World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

It's just as anti-fair play as that was, dude.

You can't not see how equally disgusting that must feels.

Suarez took, intentionally, Ghana a clear goal. It was stolen from them. The player saw a red card? Yeah. But if Uruguay manage to win from Netherlands, he will play at the final. And the whole team of Ghana, that SHOULD be at the semi-finals, will be home.

How is that not unfair?

Henry used his hand to give France a spot at the World Cup.

How can you say that is not the same thing?

Sometimes, I simply feel that a red card alone was not enough. He should be punished the same way Leonardo was at the World Cup 1994, when he couldn't play anymore at that World Cup.

Are you guys serious lol

The ball is about to reach your goal line, you have nanoseconds to think what to do, you think "blocking it with my hand is totally not fair, I will be out of the competition but at least I'll be a fair player"??

Then Ghana is given their rightful chance to advance to semifinals, and they blow it.

Suarez = hero

Everyone right in their mind would do the same as Suárez... also it's kind of a reflex so you can't really blame him. As opposed to the sure goal Ghana got a penalty, which is theoretically the easiest thing ever and a surefire goal, easy to score for any professional, if not for the pressure. So you can say it's kinda fair, just Ghana was unable to use their chance. Also Uruguay was robbed a penalty earlier when Sarpei fouled Abreu so there's really no reason to complain..

Suarez = hero
couldn't agree more.

Errm leonardo was banned in 94 because he just broke Tab Ramos's jaw in a poke. Reflex =/= offensive agression.

Can you really say that in Henry's position you'd do any different?

It in no way means that what they did was right. Win by any means, right? Can you really say that Maradona was wrong in score a goal with his hand?

Can you see the flaw in your argument? Do you think it's fair to go out of a World Cup like this?

Anti-fair play = unfair.

In a World where everyone just speaks about fair play, winning like that is just dirty.

It in no way means that what they did was right. Win by any means, right? Can you really say that Maradona was wrong in score a goal with his hand?

Can you see the flaw in your argument? Do you think it's fair to go out of a World Cup like this?

Anti-fair play = unfair.

In a World where everyone just speaks about fair play, winning like that is just dirty.

but suarez was justly punished. the whole reason we have red cards and penalties is for situations like this. suarez did something bad, got penalized accordingly, and then his team won. when an unfair act is unpunished, that is when it's unfair. when it goes punished accordingly and accurately, you can't complain. and let's not forget, ghana's whole game up to this point has been extremely dirty. I do seem to remember ghanaian players going down for 2-3 minutes at a time against the us. it's not like they can complain. they also had their chance to win easily, but didn't capitalize. nobody can complain, even if it was a douchebag maneuver

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
But Maradona and Henry weren't sent off and their team had no penalty 1 minute before the end against them
If Gyan scores noone would complaine, so you see, it's Gyans fault

Errm leonardo was banned in 94 because he just broke Tab Ramos's jaw in a poke. Reflex =/= offensive agression.
I never said that Suárez won't be punished and I'm pretty sure he'll get at least banned for 2 games. Also I think there's quite a difference between breaking someones jaw by reflex or preventing the ball from going into goal by reflex.

The issue with those two actions is that they were blatant handballs that didn't get sanctioned by the referee. Suarez's handball was sanctioned and his team got the correct punishment according to the rules.

Also, there was a clear penalty not given to Uruguay after a foul on Abreu.

I'm not going to get into the whole handball and penalty drama, I just want to say I really enjoyed the rest of the Paraguay/Ghana match. Constant switches between dominance for one and the other, excellent counters and passes (not all the time, but enough to keep me entertained). Ghana just kept trying to reach the goal until the very last second, now that's dedication. Really, both sides deserved to take a win home for various moments.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh I hate Suarez with a passion, he's everything that's wrong with soccer.

But still. Handball Hero!!

If only Suarez would take a few lessons in classiness from Forlan.

also that was the most exciting 5 minutes in this entire world cup. i was personally rooting for uruguay so i was out of my seat the entire time.

how is suarez a hero, hes more of a pussy cheater. the ball was going in 100% and he stopped it with his hand, WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED IN FOOTBALL IF YOU ARE NOT AWARE and basically stole a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT GOAL FROM THEM which isnt fair at all

people like him make this world cup suck and now hes hated by the whole of africa

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
how is suarez a hero, hes more of a pussy cheater. the ball was going in 100% and he stopped it with his hand, WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED IN FOOTBALL IF YOU ARE NOT AWARE and basically stole a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT GOAL FROM THEM which isnt fair at all

people like him make this world cup suck and now hes hated by the whole of africa
It's now allowed...and that's why as several people have pointed out in this topic he was given a red card and ghana was given a penalty kick. sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to win and sacrificing the ability to play in the semifinals just so your team has a chance to win is extremely unselfish and something I wouldn't actually have expected from suarez. (i mean he doesn't play in the semis if his team loses and it goes in anyway but i would have expected suarez to try to stop the ball in a lower percentage way that means he'd be able to play in the next game if it worked)

He just turned the 100% goal into his own sending off (and missing at least the next match) and the best possible chance at a goal from a set piece.

Also, since he could block it with his hand anyway, it wasn't a 100% goal.

that is the stupidest thing i have read in this thread
thanks for your well thought out argument, but you might want to stop hating on "soirez", it's bad

edit: props to Gyan anyway, takes balls to take the first penalty in the shootout after that huge fuck up, plus he's a great player that carried Ghana to this point in the tournament in the first place

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)