Resource ZUPL V Set and Team Dump

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Approved by Corthius and Tuthur | Mostly copied from last year's thread by Tuthur

Art by skrimps | Replays Thread

With the regular season over and ZUPL V now in playoffs, here is a thread where players may share the teams and sets they used some time throughout the tournament. These teams are divided into the SV, SS, SM, ORAS, BW, and DPP tiers that were played in ZUPL. Tour players, feel free to share your thoughts and potential match up fishing when creating the team!

Rules
  • All teams/sets must have seen use in an official ZUPL game. While replays are not needed, an official replay should exist here (or in the tiebreaker, playoffs, and finals threads until the replay thread is updated).
    • While this rule says that all teams/sets must have seen official use, you may post sets or teams you heavily considered bringing. After all, it is a part of preparation and may influence what you brought or built in a specific week.
  • Title your post (or team if your post has multiple teams) with one of the corresponding generational tags: [DPP], [BW], [ORAS], [SM], [SS], or [SV].
  • Post an importable of the team/set, preferably with pokepaste.
  • Use sprites to have a visual of the team.

And that's it! Thank you in advance for participating in the fifth ZUPL and sharing your thoughts on the teambuilding aspect of it.

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
[SV]

:flittle: plznostep's lovely lil teams :flittle:

Week 1:

SubSeed Scovillain

:scovillain: :thwackey: :gothitelle: :sandygast: :fletchinder: :grimer-alola:
So for our first week, Bait and I really wanted to bring Scovillain as we thought it could be a really good pick into the current meta because at the time I didn't really see people prep much for it. I thought SubSeed would be our best bet since it can abuse a lot of common answers to Scovillain like Mareanie. Thwackey also provides some extra Grassy Terrain support to power up Scovillain's Grass moves and the extra recovery helps me spam Substitute more. I was correct, my opponent didn't bring much that could threaten Scovillain other than Dragonair and I misplayed by letting Dragonair get to +2 and lost, which was unfortunate but my opponent played very well and it was a great first learning experience for me.
Week 2:
Greedent Balance

:greedent: :oranguru: :thwackey: :stonjourner: :swalot: :toedscool:
Greedent has been one of my favourite underrated mons to use in this tier. (i even made a post with it here and im planning to shed some more light on this mon in the future) It is so damn good at trading and stuff like that and so I really wanted to bring it to at least one week since it is just such a good mon. Oranguru is also one of my favourite mons to use in the tier and i wanted to remain in my comfort zone for this week so i could try and get a win for my team. Otherwise, its a pretty basic team but im very glad with how it performed this week to give me a win :3
Week 3
Calm Mind Stantler

:stantler: :gothitelle: :thwackey: :stonjourner: :toedscool: :mareanie:
So looking into Tuthur's scout, i thought specifically Special Stantler could be a great Pokemon into their teams and I thought it was quite underrated at the time, as I had not seen much of Stantler before this. I choose Tera Poison Stantler to give me a Toxic immunity + Fighting resistance and the Poison-typing also synergized well with Stantlers coverage to make Poison + Ground + Ghost coverage which hits all resists. Otherwise this team was also quite basic, i was beginning to worry about opposing Scovillian at this point so I ran a SpDef Mareanie as I thought Stantler would be able to deal with Thwackey to an extent as well. This marks my second loss to Dragonair and the start of me tricking mons when i am not supposed to LOL but again, it was a valuable learning experience.
Week 4
Tera Ground Sneasel

:sneasel: :banette: :jumpluff: :pachirisu: :stonjourner: :swalot:
Some of my teammates had been using Tera Ground Sneasel in testing and looking into Mana's scout, i thought it would perform very well into their team. I liked Tera Ground at the time so i could exploit Choice Locked Electric-types and also hit Stonjourner and Swalot for high damage when Terastallized. I also choose a Banette since I figured Banette would appreciate Sneasel's ability to lure in Stonjourner and hit it for good damage while Jumpluff served a similar function as a fast setup sweeper who also was Anti-Stonjourner but also just a nice cleaner lategame as well. Pachirisu was a nice pivot too, I figured i wanted an Electric immunity who could pivot and spread status, and Pachirisu fits that perfectly. Otherwise, the usual Stonjourner + Swalot here. The Pokemon i did not foresee being such a problem came though in Cetoddle which somehow actually had a godlike matchup into this team and i was soundly beat to my horror by the little Cetoddle, which is a shame because I thought I played this game rather well.
Week 5
Squawkabilly Balance

