Xatu (Skeleton)

Xatu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Overview]

<p>Generation V and the Dream World were kind to Xatu, giving it the amazing ability Magic Bounce, which acts as a perpetual Magic Coat. While Xatu may not seem like much compared to the only other Magic Bounce user, Espeon, Xatu holds several advantages in a vast support movepool and useful resistences due to it's secondary Flying-type. Xatu is a very capable Pokemon if you play it to it's strengths.</p>

[Set 1]
name: Dual Screener
move 1: Roost
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: U-turn / Psychic / Night Shade
item: Light Clay
ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: Impish / Bold
evs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD

[Set Comments]

<p>Xatu is a prime choice for a Dual Screener, thanks to it's amazing ability, Magic Bounce, which prevents it from being Taunted. This, along with it's ability to bounce back entry hazards, make it a great asset to offensive and defensive teams alike. Xatu itself is very hard to take out thanks to it's balanced defenses, especially when aided by Reflect and Light Screen. Roost is a must for Xatu to keep itself alive.</p>

<p>The last moveslot is variable. U-turn allows it to gain instant momentum by switching in one of it's allies for free, as Xatu will frequently be slower than it's opponents. Psychic does good damage to the plethora of Fighting-types in OU, making it a solid choice. Night Shade is available if you'd rather hit for a good, consistent 100 HP damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The spread is to give it the most balanced overall defenses, including making sure it can't be 2HKOed (before screens) by standard defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Vaporeon, Skarmory, Forretress, and Blissey. With Screens up, nothing without a strong, super effective STAB move will be able to take it out.</p>

<p>Toxic could be used in the last slot, but becoming set-up bait for Steel-types is generally a bad idea. Xatu has problems with Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, so pairing it up with a strong Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Machamp, Terrakion, or Conkeldurr, is a good idea. Strong Electric-types like Thundurus and Jolteon give Xatu hell, so a Ground-type such as Garchomp or Swampert makes a good partner. Swampert in particular is a great partner, being next to impossible to kill with Xatu's screens up, as well as being a good choice to deal with Electric-types and Tyranitar. Xatu also resists Swampert's only weakness. Toxic Spikes support is worth a mention, as Xatu will have an easier time beating Jellicent and Vaporeon.</p>

[Set 2]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Featherdance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Night Shade / Hidden Power [Fire]
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe

Bloo

Banned deucer.
How's this coming along? I'd like to see some updates within the next few days, you've had enough time to get up a skeleton!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove Wish support. Because of Wish's new mechanics involving the user's HP, there are much better options for this, including the already bulky Jirachi. I am also quite iffy on the use of Calm Mind on the physically defensive set, mainly because it detracts from Xatu's purpose. Irf you are going to mention Calm Mind, it has much competition with other users such as Jirachi (again), Espeon, and Reuniclus.

Remove Wish support. Because of Wish's new mechanics involving the user's HP, there are much better options for this, including the already bulky Jirachi. I am also quite iffy on the use of Calm Mind on the physically defensive set, mainly because it detracts from Xatu's purpose. Irf you are going to mention Calm Mind, it has much competition with other users such as Jirachi (again), Espeon, and Reuniclus.
Noted about the Wish set. I felt it was a little questionable, but it was an option. Wish will get a mention when I write an Other Options section, however.

I think there should be more emphasis on why one should use Xatu over Espeon. I don't like the parafusion set nor the physically defensive set, a lot of Pokemon do that better than Xatu and Magic Bounce just doesn't seem to be enough of a reason to use it.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Moral of the story:

"Face it: the only reason we're using Xatu is because of its ability, Magic Bounce. Looking past this, Xatu really is a mediocre Pokemon, facing competition from other Psychic-types usch as its fellow Magic Bounce user: Espeon. While Xatu doesn't exactly stand out in OU, it does have a few quirks and gears to go along with it. When using Xatu, use the best it can do."

Roost, better defence, an extra type, and U-turn. That's why you use Xatu over Espeon. You should be running this:

name: Dual Screener
move 1: Roost
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: U-turn
item: Light Clay
Nature: Impish
evs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD

Almost even defences (by 1) and you can survive 4 switch-ins to Stealth Rock. By all means you can change the EVs to suit the metagame. It also likes Wish and Rapid Spin support and can switch into locked Earthquakes.

The primary advantage that Xatu has over Espeon is recovery (Espeon has morning sun but it only has half the PP and gets screwed in Rain and Sandstorm), immunity to ground, and slightly higher defense.

For the Dual Screener Night Shade should go over Psychic because Xatu doesn't have the special attack to do any damage unless some evs are invested. Or at least it helps to distinguish Xatu from Espeon.

Tyranitar, I want to see some more analysis on why the physically defensive and paraflinch Xatu sets you posted are useful. They are indeed stuff that Espeon can't do, but are they viable in OU?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've had a LOT of success with featherdance. Slash it somewhere on the physically defensive set, possibly over reflect.

Why reflect? Featherdance can be used multiple times.

Make sure you mention Toxic Spikes support + Featherdance. It is VERY easy to stall out Tyranitar with that combination and keep bing a prick to the rest of their team

I've had a LOT of success with featherdance. Slash it somewhere on the physically defensive set, possibly over reflect.

Why reflect? Featherdance can be used multiple times.
The opponent can switch out for starters but with entry hazard support, I can see it working. Reflect is to help out the team.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
definitely use night shade over psychic and put featherdance in other options, also state that toxic spikes are greatly appreciated.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
No, Don't put featherdance in other options. It's one of Xatu's most useful moves.

I can't say how many times scizor has tried to set up swords dances on my xatu, and FD stops him in his tracks. If he tries to get an attack in, he's stuck at -2. If you want to use reflect go for the dual screen set.

I'd switch reflect and FD on the physically defensive set. i.e. FD / Toxic / Reflect.

Also, I would use psychic over night shade. One of Xatu's biggest uses besides magic bounce is the 4x resist to fighting. That set does around 70% to Conkeldurr. That means its a pretty reliable counter if you have some prior damage. Same with breloom and other fighting types barring scarfty. Xatu lets it hit what? Blissey? I personally run psychic and HP fire, since anything which resists both shouldn't be stayed in on in the first place. OK, you wont hit chasney and special walls, but they cant hit you either really.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Replace the current physically defensive set with this:

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: FeatherDance / Toxic
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe

Speed EVs are for the 245 tier.

Xatu can do lots of other stuff too. He gets U-turn, twave, trick, calm mind, haze, tailwind, trick room and baton pass. How many of these would be viable though?

Scarf/specs? IIRC trick is incompatible with magic bounce, but you could run u-turn / psychic / hp fire / roost.

I think that the physically defensive set is Xatu's best bet. Roost, psychic and HP fire are all shoe-ins, and the last slot could be OO estate. U-turn, twave, CM, haze and tailwind could all work on the set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)