Project ZeroUsed Teambuilding Competition [Round 7: Gougeist+Golem, Building phase]

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Voting Phase is going up! This week we've got 4 juicy teams to vote for, going to end voting phase either sunday night or monday morning, depending on when I remember/get reminded to do it, gl guys!

85%'s BU Haka Balance
Rapidash iconMawile iconShiftry iconSwanna iconHakamo-o iconSilvally icon (normal)
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...hakamo-o-building-phase.3648930/#post-8101662
SputnikGT's Sand ft DD Haka
Hakamo-o icon Hippopotas iconSandslash iconCradily iconCrustle iconGranbull icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-hakamo-o-building-phase.3648930/post-8103412
Graceclaw's DD Haka Balance
Hakamo-o icon Silvally icon (water)Rapidash icon Komala iconGourgeist (Average Size) icon (Super)Marowak icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-hakamo-o-building-phase.3648930/post-8103505
Ho3nConfirm3d's BU Haka Semistall
Hakamo-o icon Silvally icon (Electric)Golem iconBronzor iconMareanie iconToucannon icon

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-hakamo-o-building-phase.3648930/post-8103662

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Trick Room Featuring Choice Band Muk

Muk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide

Dusknoir @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Frisk
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Ice Punch

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Explosion

Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

Wishiwashi @ Choice Specs
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- U-turn

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
Brave Nature
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Muk
Muk is a Pokemon that looks like it was designed to be a Curse sweeper, and it is very good at that. But honestly, I really do not enjoy that sort of slower, more methodical playstyle, so I wanted to do something different. Trick Room was an obvious answer. Choice Band gives Muk some very good power, and the combination of moves that it has gives it good coverage. It's naturally decent special bulk allows it to switch in onto predicted special attacks, and it's low speed allows it to function well in trick room.

Dusknoir
This team features my favorite Trick Room setter core, namely Dusknoir, Beheeyem, and Carbink. This Dusknoir's main purpose is to set up trick room and get out of the way using Z-Memento. Z-Memento is very useful tool, as it will heal the next Pokemon if it is needed. Shadow Sneak and Ice Punch are there too but they usually aren't needed.

Carbink
The lead. Trick Room, Stealth Rock, and Explosion are a great way to start off a match. Mental Herb prevents taunt shenanigans.

Beheeyem
This thing doubles as a Trick Room setter and an extremely strong special attacker. Colbur Berry allows it to easily best Shiftry, and the combination of Psychic and Bug hits most of the tier for neutral damage at least. Nasty Plot makes this thing's power ridiculous as well.

Wishiwashi
Wishiwashi functions similarly to Beheeyem, except for the fact that it can't set up Trick Room. Choice Spec boosted Hydro Pump hits even resistant Pokemon for massive damage. Hidden Power Electric and Ice Beam are there for 100% accurate moves, but this thing is usually spamming Hydro Pump. U-turn is there as well for momentum.

Marowak
Another Trick Room staple, Marowak works well with Muk because it can switch into physical attackers somewhat well, while Muk can tank Knock Offs because of Sticky Hold. So switching between these two can really work wonders. It hits really hard with Thick Club support, and with Swords Dance up it can destroy pretty much everything.

I'm fully aware that this is unconventional, but I wanted to make Muk work in a way that wasn't a Curse set. I think this might be the best way to make that work.

Muk Bulky Offense

105percent (Muk) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

100percent (Shiftry) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

24percent (Bronzor) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Rest

95percent (Silvally-Dragon) @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 208 HP / 240 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Defog

123percent (Electivire) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

87percent (Swanna) (F) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Roost

First off I wanna apologize for this team a) being super standard and b) looking very similar to my sample team. That was not my intention when building and ended up just happening randomly. But let´s get down to the important stuff:

First member of the team is the mandatory Muk. I chose the common Curse Muk set, since I think it´s the most consistent one and it also doesn´t see nearly as much usage as it deserves. The next step was looking for Pokemon who give Muk trouble performing. These include Steel and Ground types who trouble Muk defensively and Ground and Psychic types who pressure if offensively, as well as some more specific Pokemon with Haze or Unaware. Examples include Golem, Bronzor, Pyukumuku, Beheeyem, Mareanie etc. This is why I chose Shiftry as my next member. Shiftry can weaken or remove all the Pokemon I mentioned and some that I didn´t mention specifically. Next, I decided to start looking for hazard related additions to not be too restricted later on. Bronzor caught my eye, since - out of the viable rockers - it fit the team best regarding shared weaknesses and also serves as an answer to Pokemon like Swanna, Muk, Golem, Abomasnow, Bellossom etc. Basically at the same time I decided to add Silvally-Dragon to complement Bronzor by covering the teams Fire weakness, serve as the defogger and also give the team a tool to handle Shiftry. Looking at the team I realized that I was missing an Electric immunity to prevent Volt Switch shenanigans. I was also missing speed. This is why I chose Electivire as fifth member (keep in mind that Electivire can be a shaky Electric immunity, since opposing Electivire can use Earthquake). Electivire can also give Shiftry nice breaking opportunities thanks to Volt Switch. To round the team off, I checked for threats I hadn´t covered at this point and structural flaws of the team. I decided to look for a Pokemon that is a) fast and b) can help me handle Combusken - my choice fell on Swanna. At this point I hadn´t placed my Z-crystal, so I decided to give Z-Rain Dance Swanna a try and allow my team to clean frailer teams who pressure Muk too much.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
CurseTalk Muk Balance