:crocalor: :toedscool: :stonjourner: :vespiquen: :gastly: :squawkabilly:
So going off my 1/3 record, I had to start changing it up a little. I thought a Crocalor + Vespiquen core would be an amazing core to build off as these are just two great glue mons and Squawkabilly was proving to be a very broken Pokemon from the new drops that I figured I could attempt to abuse. Gastly was also looking quite anti-meta at the moment since it could revenge Squawkabilly without worrying about it's priority and switch in on mons like Swalot and Non-Knock Off Toedscool rather well since Utility Swalot wasn't really all that popular at this point. This game is the second time I tricked for no reason and I eventually lost to Drakloak in the endgame because I could not revenge kill it unfortunately, and at this point i was a little burnt out from losing too much and felt like I had to take a break from playing since I was getting a tiny bit frustrated at my performance, but besides all that I really enjoyed supporting my team for the rest of the tour :3

Edit:
i didn't realise these usually came with descriptions so i've put some in lol.
I also would like to thank all my fellow Flamenco's for this lovely ZUPL, im so glad i was able to spend my first ZUPL in this amazing team, even if i didn't perform up to standards :>​

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
[SS] vs Zause :rotom::alcremie::miltank::stunfisk_galar::altaria::rapidash:

Main idea here is Magnet Rotom because it looked good into Zause and was something I had never used before. It took me a few builds to figure out and unfortunately, this week one team was not good enough. I wanted to go with a fat team as opposed to something offensive because I thought it would be a more reliable pick. In retrospect, this rotom should have been paired with things that can punish Stunfisk, Grass-types, and Alcremie better. Also, I think SD Rapidash would've given the team the breaking power it needs. I could not fit good Speed control unless I made Rotom Choice Scarf or made myself weaker to opposing Alcremie and Grass-types with something like Sawk or Kabutops.

As far as the game goes, I definitely did not play well. I did a poor job at recognizing my wincon early and the game was mostly a wash after I made an incorrect prediction/judgement and sacked Rapidash as opposed to going for Flamethrower turn 28. I should've trusted my gut there.
1693248591938.png

1693248615839.png

[ORAS] Raichy vs afo :electabuzz::politoed::ivysaur::carbink::vibrava::murkrow:

Electabuzz and this Politoed set looked good into afo's bulky teams. The team is fairly standard because I wanted it to be easy to use and flexible in how it plays, hence the bulky backbone. I generally dislike not having a Choice Scarf user or multiple fast mons/priority users, but with the Purugly ban and the lack of good Choice Scarf users in ORAS ZU, the build ended up with Buzz+Murkrow as the revenge killers. While the team lacks speed control and could be better againnst Duosion, I feel that we had enough tools to win this game and that the early game could've been played better. Moreover, I think Pursuit>Dark Pulse is something to consider because Psychic-types are kind of annoying for this team.

[SS] vs clean :lycanroc_midnight::roselia::rotom::silvally::dugtrio_alola::persian_alola:

Offensive teams are what I enjoy using most and after week one, I wanted to use a team where I had to make plays to win if that makes sense. CB Lycanroc is a menace and Roselia isn't really something I use, so I thought of going that route. The rest of the team is fairly straightforward. SD mixed Silvally-Water is something I like because it lets Silvally-Water break Alcremie and other walls faster than Work Up does and you can still 2HKO Tangela (after a slight chip), Qwilfish, Klinklang, and CB Thwackey. Dugtrio-A has Stone Edge over Night Slash or Sucker Punch to catch Altaria and Rotom-S. Sucker Punch would've saved me this game. Persian-A is incredible and especially so on hazard stack because of the fast Taunt and Knock Off and how well it pivots.

I'll let my postgame thoughts summarize the replay. I think that I played well for most of the game and needed to make one or two more plays to seal it.
image_2023-08-28_144611308.png
1693248710849.png

[ORAS] Raichy vs TierAcid :kricketune::gigalith::swalot::simipour::magmar::krokorok:

I knew twitt would build some offense and the Butterfrees used a double Water-type offense week 1, so I felt that Webs would do well. Gigalith and Swalot form the backbone and Simipour, Magmar, and Krokorok provide the firepower. Taunt Simipour not only helps prevent Defog, but it can also prevent slower Pokemon from setting up. LO mixed Magmar just for the breaking power and coverage vs Water-types. I thought that offense would be suitable for Raichy and the game went well up until the Hydro Pump miss. It's difficult to say how the game would've turned out had Whiscash dropped that turn (mainly because of Solrock). The miss definitely took away what would've been an interesting match.

