Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Just passing by to ask if someone is on the works for a QC of Gourgeist. I'd like to give it a try but if one is already working on it, then continue on.
I called that I was QC'ing it a few days ago. Still have yet to finish one of them since it's kindof on the backburner at the moment, but I am currently in the process of tackling it in all sizes.

Legitimate Username : Yeah, I was having some issues with the claws for sure. I couldn't find any good way to make them look better after six hours of work, so I just thought I'd throw them up and see what comments people would shoot my way. I definitely agree that they still require fine-tuning. Maybe some time today and tomorrow I can fiddle with them for another hour and come up with a batch of seven-eight shading jobs and see which ones you guys would prefer. Mainly just looking for ideas atm though. Speaking of which, I'll try to incorporate "more sharp" into the renovations. Thanks for the tip. +)

Last edited:

Spritzee and Aromatisse both had too many colours.

Just passing by to ask if someone is on the works for a QC of Gourgeist. I'd like to give it a try but if one is already working on it, then continue on.
I was going to ask you to fix Gourgeist since you did Pumpkaboo, but since aXl took that up, how does doing Honedge and/or revamping Hawlucha sound?

Is anyone going to make a sprite for Sticky Web? I know it's not super pertinent, but it seems weird that there isn't one when there is a sprite for Spikes and Stealth Rock.
That's a good question. If we do it, it would be low priority.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus

Don't mind me just making sure shiny stuff works, princessofmusic does this slightly modified aroma still work for you?

Also you'll see on the chart a lot of animations have hit their approval.
I really like the Pancham's animation. Looks pretty good. I love Froakie's rare animation. The idle animation needs some fixing tho, but yeah. I like it!

EDIT: Are Aromatisse's shiny eye supposed to look like that?

First off, let me start with some appropriate music. "Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn" by Johannes Brahms. Yes, I did take Music Appreciation in high school this year. It was horrible.

One glance below should explain very well why that music is appropriate. Listed below are 12 Mega Scizor edits, each with slightly different claw shading techniques. I decided the best way to deal with this shading issue, since I had no idea what to make for it, was to just shotgun it.

Scizors from this list should be accordingly referred to as A3, B1, etc. The claws on the left side do not necessarily match the shading of the claws on the right, so be sure to specify which claw you all prefer on whichever variation you're talking about. Oh yeah, and C4 is the original unedited Mega Scizor.

If anything, this will at least help to give me a good idea of what people are looking for. So yeah, have fun with this. I'm going to go and continue work on Dragalge's backsprite, something I have been neglecting for the past two days due to needing a short break from spriting. I'll check back on this in awhile. I also recently noticed I need to fix the angling on his legs a tad, so I'll probably fix that during the next update as well.

In other news, this took two hours, meaning the time I've invested in this QC has officially spat in Mega Aggron's rotated face. yay...

truedrew

Banned deucer.
guys i discovered another amazing professional image editor which is fully online and free as of this post im posting a link below and what a great job on the sprites keep it up!
http://ipiccy.com/

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
I' ve reanimated the sylveon sprite. What do you thik?
OLD

NEW
Thanks. The new one looks so much better. Now for the back sprite and it's all good Forgot we use the same back
First off, let me start with some appropriate music. "Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn" by Johannes Brahms. Yes, I did take Music Appreciation in high school this year. It was horrible.

One glance below should explain very well why that music is appropriate. Listed below are 12 Mega Scizor edits, each with slightly different claw shading techniques. I decided the best way to deal with this shading issue, since I had no idea what to make for it, was to just shotgun it.

Scizors from this list should be accordingly referred to as A3, B1, etc. The claws on the left side do not necessarily match the shading of the claws on the right, so be sure to specify which claw you all prefer on whichever variation you're talking about. etc.
I would go for 3B's left claw and 2C's right claw, because of where the light is coming from, so the lighting / shading combine the best of the sprites.
The shading needs some polishing to have that Gen V look, but yeah, looks almost done, along with the things you would improve there.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Left claw 4A. Right claw 2A. No question about it whatsoever.
When this decision is finalized, I'll probably make some final edits to the claws. The frontsprite's is still in need of some changes, though they are much more minor than all the hard work you've done here. I also haven't yet checked how well the perspective of the claws matches from front to back, which was something that troubled me a lot when I first worked on it.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here are all the reasons I will be using the current version of Sylveon rather than the N-Kin/Ridaz one

There all seven reasons.

Just looks like in fits it much more than

I think you should add a bit more movement to its legs. Its back legs doesnt budge at all and when you look at the other eeveelutions they all move in a certain way. The front legs have to be fixed as well. Finally, the ribbon that goes over its ear shouldnt move like that since its not attached. Think it would move like the rest of the ribbons regardless of how the ear moves. I think I can make its legs move more like the other eevees and fix the ribbon if you dont mind me taking a stab at it.

