Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm more just questioning if competitive is actually sustainable when it needs this many bans (with more forthcoming) just to be remotely playable and fun.
I don't really understand this point. So what if you need to ban even 45 Pokémon to achieve a stable metagame? Gamefreak provides us with 600+ Pokemon at any given moment so banning 20 so the overall playability is vastly improved is a non issue, at least to me and I only assume the council as well.

I'm more just questioning if competitive is actually sustainable when it needs this many bans (with more forthcoming) just to be remotely playable and fun.
I mean, this whole site is structured around competitive singles Pokemon. We're not going have one bad generation (and it's not like it's unplayable--it's not my thing but it's not like its an objectively bad metagame [now, i might have said differently before gliscor was banned lol]) and say "welp, gg, time to pack up" and we all move to VGC and call it good.

Also, like, there's plenty of Pokemon to choose from lol. The entire UU tier is full of Pokemon that could be OU in a different metagame. Fully evolved Pokemon aren't even making the cut to stay ZU. We're fine.

If you think it's unsustainable, what do you suggest?

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
I don't really understand this point. So what if you need to ban even 45 Pokémon to achieve a stable metagame? Gamefreak provides us with 600+ Pokemon at any given moment so banning 20 so the overall playability is vastly improved is a non issue, at least to me and I only assume the council as well.
If we need to ban an entire second MODERN OU, id say thats too far and we fucked up somewhere. have to specify because some fuckwit will say "oh but gen wun ou had 13 mons!"

REST IN PISS REQS GIVER 5000
Well, the Unburden Speed Demon is now gone. I suppose Rilla is gonna drop in some usage and/or peeps will try to replace Sneasler with some other cheese strat.
Nah, Rillaboom is going nowhere. Grassy Glide even post-nerf is insane on the Choice Band sets and a lot of stuff like the tier's many Steel types really love Grassy Terrain being everywhere. It's just not going to be an instawin 50/50 cheese enabler anymore.

If we need to ban an entire second MODERN OU, id say thats too far and we fucked up somewhere. have to specify because some fuckwit will say "oh but gen wun ou had 13 mons!"
I need to know how Smogon would have fucked up in this case. I know you generally post dumb shit in this thread, so i'm not expecting any kind of smart response, but still. Let alone the fact that the number of bans can also be attributed to the tiering system itself not being an awfully run shitstorm that produced stuff like Aldaron's Proposal and suspect tests taking a month+ each often times lol (fun fact: Salamence being suspect tested was talked about for at least a year from what I can tell, thats how bad the system could be back then)

Last edited:

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
I was using Tornadus-Therian with Choice Scarf and Air Slash to counter Sneasler and/or Rillaboom, but, now, with Sneasler banned, I wonder just how useful this set will be. It definitely has a lot of potential as you can just 30% flinch yourself to victory (especially after setting hazards up).

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
I need to know how Smogon would have fucked up in this case. I know you generally post dumb shit in this thread, so i'm not expecting any kind of smart response, but still. Let alone the fact that the number of bans can also be attributed to the tiering system itself not being an awfully run shitstorm that produced stuff like Aldaron's Proposal and suspect tests taking a month+ each often times lol
They would have fucked up by making an entire tiers worth just banned. Even now i still wonder how much shit would actually be broken if bans were much more sparse. Freedom Cup was a failure because it unbanned evasion and other indisputable ills, thus messing up what couldve been a weirdly balanced meta.
Well, the Unburden Speed Demon is now gone. I suppose Rilla is gonna drop in some usage and/or peeps will try to replace Sneasler with some other cheese strat.
Am busy looking for other unburden mons to exploit. Cant wait until sceptile can abuse grassy seed super stab grass and 19th tera blast.