[SS] vs Luck O' the Irish :palossand::clefairy::articuno::miltank::thwackey::klinklang:

0-2 at this point and we decided that fat teams perform best in SS because of their longevity and flexibility. I hadn't used Clefairy in a while so I went with a standard backbone of Palo/Cuno/Miltank to cover the meta. CB Thwackey is a nice revenge killer and also provides Grassy Terrain support, which helps Clefairy, Palossand, and Miltank to check stuff more reliably. Klinklang rounds out the team and provides some much needed glue for the team. This week, I was more focused on building a sound team as opposed to building with a focus on the scout.

This game highlights how well bulky teams can perform in SS ZU. Despite some misplays from my end (like turns 51 and 94) or multiple times where Irish outplayed me (i.e doubles into Klinklang vs my Cuno), or even hax, I was never out of the game.
1693252359533.png
[
I didn't reflect as much because the game was fairly straightforward.

[ORAS] Raichy vs Shaneghoul :persian::quilladin::carbink::electabuzz::frogadier::duosion:

We thought that hazard stack would do well into Shane because of the lack of hazard control in his teams and how he often brought offense. Persian aka budget Purugly provides revenge killing, Knock Off, and pivoting. Quilladin, Carbink, and Duosion form the backbone and Electabuzz and Frogadier round out the team. We should have gave the team more breaking power or at least more ways to beat Dustox and Servine because those killed us this week.

[ORAS] vs Joya :vanilluxe::servine::dustox::lampent::marshtomp::furfrou:

Our team hadn't been performing as well as we wanted to and so the lineup was changed this week. My thoughts heading into this match were the following:
1693253161209.png
I felt comfortable bringing offense because it is that good in ORAS and I thought I could play well enough with it. I went with Lampent because without Purugly around, its defensive profile shot up imo. I also thought that it could break Joya's teams with the right support. Dustox, Marshtomp, and Servine provide much of the defensive backbone and condense many roles for the team. CB Furfrou for breaking and Choice Scarf Vanilla for revenge killing. All in all the prep and game were straightforward. I got some favourable hax in the game which made things easier. Turn 27 had some build up and I wanted Joya to trade Scraggy vs Furf because it was favourable for me and helped me seal the game.

[ORAS] vs 5dots :lairon::swoobat::seaking::krokorok::dustox::sawsbuck:

The battle of the five. 5dots wanted to no johns so I had a strong feeling I would face some cheese. Regardless, I scouted and didn't prep as much for cheese as I should have.
1693254019293.png
I made a team with CB Lairon in an earlier week and tweaked it because it looked good into 5dots' usual stuff. The team focuses more on covering the meta than covering 5dots' builds specifically, so it does have some inherent weaknesses like Sawsbuck and HO. This game was one-sided and it was embarrassing on my end to be that weak to HO.

[SV] vs Monai :murkrow::drakloak::swalot::toedscool::stonjourner::tinkatink:

I was into SV while Squawk was around and after it was banned, I wasn't as excited to play SV. Regardless, I was somewhat familiar with the tier at this point and wanted to use Murkrow because it matched up well into Monai's teams. Rest-Talk Drakloak is great and so are the other standard mons in Swalot, Toedscool, and Stonj. I had a lot of help from Plznostep and Bait this week which was crucial because I needed to bounce ideas around and have step and Bait review things. We couldn't fit another Water-type check without reworking the whole team and so we went with Tera Grass Stonj. Unfortunately for us, Monai brought two offensive Water-types. I was definitely outplayed this game and made some bad misplays, especially when I sacked Drakloak at the end instead of Swalot. I think I had the tools to win and should've played more aggressively to give myself a better shot. For example, I should've clicked BB more often with Murkrow as Stonj probably didn't want to risk taking a Dark Pulse. All in all I was dissatisfied with how I played this game.
1693255110762.png

1693255137847.png

[ORAS] Raichy vs Gorex :whirlipede::marshtomp::lopunny::banette::simipour::jumpluff:

By this time, we figured that offense was our bread and butter for ORAS. It was time to unleash hazard stack again and this time with Lopunny and Banette, two Pokemon that I thought were on the rise. More Simipour because it's good at pressuring most SR users and breaks down teams well on its own. SD Pluff to round out the team and give a wincon. I considered Scarf Simisage or Servine as the last, but I wanted a wincon and had Lopunny and Banette with priority + hazards support. Raichy played this game well and executed spectacularly.

