Project XY RU Research Week #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Molk
OP stolen from Mazz
Taken from HotnCold

RESEARCH WEEK #1

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-Ups close Wednesday night, so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a research week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #rarelyused.
  • You must post a ladder ranking in order to win the above prizes.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Tyrantrum | Rotom-Mow | Mismagius
How useful are these Pokemon in XY RU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #rarelyused as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
  • Remember to submit your ranking!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown RU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I tested Tyrantrum a while ago and I was surprisingly disappointed in it. I was kinda excited to use it in RU back in like December but the DD set really wasn't very impressive at all. Tyrantrum is too frail to really set up a DD and get wrecking, and its typing doesn't really do it many favors either with all of those weaknesses to deal with. It struggles to set up not only because it's frail (especially on the special side), but also because everything in RU has some way to overwhelm Tyrantrum before it can start wrecking. Even if it does manage to get a DD up, it's not that strong, and some things like Alomomola can just wall you to hell and back. Tyrantrum is just kind of inferior to other sweepers like Barbaracle and Slurpuff. Tyrantrum isn't garbage though. It does have semi-decent physical bulk and could sweep if you give it the right support. Its coverage isn't too terrible either. CB might be a cool option too, as would Adamant Rock Polish. Overall though, Tyrantrum is still rather niche and needs support to really work well.

Rotom-Mow has proven itself to be quite effective in RU atm, the Choice Scarf set is very good because it breaks past Rhyperior and gains momentum with Volt Switch. It's a nice revenge killer and utility Scarfer, being able to cripple stuff with Trick and gain momentum while hitting hard with Leaf Storm. It's immune to Sticky Web too, which is awesome as well. That said, I am kind of interested in some other sets like Expert Belt or Defensive, and I think Rotom-Mow has quite a bit of potential, maybe I could find something useful in this beyond the Scarf set. Will-O-Wisp is a really cool move that Rotom-Mow has which is nice to cripple Hitmonlee and the like, so I think Defensive sets wouldn't be too shabby.

Mismagius is very underrated and I am not sure why it is NU while Electivire is RU. The NP set is a pretty effective special sweeper, having nice coverage, power, and Speed. Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam provide pretty excellent coverage outside of Pyroar, which sucks. Mismagius is one point faster than Delphox, which is really awesome so it can revenge kill it if it isn't Scarf. Mismagius is also immune to Sticky Web, which makes it an awesome tool to come toe-to-toe with Web Offense, being able to hit Doublade hard, and it can stop Shuckle from doing its job with Taunt and proceed to grab an NP boost from there. It also spinblocks somewhat decently against Hitmonlee, since although Knock Off still wrecks it, it can outspeed and hit hard with Dazzling Gleam, and is immune to Mach Punch. I am also thinking a SubCM set would be effective, and a defensive set with Wisp, Taunt, and Pain Split is interesting too to cripple Doublade and be a nice stallbreaker. NP Missy is the only Missy set I've ever used in my life but I think the other sets could be cool too.

Just a few thoughts from my past experiences with these mons. And speaking of which, I oughtta sign up:

Alt: Scolipede is Manly
Pokemon: Mismagius

Reactions: g
Hmm why not.
I'm porbably not getting reqs anyway since I suk :P

Anyway I've used Rotom-C quite a lot this gen and it makes for an excellent scarfer. Volt Switch is a cool momentum move, and Leaf Storm punishes the likes of Rhyperior from switching in on an expected Volt Switch, only to find themselves severly hurt or KO'd in the process. Trick is cool as well, and it has a legit defensive set with WoW and Pain Split

Alt: TurtleMow
Pokemon: Rotom-C

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
During my stint of using Tyrantrum previously, all I can say is that it was STRONG. I never ever had time to get up a ddance, but LO attacks with that crazy strong jaw coverage were fantastic. I feel as if it may be best to simply ditch setup if trying to use tyrantrum and simply go with lo 4-attack or something of that nature. Perhaps a scarf set? I'm not sure atm. I do think that dragon coverage in ru is rather useless on a mon like tyrantrum. Stone edge or even head smash alongside some fangs is much more effective. Its fire/flying resistances give it more switchin ops that would be expected.

