XY Little Cup: New Choice Band/Specs Users

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Naturally, being locked into a move your foe resists or is immune to is bad, which is why you don't lock yourself into Thunderbolt and KO something while your opponent still has a Ground-type left, or lock yourself into Earthquake and KO something while they have a Pokemon remaining that has a Ground immunity. A lot of the hate Choice Band/Specs has been getting is because of the limitations it puts on the holder in situations like these. That's a no-brainer. My intentions were not to promote poor playing with this thread. You still have to use your head. Choice Band/Specs is not a good idea unless you either have a move that switches items with the foe to cripple them (Trick or Switcheroo), a move that lets you keep momentum (U-turn or Volt Switch) or both. You can enjoy the instant +1 power boost while you're not doing either of those things, but you also have to predict well and be mindful of your opponent's remaining team before you lock yourself into something undesirable. A player who thinks in battle knows when and how to take advantage of the instant +1 boost without getting him/herself into a jam.

tl;dr: You're only limited by Choice Band/Specs if you're dumb enough to lock yourself into a move that will allow the opponent a free switch/turn. The instant +1 boost you get when you're not VoltTurning or switching items is amazing. ♥

"blah blah it's so much safer/better to just go with LO"

^ Refer to the bottom segments in the OP.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
About Taillow Specs:

Taillow reaches 12 SpA with a neutral nature; this is boosted to 18 with Choice Specs. It has a special, STAB, 140 BP move.
With Guts, Taillow reaches 22 Atk, and has a STAB, 140 BP move. Sure, Specs takes no recoil from Flame ORb, but Taillow can last for a few turns (11 I believe, if 36 HP EV's, meaning 8 with SR up) with it anyway.

I've been using Taillow a lot, and I prefer the Choice Specs version~ I run an odd set however, but I have to go, so I'll just say it has Boomburst / U-Turn / Defog / Hidden Power [Fire]. Will write this up in a few hours.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
About Taillow Specs:

Taillow reaches 12 SpA with a neutral nature; this is boosted to 18 with Choice Specs. It has a special, STAB, 140 BP move.
With Guts, Taillow reaches 22 Atk, and has a STAB, 140 BP move. Sure, Specs takes no recoil from Flame ORb, but Taillow can last for a few turns (11 I believe, if 36 HP EV's, meaning 8 with SR up) with it anyway.
Whittling down your own health with Toxic/Flame Orb is not good when you don't have to. Taillow is reasonably fast (19 Speed), so the danger is not simply taking damage, it's taking priority attacks. Every turn that passes while using Toxic/Flame Orb only makes Taillow easier to kill with one.

Furthermore, how would you beat Honedge or get past Rock- or Steel-types? I've never seen a Toxic Orb Facade Guts Taillow set with any Special Attack investment or HP Fighting, and even if you applied it, the sheer lack of special offensive presence without Specs wouldn't allow you to hit them hard enough and you'd be beaten by them. Sure, you could U-turn out, but think about the possibility of Stealth Rock being on the field, and the fact that they will get a free turn, knowing you are forced to flee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)