[SV] vs btboy :stonjourner::drakloak::sandygast::swalot::vespiquen::lumineon:

We knew that we wanted to bring CB Stonjourner this week because it is a menace. It took a few attempts to come up with this team and I still think there is room for improvement (or just a build with CB Stonj). Thank you to step, Bait, and Monai for helping with this build. The team relies on pivoting and hazards to put CB Stonj into a position to break stuff. The team is fairly standard and simple so there isn't much to say. As for the game, I think I played okay up until I went for Roost Vespiquen turn 18. I should have just went for the U-turn to bring Lumi in and gone from there. I definitely got lucky in the end game and btboy misplayed too, both of which made me win.

[ORAS] Raichy vs toto ciro napoli JonAmon 25 :graveler::meowstic::croconaw::dustox::vanilluxe::swoobat:

Raichy suggested Croconaw into temporal totodile because it looked nice into toto's balance teams. With Croc comes screens so I figured what the heck, let's go all in. The season was on the line so it was high stakes. Screens into this situation was exciting and the Croc pick made it funny. Anyway, DD Croconaw really did look good here. I stole twitt's Meowstic set for screens, gotta shout that out. DD Dustox is a relic from when Machoke was still legal in ORAS PU and I had never seen or used it since then. Under Screens, it looked almost broken against toto's scout. Vanilluxe and Swoobat give the team speed and are potential cleaners, which screens teams need.

We got crit.

Overall, I learned a lot this tour by exploring different metas, interacting with my teammates, and reviewing games and scouts. I wish I played and prepped better because there were weeks where I didn't perform up to how well I think I can. Regardless, this season was still fun.

I want to shout out my managers DurzaOffTopic BaitWiz and Greybaum for the season we had and believing in me enough to take the ~20k retain. I really enjoyed bouncing ideas around and cooking up teams and sets. To me, the teambuilding process is more than half the fun in mons. Thanks to plznostep hayedenn Lizardu for all the SV help and just being so solid, even just being there for me to lurk sometimes and soak in information so I can learn the meta. Thanks again to Durza and Greybaum for taking care of SM, coming up with ideas and teams, and letting me help review teams and scouts. Shoutout to innovamania and Heysup for carrying us with their spectacular records. We would've been down and out way earlier had it not been for your efforts. Shoutout to Raichy for always staying positive and confident in your abilities and trusting me enough to provide teams for you. Thanks to everyone else that was a part of the team and helped out.

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
hey y'all, this was my first zupl and despite my horrible record, i actually had lots of fun and it really helped me change the way i see this game. anyway, here's all the teams i built for me and my pupitars teammates during this season :)

