Volcarona

yup super offensive set is the the first one in the analysis.

3 quiver dances are pretty natural for chesto rest volcarona. the only problem is heatran then, since chandelure is quite frail. i think you can kill one pesky ball of lava ;)

I use bulky lefties Volc, it is so easy to get free quiver dances with Forre and Ferro all over the place. You can use Morning Sun, but it is not reliable.

Morning Sun is an okay recovery move. It heals 66% in sun, no weather is 50%, and other weathers is 25%. Also, the moveset I mentioned does get walled by a few Pokes, but Volcarona has no business hanging in on Salamence or Gyarados.

Air Balloon Heatran laughs at HP Ground.

Also: "other weathers" tends to happen most of the time, so Morning Sun would be pretty crappy on anything other than a Sun team.

Morning Sun is situational, so anything other then sun screws it over. And you could just switch out to something that can deal with Balloon Heatran.

Why the hell would you want to use Volcarona in Rain in the first place? I mean, what viable reason could there be for using Volcarona in Rain?

Other than Hurricane, but then again, it isn't even STAB.
You'd use it in the rain if the opponent made it rain. :/ Most people will assume you'd switch out and start setting up. But hurricane allows for a guaranteed surprise attack! Two or more in a row if u used quiver dance before the rain inducer gets going and raise ur speed. It does respectable DMG as well. Better than neutral HP by a long shot. Helps against opposing Volcarona too! The chance to miss is the only downside but it's not that bad. It's comparable to iron tail sort of.

You'd use it in the rain if the opponent made it rain. :/ Most people will assume you'd switch out and start setting up. But hurricane allows for a guaranteed surprise attack! Two or more in a row if u used quiver dance before the rain inducer gets going and raise ur speed. It does respectable DMG as well. Better than neutral HP by a long shot. Helps against opposing Volcarona too! The chance to miss is the only downside but it's not that bad. It's comparable to iron tail sort of.
So...carry Volcarona suited for Rain...just to troll Rain teams...

Nice.

Also: Morning Sun is basically crap because you won't be able to keep Sun up AND boost at the same time if you're facing a Rain or Sandstormm team.

Look Bluemon,

Focus Blast and all the other versions of Thunder are actually pretty good moves if you give them a Wide Lens or something, but that never happens.

-----------------------
Team Rocket's basement.

So...carry Volcarona suited for Rain...just to troll Rain teams...

Nice.

Also: Morning Sun is basically crap because you won't be able to keep Sun up AND boost at the same time if you're facing a Rain or Sandstormm team.
..no. It's so it's not a sitting duck in a Rain team. Phrase it however you want though. It doesn't change the fact its useful. It also kills Fighting types fairly easily. I've taken down a lot of Conkleder/Scrafty who started using Bulk Up expecting me to switch.

And you don't NEED morning sun. As stated earlier in the thread (by other posters) it's not a staple move that every set needs. Especially with the abundance of Sand/Rain.

This isn't hypothetical or anything. I'm just telling you it's worked for me and saved my butt several times. You can deny that all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that its useful. Just remember to not give every Poke you have a predictable moveset. The element of surprise is a powerful thing in this game and it has the power to net you a free KO.

Sorry if someone said this before: but I think it could be a good SunnyBeamer.

--------------------
Team Rocket minibus camping van!

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
^It actually isn't. The ability to nab successicive boosts rather easily and the sheer wall breaking power that gives you is usually enough to beat all the common pokemon in the metagame. You can't solarbeam a tyranitar or a politoed (unless you sunny day on the switch), nor can you hit a hippowdon. The only pokemon who you solarbeam somewhat matters against are toxic/taunt jellicient, SpD Quagsire, and non scarfed terrakion.

You can use it on a quiver dance + 3 attacks set but it isn't really worth it imo.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
^not really. Solar Beam doesn't add much (if anything) to Volcarona's Fire/Bug coverage.

Also, I'm asuming you meant Solar Beam lol.

Edit: damn you alphatron lol.

Anyways SD Virizion w/ HP Ice is a great partner to Volc. Virizion can hit Volcarona's main switch ins, Heatran, Blissey, and Dragonite for SE damage. Viri can't get past Gyarados, but I guess that's what teamates are for :p

Besides, Solar Beam could easily be countered by taking away your sun and making it a two-turn attack. And it also doesn't really add any coverage for Volcarona. Rain, Sand, and Hail could all easily make Solar Beam more of a liability then an asset, especially since Solar Beam would then be a wasted moveslot.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Brizznetz, Virizion can easily replace HP Ice for Stone-Edge to deal with Gyarados and opposing Volcarona. It may not be worth losing the ability to 2HKO the ubiquitous and resilient Gliscor for those 2 uncommon SR-weak threats, however.

Hurricane is only worth using in rain, and even then, it's better suited for Tornadus, who thrives in the rain. Volcarona is better suited to tear shit up in the sun with Fiery Dance or another powerful Fire STAB move.

I still assert HP Rock is better than HP Ground. You neutrally hit Heatran which will do shit all against multiple Quiver Dances, and hit Gyarados and Dragonite for SE damage who very commonly enjoy switching in on Volcarona and ruining its day.

That's an excellent point. And with many pokemon being SR weak you can get them.

I think HP Rock is better than HP ground by a bunch now that I think of it.

+Gyarados
+Dragonite
+Salamence
+Still hit chandelure

Heatran neutrally is shaky to me still, because of his availible bulk that he could run, and then a neutral hit might take a while to kill him. And those toxic heatrans are SO irritating. But I would rather hit more things with hp rock than only heatran.

That's an excellent point. And with many pokemon being SR weak you can get them.

I think HP Rock is better than HP ground by a bunch now that I think of it.

+Gyarados
+Dragonite
+Salamence
+Still hit chandelure

Heatran neutrally is shaky to me still, because of his availible bulk that he could run, and then a neutral hit might take a while to kill him. And those toxic heatrans are SO irritating. But I would rather hit more things with hp rock than only heatran.
Heatran can also run Stealth Rock alongside Roar to be even more annoying. I still say it's better to capitalise on damaging as many things as possible than preparing for one particular check that isn't by any means a counter either, though if you do find you keep getting killed by Heatran and Terakkion before every sweep I suppose it's an attractive HP option.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Gyarados and Dragonite are pretty much easy to dispatch. They are both SR-weak and are usually offensive. If Dragonite is running Roost, then it would most likely be packing Dragon Claw and not be hitting Volcarona hard. They can both be overwhelmed by Drought-boosted STAB Fire from Volcarona.

Heatran, in the other hand, is immune to Volcarona's main offense, and it's usually made bulky to counter Drought teams. Therefore, I'd rather pack HP Ground to remove the more definitive counter of Volcarona.

If I have a reliable way of removing Heatran / exploiting Heatran's switch-ins, then I may go with Substitute / HP Rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)