All that being said, even when making the most of Tyrantrum, its special frailty and unfortunate speed prevent it from being a great pokemon. It is walled by the same things that most physical threats are walled by (Rhyperior, alo to an extent, etc.), and it doesn't have the sheer wallbreaking power of something like yanmega or moltres to justify the ease at which it is forced out.

This looks like a fun way to get back into the RU metagame. I will be using Tyrantrum.

Username: 1939Blitzkrieg
Ranking: 1157
WLT: 14-8-0
COIL: 1346

HI (Tyrantrum) (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

HCl (Braviary) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Return
- Roost

H2SO4 (Zoroark) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Night Daze
- Sucker Punch
- Flamethrower

HBr (Druddigon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

H3PO4 (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

HF (Yanmega) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Ominous Wind

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-135538008
Shows the effectiveness of my Zoroark set.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-136619524
Tyrantrum gets some action here. But again, Zoroark takes center stage, saving me from a 3-1 deficit. This battle shows newer players the importance of packing priority moves, especially as we are in the Shuckle Wasteland meta. I should get a spinner though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-136988302
Everybody plays roughly an equal role in this battle. Although I lost due to a misplay with Braviary at the end, it was a great battle otherwise that works as a good "how this team works" video.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-137268070
This battle was probably Tyrantrum's best showing. I pack Ice Fang specifically for Gligar and Fire Fang specifically for Escavalier, and well this opponent had both. :D

I tested Tyrantrum a while ago and I was surprisingly disappointed in it. I was kinda excited to use it in RU back in like December but the DD set really wasn't very impressive at all. Tyrantrum is too frail to really set up a DD and get wrecking, and its typing doesn't really do it many favors either with all of those weaknesses to deal with. It struggles to set up not only because it's frail (especially on the special side), but also because everything in RU has some way to overwhelm Tyrantrum before it can start wrecking. Even if it does manage to get a DD up, it's not that strong, and some things like Alomomola can just wall you to hell and back. Tyrantrum is just kind of inferior to other sweepers like Barbaracle and Slurpuff. Tyrantrum isn't garbage though. It does have semi-decent physical bulk and could sweep if you give it the right support. Its coverage isn't too terrible either. CB might be a cool option too, as would Adamant Rock Polish. Overall though, Tyrantrum is still rather niche and needs support to really work well.
I am trying to get around this poor speed issue by just using a tanky set that uses coverage that Rhyperior lacks room for, most notably Crunch. Braviary was chosen as a partner for offensive synergy and to help bust through various threats. Zoroark was chosen to hit physical walls and psychic-types and works well with Tyrantrum IMO. You could always use Baton Pass support (probably Ninjask) or Tailwind (many users) to let Tyrantrum invest in bulk while still retaining "speed." Thunder Wave support from Uxie and friends is also an option.

Okay so I went on and tested Rotom-C out. I wanted to use seomthing else than the standard Scarf set since that's what I always run. I came up with this.

Rotom-Mow @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
I would consider trying a Petaya Berry as well, to deliver a single, supercharged blow when you are too weak to keep pivoting in and out. Obviously put the last 4 EVs in Special Defense.

EVs: 252 Atk / 140 HP / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Return
- Roost

Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Night Daze
- Sucker Punch
- Flamethrower

EVs: 236 HP / 252 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

HF (Yanmega) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Yanmega wasn't pulling its weight, so I sought to replace it with a Rapid Spinner that had a usable special attack stat. Cryogonal was chosen initially, though I could run Hitmonchan and then replace Braviary with Eelektross or some specially-based tank.