Muk is not a mon I like. Lets get that straight. Its CB set is outclassed by so many better CB users that either have better coverage or stats. Like CB golem, which has a dual STAB, Sucker, and Sturdy can be just as if not more useful than Poison Touch. Then theres the CurseTalk set, the best Mul set, but thats dependent many a times on getting the right move when asleep, and needs a lot of support to be more consistent.

It just isn’t a mon for me but I made it work regardless. Here Muk is a much needed special defense pivot for many special attackers. It threatens a good chance to status within a STAB Jab thats actually kinda strong without set up. Its also the teams wincon for most games, and the rest of the team supports it by targeting most of what could check it (like Steel typles lol).

Bronz has great synergy and helps cover the rest of the special attackers that can threaten Muk like Mr Mime, Chatot, Behyeem, ect. It also has an EQ immunity which is always nice, and can Toxic/Protect/Psywave most things down.

Band Golem hits so damn hard. Check my Sputnik replay where his lack of a Ground resist sure bites him in the ass. It’s Fire Punch is a good lure too for enemy Bronzors and bulky Grass types.

Shii may look weird with Fairum Z but heres the fact of the matter: I switch this thing in on every and any Knock Off anyways, so may as well keep my item. Farium Z also can help bop some cheeky threats and makes you less of a pushover for at least one turn. Also I opted for Seed over Giga cause Seed can punish more things after you get your Spore off like Mare and Combusk that may want to switch in.

Silv-Water is my phys Swanna check and Tbolt scares it and other Water types. Its offensive cause I really wanted the speed and didn’t exactly care for the def set cause the stronger Tbolt is realy helpful I’ve found.

Simisear works as a fast Fire scarf and completes the Fire/Water/Grass core, but man is it frail. Its strong sure but it’s not switching into much sadly, and needs that Defog support. I opted for Knock Off over something like Flamethrower or HP Elect cause Knock really helps with wearing down Mare, Pyuk, and other Evio or Stall mons. Really helpful.

Anyways it works pretty good and it’s solid, but be careful with the stray Pawniard and even SD Ninjask. They don’t 6-0 or anything but they have a good MU. See this is where Sturdy on that Band Golem is good lol.

Beating SputnikGT’s team https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898415043

This both shows off the massive EQ weakness his team has and how strong CB Golem.

Beating Graceclaw’s team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898352606
Shii and Bronz make an awesome core that really support each other.

Beating Deleuzsional’s Team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898476383
Curse Muk makes a great wincon he can’t break.

028.png089.png256.png436.png558.png773.png

Muk + SS Crustle Bulky Offence

Team Import
https://pokepast.es/7b2cedda09da8ce9
Decided to make a fun team with OG NU AV muk. I'm using a similar lure/Av tank set I used to weaken Rhydons back in ORAS NU. This time hes weakening Bulky steels and grounds for SS crustle as well as providing an answer to the tiers special threats and providing much needed priority this slower team needed. Giga drain is meant to 2hko the ever present Golems on the switch. Poison touch seemed to work better.

Mixed defense bronzor and silvally dragon help round off the defensive core while providing rocks, defog and momentum. Also they both check a ton of threats in the meta right now such as Abomasnow, Golem, Electivire ,Shiftry, Fire types etc. Hypnosis on Bronzor proved interesting during testing to help deal with Mareanie and other annoying pokemon by stealing momentum when it hits but protect is also useful for scouting and racking up toxic damage.

Combusken provided speed control and a way to deal with threats to Crustles sweep like Gourgeist and Bronzor and can weaken shared checks like Silvally water/dragon. Scarfed Sandslash seems like a meme but STAB EQ can deal with alot of fast meets threats and is my only real way immediately dealing with Mareanie and he hits a decent speed tier as well as provides an Electric immunity. Poison jab is for Shiftry and Abomas thinking to switchin while it lures and OHKOs Shiin for Crustle. Rapid spin can also work to help.keep Crustles sturdy intact.

