ORAS UU Windfall

Hi. I'm Nightingales, the one and only shithead who went to basic only to be sent back home because of my appendix. Well, I'm here, I had surgery, and took advantage of my down time to mess about with some teams that really never went anywhere. Then I asked around, and Hogg said "Band Haxorus." Somebody else said Specs Kyurem, so.

The teambuilding was pretty simple. Haxorus and Kyurem are both kinda slow compared to some things like Sceptile, which actually puts a damper on a massive chunk of the team. So I looked to the chat again, and the chat was talking about how Galvantula was bad and lo and behold, life orb Galvantula. The good set, guys. By now, I was looking at Faeries and how threatening they were, and I wanted hazards as well, so I went with Registeel due to how absolutely massive the thing's defenses are, and the utility it can provide. Tentacruel, the core destroyer, is almost always useful and never simply dead weight. Though lacking in power, it can be good against some teams and just plow through them. Last mon was looking for a decent win condition, and Gatr came up just because of how well it worked in the past for me.

After that, it was just minor twists and tweaks.​

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
Starting off with the star of the team, Band Haxorus absolutely demolishes things. Unless you have a fairy to switch into Outrage or something (and I'll never click it if you actually do), the dragon can put a massive dent in almost the entire tier, ohkoing a massive amount of it and likely 2hkoing the rest. Anything it can't, the rest of the team puts on ice, and there's nothing that this thing really fears. Granted, Ice Shard does a massive amount, but Mamoswine plays a 50/50 game with it because it dies to an Outrage and if it clicks Icicle Crash it does nothing because it's already dead for the most part.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
The partner in crime to Haxorus, Specs Kyurem absolutely ruins so many things it's not even funny. I've had somebody try and set up Calm Mind as a Sableye and still get OHKO'd by a Draco Meteor. That proves the point I need to make. However, it also helps that Kyurem has a way to hit Steel Types very well, 2hkoing at worst the tier's bulkiest and removing a plethora of fat Ground, Grass, and other annoying things that Haxorus can't hit because they're too physically defensive. Not for ice dragon, they're not.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
Now a massive weakness of the two before is that they're somewhat easily outsped. My solution is simple; slow them down. Grounded threats find themselves preyed upon by Galvantula, and Sticky Webs are invaluable against offense since it slows threats down to a point where they can just be systematically eliminated. And despite that 97 SpA, Thunder does a ton to a lot of them, and backed up by Bug Buzz and Energy Ball, I can hit most of the tier for at least some damage. A useful tool for cleaning up as well since by then, the rest of the team is likely fast threats that need to be slowed down.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- Protect
Registeel might be pretty passive, and you're right to say it doesn't have a place on super-offensive teams. But I like it and how it works, and it provides me with a Fairy check that can actually spread some damage around with Toxic, since I'll likely have Webs down by the point it comes into the game. But the biggest supporting fact is that it has such a massive bulk that it actually shrugs off some super effective hits and keeps on going. I can get behind that since it means I'll probably be in and out of it. Yes, I know it could use some wish support, but playing the way I do, I don't have enough long-term planning to pull that off just yet.
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
The core shredder. The destroyer of worlds. The maker of widows. The Japanese Adult Star. The list of things this thing can do is somewhat short, but it's effective in how it does it. Being unfazed by the stat drops Sticky Webs bring and absorbing Toxic Spikes as soon as it hits the field, Core Shredder also OHKOs most of the ground-types that gives my team hell and outruns most to boot. Being able to spin on practically anything helps its' case as well, since that means I can get hazards off the field and something potentially hazard-weak in that much faster.

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
People will look at that and ask, 'why the hell is there a lum berry'. Because of a Teambuilder mistake, in all honesty. But I saw a chance in it - I could actually set up on a lot of the things that would try to fish for a Scald burn, and if I was lucky enough, actually boost to something like +4 for just proceed to sweep then and there. Otherwise, packing a mostly normal set. And yes, I'm aware Gyarados is typically better. But another thing is useful - not being rocks weak. That means Mega Aerodactyl doesn't have yet another thing to murderfy.

Now looking at the team, I know I don't have any ground immunity or whatever. Mostly, I just play around it and try not to give them any chance to get in until I'm in a position to kill them all.

Anyways, this was just a quick little thing that I had some fun and success with around, and actually look to improve it. Have fun, RMT people!

