Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. Since most priority users can't switch safely into a Terrakion, you may be able to grab both a Substitute and a Swords Dance boost depending on what Terrakion checks the opponent is using.
The other main candidate for setup is Pokemon such as Scarf Landorus/Infernape locked into Hidden Power Ice. Particularly in Sandstorm, they may not be able to break the Sub even if they stay in, and since they can both serve as Terrakion checks themselves, you can potentially force them to give you minimum 2 free turns before they can get back in.

If sand is up, +0 Genesect locked into a neutral move isn't TOO bad, although it's more of a clutch thing since you'll still take a chunk. Best if Genesect is important to check something else you have so the opponent cannot really afford to risk it.

If sand is up, +0 Genesect locked into a neutral move isn't TOO bad, although it's more of a clutch thing since you'll still take a chunk. Best if Genesect is important to check something else you have so the opponent cannot really afford to risk it.
Honkalculator must be tripping balls, because these are the calculations I got for +1 Genesect with maximum EV investment with a + Speed nature on your typical 4HP Terrakion:

In sandstorm
Ice Beam: 107-127 (33.02 - 39.19%) -- 99.98% chance to 3HKO

Weatherless
Ice Beam: 160-189 (49.38 - 58.33%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO

IF that is correct, then Genesect can't really 'check' Terrakion; although Terrakion can't really switch into or set up on it either.

While we're on this topic, what makes a good one-two-punch with Terrakion? I like Keldeo, but Hydro Pump's 80% accuracy really irks me off.

While we're on this topic, what makes a good one-two-punch with Terrakion? I like Keldeo, but Hydro Pump's 80% accuracy really irks me off.

If you have CB tera and SD chomp or vica-versa that is a pretty good combo; Mence likes choice scarf terrakion killing lati@s, opposing terrakion, opposing mence, some chlorophyll abusers and dragonite.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
nah facefaceface, those calcs are correct. terrakion has natural 91/90/90 bulk which is really not bad for taking a neutral hit or two. sand just makes genesect's life even harder. either way genesect is not a wise way to take terrakion out.

really though this doesn't matter a heck of a lot; LO rak's cc deals minimum 93% (approx 5/8th chance of OHKO) to 0/0 genesect and is a guaranteed KO on hasty variants, so genesect gets at most one hit in (very unlikely since SR will knocked it into kill range) and then dies immediately afterwards

I need a very specific niche to fill, hopefully y'all can help me. I'm working on my new Trick Room team and am having massive troubles with Breloom. I need a Pokemon that has the following:

1) Can take a +2 anything from Breloom and OHKO back (Can switch in on SD after something gets Spored)
2) Has decently low speed (base 80 or lower preferred)
3) Is not useless when Trick Room is up (Can abuse well). This can certainly be a Setup Sweeper
4) Must counter Breloom (when sleep clause is active) with Trick Room up or down
5) Preferably mixed or physical

Access to priority is a bonus.

Currently using a Sleep Talk Heracross with not the best results. Possibly trying Scizor next.

alkinesthetase

there are relatively few things that can take a +2 anything from breloom AND ohko back, as that's an extremely polarizing definition of a counter and such things are rare for a powerhouse like techniloom - otherwise breloom would not be as popular as it is right now lol. your best bet is probably something like psyshock celebi, but its speed tier is not ideal for TR play, and moreover you're going to NEED a bulky set if you want to stand a chance against a boosted breloom, meaning you won't have much punch.

offensive dnite with multiscale active can go against any loom that lacks stone edge, so that's also an option. most looms that carry edge are either CB or spore+3 (no room for SD) so they can't hit you with a fully boosted edge, and you should be able to take it with fire blast or a strong dragon move. these are pretty much the only things i can think of that suit your situation, as most of the most solid loom counters (eg amoonguss) are really useless offensively lol

I have a few questions on the Amoongus/Heatran/Slowbro core.

Would this core work in a weather team?
What are good teammates for this core?
Which spinner would be best to compliment it?

