ORAS Doubles OU Yet another Drought Team

First of all, before anyone starts looking through my team, I'd like to point out that I am fairly new to the competitive scene. So please, although my team may be ripe with flaws, keep in mind that's why I am here. Try to keep the criticism constructively. With that out of the way, Let's take a look.

Pokemon: Charizard
Ability: Blaze / Drought
Item: Charizardite Y
Nature: +Spe / -Atk
EVs: 252Spa / 252Spe / 4Spd
Moves:
-Heat Wave
-Solar Beam
-Air Slash
-Protect

I originally chose Charizard Y because I have a philosophy that I shouldn't play with Pokemon unless they're in my favourites, and this guy is up there for me. That aside, there are some more meaningful reasons for picking him. He's the star of the team; he brings out sun on mega evolving, which can only be weather-countered by a switch in or mega T-Tar; sweeps late game; and is just good at taking out Pokemon during any part of a match, if an opportunity arises. That said, he's not without weaknesses, so I made a team that supports him. Also, Protect allows him to stall while another Pokemon takes out any threats that are faster than the frail guy. The other 3 moves are for obvious STAB and sun abuse.

Pokemon: Shiftry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: +Spe / -Spa
EVs: 252Spe / 252Atk / 4Spd
Moves:
-Fake out
-Knock Off
-Leaf Blade
-Brick Break

I picked Shiftry because he can take great advantage from the sun. Chlorophyll and a base speed stat of 80 means that he'll only be outsped by the highest speeds (and priority). I wanted fake out support, and Shiftry seemed perfect to fit the role. He also has two nice stab moves, one of which can get rid of items. Lastly, he has brick break for nasty Pokemon like Terrakion, as well as for breaking screens. Basically, Shiftry's role is to simply put a dent on the enemy team, and give other Pokemon a chance to shine. I gave him a sash because he's a huge target for fire moves (especially in the sun) as well as fighting moves, like mach punch, which are very common. The sash allows him to get another hit in before going down.

Pokemon: Ninetales
Ability: Drought
Item: Heat Rock
EVs: 252Spe / 252Spa / 4Spd
Moves:
-Heat Wave
-Solar Beam
-Wil-O-Wisp
-HP Fighting

Ninetales allows me to set up sun at the get go whenever I don't feel like using Charizard right away (which is reckless). The Heat Rock means I don't need to switch for a while for the sake of weather unless my opponent is using a different weather team. Wil-O-Wisp allows me to cripple sweepers that could otherwise one-hit-KO my Pokemon. The rest of the moves are for sweeping potential.

Pokemon: Manectric
Ability: Lightning Rod
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252Spe / 252Spa / 4Def
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-HP Ground
-Magnet Rise

I chose to put Manectric on my team because electric attacks spell doom for Charizard. Lightning Rod means that I can have Charizard out and not worry about electric attacks (aside from discharge, which can be easily predicted). If I don't need him at any given turn, I can bait an electric attack, and switch into Manectric for a free boost to special attack. This is awesome, because, with his naturally high speed and his life orb, Manectric can do a lot of damage even on neutral hits, and almost guaranteeing super effective one-hit-KOs. Magnet Rise is to protect from ground moves, and the rest of his moves are for sweeping.

Pokemon: Starmie
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: +Spe / -Att
EVs: 252Spe / 252Spa / 4Spd
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Scald
-Power Gem

Starmie helps cover a lot of my team's weaknesses, such as Landerous-T, TalonFlame, and other hard hitters. I picked Natural Cure because Starmie's other two abilities are useless (one has a use, but not on Scarfed Starmie). Plus, even if it gets crippled by status, I can switch out for a fresh switch in or revenge kill next time. All moves are simply for taking out Pokemon that others may have trouble with, although Scald is also used in a hope of a burn sometimes. It's also abused against rain teams, and it has great sweeping potential for sand teams.

Pokemon: Trevanent
Ability: Harvest
Item: Sitrus Berry
Nature: +Att / -Spa
EVs: 252Att / 248HP / 8Spd
Moves:
-Horn Leech
-Drain Punch
-Leech Seed
-Phantom Force

Trevanent is here simply to abuse the sun. His stats are invested to make him bulky, and his moves help him recover, as well as dishing out damage. The only exception is Phantom Force, which can protect him if he needs recovering from leech seed or sitrus berry. Trevanent was the last addition to my team, and I chose to add him because it seemed that my team didn't take advantage of its two Drought Pokemon enough. As long as he stays away from fire attacks, Trevanent is my only Pokemon who can survive a couple of hits, and my team needs someone who can tank hits. I've also had the pleasure of switching in on fake outs.

Feel free to share some advice!

Tbh, I think ninetales is kind of redundant. You usually won't need another setter besides zard if you play right. If you wanted another fire type to abuse sun something like heatran would be a lot more useful I think.

Also, a lot of your pokemon are lacking protect. I would take off some of the lesser important moves and replace them with protect.

Thanks, Noved. A Pokemon like Heatran is one I can feel comfortable switching out. Now I'm thinking about getting something like Typhlosion on the team. How much fire is too much?

