t resist it, as well as annihilating Lucario. Additionally, if Sleep Clause is not active, you may choose to use Breloom to quickly inflict Sleep on any fast sweeper or wall. </p>
125s > 125's; OHKOes > OHKO's. use the hyphen for Rock-typing, etc. the last sentence should be omitted as these analysis are for competitive battles, and sleep clause is a standard rule.

overall, the write up is pretty decent. the organization could use some work, however. the first paragraph begins to introduce the set, but then you randomly start talking about not out speeding aerodactyl. you should put that part with the rest of the EV explanations.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Maybe you should add that you can get protection from status and a bit of healing mid- or late-game by switching to Toxic from a wall like Milotic (risky due to Ice Beam) or the rare Hippowdon.

Hhhmm, thanks again Darkie.

Made your corrections plus redid some of the sections to improve flow and organization.

Maybe you should add that you can get protection from status and a bit of healing mid- or late-game by switching to Toxic from a wall like Milotic (risky due to Ice Beam) or the rare Hippowdon.
That was what I was thinking as well, but I thought it might be a bit redundant, as that is a main use for all Breloom.

Since this Breloom set doesn't carries the comon Toxic Orb, and moves such as Toxic aren't that common, I think also Effect Spore should be considered because it has a 30% chance of inducing paralysis, poison (normal) or sleep (which I think doesn't break the sleep clause ), when Breloom is hitted, and with his resistances it can come into many attack withouth having much trouble and delivering a status affliction...

However, Poison Heal does allow it to come in on Toxic and on Toxic Spikes, something the Effect Spore one wouldn't be able to do.

Plus, this thing isn't designed to be taking hits anyway.

There's already a "Lead" set in the analysis, so why not rename this to "Choice Scarf"?

I think you should capitalize on why to use this over Hera; Spore Spore and Spore.

This is an unusual set that I had tried to submit a while ago, which was pretty effective as a fast Statuser. It was alright, but a little weak. With the advent of Platinum, Breloom gained Superpower, and I revived my efforts when Bos on Gamefaqs also started using this set. without further adieu...

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/breloom

[SET]
name: Lead
evs: 6 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the frequency of suicide leads today, Lead Breloom makes a nice surprise for those using said suicide leads. The EVs listed give Jolly Choice Scarf Breloom 393 Speed, which allows Breloom to outspeed base 125s. Breloom thus out speeds the popular Azelf and Infernape suicide leads. </p>

<p>For suicide leads and other Stealth Rock leads, or leads that setup, Spore is the optimal move. Sleep incapacitates these leads, stopping them from setting up. Should you be facing a lead that does not set up, you may choose to use a damaging attack instead. For instance, lead Tyranitar is OHKO’d by Superpower. However, Spore is still the preferred move, as it will generally make your opponent switch. Stone Edge hurts flying type leads like Gyarados and Aerodactyl. Seed Bomb is yet another option and is a reliable STAB move that will hurt any Pokemon who doesn't resist or possess high Defence.</p>

<p>After lead duties are done, Breloom with a Choice Scarf makes a very deadly revenge killer. 393 Speed allows Breloom to out speed base 125s, and among other things, a Dragon Dance max Speed Adamant Gyarados, OHKOing with Stone Edge 74% of the time and 100% of the time with Stealth Rock out. Seed Bomb, as stated above, hurts any Pokemon lacking a resist or high Defense. Superpower also harms numerous Pokemon, suitably annihilating Lucario and Normal-types. Additionally, if sleep clause has not yet been activated, you may choose to use Breloom to quickly inflict Sleep on any fast sweeper or wall.</p>
"settig up sr or setting up" sounds bad in that general area, imo the way I have it sounds nicer when read aloud

your whole aerodactyl bit was really confusing, and you resist his whole starting moveset anyways while 2hkoing with seed bomb, so seed bomb is the better choice usually anyways.

after that, you have a little grammar error followed by an unnecessary sentence about how seed bomb hurts things that are weak to it.

and then in the end, your sleep clause sentence sounds awkward, as you're trying to "sound smart" (where you use unnecessarily long words and it comes out sounding bad)

but yea i just skimmed it so if there are other errors I missed or if I myself am correcting things that are fine as is then w/e. the whole thing just sounded a bit awkward when read aloud before any changes were made.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(Seed Bomb OHKO’s standard Rapid Spin Starmie).
You actually OHKO "standard" 295 HP / 245 Def (defensive spinner) Starmie 7% of the time and the other common defensive variant, 324 HP / 216 Def, only 28% of the time.

a Dragon Dance max Speed Adamant Gyarados, and OHKOes with Stone Edge 74% of the time
359 Attack Stone Edge does a maximum of 94% to 332 HP / 194 Def Gyarados (4 HP / 0 Def) so you will, in fact, never OHKO. Where you got the 74% I have no clue.

