Your thoughts on gun violence in video games?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i think its funny that you posted a gun as being a security system because personally, i think the fact that some people feel they need a gun to feel secure is a very, very loud sign to something being horribly, horribly wrong

i would rather not feel like i need a tool to kill another person to feel secure
Oh? So if you were in a life-threatening situation, how would you feel secure?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
You're saying that a home security system is ineffective but then bring up a suggestion that's even more ineffective (since most break-ins happen when the homeowners aren't home. They're not here to murder you, just to take your valuables. If they're here to murder you, you have bigger problems).
And how about when a break-in happens when you are home? Oh shit, I threw my guns away. It may be unlikely, but it can happen, and my point still stands that home security systems are not completely unbeatable. No mode of security is, not even guns.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Oh? So if you were in a life-threatening situation, how would you feel secure?

knowing that when everybody and their dog can't have a gun the chances of me being put in a life threatening situation are reduced extremely

seems like you are only thinking of an isolated incident in the now, rather than looking at the bigger picture
i suggest you focus on the forest rather than a single tree

also gonna mention that ive lived my entire life without having a gun in my house and im still alive, big shocker i know

knowing that when everybody and their dog can't have a gun the chances of me being put in a life threatening situation are reduced extremely

seems like you are only thinking of an isolated incident in the now, rather than looking at the bigger picture
You don't need a gun to defend yourself because you assume they won't have a gun but what if we avoid that potentially fatal assumption and address a scenario where they do have a gun (or other deadly weapon)

to add:

saying that you need a gun for a security system is like saying driving a car is safer tahn riding a plane because you feel that you have more control; however, statistics show you are more likely to die in a car than a plane!

unless you are the 1% of fucking amazing shooters guns are worse than security systems

Agonist

also gonna mention that ive lived my entire life without having a gun in my house, big shocker i know
And you're avoiding the question. Say you were in a situation in which you were confronted by an armed intruder. How would you feel secure?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

also gonna mention that ive lived my entire life without having a gun in my house and im still alive, big shocker i know
I read this article today; not sure of its accuracy but I believe the data given here says quite a lot.

Agonist

how do you get to the gun before they harm you
Do what I do, and keep it in the bedroom with me. That way if you hear someone break in, you're all ready to confront them with your own weapon.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And how about when a break-in happens when you are home? Oh shit, I threw my guns away. It may be unlikely, but it can happen, and my point still stands that home security systems are not completely unbeatable. No mode of security is, not even guns.
I'm not sure if you're intentionally being thick-headed or not; you're ignoring the point that statistically (and logically), it's more likely than not that you won't be home during a break-in, so your home security consisting of a rifle unfortunately isn't very effective. Your point wasn't that home security is unbeatable; your point was that somehow, guns are much more effective for some inconceivable reason.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
And you're avoiding the question. Say you were in a situation in which you were confronted by an armed intruder. How would you feel secure?
security system

but this kind of hypothetical questioning is pretty asinine regardless, we can play what ifs all day if you really want

ps. if im already confronted, even if i have a gun what am i supposed to do to get it

unless you are one of those mythical people like mattj maybe is, and keep that gun duct taped to your hand and all

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
i'm sure as hell not gonna feel secure by challenging him to some kind of wild west shoot-out which seems to be what you're suggesting is the best course of action

a far more likely scenario is your house catching fire but how many of you keep fire extinguishers kicking around the house?

Agonist

I'm not sure if you're intentionally being thick-headed or not; you're ignoring the point that statistically (and logically), it's more likely than not that you won't be home during a break-in, so your home security consisting of a rifle unfortunately isn't very effective. Your point wasn't that home security is unbeatable; your point was that somehow, guns are much more effective for some inconceivable reason.
They didn't deny that break-ins do occur more frequently when no one is home, they asked what happens if someone broke in while you were home.

security system

but this kind of hypothetical questioning is pretty asinine regardless, we can play what ifs all day if you really want

ps. if im already confronted, even if i have a gun what am i supposed to do to get it

unless you are one of those mythical people like mattj maybe is, and keep that gun duct taped to your hand and all
Okay, and in the time that it takes the police to respond, what then?

And no, I don't know why you seem to think you need to have the gun duct-taped to your hand, it only needs to be easily accessible.

i'm sure as hell not gonna feel secure by challenging him to some kind of wild west shoot-out which seems to be what you're suggesting is the best course of action
It's certainly better than being unarmed.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They didn't deny that break-ins do occur more frequently when no one is home, they asked what happens if someone broke in while you were home.
And my point was that it's unlikely to happen. We can also discuss what we could do if China and America decide to engage in a nuclear war and how an assault weapon could help against that?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
And now you're putting words in my mouth. I'm just gonna quote myself:

Best part? It's not even an assault weapon, according to the completely ineffective 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. But seriously, home security systems are not 100% infallible.
I believe the bolded part would imply that I was not being completely serious earlier? Just a thought.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
Okay, and in the time that it takes the police to respond, what then?