Also, does Manectric need protect? Should I swap the orb with air balloon to take out magnet rise? I just thought about that.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Your overall team purpose and game plan seem pretty solid for a team built around Zard Y. However, I'll say a few of your movesets are iffy and some of your mons stack offenses and team roles. This might be a helpful link on analysis of team roles on a well made sun team. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teambuilding-frameworks.3509619/

Firstly, ninetales is a big no-no when it comes to sun teams. It has overall subpar stats and does nothing to extend your movepool beyond zard y, while its ability is wasted, as you can't exactly stack sun. Instead, you could use something like Gengar>Ninetales, giving you a greater variety in offensive typing and speed while also giving you a mon that hard checks Mega Kangaskhan and outspeeds Terrakion.

Pokemon: Gengar
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Spa / 4Spd
Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect

Manectric should use Protect>Magnet Rise, because it's far less situational, protecting your from all attacks rather than (nonexistent)ground attacks that manectric could outspeed.

Scarf Starmie is simply too weak and frail to beat a lot of checks to sun. Also, its typing doesn't help much offensively or defensively. Instead, I recommend Scarf Genesect, with better bulk, typing, and a powerful ability in download. Gene can hit lando and thundy with ice beam (bulky thundy variants will be outsped by zard), terrak and diancie with iron head, espeed for super fast priority, and u turn for bug stab and momentum.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- U-turn

Your overall team purpose and game plan seem pretty solid for a team built around Zard Y. However, I'll say a few of your movesets are iffy and some of your mons stack offenses and team roles. This might be a helpful link on analysis of team roles on a well made sun team. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teambuilding-frameworks.3509619/

Firstly, ninetales is a big no-no when it comes to sun teams. It has overall subpar stats and does nothing to extend your movepool beyond zard y, while its ability is wasted, as you can't exactly stack sun. Instead, you could use something like Gengar>Ninetales, giving you a greater variety in offensive typing and speed while also giving you a mon that hard checks Mega Kangaskhan and outspeeds Terrakion.

Pokemon: Gengar
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Spa / 4Spd
Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect

Manectric should use Protect>Magnet Rise, because it's far less situational, protecting your from all attacks rather than (nonexistent)ground attacks that manectric could outspeed.

Scarf Starmie is simply too weak and frail to beat a lot of checks to sun. Also, its typing doesn't help much offensively or defensively. Instead, I recommend Scarf Genesect, with better bulk, typing, and a powerful ability in download. Gene can hit lando and thundy with ice beam (bulky thundy variants will be outsped by zard), terrak and diancie with iron head, espeed for super fast priority, and u turn for bug stab and momentum.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- U-turn
Thanks for the advice. I put Gengar on my team in place of Starmie (and Heatran in place of Ninetales). However, Genesect is Uber. I'm in regular doubles. I should have said that at first.

Hi!

So, what are you hoping to hit with Hidden Power Ground on Manectric? There's very little coverage opportunity opened up in choosing Ground, so I recommend you run Hidden Power Ice instead of Ground, which will let Manectric score hits on both Landorus-T and Garchomp. Manectric outspeeds Garchomp naturally and there's few Scarf Chomp in the metagame so you shouldn't have to worry about outspeeding and killing. Landorus-T on the other hand sometimes runs Scarf, so be wary and scout what the foe might be running with Protect and team support.

If you update the OP with some of the changes you've made so far, it'll be easier to further rate the team. Good luck!

First of all, before anyone starts looking through my team, I'd like to point out that I am fairly new to the competitive scene. So please, although my team may be ripe with flaws, keep in mind that's why I am here. Try to keep the criticism constructively.
Glad to see a new face in smogdubs!

Ok with the changes before mentioned this is the team right now:
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Air Slash

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Brick Break

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Manectric @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Drain Punch
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed

Now there are two major things I'd like to do with this team, first of which using Rotom-Wash > Manectric. It'll complete a fire/water/grass core with shiftry and zard (getting rid of trevenant in the next change) and is pretty standard on sun teams. It's a more reliable switch in to a lot of things, zard can take grass hits easily for it, and helps get rid of opposing fire types and zards. I'm going to say thunder wave for this team because speed control really helps you but will-o-wisp is a reliable choice as well. All in all, manectric isn't a very solid mon either.

Secondly, I'd use Landorus-Therian > Trevenant. Trevenant really doesn't put the offensive pressure you want on a team, and landorus can intimidate as well as switch into electric attacks. (something you lost when i took out manectric) Scarf set would be optimal, it'll deal with opposing fire types as well as put a lot of pressure on the opposing team.

Nitpicks: Use sucker punch > brick break on shiftry, it's hitting things like terrakion supereffectively with leaf blade anyways, and sucker helps give you utility outside sun to pick up some ko's. Protect is also an option, along with tailwind.

Adamant nature > jolly on shiftry, it's outspeeding everything under sun anyways, might as well maximize on damage.

Overheat > air slash on charizard, overheat is a complete nuke that decimates just about everything it hits. Air slash isn't all that useful, as it only hits fighting types which are all ko'd by overheat anyways.

This is about the RMT in general, the importable format from pokemon showdown is generally the better way to do rmt's. I use it in both the hide tabs in these posts to have an easy to use format that you can take the team from in a second.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Overheat

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpA / 124 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)