They would have fucked up by making an entire tiers worth just banned. Even now i still wonder how much shit would actually be broken if bans were much more sparse. Freedom Cup was a failure because it unbanned evasion and other indisputable ills, thus messing up what couldve been a weirdly balanced meta.
Damn you didn't disappoint with saying something dumb again lol. So, I gotta know, what actually is the threshold that would be set for a "weirdly balanced meta"? The best example we have of this is Gen 2 Snorlax, where is absolutely busted and broken as fuck, but it's presence helps the tier feel better to play for those that do play it because it's so customizable and good and heps keep other stuff in check. Now, can you actually point to what things banned in gen 9 actually would help contribute to this kind of dynamic? And before you bleat out Gliscor, people wanted that gone because they hated what it was doing to the meta, so can't say that

Last edited:
Gholdengo couldn't bribe the council enough to delay his turn with a Sneasler suspect instead of a QB.

Real talk even if Dire Claw can be separated from Sneasler in future Gens by un-signature-moving, I doubt this thing is gonna be balanced in a Gen that continues to have easy Terrain access. It's basically Hawlucha on Crack if the Crack was on Heroin, and Unburden Strats were enough to keep that RU-at-best statline an OU staple for one Gen and a hard UUBL the next. Meanwhile he's a Mon that arguably was already a strong OU in one of the most Power-crept gens so far BEFORE the Grassy Seed sets took off.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Damn you didn't disappoint with saying something dumb again lol. So, I gotta know, what actually is the threshold that would be set for a "weirdly balanced meta"? The best example we have of this is Gen 2 Snorlax, where is absolutely busted and broken as fuck, but it's presence helps the tier feel better to play for those that do play it because it's so customizable and good and heps keep other stuff in check. Now, can you actually point to what things banned in gen 9 actually would help contribute to this? And before you bleat out Gliscor, people wanted that gone because they hated what it was doing to the meta, so can't say that
Ghold and Volc. Their defensive utility is, or was, much appreciated, and like G2Lax, they had offensive potential as well.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor

Am busy looking for other unburden mons to exploit. Cant wait until sceptile can abuse grassy seed super stab grass and 19th tera blast.
The way you're explaining this makes it seem like you're not mad about the fact that specific Pokemon were banned, but more of the fact that we just are able to ban Pokemon at all.

If you are dissapointed with the amount of bans, make your case why specific ones would be balanced in the metagame

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
at best its a good check to iron valiant and we still have plenty of those running around, one of them is even used on 1/3 of all teams. there wasnt much standout defensive utility volcarona had, really
This isn't very true at all

Volcarona functionned as a great Gholdengo Check, as well as Flame Body being an incredible punish against a ton of physical attackers.

Hell it even checked Kingambit when it ran physdef sets, nowadays it'd be great checks for both Zamazenta (without Stone Edge) and Rillaboom.

Will-O-Wisp sets were great on Volc as well, it didn't uniquely function as a setup sweeper.

Ghold and Volc. Their defensive utility is, or was, much appreciated, and like G2Lax, they had offensive potential as well.
ah yes, volcarona, well known for its many defensive roles, such as:
  • setup sweeper
  • setup sweeper
  • setup sweeper pretending it can do utility things
  • specs wallbreaker just kidding, no one uses that shit
Will-O-Wisp sets were great on Volc as well, it didn't uniquely function as a setup sweeper.
even the wisp sets ran quiver dance, volc is never not a setup sweeper in this gen

Freedom Cup was a failure because it unbanned evasion and other indisputable ills, thus messing up what couldve been a weirdly balanced meta.
freedom cup was a failure because it was fundamentally, at its core, unbalanceable. metas where bans aren't allowed always devolve into the same ultra-centralized tripe, so there's no long-term interest in them, aside from the official formats (which are crap), ag (which is crap but at least it's fun crap), and natdex ag (which has tera shedinja). it's the same reason that oubl could never work but uubers is a genuine possibility—at first glance the concepts are the same, but oubl is impossible to balance because if you tried you'd eventually end up with the exact same banlist as regular ou

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
ah yes, volcarona, well known for its many defensive roles, such as:
  • setup sweeper
  • setup sweeper
  • setup sweeper pretending it can do utility things
  • specs wallbreaker just kidding, no one uses that shit

even the wisp sets ran quiver dance, volc is never not a setup sweeper in this gen
A setup sweeper can have defensive utility, they are not mutually exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)