Virizion (Uber Analysis)

[Overview]

• nice and unique typing, both offensively and defensively
  • can check/counter some very common ubers, most notably all weather changers (Kyogre, Groudon, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and even lol Abomasnow), Dialga, Palkia, Manaphy, Ferrothorn, Darkari, Chansey and more; Also check Steel, Water, Rock, Ground, and Dark Arceus
  • 90 hp/ 129 SDef together with its typing allow it to switch in easily and set up SD
  • 108 Spd also outspeed a large amount of uber that doesn't carry a Scarf
  • 90 Atk is mediocre in uber, but after a SD it can reach decent level
  • 72 Def also makes it weak to physical attack it doesn't resist, a big concern is ES from Normal Arceus
[SET]
name: Ubers Sword Dance
move 1: Sword Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Leaf Blade
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Why it deserves to be on site:

• Hits hard after a SD
  • typing and defensive stat allow it to come in easily, unlike Terrakion
  • 108 Spd is pretty fast
  • not easy to revenge, for example a Scarf Dialga Draco Meteor only does 63.2% - 74.6%
Set Comments:

• SD boost stat when it forced a switch or with Wob support
  • CC is the most powerful attack, it hurt anything doesn't resist it after a SD
  • Leaf Blade for secondary Stab and hit Groudon and Kyogre, two most dominant ubers, super effectively
  • Stone Edge kills Ho-oh, Reshiram, Shaymin-S switch in, Thundurus, and at least dent Lugia

Additional Comments:

• Loves hazards!
  • Loves Wob support
  • Need a Mewtwo, Shaymin-S, and Blaziken check as they can outspeed and OHKO you
  • Also wants Lugia and Giratina removed, pack a pursuit user with Wob tickle

Other Options:

• Calm Mind, but 90 SAtk is even worse than 90 Atk by uber standard and relay on focus blast is terrible
  • Choice Band, but that is kind of easy to play around

Checks and Counters:

• Mewtwo outspeed and Psystrike
  • Shaymin-S can do the same with Air Slash, just be aware switching into Stone edge
  • Blaziken can come in move not name Close Combat, protect to gain a speed boost, and outspeed and kill it with a Flare Blitz
  • Lugia and Giratina wall it and either Phaze it or burn it
  • Powerful Priority like ExtremeSpeed and Bullet punch can check it once it is weakened, this is very effective when Virizion has used Close Combat
  • Most choice scarf user that pack a super effective move or a powerful physical can also do the same, just be aware that Virizion has a good SDef that may not be so easy to kill

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You left out a bunch of problems. Both Giratina formes are a full stop to Virizion. It's hardly a Groudon check because of its crappy defense and inability to OHKO without an SD (+0 Leaf Blade only does 49% max to the standard physical wall set). Virizion also takes 76.2% - 89.5% from Timid Specsogre Water Spout and is OHKOed by Ice Beam after Spikes, so Viriion really isn't a good Kyogre check in any way. Virizion is also a poor Darkrai check because it outspeeds and OHKOes with a +2 LO Focus Blast after Spikes, and can always just shut you down with Dark Void.

Like Rotom-W, Virizion is a great Pokemon in OU, but it doesn't have the stats to work in Ubers. It's offenses pale in comparison to Terrakion's and its defenses aren't good enough without investment or recovery.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually think Virizion's pretty cool. I've used him before and I have to say he's "alright". Analysis-worthy? I'm not sure yet. Although I have to say, offensive Virizion just isn't strong enough. I might go and test a Latias-esque 252 HP / 252 SpD Calm Mind set, but don't expect me to approve of anything just yet.

EDIT: Okay, I went and tested this. Virizion is just too weak to do anything in Ubers. Base 90 just isn't good enough to kill anything of note. Unlike Lugia, Virizion doesn't have the massive bulk that Lugia has (Even though SpD is pretty good), and even Lugia's offensive sets are poop. With that in mind, I decided to try out a defensive set with 252 HP / 252 SpD to try and switch into stuff like Kyogre, only to find that +3 Giga Drain only 46% to a Gallade, of all things. I'm sorry, but while I love Virizion to death, it doesn't deserve an Uber anaylsis.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Fireburn and Shrang already mentioned why Virizon has to be rejected. Also Arceus formes not weak to your STABs will mess up Virizon as well such as Ghost Arceus. Virizon doesn't even get Leech Seed which sucks as a Defensive pokemon.

Groudon's Fire Punch will tear a huge chunk out of Virizon so you are not beating Groudon one-on-one. Offensive ones easily survive unboosted Leaf Blade while it OHKOes you.

It is also an iffy check to Steel or Rock Arceus. Both might carry Will-O-Wisp and Rock Arceus sometimes carries Fire Blast. Once burned, Virizon will actually lose due to the Defense drops. Terrakion has that useful Normal-type resistance which allows it to revenge kill Extremekiller and Rayquaza.

QC REJECTED (3/3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)