Threats:

Z me first Pinsir is scary if its Mold breaker but Bronzor can take a hit.

Machoke is annoying but Muk can sort of deal with it and Busken can severely dent it with its Z crystal.

Faster scarfers can only be dealt with defensively due to slower team so they need to be scouted and played around depending on matchup.

Pyukumuku stall can be annoying but toxic dmg plus special mons.

Komala is annoying cause Crustle is offensive (can setup on it) and Bronzor hates knock and cant beat it 1v1 unless lucky with psywave rolls. Busken can kill it but is forced to do an obvious protect.

Sturdy on crustle can also be used as an emergency panic button for certain threats.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-899225717https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-899214934https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-899803012

P.S. Did this all on mobile so apologies in advance for terrible formatting :)

Last edited:
Hoot If You Love Choice Band

Muk @ Choice Band
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Gunk Shot
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Granbull @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Earthquake

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 4 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Noctowl @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Work Up
- Hurricane
- Hyper Voice

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Fake Out

I started with wanting to build with AV Muk, but that's not really something you build around (it's surprisingly splashable and potent), so I settled on a banded set because I hadn't seen it a while and wanted to see how it performs. Gunk Shot hits for stupid amounts of damage when it's not quad-resisted (see aptly-named replay below), and your choice of the elemental punches provides excellent coverage for switch-ins. There are a few notable things it doesn't break or which prevent him from freely clicking Gunk Shot (Mareanie, Bronzor, Golem, Gourgeist*, etc), so I built the team around freely switching into and taking advantage of these.

Muk

Band Muk actually has a relatively easy time getting in and clicking moves in a lot of matchups. Notably, it switches into Special Abomasnows even w/o full SpD investment (Specs chunks hard but then you find out it's specs), forces out Special Busken, switches into Swanna Hurricane, freely into Bronzor, Licki, etc. Point is, once Gunk Shot resists are eliminated, Muk can really punch holes. The nice thing about Muk is that its movepool allows it to weaken those resistances with accurate prediction (Ice Punch for Golem, Thunderpunch for Mareanie, notably. Speed EVs are to creep Gourgeist and 2HKO with Ice Punch (or gunk shot, if you're lucky).

Muk's roles:
  • Abomasnow switch-in*
  • Swanna switch-in*
  • Prevent Special Combusken 6-0
  • Blanket Special Check*
  • Toxic Switch-In
  • Threatens Swanna
  • 6-0s stall
  • Deals with Bronzor*
  • Breaks Lickilicky
  • Breaks Mareanie
Noctowl

I built this team around Muk, but Noctowl has honestly stolen most of the spotlight. It capitalizes on the defensive mons that come in on Muk, sets up Agility, and blows something back with an unresisted Z-Cane. God forbid your opponent lets it get both dances up. I didn't originally start with this offensive core, but Noctowl actually fits the bill perfectly for complementing Muk because it freely comes in on Gourgeist, non-SpDef Mareanie, and even opposing Muk. You'll see in my replays just how easy this thing is to get in with this team, and how much damage it does after getting just Agility set up. Muk appreciates the chaos and holes that Noctowl creates (it busts through Bronzor, Golem, Mawile, etc with ease). I don't have time to post calcs to prove it, but the replays speak for themselves. Hyper Voice is there to help with cleaning up the mons that Muk weakens (it does 60% to offensive Golem without a boost) and give a reliable STAB (coverage means nothing to Tinted Lens). I don't find myself missing Roost very much at all.

Noctowl's roles:
  • 6-0s stall
  • Setup sweeper
  • Z-move user
  • Breaks Lickilicky
  • Cleaner
Granbull

Muk invites in Golem, Pinsir, Rapidash, and all manner of other threatening physical mons. Insert my all-time favorite ZU PhysDef mon: Aguav Granbull. One of the things I love about Granbull is that it can Heal Bell physical attackers which switch into Scald like CB Muk, so getting burned on a switchin isn't the worst thing in the world (Muk KOs Swanna with T-punch through burn, but you get the idea).

Granbull's Roles:
  • Stop Z-Me First Pinsir
  • Prevent 6-0 from Muk
  • Golem Switch-In
  • Electivire Switch-In
  • Rapidash Switch-In
  • Komala Switch-In* (Band still hurts but you force it out and potentially live 2 if low roll or you proc berry)
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (SD)
  • Kecleon Switch-In
  • Toxic User
  • Threatens Golem, Shiftry, Electivire, Rapidash, Kecleon, Komala
  • Shiftry switch-in*
  • Toxic switch-in
Kecleon

Kecleon is an excellent disruptor on this team and gives it a way to reliably Knock Off pesky Eviolite abusers and finish off weakened threats (Swanna, Electivire, Pinsir, etc). It is, of course, also a blanket Special check for the team and prevents 6-0s from offensive Silvallies. There's not too much more to say here except that Kecleon is good and functions very well on this team. Heal Bell support from Granbull and Hwish support from Mime allow it to do what it does even better.