And no, I don't know why you seem to think you need to have the gun duct-taped to your hand, it only needs to be easily accessible.
idk if you know this but

burglars don't really like to stick around once sirens are going off in your house and they know they've tripped a security system

you seem to think that break ins are commonly people who are there just so they can slaughter the innocent

they're not, they're there to steal and get the fuck out of there, they don't want to confront people

they aren't going to stick around in the house and go

DAMN, POLICE ARE COMING, BETTER FIND THE PERSON IN THIS HOME AND KILL THEM FAST

they are going to get out so they don't get caught

im trying to figure out what fantasy land you are living in, but i just cant

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Video games, guns, everyone just ducks around the fact that certain parts of America (cause we are a gigantic ass country that shouldn't be so easy to stereotype) are just really fucking shitty and won't get better cause we are too god damn big to properly govern.

Agonist

And my point was that it's unlikely to happen.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that unlikely now means it's won't happen.

idk if you know this but

burglars don't really like to stick around once sirens are going off in your house and they know they've tripped a security system

you seem to think that break ins are commonly people who are there just so they can slaughter the innocent

they're not, they're there to steal and get the fuck out of there, they don't want to confront people

they aren't going to stick around in the house and go

DAMN, POLICE ARE COMING, BETTER FIND THE PERSON IN THIS HOME AND KILL THEM FAST

they are going to get out so they don't get caught

im trying to figure out what fantasy land you are living in, but i just cant
Yes, because a burglar won't try and get as much shit as they can before the cops do get there. They've already broken in, why not take a minute or two to steal some valuables. It's not like the cops are going to magically appear at your doorstep the moment the alarm goes off.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that unlikely now means it's won't happen.
planning for every single what if in life is impossible, impractical, and incredibly stupid

what people are trying to say is that keeping things like assault weapons legal to deal with these very unlikely situations is causing REAL things to happen like mass shootings, that happen QUITE OFTEN

if you are creating more harm than good with something, then what good is it at all

Yes, because a burglar won't try and get as much shit as they can before the cops do get there. They've already broken in, why not take a minute or two to steal some valuables. It's not like the cops are going to magically appear at your doorstep the moment the alarm goes off.
i feel like i am done arguing with you over this insane hypothetical now, you seem to really not know how burglars work
because last time i checked, burglars don't have magic police sensing abilities
they don't know when the police are showing up, they are going to leave as soon as possible so they can get as far away as they can
you really are just being difficult and ridiculous at this point

what do you do if you get chased by a horde of 5 million zombies but grenades and rpgs and molotov cocktails are outlawed what are you going to do then?

Agonist

planning for every single what if in life is impossible, impractical, and incredibly stupid
that's not what I said.

what people are trying to say is that keeping things like assault weapons legal to deal with these very unlikely situations is causing REAL things to happen like mass shootings, that happen QUITE OFTEN

if you are creating more harm than good with something, then what good is it at all
Because if someone really wants to kill a bunch of people, and there aren't any guns legally available, they can either, a) steal one, or b) use some other way to kill a bunch of people.

i feel like i am done arguing with you over this insane hypothetical now, you seem to really not know how burglars work
because last time i checked, burglars don't have magic police sensing abilities
they don't know when the police are showing up, they are going to leave as soon as possible so they can get as far away as they can
you really are just being difficult and ridiculous at this point
Oh, because apparently the police no longer use sirens that clearly broadcast their impending arrival.

Video games, guns, everyone just ducks around the fact that certain parts of America (cause we are a gigantic ass country that shouldn't be so easy to stereotype) are just really fucking shitty and won't get better cause we are too god damn big to properly govern.
They aren't going to listen man.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
agonist, does your increasingly unlikely-sounding scenario to rationalise gun ownership justify the 8000+ Americans who are shot dead every year and the countless more who are injured or robbed/raped at gunpoint?

it seems a pretty heavy price to pay to protect myself from somebody who atm sounds like some sorta gun-toting Michael Myers

agonist, does your increasingly unlikely-sounding scenario to rationalise gun ownership justify the 8000+ Americans who are shot dead every year and the countless more who are injured or robbed/raped at gunpoint?

it seems a pretty heavy price to pay to protect myself from somebody who atm sounds like some sorta gun-toting Michael Myers
Unless you're the only person in the world who can figure out how to remove all guns that could be used for ill purposes in the United States, there is no way to remove the threat entirely so a deterrent is a logical option

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'm sorry forgot this is American and people don't break into your house and try to kill you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)