WEEK 2
SV:
me vs mana (L): :raboot: :swalot: :bramblin: :hippopotas: :zweilous: :hypno: raboot haz stack
mana had brought a pretty weird team the week prior, so i wanted to just bring something that was pretty solid all around and so i decided to go for a pretty standard hazard stack team, with a raboot cause it was one of the best mons in the tier at that time. zweilous was a really underrated pick that i was excited to use, working as a check to banette, scovillain and the psychics (and then i randomly sacked it for no reason when i had a whole fucking swalot and a bramblin to handle thwack bruh). bramblin is ass, in hindsight i regret loading it. i went a bit too insane on that hypno ev'ing but it all made sense i swear lmao. in the end i simply played this game really poorly.
WEEK 3
SV:
me vs ciro (L): :swalot: :floette: :drizzile: :gothitelle: :sandygast: :dedenne: floette + drizzile paraspam
i was really looking forward to this mu cause i know ciro like i know my pockets, and i knew the best way to beat him wouldve been to load a mon he didnt know what it did, so after much head smashing i decided for floette, which yea you can easily guess what it does but w/e it was really uncommon and i was pretty convinced ciro had never seen one. drizzile looked omega strong into ciro cause he had brought no real water resistances (scarf thwackey takes like 60 from surf and i knew he hated mare). in hindsight dedenne couldve been changed to something else cause it wasn't serving much purpose on the team. game was pretty close, unfort that my swalot got crit so early forcing me to sack it, i probably shouldn't have wasted tera on floette cause i could've still setup in front of para'd scov even without tera steel. all around tho im somewhat happy with how i played this game.
WEEK 4
SV:
monai vs lice (W): :swalot: :crocalor: :toedscool: :shellos: :flareon: :quilladin: ffwgg stall
ofc i had to build at least one stall team. i had actually been building stall for every week up until this point (and i kept doing it until basically the end of the tour) so when monai told that he wanted to bring some stall vs lice i was pretty happy. this specific version was the result of a whole evening of smashing my head against the wall trying to figure out how to fit checks to everything that was popular in a stall team that could've still worked. wishpassing into toeds was the most consistent removal option period, and i decided to slot giga on toeds cause shiinotics were spamming sandygast. i'm definitely happy with how this team turned out and i'm really glad that monai was able to use it successfully to win his game.
me vs tlenit (L): :sudowoodo: :varoom: :pupitar: :banette: :persian: :flittle: np persian + flittle ho
what might just be the most infamous team of this whole zupl. the reason i decided to load this vs tlenit was bc i knew they were the better player but also that they weren't really that familiar with all the in and outs of the tier, so i thought that loading something unexpected could've made me win, that's why i have some mons that might look weird at first glance like varoom and flittle. varoom was actually a perfect fit for this team cause it was a slow pivot that could tank many moves from common mons, get rid of tspikes and set its own. np persian was supposed to bait fake out stuff and nail stonj with chilling water, i'm just a little mad that i didn't go for pgem on it cause it would've swept if i had it. i choked by resting on mare with pup, and after all i'm still convinced that this was the right team to load, despite seemingly everybody memeing on it.
fragments vs chants (L): :drizzile: :swalot: :pawniard: :hippopotas: :dedenne: :bramblin: pawn balance
fragments had thrown around a skeleton of a build and i decided to finish it and patch some weaknesses for him. pawn was a really interesting mon but pretty hard to fit imo, and this build looked like a quite decent place to use it in. unfortunately, the whole team was too slow and relied too much on that shitmon called bramblin as all of a spinner, spikes setter, spinblocker, ground resist and water resist.
WEEK 5
SV:
elfuseon vs tnunes (W): :calyrex: :squawkabilly: :stonjourner: :lumineon: :toedscool: :swalot: specs caly offense
me and val had started to throw around ideas on how to abuse the brokens that we got with august shifts, and this is what we came up with. squawk is broken, specs caly looked insanely threatening and the rest was some kind of more defensive backbone that could still keep up some offensive pressure. idk why we brought scarf lumi but it worked out perfectly lmao.
SM:
outbackrabbit vs dugza (L): :swanna: :bouffalant: :silvally-poison: :gourgeist: :bronzor: :electivire: sd bouff balance
the only non-sv team i built that was actually used (i thought there was also some dpp build but apparently not). i knew absolutely nothing about sm building but i had been testing with somalia quite a good amount and since nobody was building i figured i might give it a shot. monai suggested z swanna cause it looked pretty good into dugza's scout and i added an sd bouff that also looked quite nice. i don't think the team is bad in and of itself, we should've probably just tested it more cause in the end the lack of metagame knowledge from outbackrabbit showed, sacking the bronzor when it had a pretty good mu.
WEEK 6
SV:
me vs beauts (L): :morgrem: :vespiquen: :thwackey: :drakloak: :hippopotas: :mareanie: morgrem haz stack
this week was a mess to say the least. we were guaranteed out, so i wasn't really playing for anything except to save my horrible 0-4 record (0-7 overall in teamtours), but i was still pretty demotivated, not feeling really well and quite busy irl so i took an old build i had made in like w2 or 3, made some minor tweaks and decided to load it with no real testing, and it showed. this is the one loss i'm the most mad at me for cause i know that if i had really put some effort into it i could've had a chance, but alas, here i am with my 0-8 record.

and yea, that was it. s/o to monai and colteor for picking me up and to all my teammates, even tho it didn't quite work for us i really enjoyed collaborating with you all :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)