What does Smogon want in a competitive metagame?

**This going to be largely stream of counciousness and tl;dr. I ask the you PLEASE read what I have to say before posting in this thread. In all honesty, I don't only want your opinion on what you think a competitive metagame is supposed to be. I want your answer in the context of the question I'm going to ask in the end of this thread(hint-hint for those who hate reading)**

After reading most of the UU thread, hearing theories on what the purpose of OU and UU are, and seeing that about every 2 months, bandwagons are created to unban pokes from Ubers to OU, it got me thinking.

What exactly does Smogon want for its established balanced metagames? (OU and UU)

I often hear that people want a competitive metagame that produces the most variety where the fewest amount of pokemon are banned. Doesn't Ubers already satisfy this desire, though? No pokemon are banned and in reagrds to variety, you can use ANY pokemon you want in your 6 member team. That seems like a lot of variety there.

But oh wait, no, people want variety AND a balanced metagame. Let me propose my first argument here:

1.) You can't be for variety and a balanced metagame. You can't increase one without decreasing the other. I define variety as having the freedom to be able to use the most options available (pretty much where you don't ban anything). Balance attempts to level out these options so, competitively, the most amount of options are viable.

My second argument is that:

2.) Although variety and balance are mutually detrimental, the Smogon community wants BOTH of these qualities in their metagame. Let me expand this further, people here at the Smogon community choose to be slightly hypocritical by choosing variety for one issue and advocating balance for the next.

Why is this bad? Because no one knows the purpose of the competitive metagame here at Smogon. If no one knows the purpose, then people will keep bringing up the issues with no consensus and, really, threads with no ultimate ideal or purpose. Good threads and (mostly) terrible threads coming up every month asking if this pokemon is OU or why Deoxys-D is in Ubers, why BL even exists, what's the deal with UU, why do we even have tiers, etc, etc.

Now why does this occur? I have deduced all of this from the posts I read at Smogon, chiefly those threads I first described. It really boils down to two sides of the competitive fence.

-The people who like Top-tiers (The people who only like winning). Top-tiers are inevitable in every competitive game. The top-tiers are the best of the best, they let skilled players win the most often in their respective game.

-The people who HATE top-tiers (The people who don't only like winning). These people are more balanced oriented. They want to see the most amount of competitively viable pokemon, and top-tiers take away from this. People want to be able to use random's like Hypno instead of Blissey because it helps the metagame not get so stagnant. These people want a competitively diverse metagame (but not necessarily full variety).

Why are so many pokemon in Ubers? Why do we even have UU here at Smogon? I thought Smogon only cared about competitive pokemon, and being competitive is all about playing to win.

Do people want the ability to choose whatever they want (playing Ubers with no Evasion/Species/Sleep) or do they want a metagame with the fewest amount of top-tiers? (Restrictions-ahoy! Lets ban everything except for Life Orb and Magikarp, at least its balanced). Please don't say you want both equally. How can you possibly make a metagame with absolute variety and balance? You must be leaning towards one side or the other, be honest with yourself.

What side are you guys on? And what do you want in your competitive Pokemon metagame?

**P.S. For the record, I'm on the Life Orb Magikarp side of the fence.

Well I can't speak for smogon itself but the reason I feel we have UU and BL for a way to help seperate things. I think everything centers around OU play. Smogon didn't create Pokemon so we have to include those pokemon like whiscash and cacturne that gamefreak created. Here at smogon we create the UU Tier not only to give every pokemon a chance at play as well as create a balanced Metagame with variety for everyone but also to seperate the pokemon for people to know what should be considered first and foremost for creating a team.

So why have an ubers tier? Well if we had no restrictions then we would have everyone with the same team pretty much of 6 ubers or so. We just move then up to a tier called uber tier and we still can use those pokemon as well as all others in uber matches but now we can play games called standard battles allowing much more variety although a more balanced game.

I feel smogon does a fine job of doing this and have both variety and balance. If you want variety play OU where every Pokemon except the 15 or so ubers that are banned can be used as well as an equal game where everyone has a chance with so many different pokemon.

paper logic is used a lot for pokemon so we can tell who is too powerful for standard play and for uu play without actually testing first. That is why we have threads come up about this.

i'm with originality, to me currently i battle the same squads with what 1-2 pokes differance? i would like to see an evolving metagame rather then what to me is turning into a stale metagame, all this talk of moving things down, ubers should not be coming down, left right and centre, i dont see what harm moving a pokemon or 2 up for a month would do to a metagame that is become stale. i enjoy playing but there is only so many bronzongs and garchomps one can take before getting annoyed, in my view a game is to be enjoyed.
i have many teams trying out many differant things (UU, BL, trick room, pure BP, monos) some have been flops some have been good but i look at for example hidden power useage and see ice, electric and fighting as the only 3 of any note people use.
i think part of the reason is people reading teams on here where people say #1 on shoody and a mass of people instantly copy it. while i have no problem with people copying teams if they are new, i just wish we would give ourselves as players a gentle nudge in the creative department.

Ubers by defination should contain the pokemon deemed too unpredictable, uncounterable (wobby?) and too strong to be considered for OU, BL is similar to ubers just banning from UU, and have no problems with that format and 99% of the pokes in it.

Exactly what we have now but with Latios in OU excluding the Soul Dew item and Garchomp in Ubers.

EDIT: Latios really isn't that powerfu. Its predictable, week to Pursuit, has OU counters (lacks a fire move so any steel type will do). I mean

But in terms of UU and OU, I don't see a problem. BL should be called Uber 1 or some shit so kids realize its a tier Pokemon are banned to.

