SS OU Wrath of the Former King

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey guys. I made this team around a threat that I think is incredibly underrated in ou. The former king himself, Tyranitar. It's kinda sad since the moment weather was no longer permanent, Tyranitar almost immediately dropped from topping the usage stats. Things only got worse for it when pursuit was removed because someone at gamefreak got traumatized of using their Latis. Whoever that guy probably got ptsd and they didn't want to relive those moments when they added Dragapult in the game

While Tyranitar can no longer feast on Dragapult, its main attacking stat is still higher that both Garchomp and Tapu Lele's with a stab combination that is spammable as fuck as even resists get butchered by it real hard

:corviknight::heatran::slowbro::tapu lele::Tyranitar::garchomp:

:choice band::sm/tyranitar::choice band:
Sand Stream
40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Lash Out
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Starting things off is the former king himself. In all honesty, it's kind sad to think about how Tyranitar dropped off in gen eight. The ashes of history have finally gotten to it after two decades. Be that as it may, Tyranitar still has its own unique qualities that make it such a huge pain. All mourning aside, the ev spread was posted in the metagame discussion which you can find here so I won't go into details what it does. Stone miss is obvious as the main stab while lash out is to make sure Landorus regrets ever switching in. Fire punch is Ferrothorn because if you tell me you don't hate playing against Ferrothorn then you're a horrible liar. Earthquake is just for Heatran. Lash out does too much on Garchomp anyway

:colbur berry::sm/slowbro::colbur berry:
Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Body Press
- Slack Off
- Flamethrower

If there is one pokemon that Tyranitar truly hates, it is Moistshifu. All the moves this guy uses straight up hurts Tyranitar so to remedy that is Slowbro. Toxapex was the original candidate but then both it and Tyranitar just get destroyed by Garchomp. Rather than use the standard future sight nonsense, I decided to go with a bait set. Weavile is highly annoying so having a bait for it is really nice. It also helps against some random Bisharps and more importantly, can stave off Garchomp, temporarily anyway. Ice beam is to actually be able to kill Chomp while flamethrower is for Ferrothorn. Again, I fucking hate Ferrothorn and if it were up to me, I would ban it to ag just because it is so annoying. I hate durians in real life and I most certainly hate durians in pokemon

:rocky helmet::ss/corviknight::rocky helmet:
Pressure
248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Body Press

While Urshifu is no longer a problem, most of the time, Rillaboom and Kartana most certainly are. So I did the single most sane response to them, metal birb. I spam this mon in nearly every single team I make and everyone should already be familiar with it. Removes hazards, u turns out, irritating to kill without super effective hits blah blah blah. I just went with relaxed nature though because u turning first on an opposing Corviknight is so annoying and it ruins the point of why use this in the first place

:leftovers::sm/heatran::leftovers:
Flash Fire
252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

In this slot, I still needed a stealth rocker. Landorus is the most obvious candidate but if I do that, Kyurem just spams ice beam and there is nothing I can do about it. So, I chose Heatran instead and it has the added benefit of not losing rocks to Corviknight like Lando does. It also somewhat checks Koko but it most certaintly isn't a long term answer. For the evs, its analysis uses 24 speed evs for whatever reason and since it is possible that it might be speed crept, I decided to increase mine to 32. I'm also not going to use the trapper set because one, I don't really need to trap anything and two, I need toxic to actually handle Volcarona. Tyranitar might be able to kill it but that's too much of a risk. That's why I also went with lava plume because if I manage to burn an Urshifu or Garchomp, that's pretty much half the game in my favor

:choice scarf::sm/tapu lele::choice scarf:
Psychic Surge
28 Def / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Future Sight

With the defensive core out of the way, I still needed speed control. Dragapult was going to be my default speed control but I wanted to try something different. My team still needed a fairy resist anyway so what the hell, go with Lele. It turned out to be a good choice since this means I can contest the terrains and the weather. Aside from its stabs, I just put in future sight for the fun of it. This Lele isn't gonna brute force its way thru much anyway so why not let the support mons do that. That given spread is to hit 424 speed which gets the jump on Zeraora. The rest is dumped into defense so it can take some random u turns or earthquakes more effectively. Since it's speed control, it mostly serves as a backup sweeper in my team

:lum berry::sm/garchomp::lum berry:
Rough Skin
252 Atk / 16 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

For the final slot, I still needed an actual sweeper. And no, I do not trust Tapu Lele to do all the sweeping. In fact, the only time I would ever use a scarfer as my main sweeper is if it was Kartana. Scarfers are more prone to falling short of a kill than setup sweepers are. Also, this kind of offensive core is the one that best works for me. I would have a wall breaker, in this case, Tyranitar and speed control in Tapu Lele. The third one on my offensive core is always a setup sweeper and all the time, it is Garchomp. Every time I use another setup sweeper, I end up regretting my choice because no other pokemon as consistent as Garchomp is. It's why I spam this hero a lot since I need it on my offensive core that's made up of wall breaker + speed control + setup sweeper. In this team though, Garchomp isn't really hardcore sweeping but rather, both it and Lele just give the other the opportunity to sweep. It also gives my team a reliable way to pressure Heatran which helps Lele a lot. The ev spread I used is to outspeed base 100s. Instead of my usual yache berry, I decided to give Garchomp lum since my team already has the perfect Weavile bait and a pokemon that straight up deletes it from existence

And lastly, before I move on to the other stuff about the team, I am not going to max out the speed on Garchomp and Lele. I would rather lose a battle because I made the conscious decision to switch out than lose because of the speed tie. I don't care if there are times you have to risk a speed tie. Losing like that is one of the dumbest things in the game and it makes me not rage at the game more than I already do

Threatlist

:sm/Kyurem:

Out of all the mons, Kyurem is the one I find to be the most threatening. If I'm facing off against subroost, then I can handle it but if I am against specs, it's russian roulette time. Fortunately for me, it's not on every single team so that's a relief. In this case, I just have to pressure it with stealth rock especially since I have Heatran as my rocker, which beats every defogger that isn't some fringe Landorus

:sm/Garchomp:

Yeah, when is Garchomp ever not going to be a threat. If it is the usual lefties Garchomp, it's legit not a threat but if it's yache, it's a different story. Slowbro cannot reliably kill yache Garchomp and it can turn the team into scale shot fodders. At that point, good night. I have to make some risk Lele switch ins to deny it the opportunity but it's still a massive pain

:sm/magnezone:

It's not so much as Magnezone being a threat as the only one that will be a threat are those grasses that stick with it. Like with Kyurem, the game becomes russian roulette only ten times worse. Honestly, fuck this thing. If there was one pokemon that should have been removed, it's this one and its pre evos

:sm/pelipper: + :sm/volcanion:

On its own, this Volcanion is pretty meh. The only time it ever becomes a threat is when rain is up. I know this for a fact since before I started building this team, I was playing around with rain Volcanion and both Ferrothorn and Toxapex cannot withstand rain boosted hydro scalds. I do put a lot of pressure on Pelipper because of Heatran's toxic but it's still very tough

Closing Thoughts

As much as it surprised me, this team worked surprisingly well. Against anything that isn't stall, which is incredibly rare, this team performs very well. The only thing I don't really like is that I have a hard time setting up rocks because I haven't used rocks Heatran in forever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)