Edit: One more thing. Half of its bow moves with the ear while the other half doesnt. But sure you could handle sylveon then Legitimate Username

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Typhlito, the current animation takes elements from Sylveon's in-game motions and Eevee's BW sprite. Fixing the legs would take no more than five minutes for me since the parts are already split, I'll get that done when I can (may not be for a short while, I have some stuff to do). Splitting the ribbon you mentioned will be a bit more trouble for something wrapped around an ear that literally moves the most minimal possible distance out of place, but I do see a way it can be improved, so I'll probably end up doing it too.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Here are all the reasons I will be using the current version of Sylveon rather than the N-Kin/Ridaz one

There all seven reasons.

Just looks like in fits it much more than

seleccion, those look nice, but we already opted not to use N-Kin's sprites.
I see your point, but, I just feel like there's something left here. I just know this can be improved, by picking the quality of both sprites and turn it into Gen 5 style. Is it the contrast? Amount of outlines? the eyes?~

Also, I forgot about this QC made by RedRooster. What about this one? It's getting closer to the Gen V look, IMO

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm just going to post here remarking that the 2013 Smog Awards have categories for Best Spriter and Best Sprite. Which without saying much will probably come from this project. Without influencing the vote too much I'll just say I'm considering the difference between the singular sprite and the overall work of a spriter. I also did not ask nor expect this to happen.

The vote is on the top of the forums also here: http://www.smogon.com/smog/awards/nominations

Those other voting categories are also cool too I guess. I'll update the sprite generator http://www.smogon.com/teambuilder/sprite_generator with the latest updates as well as PS to better reflect the current status overall. Chart should be good too of course.

I think you should add a bit more movement to its legs. Its back legs doesnt budge at all and when you look at the other eeveelutions they all move in a certain way. The front legs have to be fixed as well. Finally, the ribbon that goes over its ear shouldnt move like that since its not attached. Think it would move like the rest of the ribbons regardless of how the ear moves. I think I can make its legs move more like the other eevees and fix the ribbon if you dont mind me taking a stab at it.

Edit: One more thing. Half of its bow moves with the ear while the other half doesnt. But sure you could handle sylveon then Legitimate Username
I think that sylveon would has movement at back legs, but I wanted to conserve the old version, beacuse i like the back animated sylveon.

PD: I would like to see your fix version ;)

OK, so here are the current drafts of Mega Scizor with the claw vote finished up. Top Scizor come from Legitimate Username and toxicroaker's votes, the second from Ridaz's vote. Currently thinking I like the former a tad bit better as a set, but yeah. Also, did the small leg fixes I had wanted to do before, as the previous legs on the backsprite felt like they were weirdly bent. Tried to make them a bit more of a weird curve and more of an angle.

Anywho, I had no idea Smogon even had an annual forum awards nomination. Huh. Well, I put in my three votes that I actually felt I have a say in.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES

Might as well share these now. The backsprites are almost done, except I need to completely realign one of the jaws, so it may take a while longer. This leaves the fronts still open to possible changes, and feel free to let me know if you see room for improvement here.

The shiny isn't a direct recolour, but I have plans for how I'll be able to handle it when redoing the animation.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES

Typhlito, here ya go. Fixed all the stuff you mentioned. It took about fifteen minutes total, but I got delayed yesterday because something awesome was on TV.

Honedge is good, but it definitely needs a bit of work. I'll get to that when I have time.

Mawile is done, I just gotta set up the animation files as a means of double-checking that there are no careless errors. I'm aiming for tomorrow or the day after.

On a whim I wanted to redo Hawlucha, just cause he's grown on me this gen.

I took this guy's artwork (here) (I'm asking permission I haven't heard from him yet though) and used it as a base for a new hawlucha sprite, shading it to match the top down light source the older sprites use. I've just started to animate it, and after realizing the back sprite needs to match I'll do that as well.

As you can see the idle stance it bit different than the in game one (its based off the art), I hope thats not problematic. If its any consolation I'll make him/her flap his wings up after a couple of cycles of an idle animation when I animate him.

Comments, concerns, and criticisms are welcome!

With all that pardon if I'm breaking any rules or steppin on anyone's toes without knowing it.

I'm just going to post here remarking that the 2013 Smog Awards have categories for Best Spriter and Best Sprite.
Are those two categories new this year, or were they part of past Smog Awards?

The Skiddo and Gogoat sprites currently on the chart aren't direct palette swaps, but these should be. The Gogoat on the right is a QC of Siiilver's Gogoat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)