Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

whats the best rhydon ev spread?
A spread with nearly max Special defense (252Hp/20Atk/240sdef adamant) gives it a lot of bulk all around and a chance to like Sigilyph LO Energy Ball while still countering Archeops (even Earth Power variants).
I guess last gen's spread can work as well if it hits relevant benchmarks in the current meta. Finally a spread of 48 Atk / 248 HP / 108 Def / 104 SDef Adamant always survives Adamant CB Sawk CC after Rocks and koes back with EQ

Last gen, Vileplume was considered inferior to Roselia, mainly because Roselia had excess to Spikes and similar bulk with Eviolite.

So... what turned the table? I guess Knock Off, but are there any other reasons?

Is there any dragons worth using besides skrelps evo? (Cant spell the name correctly lol)
There are a couple. Altaria is viable, but its outclassed by Dragalge, so its best used along with Dragalge for Dragon Spam. Fraxure, Dragonair, and Shelgon are decent Dragon Dancers, the latter two are defensive and the former is offensive.

Last gen, Vileplume was considered inferior to Roselia, mainly because Roselia had excess to Spikes and similar bulk with Eviolite.

So... what turned the table? I guess Knock Off, but are there any other reasons?
Another reason may be the buff in its special attack making Vileplume a tad bit more powerful than Roselia. Also, since most Fighting-Types are running Knock Off to cover ghosts, most likely they aren't running Ice Punch anymore, making Vileplume more viable in the tier.

Why do people like Fletchinder? For some reason I don't see its value I need explanation as to why it is even worth using.

I use fletchinder in RU and UU where it's pretty great, so I guess I can give an explanation of its general use.

It's really great at sweeping weakened teams because it has the strongest priority move in the tier, wins sucker punch mindgames with WoW and priority roost, and wears down its rock/steel type counters with a wow when they switch-in. Its SR weakness isn't honestly too big of an issue for it given priority recovery and only ever attacking with priority. It can generally scare out more frail threats to find time to SD or roost on them.

I generally run it on HO teams because it seriously fucks over opposing HO teams while still having a use against more balanced teams, but I know people like FLCL have run it on semi-stall to take advantage of its ability to sweep once its checks and counters have been worn down.

I mean you look at the burd and see absolutely terrible stats and typing but it's fine because gale wings is a broken af ability which turns it into a great mon.

The reason i consider Vileplume to be supreme in gen 6 Nu, is because of the current meta, Due to its typing and decent Physical bulk It walls and check significant number of common physical threats. It is not dependent on eviolite like Roselia,as you mentioned without which it gets handicapped. The second reason for Roselia's Failure are the large number strong special attackers in the meta(Magmortar,Pyroar,Typhlosion,Sigilpyl,Cryogonal,Rotom-Fan,Jynx) out of which at least one is in a team,due to which it cannot perform its role efficiently. it usually gets 2hkoed with most of their stabs and doesnt get ample amout of turns to lay spikes.It is getting tough competetion from Accelgor which is a Fast suicide spiker,Qwilfish(which walls top threat feraligatr)and Quiladin(It has Insane Physical bulk and a cool ability-bulletproof) being immune to ball and bomb moves it can switch to vileplume,which is very common in meta and set up spikes.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why do people like Fletchinder? For some reason I don't see its value I need explanation as to why it is even worth using.
Gale Wings makes sure that Fletchinder is difficult to revenge kill once it gets its late-game sweep going. Also Will-O-Wisp wears down Rock- and Steel-type switch-ins. It's like BW Drifblim with Swords Dance. Also it's a nice emergency check to stuff like Ludicolo, Sceptile, and Jynx.

Does Wigglytuff's new fairy typing do anything for it, or is it forever E-rank in the lowest tier?
We have better defensive Fairies in Granbull and Togetic, and better Wish passers in Audino. Fairy typing honestly didn't do much for Wigglytuff, so yeah it'll probably still suck until someone makes it work which I doubt will happen :(

Maybe. But who cares? The beauty of Pokemon is that you have so many options open for you to choose. And who know, you may just find a diamond in the rough. :]
Yay! I ask because Lopunny and Aurorus are down there, and while their cons are glaring, I like to find new and successful ways to use them.

I'm guessing because people are itching for a Talonflame that is legal in lower tiers. And Fletchinder is the one.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Will I be laughed out of the NU club for sampling some D-rank mons?
no but most mons in d-rank are d-rank because they either suck or they're outclassed. the trick is to find a niche that no other pokemon in the tier can do as well (but make sure the niche is actually useful). using dusclops bcos OMG BULK doesn't count as a niche, for example. using camerupt as a check to fire-spam + other random stuff does count. stuff like marowak on a sticky web team also counts; it's d-rank because it needs that support but if you can give it the support it can work.

no but most mons in d-rank are d-rank because they either suck or they're outclassed. the trick is to find a niche that no other pokemon in the tier can do as well (but make sure the niche is actually useful). using dusclops bcos OMG BULK doesn't count as a niche, for example. using camerupt as a check to fire-spam + other random stuff does count. stuff like marowak on a sticky web team also counts; it's d-rank because it needs that support but if you can give it the support it can work.
I'll take that to heart. Sometimes it sucks to see your favorite pokemon on the verge of being placed in the unofficial PU tier. But I'm sure good team composition can help, like you said. Also, a lot of people like the challenge.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Cryogonal and Sandslash are the best for spinning. Defoging is done by Shiftry, Togetic, Mantine and Pelipper. There's not much else that does it okay, Torkoal and Armaldo are outclassed as spinners.

For gatr time (swords dance aqua jet feraligatr), is there an optimal ev spread? I usually run max speed and max attack, but is bulk worth it?

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
For gatr time (swords dance aqua jet feraligatr), is there an optimal ev spread? I usually run max speed and max attack, but is bulk worth it?
If I recall correctly, max hp over max speed let you live a giga drain from vileplume so you can SD again if it switches in for the ohko while putting you in torrent range. 252 speed is better for the DD set, but I'd recoment 252 hp for SD.

If I recall correctly, max hp over max speed let you live a giga drain from vileplume so you can SD again if it switches in for the ohko while putting you in torrent range. 252 speed is better for the DD set, but I'd recoment 252 hp for SD.
196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant

This IMO is the most optimal spread for Gatr. It still lives Vileplume's Giga Drain and it doesn't lose any significant bulk from 252 HP [Lives every strong attack that 252 does], but can outspeed base 85 pokemon such as Qwilfish, Magmortar, and Articuno so that you do not have to rely on Aqua Jet constantly.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant

This IMO is the most optimal spread for Gatr. It still lives Vileplume's Giga Drain and it doesn't lose any significant bulk from 252 HP [Lives every strong attack that 252 does], but can outspeed base 85 pokemon such as Qwilfish, Magmortar, and Articuno so that you do not have to rely on Aqua Jet constantly.
Shouldn't most base 85 Speed Pokemon run Speed investment anyway, meaning Gatr can't outrun them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)