1) Can take a +2 anything from Breloom and OHKO back (Can switch in on SD after something gets Spored)
2) Has decently low speed (base 80 or lower preferred)
3) Is not useless when Trick Room is up (Can abuse well). This can certainly be a Setup Sweeper
4) Must counter Breloom (when sleep clause is active) with Trick Room up or down
5) Preferably mixed or physical
Amoonguss:

1) HP Flying OHKOes. Clear Smog deals well over 60% damage with only 28 SPA EVs and lol fuck u boosts, pretty sure Sludge Bomb is an OHKO with investment too.

2) base 20 speed

3) Can use Growth if your team has sun, else just spam Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain / Seed Bomb

4) Physically defensive Amoonguss can survive 4 rounds of sleep unless Breeloom gets a crit. Quad resists Bullet Seed, resists Mach Punch

5) 85 on both offensive stats, can use STAB Seed Bomb.

I guess you prioritize "countering breeloom" to "having offensive pressence".

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
xHeadHonchkrow - you can try signing up for Battle 101 (new round starts on the 18th). Alternatively you can join #pokemon to chat about some creative team OU ideas.

G-von - Yes, Kyurem-B will very soon be suspect tested in OU. Its lack of stat-boosting moves and bad physical coverage moves, combined with its exploitable Rock-, Fighting-, Dragon-, and Steel-type weaknesses have made us believe that it is OU material.

Does anyone know if we can obtain Gible with Rough Skin ability yet? I don't see it listed among the dream world areas on serebii.

Edit: Nvm, so it's in Icy Cave.

I recently received a Bold Tornadus-T from the Dream Radar. Personally, I'm utterly hopeless when it comes to EV spreads, so would anyone be able to recommend a spread/moveset to make the ability viable?

alkinesthetase

erm.... sorry, there's no way to make a bold tornadus-T viable >_> sucks, but you'll have to find another one. the only good tornadus-Ts are the ones with speed boosting natures - pretty much always timid, naive or hasty (since tornadus's main moves are special). you could get away with the -attack fine, but the fact that the nature is not +speed will REALLY hurt in competitive play, since really the biggest draw of tornadus-T is its big speed (regenerator being a very close second =P)

EDIT:
I have a few questions on the Amoongus/Heatran/Slowbro core.

Would this core work in a weather team?
What are good teammates for this core?
Which spinner would be best to compliment it?
would it work on weather: oh hell yes, although sand is generally the weather that suits it best. sun doesn't synergize very well with amoonguss or slowbro, and rain doesn't generally need either of them when it has tougher stuff like ferrothorn. weatherless and sand are the best places for bromoongutran. bromoonguss works very well on sand in general.

good teammates - above all else, a solid ground resist. two members neutral, one 4x weak, is not a good way to play. there are like a bajillion options in that category =P choose one based on your team

best spinner - tough to say. with 3 members of the team already taken, it's tough to find a spinner that can retain defensive synergy. claydol is a levitating spinner so it can fill the role of ground resistance, but you start to get issues with uturn from running twin psychics; moreover claydol is pretty shitty in OU (it basically offers nothing but spin, in all other respects it's pretty crap). other spinners like starmie or tentacruel risk type stacking with slowbro, and tentacruel increases your ground weakness and brings in a psychic weakness. donphan is a good physically bulky option in general since the core fares okay against rain, which is where donphan tends to go down the drain (heh pun was unintentional). forretress can work well in many teams, and i can't see a ton of problems with running it along side bromoongutran. really though, this choice, like the previous one, will be mostly dependent on the rest of your team as a whole (ie the other 3 mons together).

If any combination of IVs and Power Items is available (Everstone on female necessary), what is the best way of breeding for Hidden Power Ice?

I've seen people discussing it and I just don't get it: why are people talking about testing Kyurem-B in OU?
PO's legitimised Kyurem-B as OU quite a while ago. It was rather lackluster, to be honest. No effective way of damaging steels, and still can't take a hit from CBzor, Kion and co. Can't do much with SR up and that 97 base speed, to be honest.
Banded adamant Outrage is devastatingly cool, though; OHKOing a shit tonne of things.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh, damn, thanks for that. Second question, how can I reset my Dream Radar file? Possibly not supposed to go here, but I'm not really sure where else.
If you want to receive Tornadus again, there's no way to do it without restarting your game. However, if you get DR Landorus, you can use the mirror to transform a Tornadus from Black, which might be easier.

