Why ME? Mixed Strategy Team - OU team.

Okay, so here goes, my most successful team to date, and the most fun to play by FAR! This team was originally built to counter breloom, but then i realised, why do I even need to, if you cant beat them, join them! All sets ARE smogon sets, so I apologize in advance for my lack of creativity. I mix up a bit of baton pass with some major annoyance on this team, and its great fun watching reactions (especially to Jirachi <3)

Lead:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD

Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Trick

This guy is GREAT. He can hit super effective on quite a few leads and he can flinch hax if need be. I usually try and keep him alive though, as trick can cripple walls and with his speed he can always hit first, which is great. Ice punch is for flyers, and its OK i suppose. 2HKOs most of the time. Fire punch is for annoying scizors and forretresses who try to switch in. Jirachi is easily my favourite lead in the Game.

Tactics vs 10 most common leads
I usually go for the iron head, to kill focus sash, and hope for the flinch, then even if it explodes I can take it without dying most of the time.
2HKO with ice punch. Taunt does nothing as I'm not going to trick anyway.
This guy makes me sad. I generally trick him, to cripple him then switch into something that can take that attack, then set up on the switch, or as they try and kill me with NVE attacks.
Jirachi - this guy is annoying. If I think he is scarfed I go to Flygon, who can take his fire punches and Earthquake for a OHKO, or I go for fire punches myself. This is a bit luck based.
Switch into gyarados, who can take anything this guy throws at him. Fire and fighting - NVE and even grass knot can't KO this bulky guy. I always dragon dance first turn as I know I cant be killed by him.
This guy can be annoying, especially as he will almost certainly form part of a BP team. Luckily he himself is not a danger, and I can 2HKO with ice punch(including focus sash), or generally what i do is ice punch once, then go to forretress, set up SR and then Explode to break the BP chain. As he takes 50% DMG from SR he's pretty much dead after that , and cannot set up a second BP chain.
Can be annoying, especially with a focus sash. I usually go for fire or ice punch, which usually OHKOs, and Jirachi outspeeds her, but focus sash is a bitch. Luckily I can usually just switch into flygon after Jirachi eats the sleep, and "revenge kill" her (although jirachi is only sleeping) if sleep powder misses, then its goodbye :).
Set up fodder for gyarados, I can switch in with impunity and begin dancing away, just need to watch out for roar.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant

252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Bounce
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge

The STAR of the team. After one Dragon Dance, this guy is nearly unstoppable. After two he IS unstoppable. This guy is a great heatran counter, is able to OHKO machamp with bounce, is able to avoid explosion if i predict bounce right, and generally cause a lot of damage. Stone edge is for opposing Gyarados. Unfortunately the accuracy sucks, but it really can't be helped, nothing else is going to OHKO that Gyarados.

Chuck Norris the Smeargle @ Salac Berry
244HP/12 Def/252 Speed
Own Tempo

Substitute
Belly Drum
Spore
Baton Pass

This guy is AMAZING. If I can get a spore, substitute, belly drum and then baton pass off (Easier than it sounds), whoever receives it just becomes a GOD! I prefer to pass it to Gyarados or Breloom, as they aren't restricted by Choice Scarf - Even Max Atk Earthquake on Flygon can't kill something that's flying/levitating. Jirachi is OK, but he can't really OHKO people, so he is a last resort. Once this guy has given someone this massive boost, its GG. I've never been outspeeded, or failed to OHKO something with this boost.

IED the Forretress @ Shed Shell
IVs - 0 Spe
252 HP/112 Atk /144 Def
Relaxed

Explosion
Payback
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock

This guy is my rapid spinner and entry hazard layer. I used to have spikes, but stealth rock is so much better, hitting everyone and needing less set up. It also break focus sash which is great. Payback is a decent move, powerful enough to break substitutes, and even better when Forretress gets hit. Explosion is to go out with a bang, which is great fun, and is useful as a way to get rid of very annoying pokemon.

