Pokémon Blaziken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Apparently Whirlwind and Roar now bypass Protect, meaning Blaziken can no longer get a free speed boost against defensive pokemon. This may not mean much at first, but considering common phazers usually resist at least one of its STABs and threaten to hit for SE damage it's worth keeping in mind.
Blaze shouldn't be coming in on something that can phaze it anyhow..... and the mon that's coming in to meet it (gira/o) really don't give a shit and phaze him while taking next to nothing.

edit: source plz <3

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but Azumarill wouldn't be a bad counter to Blaziken/Mega Blaziken. It resists both of Blaziken's stabs, with the addition of its Fairy typing (which resists Fighting), and has the bulk to take hits. On top of that, you can go Aqua Jet with Azumarill, so you don't have to give a flip about Speed Boost.

Forget this post.

Are you guys serious? This guy is is more broken than before. Azumarill is a good pokemon, but its only 1 pokemon. Every team is going to have to run one in fear of SD Blaziken... Then it turns into a BP Blaziken who laughs at Azumarill. Azumarill CHECKS 1 set of Blaziken. No pokemon in the game counters BP + Speed Boost with stupid high attacking stats and amazing typing.

Are you guys serious? This guy is is more broken than before. Azumarill is a good pokemon, but its only 1 pokemon. Every team is going to have to run one in fear of SD Blaziken... Then it turns into a BP Blaziken who laughs at Azumarill. Azumarill CHECKS 1 set of Blaziken. No pokemon in the game counters BP + Speed Boost with stupid high attacking stats and amazing typing.
Then you realise Blaziken faints to basically any neutral or higher attack coming from any decently strong pokemon, and anyone stupid enough to switch when it is obviously going to SD deserves to get sweeped.

Talonflame, resists both STABs and can 1hko with flying priority.

Then you realise Blaziken faints to basically any neutral or higher attack coming from any decently strong pokemon, and anyone stupid enough to switch when it is obviously going to SD deserves to get sweeped.
Then does that mean you lost a pokemon? You're saying i'm going to keep my metagross in against a blaziken to get blasted in the face in the fear of SD?

Seriously you yourself showed why this guy isnt going to remain OU for long.

Edit: oh hey guys im going to run a pokemon thats 4x weak to rock just to counter blaziken.

In this thread, blaziken is already forcing you guys to use crappy pokemon. This guy is the type of pokemon that forms the meta around itself.

Gyarados's got it, too, especially with Intimidate, though... I guess maybe if Blaze carries TPunch for some reason?
E: ohhh, it's first slash in the new moveset. my mistake, nevermind. talonflame looks like it could at least revenge quite handily, however.

Then does that mean you lost a pokemon? You're saying i'm going to keep my metagross in against a blaziken to get blasted in the face in the fear of SD?

The other Person is almost definitely going to predict you switching out and go for SD, MEtagross then Ko's with Earthquake. True, it is a gamble based on prediction, but so is the rest of pokemon anyway.

Prediction is glorified guesswork. Let's not understate the power of Blaziken based on the assumption that you'll guess right every time. Heck, Blaziken in 5th Gen could have been beaten if you predicted right every time, but it was still very broken and banned from OU and later DW OU.

Prediction is glorified guesswork. Let's not understate the power of Blaziken based on the assumption that you'll guess right every time. Blaziken in 5th Gen could have been beaten if you predicted right every time, but it was still banned in OU and later DW OU.
The Entirety of competitive pokemon is a glorified combination guesswork and luck in a huge amount of ways.

Edit: oh hey guys im going to run a pokemon thats 4x weak to rock just to counter blaziken.

In this thread, blaziken is already forcing you guys to use crappy pokemon. This guy is the type of pokemon that forms the meta around itself.
Talonflame is all but crappy!

LOLOLOLOL.

Talonflame has PRIORITY Brave Bird, that alone makes it a great. It is basically a physical Moltres with a 120 STAB priority, please to Arceus explain how that is bad.

Also, FEW pokemon are really all that bad, some might be overshadowed, but that is different then being bad. Look at Slowbro and Crobat, laughs at most of the OU tier, yet is considered UU. Liepard makes you pull your hair out and drives you up the wall as the most annoying pokemon ever, yet it is NU.

Have you even played lately?
Talonflame is everywhere and makes the life of lots of Pokemon a nightmare, Blaziken included, priority on a move with 180 BP just destroys sweepers.
With the new Defog* rocks are not even a problem.

*thanks PKMN1

Talonflame is great... switch it in against Blaziken, watch it run away screaming to a Tyranitar, but... oh wait! I used Will-o-wisp on the switch and now Tyranitar is burned! :D

The Entirety of competitive pokemon is a glorified combination guesswork and luck in a huge amount of ways.
To be honest, if you're relying on guesswork in your decisions rather than making choices based on an analysis of risk and reward, you're doing something wrong.

