Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sneasler rn:
1700367943626.png

All joking aside, while it's still a little early for it, I've been thinking about how different mons could use Tera Blast for the upcoming Tera type. It sounds... fun... :worrywhirl:

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
tbf hoopa already punches nukes into stall with just its stabs alone. what im worried about mostly is band/ ddance dragapult getting unresisted physical STAB to spam. not even gambit can stop it now
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Electric Dragapult: 297-351 (93.6 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tera Electric Dragapult Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 117-138 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Did T-Elec because thats both neutral v steel and takes neutral from dark. Plus three is required to ohko. Plus one, two even pult could whip up, but three?

Teh

the saint
is a Pre-Contributor
don't make me pull up another "pokemon at computer" meme
Do your worst. You may laugh and mock me now, but once this day becomes a distant memory my takes will be remembered as some of the greatest and most revolutionary to be bestowed upon this god-forsaken thread. Historians will compare my mind to the likes of Aristotle and Socrates. Compared to me you are nothing but a tiny bug.

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Electric Dragapult: 297-351 (93.6 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tera Electric Dragapult Tera Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 117-138 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Did T-Elec because thats both neutral v steel and takes neutral from dark. Plus three is required to ohko. Plus one, two even pult could whip up, but three?
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Electric Dragapult Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 174-205 (43 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
this isnt 1v1 just switch out for the 2hit kill later also sucker aint killing even with all your teammates dead

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
To take the debate away from sneasler/ghold for a second, what are everyone's thoughts on Blaziken coming back? Saw the question in the Office Hours (where you, yes you, can talk to the REAL LIVE FINCHINATOR) about (THE REAL LIVE) Finchinator's opinion on Blaziken in a Tera meta and it got me thinking. With Speed Boost, Swords Dance, an immaculate offensive type combination, and now Tera to boost its coverage, it certainly sounds excellent, maybe even broken, but powercreep could also finally catch up to it. What do you think?
I could be wrong about blaziken, but I think it's gonna be less successful than we're expecting for a few reasons.

Even with speed boost, the problem is that booster energy has catapulted the speed of HO teams to be insanely high at over 500+ speeds.
Adamant max speed blaziken is hitting 259 speed, and after 2 speed boosts, it hits 518. Booster Energy Iron Moth sits at 525, and BE Ival is 546. What this means is that you need to be SD+Stabs+protect to ever realistically outspeed standard speed control in the meta, which is a pretty big constraint. Or you need to go jolly which is a big drop in power (and you still need to get 2 speed boosts).

The value of defensive tera is also drastically reduced when your best stabs, flare blitz and close combat, all cut your survivability heavily and open you up to powerful and common priority like rillaboom and kingambit. Base typing may resist this, but tera type might not, and flare blitz recoil+cc def drops can easily put you in range.

Defensive teams also have stuff like dozo, flip turn alo, skeledirge, gliscor back for round 2...The speed tiers are higher, the priority is stronger, and there are new unaware walls that Blaziken never had to deal with in gen8. All in all, I am more scared of Serperior come dlc2.

This is actually ban #18. Don't count things like Original Color Magearna or base Palafin and Palafin-Hero as 2 separate Pokemon.
Flutter Mane, Palafin, Iron Bundle, Chi-Yu, Magearna, Chien-Pao, Annhilape, Espathra, Houndstone (later changed to Last Respects), Cyclizer (later changed to Shed Tail), Zamazenta-H, Urshifu-RS, Regieleki, Volcarona, Baxcaliber, Ogerpon-W, Ursaluna-BM, Roaring Moon, Gliscor, and now Sneasler.

That's 20.

Flutter Mane, Palafin, Iron Bundle, Chi-Yu, Magearna, Chien-Pao, Annhilape, Espathra, Houndstone (later changed to Last Respects), Cyclizer (later changed to Shed Tail), Zamazenta-H, Urshifu-RS, Regieleki, Volcarona, Baxcaliber, Ogerpon-W, Ursaluna-BM, Roaring Moon, Gliscor, and now Sneasler.

That's 20.
I see you a ton in this thread constantly complaining on the amount of bans. Which of the currently banned mons do you think were good for the tier? Genuine question. If you were given ultimate power over OU, which of the mons would you keep in?

Because to me, complaining about the amount of bans is pointless, as you should look at each Pokemon and think "is this broken". And, to me, every single one of those bans was justified considering the state of the meta they occurred in. Saying "there's a lot of bans" in the most power-crept generation to date is a very silly argument, but I want to try to understand your viewpoint better.

I see you a ton in this thread constantly complaining on the amount of bans. Which of the currently banned mons do you think were good for the tier? Genuine question. If you were given ultimate power over OU, which of the mons would you keep in?

Because to me, complaining about the amount of bans is pointless, as you should look at each Pokemon and think "is this broken". And, to me, every single one of those bans was justified considering the state of the meta they occurred in. Saying "there's a lot of bans" in the most power-crept generation to date is a very silly argument, but I want to try to understand your viewpoint better.
I'm more just questioning if competitive is actually sustainable when it needs this many bans (with more forthcoming) just to be remotely playable and fun.

Melbelle

ENDORPHINS
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm more just questioning if competitive is actually sustainable when it needs this many bans (with more forthcoming) just to be remotely playable and fun.
Why does high ban number possibly mean unsustainable?

Even UU, which is practically defined by banning many good Pokemon (because they go into OU), is proven sustainable. Pretty sizable playerbase multiple generations in a row.

Fun, idk, but realistically things should settle down after the initial wave of bans/unbans in DLC2, plus whatever happens with Tera. There's just a lot of broken stuff this gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)