Exactly what we have now but with Latios in OU excluding the Soul Dew item and Garchomp in Ubers.

EDIT: Latios really isn't that powerfu. Its predictable, week to Pursuit, has OU counters (lacks a fire move so any steel type will do). I mean

But in terms of UU and OU, I don't see a problem. BL should be called Uber 1 or some shit so kids realize its a tier Pokemon are banned to.
Garchomp really isn't that powerful. Gets locked into a move and easily countered, and gets destroyed by Ice moves period. It's extremely predictable past a one-move/item difference.
Cases can be made for both pokes, but moving Garchomp UP and Latios DOWN? No. Some semblance of non-arbitary/aesthetic 'I like Latios, Garchomp is boring me' must be used here. Either a powerful, 'but not too powerful' poke gets moved down (with Garchomp staying), or a poke of equal level at least if not lower power level gets moved up while Latios stays Uber as well. You can't have it both ways. Yes, this may sound hypocrtical in reference to my response below, but there is no golden middle here except some sort of limbo tier etween Ubers and OU which is an... unwieldy idea.
As for the original question, I feel that Smogon aims for the Golden Middle. As much variety in standard as possible, but also as much balance as possible, without really straining either factor. I also believe that having only ~20 pokemon banned out of 480 is an excellent feat for Smogon and it's contributors, so the next year will probably see OU get set in stone more or less and UU and NU formulated well. Not too many problems.

The Latis have Flamethrower, Ambitions, and Latios also learns Earthquake so you can't even bring up Heatran as a counter.

Actually, they are stuck with HP Fire, and they suffer harshly from 4 moveslot syndrom. The Dragon Dance Latios absolutely sucks from my experience... so EQ shouldn't be seen much.

Dear xcfrisco,

I think you are correct in some of your observations. Namely in that people are at least slightly hypocritical in asking for a varied and balanced metagame. At this point I just wish people would stop asking for their favorite ubers to be moves down to OU. That's all for now.

Love, Chill.

P.S. Lati@s are uber for life.

Woah you are right. I could have sworn in Adv the Latis had flamethrower and then you could just use it in D/P. Well thats news to me.

Still you do have HP Fire and I wouldnt call Life Orb Dragon Dance Latios a joke. That thing actually can pull a sweep out.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1.) You can't be for variety and a balanced metagame.
I can, and I am! However, I don't care to get 'the most variety possible', but rather, just put variety above a certain threshold. For instance, I don't say "Every change must increase the number of Pokemon in the top X% of usage.", but rather, "As long as we get the number of Pokemon in the top X% of usage to be at least N Pokemon, that's good enough. After that, we should concentrate on unbanning as much as possible.".

Why are so many pokemon in Ubers? Why do we even have UU here at Smogon? I thought Smogon only cared about competitive pokemon, and being competitive is all about playing to win.
The only limit on the number of competitive tiers is based on the number of Pokemon. It's theoretically possible to construct several "balanced" tiers. That doesn't mean that you lose competitiveness.

Look at it this way:

As far as OU is concerned, ubers do not exist. You can use all the Pokemon, and no Pokemon is overpowering. This allows skill in team building to shine through. This is a competitive tier.

As far as UU is concerned, ubers, OU, and BL do not exist. You can use all the Pokemon, and no Pokemon is overpowering. This allows skill in team building to shine through. This is a competitive tier.

Do people want the ability to choose whatever they want (playing Ubers with no Evasion/Species/Sleep) or do they want a metagame with the fewest amount of top-tiers? (Restrictions-ahoy! Lets ban everything except for Life Orb and Magikarp, at least its balanced).
Neither. You are presenting a false dilemma.

Why not change the idea of the threshold slightly? Instead of having "top x% be N pokemon or greater", also include a clause where "the top Q pokemon in usage do not make more than the top y%."

In the idea you presented, let's say the cutoff is 95% should be 50 or more pokemon. The "simple threshold" model would allow for the top 10 pokemon to make up 85% of the uses, which would leave 40 pokemon making up for the next 10. Assuming a near-uniform distribution of the top-10, that's a very stale metagame. The "complex threshold" model would allow for not only the top-50 and 95% of uses constraint to be satisfied, but also forces diversity. You could say "the top-10 pokemon must not make up more than 50% of the uses" and then ban from the top-down until the top-10 is no more than 50% of the uses, or something in a similar fashion.

I'll answer your question simply.

For OU, I want a metagame with about 50 usable Pokemon, with as few Pokemon banned as possible.

For UU, I also want about 50 usable Pokemon, with as few non-OU/uber Pokemon banned as possible. For UU, I also want every single Pokemon to be treated equally, whether they evolve or not. If Chansey didn't evolve into Blissey, but they were simply just two unique, and unrelated Pokemon, Chansey would be BL. Why isn't she BL now?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
In the idea you presented, let's say the cutoff is 95% should be 50 or more pokemon. The "simple threshold" model would allow for the top 10 pokemon to make up 85% of the uses, which would leave 40 pokemon making up for the next 10. Assuming a near-uniform distribution of the top-10, that's a very stale metagame.
This is just an argument in favour of not using 95%. In fact, we are using 75%, which does not have this problem. Usage is exponentially distributed and drops off very quickly.

Also, by the method we are using we can quantify just how centralised the game is, which is its main point. "Balanced" is not a boolean property.

some pokemon are constantly in the top 5 month after month? moving 1 or 2 up for a "trial" month would do no harm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)