Anyhow, Blaziken does have a few more checks now (Talonflame is amazing), but having Baton Pass just adds a whole other dimension to it. Blaziken is already a phenomenal sweeper. It's not hard to force switches with its powerful STABs and set up a Swords Dance (or just attack outright), and a couple of Speed Boosts makes it nearly impossible to outspeed Blaziken without priority. However, Baton Pass is the real killer, the greatest reason it was banned from Dream World OU. Now Blaziken can not only potentially sweep with Atk and Spe boosts, but it can turn around and pass those boosts to something else and let them sweep. I think it's certainly possible that the new pressures of XY (Sticky Web, Talonflame, Fairy/Water Azumarill, etc.) might keep Blaziken from being broken this time around, but Baton Pass just makes it that much better.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dragon Tail / Roar RestTalk Gyarados (which got buffed with the Sleep nerf and Defog to help with SR) and Dragon Tail physically defensive Slowking are two other very good checks that i haven't seen brought up in this thread. They check both sweeping and baton passing variants pretty well, as long as Blaziken lacks ThunderPunch. And yeah, i don't see Blaziken being that hard to revenge kill as between Flare Blitz recoil and strong priority users, such as Shadow Sneak Aegislash, Vacuum Wave Mega Lucario, Extremespeed LO Lucario, Gale Wings Talonflame, Aqua Jet Azumarill, and even Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack, it will go down pretty fast. Still, the Baton Pass set is going to be an amazing set as with just one free turn it can potentially end games with the right receiver.

Dragon Tail / Roar RestTalk Gyarados (which got buffed with the Sleep nerf and Defog to help with SR) and Dragon Tail physically defensive Slowking are two other very good checks that i haven't seen brought up in this thread. They check both sweeping and baton passing variants pretty well, as long as Blaziken lacks ThunderPunch. And yeah, i don't see Blaziken being that hard to revenge kill as between Flare Blitz recoil and strong priority users, such as Shadow Sneak Aegislash, Vacuum Wave Mega Lucario, Extremespeed LO Lucario, Gale Wings Talonflame, Aqua Jet Azumarill, and even Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack, it will go down pretty fast. Still, the Baton Pass set is going to be an amazing set as with just one free turn it can potentially end games with the right receiver.
Still, it's worth noting that Mega Blaziken won't kill itself as fast because of not needing LO.

Are people actually entraining the idea that blaziken has a place in anything under Uber? The metagame would be terrible until the point at which he would be banned. I hope he is starting out Uber, and after months of suspect, with a very slim chance perhaps he can move down to OU (which wont happen unless we we find a new type of entry hazard that only affects blaziken does does 90% of his HP on a switch in)

And no, there are no true counters to this pokemon. There are only situational counters for different variants of blaziken, which makes this pokemon even more toxic to the game. Your team will need to pack several blaziken counters, and then the meta game would just turn into "who can keep their blaziken alive the longest."

Adamant/Jolly Nature
128 ATK 128 Speed 252 SpD

Bulk Up
Flare Blitz
Power Up Punch
Thunderpunch/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Protect
Item: Blazikenite
Tell me if this looks stupid. Thought it might be doable with Mega Blaziken's slightly boosted defenses. Switch in on something you scare away, Bulk Up/Mega on the switch, the Power Up Punch the switch in, then sweep, grabbing attack/defense/speed boosts as you go. =D

Are people actually entraining the idea that blaziken has a place in anything under Uber? The metagame would be terrible until the point at which he would be banned. I hope he is starting out Uber, and after months of suspect, with a very slim chance perhaps he can move down to OU (which wont happen unless we we find a new type of entry hazard that only affects blaziken does does 90% of his HP on a switch in)

And no, there are no true counters to this pokemon. There are only situational counters for different variants of blaziken, which makes this pokemon even more toxic to the game. Your team will need to pack several blaziken counters, and then the meta game would just turn into "who can keep their blaziken alive the longest."
We didn't carry over non-BST bans when we started Gen 5, and there's no reason to do things differently. Every Pokemon needs a fair shot - I'm sure if you told any Gen 4 player that Mew and Wobbuffet would be UU in Gen 5, they'd laugh at you, but unexpected things can happen.

Do I think Blaziken is likely to end up OU? Nah. But it can't hurt to give him a shot. We've got a perfect chance right now, actually. For the next two months, the only metagame we could justifiably set as standard is 454, which takes a ton of controversial stuff out of the way, including basically all the legends. We don't have much in the way of obvious suspects to look at in the meantime - there's Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and... Yveltal, if we really get bored? It's not the most fair of tests, given how much the metagame will change, but we can get a good idea of if the currently available suspects might actually need a second chance later by looking at them now.

Yeah......the way I saw it, the main reason Blaziken was an Uber last Gen was because of Speed Boost, all that other stuff aside.

Not only does he STILL have Speed Boost, but his Mega Evolution makes him even stronger and faster than before. So what about all of the nerfs? M-Blaziken will probably still end up banished to the Uber listings. On the upside, even if he's considered an Uber here, that won't stop me from being able to spam him in the Battle Facilities!

:pimp:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)