World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

The final proved to be a great summary of the whole world cup (especially the cup stage) - referee's mistakes affecting the outcome of the game. There have been several wrong decisions by Howard Webb, although this time at least the side refs done a decent job.

Yeah, because playing a whole game, from the first half, with 11 players against the greatest midfield of this World Cup when they should've played with 10, is not a blatant error from the referee.

Lots of other referees would've sent him off directly, and Netherlands would certainly lose from a lot more. Gourcuff received a straight red card for much less than this. Trying to ignore this, and say Spain was favoured a lot more in the game, is straight absurd.

Edit: Greatly deserved Golden Ball for Diego Forlán.

Yeah, because playing a whole game, from the first half, with 11 players against the greatest midfield of this World Cup when they should've played with 10, is not a blatant error from the referee.

Lots of other referees would've sent him off directly, and Netherlands would certainly lose from a lot more. Gourcuff received a straight red card for much less than this. Trying to ignore this, and say Spain was favoured a lot more in the game, is straight absurd.
iniesta dove more than twice that game. diving is a bookable offense. by that logic, iniesta, arguably one of the best players on spain's team and a huge part of their midfield (many people say that spain's midfield is the reason for their success), and also the scorer of the ONLY GOAL IN THE GAME, should have also been sent off. I would say that's at least as big a blow to spain as the direct sending off of the kung fu guy (whose name escapes me for now). neither happened. yes, the ref made some calls that favoured the netherlands. but on the other hand, the ref made MANY more calls that favoured spain, and ultimately the only reason they won was because of 2 of these (many) calls.

Edit: Greatly deserved Golden Ball for Diego Forlán.
Now that you mention that. I believe that Spain has been 'lucky' ever since this tournament started. As I recall, Spain received 3 yellow card till the quarter finals. Good sportmanship? Oh no. Remember that game against Honduras? Villa did even more then what Gourcuff did. What was his punishment? Nothing. Even after seeing the video the Fifa let him go.

Paruguay-Spain? Valdez was flagged offside for nothing. Paruguay not on 1-0 so Spain won that match. Shall I go on?

lol at complaining about the refereeing. Bunch of dicks on both sides. Spain with their constant theatrics and card waving, the Dutch with their fouling and brutality off the ball.

Van Bommel, De Jong and Robben should have been sent off. I don't know how any guy can complain in favour of Holland when the ref gave you the best chance possible to win the game. You just weren't good enough & didn't take your chance when it came (Robben).

Holland maybe should've gotten a free kick when Puyol held back Robben, possibly a red too and maybe a free kick for Elia but they still benefitted most from the ref.

Spain are overrated though IMO. Any half decent team would've got to the semi-final if you look at the teams they faced on the way and they haven't really played convincingly against the only two good teams they faced. And Puyol and Pique are both completely useless when a long ball gets played down the middle.

Spain are overrated though IMO. Any half decent team would've got to the semi-final if you look at the teams they faced on the way and they haven't really played convincingly against the only two good teams they faced.
I disagree here, Spain outplayed Germany, and Germany was one of the grand favourites (at least one of mine). Until that match they didn't convince me either, and tonight they didn't show a whole lot of skills either, once again getting a bunch of chances but only one of them was finished.

The only thing I'm going to say about the ref is that he made terrible mistakes for both sides. If he had been as strict as he seemed to look, we'd have played 8 vs 8 or something.

Actually, the biggest mistake made by the referee was the goal itself...

It was offside at first, ref didn't flag for it, from there Iniesta got the ball, who wasn't offside at that point and made the goal.

as for the yellow cards, most of them were indeed correctly given, I think Puyol could have gotten a second yellow but im not going to blame that.

I honestly dont understand why Heitinga got a second yellow though :| Iniesta should become an actor :P

Actually, the biggest mistake made by the referee was the goal itself...

It was offside at first, ref didn't flag for it, from there Iniesta got the ball, who wasn't offside at that point and made the goal.

as for the yellow cards, most of them were indeed correctly given, I think Puyol could have gotten a second yellow but im not going to blame that.

I honestly dont understand why Heitinga got a second yellow though :| Iniesta should become an actor :P
It wasn't offside. Just saw the replay four times in the television. They paused the play at three different moments, and in neither of them, Iniesta was offside. Then, the ball was blocked by Netherlands defense anyway and after that, it was another play where he REALLY wasn't offside.

It wasn't offside. It came from a Spain kick that should have been a corner for us, so if you want to blame the ref for that goal, you're free to use that way.

Just wanted to add lol@Torres for being so utterly useless and then injuring himself (again?(!)) out of the blue
I also lol'ed at that when I saw it. Why was he kicking a bottle of water for not being able to play, and then making a fool of himself playing like that?

It's not his fault. He wasn't ready to play, half the season he was injured. Stupid coach is stupid for subbing him in for Villa...

now what spain's coach really should have realized is that he's wasting fabregas's talent by playing him 10 minutes every game. i'd have much rather seen spain live up to their hype (which I'm sure they would have, had fabregas played) before the finals. in fact, had they played better in the games before, I'd be a lot less butthurt about them winning =(

It's not his fault. He wasn't ready to play, half the season he was injured. Stupid coach is stupid for subbing him in for Villa...
He WANTED to play, that's why he kicked a bottle of water. He was angry for not being there, playing. So yeah, it's his fault for asking to play so much if he wasn't ready.

now what spain's coach really should have realized is that he's wasting fabregas's talent by playing him 10 minutes every game. i'd have much rather seen spain live up to their hype (which I'm sure they would have, had fabregas played) before the finals. in fact, had they played better in the games before, I'd be a lot less butthurt about them winning =(
Yes, Xabi Alonso is a player less creative than Fabregas, and Fab played really well, although he should've put the game to rest when he had the chance to score or pass to Villa at his side, and he missed. But he completely corrected that giving Iniesta the assist to the goal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)