Magic the Breloom @ Poison Orb
Adamant
Poison Heal
12HP/252 Atk/244 Spe

Substitute
Seed Bomb
Spore
Focus Punch

Ah, the good old subpuncher set that we all know and love/hate. It's the perfect counter to all the most used special walls that are out there - Blissey and Snorlax are put to sleep, then OHKOd or 2HKOD with focus punch! Spore is also a GREAT move, especially as I heal 13-14% HP each turn I can actually stall pretty well with this set, but i generally don't need to to be honest. This guy is an annoyer and sweeper of the highest class, and easily deserves a place on this team.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 Atk /252 Spe / 4 SpD

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Outrage
U-Turn

A great scouter, revenge killer and counter for dragon types. Even though he gets PWNED by ice, I really like this guy, not least because he looks cool :). He also adds a very needed electric resistance to the team, and outspeeds pretty much everything. He's a very solid poke, capable of taking quite a few hits, but unfortunately ice is a pretty common type. Mamoswine is especially dangerous due to STAB priority ice shard.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

THe sets look good, but Bounce, IMO, shouldn't be on Gyara. A two-turn move allows the opponent to switch into something that resists it. Normally, Bounce still works out fine, but perhaps HP Flying would be more up your alley. Whatever.

An Electivire wrecks this team with all three elemental punches and Brick Break.

It Fire Punches Jirachi uness you get A LOT of flinch hax.

It Brick Breaks Smeargle unless you're already subbed. But he's faster, so you would have to already be there.

Same for Breloom, but with Fire Punch. It's faster, so unless you're already subbed, it kills you.

Fire Punch will destroy Forretress before you have a chance to Explode.

Thunderpunch will bring Gyara down, because, unless you DD, he's faster. One DD is enough, but you would have to have it already.

Ice Punch will end Flygon, but you can EQ for the win. So if he catches you on an Outrage/Stone Edge, you have to switch out, then back in. as long as you EQ on the first turn, you'll be fine, but one mistake and Flygon is gone.

So there you have it. The only member of your team who is innately faster is Flygon, but no mistakes with him. I haven't calculated this, I'm estimating. Beware of Electivire! But the team looks good. :)

I use that Jirachi so much so really listen to me on this one.

Iron head ALWAYS on BOTH Aero and Azelf. 80% chance to stop them from setting up SR is really appeling.

Fire Punch doesn't really hit any lead that isn't covered by Ice Punch and Iron Head. Drop it for SR.

I use U-turn >> Trick as Jirachi functions as a mid-late game scout and revenge killer.

Iron Head Machamps, they really hate never being able to attack.

All standard Jirachi lead sets are scarfed. They don't trick as your Scarf too. So switch to Flygon and EQ.

LeadApe running Grass Knot? Someone is upset about Pert and Hippo. Not common at all.

Most Roserade leads use Sash. I personally like to Iron Head Roserade. Deals 67.6% - 79.4% and you usually flinch them.

Honestly, the rest of the team looks really nice and well put together. I just have my own personal preferences on leadRachi. Glad you use it.

**Edit Slim** Never underestimate the power of 80% Flinch on Jirachi. I've stopped DDGyara sweeps before. And Jirachi ALSO outspeeds Electrivire. At the end you made it seem like only Flygon outspeeds. That's a lie.

You're 100% right, Lucien. Whenever I'm stating Threats to a team, I always end up over-stating them. But better that than under-state, eh? Nobody's perfect, but I try.

Anyway, you said 80% chance of stopping Aero and Azelf. Were you referring to the flinch rate? It won't OHKO them, so I'll assume you were. The flinch rate is only 60%, I believe.
30% on Iron Head, 30% on Serene Grace. I gotta go, so I'll rate/complain ore later.

What do you guys think of Zen Headbutt over fire punch then? For the OHKO on machamp and some more STAB flinching? I'm not going to run SR on my jirachi cos I already have it on forretress, and I generally don't like having to spend several turns setting up entry hazards.

I'm not changing bounce, imo its really worth its place in there.

And I can actually see the Electivire Weakness, but as I have no thunder attacks I'm not going to be giving it a speed boost, and Flygon will just pwn it.

As long as you don't do anything stupid, Flygon WILL pwn Electivire. And the Bounce thing is up to you for whether it works or not.

Zen Headbutt sounds fine to me, but you should have SR somewhere. That's all.

THe sets look good, but Bounce, IMO, shouldn't be on Gyara. A two-turn move allows the opponent to switch into something that resists it. Normally, Bounce still works out fine, but perhaps HP Flying would be more up your alley. Whatever.
HP Flying is special, aka useless on Gyarados.

Really? Hidden Power was physical in 3rd gen. I don't know much on fourth. And no, I don't need you to tell me "In that case, you probably shouldn't rate teams." I already know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)