For the current metagame, will I have to get BW2 to practice on? (I like to have an actual cartridge to practice on; that way I can play when I'm away from a computer.) I currently have White version.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For the current metagame, will I have to get BW2 to practice on? (I like to have an actual cartridge to practice on; that way I can play when I'm away from a computer.) I currently have White version.
BW1 can play against BW2 perfectly fine, so the only problem is the new formes - you obviously can't use any of them yourself, and if your opponent does then it will appear as the original version to you.

would it work on weather: oh hell yes, although sand is generally the weather that suits it best. sun doesn't synergize very well with amoonguss or slowbro, and rain doesn't generally need either of them when it has tougher stuff like ferrothorn. weatherless and sand are the best places for bromoongutran. bromoonguss works very well on sand in general. good teammates - above all else, a solid ground resist. two members neutral, one 4x weak, is not a good way to play. there are like a bajillion options in that category =P choose one based on your team

best spinner - tough to say. with 3 members of the team already taken, it's tough to find a spinner that can retain defensive synergy. claydol is a levitating spinner so it can fill the role of ground resistance, but you start to get issues with uturn from running twin psychics; moreover claydol is pretty shitty in OU (it basically offers nothing but spin, in all other respects it's pretty crap). other spinners like starmie or tentacruel risk type stacking with slowbro, and tentacruel increases your ground weakness and brings in a psychic weakness. donphan is a good physically bulky option in general since the core fares okay against rain, which is where donphan tends to go down the drain (heh pun was unintentional). forretress can work well in many teams, and i can't see a ton of problems with running it along side bromoongutran. really though, this choice, like the previous one, will be mostly dependent on the rest of your team as a whole (ie the other 3 mons together).
So would Would Heatran / Amoonguss / Slowbro / Landorus-T / Forretress / Tyranitar work?

I need help with adding a pokemon on my team
I have a hydregion who is naive mixed attacker
Forrestress for defensive purposes and volt switch
Cloyster as my main attacker
terrakion with adamant with 31 IV attack and 30 IV speed

I'm stuck between Metagross and reuniclus

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would advocate for landorus-I over therian, because it can give you some much needed offensive "presence" more than scarfed tyranitar. Slowbro already takes every physical hit in the game.

A question of my own: is it viable to run scizor and genesect n the same team with proper support, ie heatran or such?

Definitely. I wouldn't advise using both Band and Scarf, since they're a little redundant together, but something like Band Scizor and Ebelt Genesect ought to give Genesect plenty of download boosts off things like Skarmory, while Scizor can help pick off the faster Pokemon that Genesect can't deal with. Something in reverse is also possible i guess with SD Scizor and Scarf Gene, but that's more redundant and honestly IMO Scarf is a waste on Genesect... being able to switch moves is huge on a Pokemon with such a great movepool.

I'm not sure Heatran is the best pick to accompany them though - they don't really stack weaknesses but you're stacking a ton of resists which is nice when you face a Dragon but less nice when you find half your team is mauled by strong water moves... yeah, the ones it's kind vital you can switch into. I'd advise some sort of CM Keldeo - it can set up easily versus Heatran, Skarmory etc - Pokemon Genezor attract - and from there it's an extremely potent sweeper - especially when the opposing team happens to have been weakened by our favourite prehistoric insectoid. It still resists fire, but also water, cramming a very important resist into the offensive core, and its own Grass and Psychic weaknesses are easily covered but the two steels. Scizor can also handily trap the Lati twins, who give Keldeo a tough time, and both U-turners are a strong deterrent to Celebi - another Keldeo check.

From there i'd look at something like Jolteon or Thundrus for Electric and Flying coverage, but I won't go into details because I'm pretty sure you don't need me to build the team for you :P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)