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- Protect

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Just an idea here- you could swap out registeel for nidoqueen. Although this makes your team very offensive, I have found that nidoqueen's standard set or perhaps t-spikes is a great response to common hazard removers like crobat (ice beam), forretress (earth power), donphan (ice beam), and tentactuel (earth power). By putting in nidoqueen, this puts tremendous pressure on hazard removers allowing you to keep webs, rocks, and even t-spikes on the field.

I would run-

Nidoqueen Life Orb
Modest nature
252 SpA, 76 Speed, rest in hp
-sludge wave for fairies
-earth power
-rocks/t-spikes
-ice beam

While not as bulky as registeel, I think this gives you a bulkier mon while complementing your team better.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Honestly it would probably be best in future iterations to build teams that make sense, but nevertheless:
  • Gyarados > Feraligatr is a good start to working on this team's issues, which are mainly having very limited, or next to no, answers to strong Fighting-type Pokemon, Entei, and Ground-type Pokemon. Gyarados more or less mitigates this issue.
  • Bronzong > Registeel would probably help a lot by being less reliant on Gyarados for not being weak to Ground-type attacks, and giving overall a lot better utility than Registeel due to slightly less passivity and actually being able to pivot well into Nidoqueen among other things.
Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Bounce

So I'm using ChestoResto DD Gyara here because you desperately need a cleaner that can actually pack a lot of defensive utility and have some kind of longevity over the course of the match so this is what I've come up with. The Speed EVs hit 243 Speed which is just barely over stuff creeping Honchkrow and outspeeds up to positive natured base 115 after a Dragon Dance.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam

Psywave is probably the main reason I decided on Bronzong here due to how the set damage can just be overall extremely useful while it also provides more or less the same utility Registeel does otherwise while not being weak to Ground, which is a big bonus.

I'll second Kreme's idea of using Bronzong over Registeel and Gyarados over Feraligatr. Both give you some much needed switch-ins to the likes of Mamoswine, the aforementioned Entei, and common unboosted Fighting-types. Bronzong's also handy for dealing with Celebi (sort of), since your team folds to typical Nasty Plot variants if you can't keep Sticky Webs on the field. NP variants running Shadow Ball will still be problematic however.

>

TWave P2 > LO Galvantula
Unfortunately there's still a massive hole in your team and overlooking it any further is arguably a crime. You don't have a Hydreigon switch-in. By making the change from Registeel to Bronzong, you'll have all but guaranteed that any Hydreigon variant is effectively guaranteed a KO when it comes out, since you have no way of outspeeding it bar Tentacruel vs non-Scarf sets (which will be hard-pressed to switch in regardless). The most effective way I can go about fixing this while maintaining a similar dynamic for the team is to recommend Thunder Wave Porygon2 over Galvantula. I very much understand that the team was built around capitalizing on Sticky Webs, but this team's suffocating reliance on them and inability to Spinblock makes maintaining them all the more difficult. A large number of Pokemon become a huge pain in the ass for this team if Webs aren't down. Changing from Galvantula to Porygon2 gives you an effective backbone to the team in tandem with Bronzong, nullifying a large portion of those threats, and it gives you something that can be reliably tossed at (most) Hydreigon. Thunder Wave support will take the place of Sticky Webs on this team, patching up the unfortunate Speed tiers of Kyurem and Haxorus.

>

SD or Double Dance Haxorus > CB Haxorus (optional, but recommended)
Swaping Galvantula out for Porygon2 will make dealing with some bulky Water-types over the course of longer matches more difficult, specifically CroCune. Bronzong's Toxic and offensive pressure from Haxorus and Kyurem should be enough to sort the rest out however. Something that could be considered if things akin to CroCune become overbearingly difficult would be to try Swords Dance or Double Dance Haxorus over CB Haxorus. Naturally, run it with a Lum Berry to mitigate Scald burns. SD Haxorus won't immediately pack as strong of a punch as CB Haxorus would, but instead trades the opportunity of a strong initial attack for the ability to change moves and ravage slow, bulky teams (which are very common right now). Double Dance Haxorus takes that same opportunity and gives you an effective wallbreaker vs both slow and offensive teams, but will still be outsped by Scarf Hydreigon after a DD (something to keep in mind). In tandem with Porygon2's Thunder Wave support, either set becomes a menace.

Good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)