I'm not trying to single you out, and trust me it is not solely you that is the problem, but I'm really, really tired of having to do this all the time. I'm getting tired of having to dig through everyone's analysis and correct their shit before I upload it.

If you can't figure out how to use a damn damage calculator, don't bother posting an analysis.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK! I rewrote parts of your analysis to make it sound better.
<p>With the frequency of suicide leads in OU, lead Breloom provides a great way to quickly gain control of the match by taking out one of your opponent's Pokemon and likely preventing it from setting up Stealth Rock. The EVs listed give Jolly Choice Scarf Breloom 393 Speed, which allows it to outspeed not only lead Weavile (which cannot OHKO you with Ice Shard unless it runs Adamant), but also the popular Azelf and Infernape suicide leads, preventing them from laying Stealth Rock on the first turn. Even with maximum speed, Breloom cannot outspeed Aerodactyl, but it can still 2HKO it with Stone Edge or Seed Bomb as Aerodactyl Taunts on the first turn to avoid Spore.</p>

<p>Against almost any lead, and in particular ones that set up entry Hazards, Spore is the best first turn play. If the lead cannot set up, or you suspect it may be holding Lum Berry, you may choose to use a damaging attack instead. However, Spore is still the preferred move; if you have a way to deal massive damage to your opponent's lead, they will likely not stay in to take the hit.</p>

<p>After lead duties are done, Breloom with a Choice Scarf makes a very deadly revenge killer. 393 Speed allows Breloom to outspeed Adamant Gyarados after a Dragon Dance and OHKO it with Stone Edge most of the time even without Stealth Rock. STAB Seed Bomb coming off of base 130 Attack will hurt anything that doesn't resist Grass, and will OHKO or easily 2HKO any Ground-, Water-, or Rock-type Pokemon not named Suicune. Superpower annihilates Lucario, Tyranitar, and Normal-types, and deals more damage as a neutral attack than every other move in the set. Additionally, if Breloom didn't use Spore on turn 1 or your opponent has no sleeping Pokemon for some other reason, you may choose to use Breloom to quickly inflict Sleep on any fast sweeper or wall.</p>
also cael...
If you can't figure out how to use a damn damage calculator, don't bother posting an analysis.
I would imagine that the problem comes not with the calculator but with the subsequent statistical evaluations, which aren't really intuitive at all =P

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://libelldra.com/competitive/damage/ tells you the percentage of being able to kill, so I don't really see where statistical evaluations comes into all of this

Lead Aerodactyls are sashed and Stone Edge is only 80% accurate compared to Seed Bomb's 100%, so as long as they both 2HKO, I don't really see why you'd use Stone Edge against one.

<p>After lead duties are done, Breloom with a Choice Scarf makes a very deadly revenge killer. 393 Speed allows Breloom to outspeed Adamant Gyarados after a Dragon Dance and OHKO offensive versions if they have switched into Stealth Rock. STAB Seed Bomb coming off of base 130 Attack will hurt anything that doesn't resist Grass, and will OHKO or easily 2HKO any Ground-, Water-, or Rock-type Pokemon not named Suicune. Superpower annihilates Lucario, Tyranitar, and Normal-types, and deals more damage as a neutral attack than every other move in the set. Additionally, if Breloom didn't use Spore on turn 1 or your opponent has no sleeping Pokemon for some other reason, you may choose to use Breloom to quickly inflict Sleep on any fast sweeper or wall.</p>
Bulky versions of Gyarados (Rest-talk and otherwise) are not killed by Stone Edge even after switching into SR, and 4/0 offensive Gyara is not killed without SR, but is killed 100% of the time with it.

You actually OHKO "standard" 295 HP / 245 Def (defensive spinner) Starmie 7% of the time and the other common defensive variant, 324 HP / 216 Def, only 28% of the time.

359 Attack Stone Edge does a maximum of 94% to 332 HP / 194 Def Gyarados (4 HP / 0 Def) so you will, in fact, never OHKO. Where you got the 74% I have no clue.

Sorry about that. I was doing the damage calc's for official purposes really quickly and realized that I put in the damage for Super Power by accident. I really am sorry.

And TAY, thanks for the rewrite. It sounds much better than my explanations. I appreciate it = )

should poison heal be used since its not using a toxic orb? unless you are expecting for your opponent to use toxic/toxic spikes on you

I find that Effect Spore is next to useless, as you don't want to have someone attack you. Plus Poison Heal can allow you to come in on Toxic Spikes.

should poison heal be used since its not using a toxic orb? unless you are expecting for your opponent to use toxic/toxic spikes on you
There aren't many contact moves that you'd want Breloom to be switching into, to take a 30% gamble at statusing the opponent. Off the top of my head, Night Slash and Leaf Blade seem plausible. Toxic and Toxic Spikes are much more commonplace and more practical than switching into a safe contact move.

