Substitute
Swords Dance
Synthesis
Taunt
Tera Blast
Trailblaze

Pros
  • Papa Zarude has an awesome cape.
  • Decent bulk, with 105/105/90 being nothing to scoff at.
  • Fringe pick for Sun teams.
  • Decent neutral speed, tying with Hisuian-Zoroark and having one base point above a non-Protosynthesis Walking Wake.
  • Has two forms of reliable recovery to have longevity.
Cons
  • You’re 4x weak to U-Turn.
  • You’re not touching most fairy types, outside of using Stomping Tantrum for Magearna.
  • Weaker on the Special Defense sides leaves it getting beaten up by special attackers easily.
  • You’re still 4x weak to the most common pivoting move in the game.

Terastallizing ideas
  • Steel blocks those fairy and bug types trying to get the jump on you.
  • Water helps defend yourself against fire-type attacks,
  • Dark helps boost your dark type moves.
  • Poison or Fighting to take down fairy or steel types with Tera Blast or a boosted Close Combat or Drain Punch

Potential Set:
Choice Band Attacker
Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Tera Type: Dark/Fighting/Poison/
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- U-turn
- Power Whip
- Close Combat/Drain Punch/Tera Blast

Just a simple Choice Band user, utilizing its solid 120 base attack and 105 speed to try and outspeed and heavily damage a foe. Tera Dark is so you can boost Crunch, and Tera Fighting is so you can try to blow up a steel type with Close Combat for sheer power, or Drain Punch to extend longevity. Tera Poison is for Tera Blast to attack any Fairy types that try to get in on you, along with resisting Bug types.

Attempted Bulky Attacker But Not Really But Go and Try It
Zarude-Dada @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 68 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Bulk Up
- Power Whip
- Close Combat

Use Bulk Up to get your attack and defense high, and rely on your naturally high speed to outspeed threats. You’ll be weak on the Special side but you can’t win them all. Tera Fighting is to boost Close Combat to attack Steel types who are usually not afraid to switch in.

Verdict:
Look. Zarude isn’t the best, but I’d be lying if he wasn’t awesome. Maybe he can carve out a niche in OU.

This was my first post of this type! Send any corrections my way!

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I wanted to shed light on another set that is that too bad, and had seen use prior to Home in National Dex: SD sweeper.

Zarude @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Tera Type: Dark / Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Darkest Lariat
- Trailblaze / Power Whip
- Close Combat

Now that Zarude has SD, it may be too much for UU to handle defensively, and will certainly be a lot more threatening to defensive cores here.

It sucks to be Shiftry and watch all other Grass Dark Mons to be released and good in one Tier or another.

Zarude was hugely upgraded this gen, I think it will be firmly UU and usable in OU. A pretty flexible movepool and tera cures its biggest downside. It can 1v1 pretty much all the unaware mons unless they tera too, it's a fantastic stallbreaker.

I made a post regarding Zarude, it has a pretty decent match-up against a lot of OU mons pending a Scout for one or two specific moves in their set (Ex: Fighting vs no Fighting STAB on Great Tusk, Gholdengo without FB and/or Status if no Jungle Healing/Sub, Ghost Spam doesn't like choice locking), so it has a decent shot at OU but is VERY much going to depend on what's good for the big wigs at any given time.

This on the Bulk-up set must count for something, right?
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 255-300 (72.4 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 255-300 (61.5 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Zarude Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 534-630 (115 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 0 Atk Zarude Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ursaluna: 434-512 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)