SV OU We are The Champions [1000th Post]

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor

Hey lads. This is my 1000th post on Smogon. Took a while but we made it. Been very much into SV OU since its release, so gonna do a RMT. This is a team I cooked up in the lab last week, used it for BKC PL and won my game and have gone about 15-3 on ladder so far. My peak is about 1700, no proof because I don't need it :cool_sunglasses:

The Champions

:sv/pelipper: :sv/floatzel: :sv/gholdengo: :sv/garganacl: :sv/great-tusk: :sv/dragapult:

:pelipper:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

I wanted to build a viable rain team before the Home release and the return of Rain pioneers like Zapdos and Tornadus-T, so Pelipper here is just doing a continuation of its job in Gen 8. Sucks to have no Scald but I'm not running Surf. Knock Off actually gives it a decent turn against defences like Garganacl switching out, afraid of Surf. (Hurricane also hits Tera Grass Garg). It pretty much just disables anything that tries to switch in, alternatively can just U-Turn out into Floatzel.

:floatzel:
Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Ice Spinner
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

This mon is such a meme, its hilarious. I saw someone talking about rain options in a private cord, Skewda and Floatzel are about it right now for Rain wallbreakers, and the upside to Floatzel is that it gets Wave Crash, which is an absolutely insane move for a rain breaker to have. On top of this, we can boost it with Tera Water which allows it to 2HKO stuff like Pex and even Dondozo (varies on item and spread). Overall, not much wants to actively switch in on a Choice Band, Tera Water Liquidation or Wave Crash in rain and that is what makes Floatzel so scary. Ice Spinner allows it to hit stuff it can't OHKO like Pult and 2HKO Grass Garg and Bulky Dnite.

:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Best mon in the tier, no argument to it. Scarf Dengo gives this team speed control alongside Floatzel in rain, and Pult just being Pult. GhostSpam on rain is such a great offence and Trick can really help Floatzel out against defences it struggles to break, like Phys Def Dondozo and Amoonguss. Gholdengo just does its regular stuff on this team, acting as a good revenge killer.

:garganacl: :great-tusk:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Iron Defense

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

These two sort of go in conjunction as they're very expendable. This team is built around offence and therefore sacking these defences isn't the end of the world for this team. The reason they are here is to have a valid switch in to opposing Great Tusk, Pult, locked Dengo and Dragonite. They do different things, Great Tusk with its good defence and resistances against most physical attackers in the tier as well as setting rocks to pressure the opponent. Garganacl does its usual stuff, wearing things down with Salt Cure and potentially breaking on its own with IDBP. But if something has to die, these two are the most expendable after rocks are up.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- U-turn

Sort of a filler mon, but provides passive speed control instead of relying on a Scarf boost. Choice Specs just adds to the immediate power, but I would say that Expert Belt is an alternative, especially with tera electric Thunder. This is also to hit Dondozo, or its teammates switching in, because that is Floatzel's main roadblock. Otherwise, its a very standard pult set.

You gotta play this team right, its really not "click buttons and win". You gotta play it smart to get to the position where Floatzel can just spam Liquidation or Wave Crash. Spread is from my boy Vert, speed peaks Jolly Dnite and so outspeeds it at +2, but should be so careful of Espeed. Rest of invest goes in HP to try and maximise its bulk for scenarios like that.

This is a replay of the team in its debut in BKC PL https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-668932
Since then, ladder has treated it very well.

Threats

:sv/dragapult: :sv/gholdengo:

These 2 can be a bit of an issue with their ghostspam or just individually. Specs Pult hits pretty hard just by spamming Shadow Ball, same with Dengo, but Make It Rain makes it a lot harder. Like I said, the defences are expendable, so long as they put the breakers in a good position, but you just need to try and play around these the best you can.

:sv/iron-valiant:

Another issue, mainly Specs and Calm Mind but, can be dealt with by Floatzel in rain and pretty much just Gholdengo if it isn't carrying Shadow Ball with Booster Energy.

:sv/dondozo:

Floatzel's roadblock. Need to play smart by trapping it, or forcing it out with Pult and Dengo. That's about it.

Shoutouts

These people make Smogon what it is for me, so s/o to all the homies.

The Paste - We are The Champions

This team is still WIP, so may change in the future. Cheers o/

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Cool team, please no more shitposting

Make sure your post is constructive in some way. We strongly prefer to avoid having single line posts outside of thanking someone for a rate. If you are not posting a rate, questions about the team are still allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)