Kecleon's roles:
  • Knock Off User
  • Prevents 6-0 from Scarf Mime
  • Abomasnow Switchin*
  • Blanket Special Check
  • Threatens Komala, Silvally-Fighting
Sandslash

I've been surprised by how well this set has functioned for me. I needed an electric resist, rocks, scarfer, and defog/spin in the last 2 slots, so suddenly Sandslash sounded pretty great. I honestly think it's almost on par with Golem as a standalone rocker (due to its mostly favorable MU vs the aforementioned rock monster and other rocks-setters), and the extra EVs in attack have really paid off weakening switch-ins and generally bulky mons that need to be worn down. The odd choice with this set was X-Scissor, which really just serves to nab a surprise KO on incoming Shiftry or on Shiftries that set up SD on it expecting a switch-out (it lives one unboosted Seed Bomb anyways and Granbull counters Shiftry if it blows Leaf Storm on Slash). I imagine now that I've posted this that it won't work quite as well any more, though. Try Sandslash out on your teams (Knock or Toxic in place of X-Scissor, or both and forego Spin); you won't be disappointed. It 2HKOs offensive Golem and outspeeds with this spread.

Sandslash's roles:
  • Rocks
  • Spin
  • Electric Immunity
  • Prevents 6-0 from Muk
  • Golem Switch-In
    • Threatens Golem
  • Switches into Electivire (even Ice Punch, to an extent)
    • Threatens Electivire
  • Switches into Rapidash
    • Threatens Rapidash
  • Kecleon Switch-in
    • Threatens Kecleon
  • Threatens Shiftry* (Surprise)
Mr. Mime

People who know me will be surprised by this pick; I am notoriously awful at using Mr Mime and think it is overrated. However, it fit well on this team because it gave me a way to revenge-kill, threaten fat physical walls and unboosted 95s/swanna, and, most importantly, provides Healing Wish support. Focus Blast is used here over Trick or another coverage option so that I can bop banded Komala who otherwise gives the team a bit of trouble if played well. Healing Wish is really useful on this team because everything gets worn down over time (especially the team's namesake, Muk), and having yet another way to heal burns is important.

Mr. Mime's roles:
  • Prevents 6-0 from scarf mime (lol)
  • Scarfer
  • Deals with Gourgeist
  • Threatens base 95s (unboosted)
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (both sets)
  • Threatens Golem, Swanna, Rapidash
  • Breaks Mareanie
  • Healing Wish!
Overall, the team is a little unorthodox because it doesn't have a Silvally, but it has been very consistent for me so far (see: multitude of replays). I hope you enjoy it as much as I have this past week! Team is threatened by normal-spam after Granbull goes down and Shiftry if surprises don't work and it carries Leaf Storm and is played well.

Oh and it stomps ladder. Hard. Really hard.

vs LPY for roomtour; see how Noctowl and Muk work together?
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898544480vs 5gen for roomtour; Noctowl nukes Alolem while unboosted and generally causes issues
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898547367Gunk Shot does 0% to Golem (roomtour semis)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898550041Roomtour finals:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-898554117

Last edited:

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Opening up voting a bit late bc i fell asleep before doing it, going to close sunday night/monday afternoon

Sputnik GT's CB Muk Trick room
Muk iconDusknoir iconCarbink iconBeheeyem icon
Wishiwashi (Solo Form) icon
Marowak icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...uk-building-phase.3648930/page-2#post-8108481
85%'s Muk BO
Silvally icon
(dragon)Muk icon Bronzor iconElectivire iconShiftry iconSwanna icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...uk-building-phase.3648930/page-2#post-8109581
Ho3nConfirm3d's Muk Balance
Muk icon Bronzor icon
Silvally icon
(water)Shiinotic iconGolem iconSimisear icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...uk-building-phase.3648930/page-2#post-8110788
Dingalong's AV Muk BO
Silvally icon
(dragon)Muk icon Bronzor icon Combusken iconCrustle iconSandslash icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...uk-building-phase.3648930/page-2#post-8113192
Graceclaw's CB Muk Offense
Muk icon Sandslash icon Kecleon iconGranbull iconMr. Mime iconNoctowl icon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...uk-building-phase.3648930/page-2#post-8113229
I know what team i'm rooting for, but I choose to avoid voting unless it's to break a tie, good luck all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)