EVs: 252 Atk / 140 HP / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Return
- Roost

Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Night Daze
- Sucker Punch
- Flamethrower

EVs: 236 HP / 252 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I had a lot of fun with this test of Tyrantrum's strength. The EBelt set I used gave me more success than I've had with it elsewhere to date. I changed Return on Braviary to Facade as there is very little that Return hit harder than the other two moves. That way burns did not completely cripple Braviary. I've also considered an EV spread on Druddigon with more attack EVs. Cryogonal has performed well enough over the second half of testing to earn its keep on my team. Feel free to try out the team I used.

Last edited:
Okay so I went on and tested Rotom-C out. I wanted to use seomthing else than the standard Scarf set since that's what I always run. I came up with this.

Rotom-Mow @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

This set is by no means uncommon or creative, but it works so damn good. Just bluff that you're a Scarf Rotom-C and keep on pivoting in and out with Volt Switch and attacking with ThunderBolt and Leaf storm on the right moments. Then, when they think it's safe to send in stuff like AV Escavalier or Druddigon, realease the Will O Wisp and cripple them for at least their time they are in the field. It is also a gerat matchup vs. Stealth Rock leads since it beats most of them barring Archeops, who will be scared of Scarf Thunderbolt, and Druddigon. It also works really good to finish off stuff like Alomomola and other bulky water and/or ground Types.
I paired this up with Offensive SubRoost Moltres and LO 4 attacks Durant and they work really good together, each weakening their checks.

Rotom-Mow @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Thunder Fang
- Superpower

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Head

Druddigon @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Aqua Tail
- Gunk Shot
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Some replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-135715028 Rotom putting in work despite hax not being on my side (and some misplyas by me)

Last edited:
Reporting day 1 of laddering:

upload_2014-6-28_13-13-18.png

I may try to get reqs on this account, as I've been doing pretty well getting a decent 16-4 record. Mismagius is a fun pokemon to use, this is the set I've been using:

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

This is one of the best sets for Mismagius in my opinion, sporting a solid 105 Speed stats, and a solid 105 Special Attack, it can be a pretty good sweeper lategame or early game, as it can set up on pokes like Bronzong, Registeel predicting something like a Toxic or a T-Wave. I run Leftovers over Life Orb as Sub with Life Orb is just suicidal. This set is a SubNP set, the best set for this ghost in my opinion, at +2 you pretty much OHKO anything with Shadow not named Registeel or Amoonguss. The coverage move is Dazzling Gleam, Dazzling Gleam is a phenomenal coverage move as it hits Dark type slike Zoroark, Spiritomb, Sharpedo, Pangoro, etc. It hits Druddigon super effectively and all the fighting types in the tier. Ghost and Fairy it's pretty much unresisted in the tier, I think Pyroar is the only one that resists it, but I haven't seen much Pyroar in the ladder. Mismagius is really underrated in my opinion, it's really good, give it a try!

Good luck in this research week ,guys! Have Fun!

EDIT: replay vs CoolStoryBrobat http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-135883974

GG dude, sorry for the Rock Blast miss in the end.

Last edited:
During my stint of using Tyrantrum previously, all I can say is that it was STRONG. I never ever had time to get up a ddance, but LO attacks with that crazy strong jaw coverage were fantastic. I feel as if it may be best to simply ditch setup if trying to use tyrantrum and simply go with lo 4-attack or something of that nature. Perhaps a scarf set? I'm not sure atm. I do think that dragon coverage in ru is rather useless on a mon like tyrantrum. Stone edge or even head smash alongside some fangs is much more effective. Its fire/flying resistances give it more switchin ops that would be expected.
Four attacks + Expert Belt works pretty well with some prediction skills. I run Crunch, Ice Fang, Fire Fang, and Stone Edge, but you can mix and match with some of its other moves I guess.

Ok the week is almost over and i really liked the discussion here as there were some really good posts. Remember to submit your score or edit in the name of the alt you have used. Don't stop posting!

Last edited:
Oh whoops I got so distracted by making a decent team that I totally forgot to battle on my alt xD
I'll try to do some battles and get a few replays.

Reactions: g
Ok i did /rank for everyone as nobody submit anything and i guess the winner is Xenoblade911. I'll post week 2 as soon as i can.
Some mod can lock this pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)