The chance of a healing with a Choice item is always a plus.

Poison Heal, definitely.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poison Heal is pretty much always the preferred ability for Breloom, since you'll either have Toxic Orb or not be taking many hits. Toxic and Toxic Spikes aren't exactly rare, either.

STAB Seed Bomb coming off of base 130 Attack will hurt anything that doesn't resist Grass, and will OHKO or easily 2HKO any Ground, Water, or Rock-type Pokemon not named Suicune. Superpower annihilates Lucario, Tyranitar, and Normal-types, and deals more damage as a neutral attack than every other move in the set. Additionally, if Breloom didn't use Spore on turn 1 or your opponent has no sleeping Pokemon for some other reason, you may choose to use Breloom to quickly inflict sleep on any fast sweeper or wall.</p>
Status isn't capitalized, too.

Against almost any lead, and in particular ones that set up entry hazards, Spore is the best first turn play.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Katherine I am 99% positive that the dashes after "Ground" and "Water" are supposed to be there. But the rest of the stuff should be changed =P

I am also almost certain they should be there.

<p>With the frequency of suicide leads in OU, (ommited "lead") Breloom provides a great way to quickly gain control of the match by taking out one of your opponent's Pokemon and likely preventing it from setting up Stealth Rock. The EVs listed give Jolly Choice Scarf Breloom 393 Speed, which allows it to outspeed not only lead Weavile (which cannot OHKO you with Ice Shard unless it runs Adamant), but also the popular Azelf and Infernape suicide leads, preventing them from laying Stealth Rock on the first turn. Even with maximum speed, Breloom cannot outspeed Aerodactyl, but it can still 2HKO it with Stone Edge or Seed Bomb as Aerodactyl Taunts on the first turn to avoid Spore.</p>

<p>Against almost any lead, and in particular ones that set up entry hazards, Spore is the best first turn play. If the lead cannot set up, or you suspect it may be holding a Lum Berry, you may choose to use a damaging attack instead. However, Spore is still the preferred move; if you have a way to deal massive damage to your opponent's lead, they will likely not stay in to take the hit.</p>
Saying "lead" twice in the first sentence was repetitive.

"Hazards" is not capatilized.

Added and "a" for sounding better.

Overall this was very nicely written, besides the part where it says that Seed Bomb will easily OH or 2HKO any Pokemon weak to it. I honestly wouldn't put that in unless you did calculations versus all of them.

In the last paragraph, you say that Gyarados will fall to Stone Edge "most of the time", could you say something like "77% of the time" instead; for clarity issues.

Thanks

Edits have been done

Overall this was very nicely written, besides the part where it says that Seed Bomb will easily OH or 2HKO any Pokemon weak to it. I honestly wouldn't put that in unless you did calculations versus all of them.
The only other pokemon that is weak to it that will stand a chance is Hippowdon. And even he has a chance of bing 2HKOd with Stealth Rock. But I added him to avoid confusion.

And thanks to TAY for the more elegantly written analysis. Mine was slightly rough, so I appreciate it = )

Any other edits need to be done, or is this looking good?

Probabally not of much importance, but, can't this set just be called "Choice Scarf" instead of "Lead"? Just saying that most Choice Scarf users can double function as leads as well (i.e, Choice Scarf-SR Infernape, Choice Scarf-Tinted Lens Yanmega and Choice Scarf Gyarados) and this set would probabally be used of more of a revenge killer and a fast sleeper rather than an anti-lead since after Breloom gets the jump on one lead with Spore, it'll be forced to switch, anyway. Also, since no one is going to poison a Breloom and since this set won't stay it for consectutive turns to take advantage of Poison Heal, can't Effect Spore be a secondary option as the ability if not the primary ability? Even with Toxic Spikes, Breloom wouldn't be able to use Poison Heal much unless your opponent's team can't touch a Breloom stuck on one move :s. Effect Spore can get a random status on something that makes contact with it like Lucario, Jirachi and No Guard Machamp which is just as useful as being able to heal up some damage one turn before being forced to switch out.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I agree with darkerrai. Why is the set called the "lead"? Shouldn't it just be called "scarfer" or "scarfloom" with a mention of how good it is as a lead? I mean, it works just as well when it isn't a lead.

Also, poison heal is better. You don't want anything touching you. What if something uses a light priority move (uh, bp metagross?) and gets paralyzed, and you spore? Then you'd have to switch out. Also, it is much better to be immune to toxic spikes, which is helpful without resorting to a flyer or levitator which can easily compound weaknesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)