Media Videogame thread

Has anyone here played casette beasts? what are your thoughts on it? have been thinking of checking it out but im not sure if the gameplay is for me. I know it has a pretty complex interaction systems beyond "type a makes u weak to type b"

Has anyone here played casette beasts? what are your thoughts on it? have been thinking of checking it out but im not sure if the gameplay is for me. I know it has a pretty complex interaction systems beyond "type a makes u weak to type b"
excuse me, we are in the middle of blindly screaming at each other over a childrens video game, find somewhere relevant to post this, like a video game thread.

well im not doing it. list five shortcomings that are not glitches.
1. The game attempts to create an open world through a lack of forced gym order, but the lack of level scaling makes this concept fall flat.
2. The game has multiple characters that suffer from "hop syndrome" where they try to have a story arc but just come off as a whiny bitch for half (or all) of the game.
3. The fights are hilariously easy, even though they have the potential to be difficult. The final boss of the game leads a tera-less kingambit and ends with a tera rock glimmora, making the entire fight fold to 1 fighting type with ice coverage.
4. All the terrain and scenery is incredibly blank. All they have to do is make the game render more wild pokemon and improve the textures, but they don't because the game already runs like shit.
5. The evil team sucks. Motivations for evil teams has been pretty bad for the switch era. We've got a group of fans who just make minor annoyances and a group of bullied kids who, considering they all have a 4x weakness to ground, were probably bullied for a reason.

You are wrong. You are either very early into the game, or you are bad at seeing framerates. A lot of people are just bad at seeing visual hiccups, but a trained eye doesn't have to try hard to find frame drops. You can literally look at a random clip of Palworld from a #XboxShare on Twitter and it will be lagging unless it is early enough that the CPU isn't being put to work.
I'm level 35 (Xbox S) and have no had lag issues. The game isn't optimized and has tons of glitches but it's far from laggy.

well im not doing it. list five shortcomings that are not glitches.

1) Dexit. The game content was cut and nothing noticeable was added in terms of animations, intractability, or so on in terms of the remaining Pokemon. For the most part it seems like the Pokemon are cut as a way to artificially inflate value of the DLC.

2) The graphics are truly terrible. The Switch isn't all that powerful but come on, better looking games run on the Wii.

3) Despite being open world letting us tackle the gyms in any order there is no level scaling, which is such an absurdly bizarre choice.

4) Virtually zero post game content. Nothing really to do at all if you aren't interested in VGC. No battle tower, nothing.

5) They put a lot of effort into the sandwich minigame that has almost no purpose if you aren't shiny hunting.

6) The game world is so barren and empty. Pokemon spawns are painfully rare (and in some areas where it's common they actually lag the game lol). Most areas are just dead space with a handful of Pokemon spawns and useless items on the ground.

7) No voice acting. There's way too many times in the game where I'm tapping A through dialogue and I hear nothing besides the sound of my button clicking. The funny thing is Pokemon literally pays voice actors for these characters but won't let them voice the games. What gets me is that it is the second game in a row to have a character who's entire deal is that they sing / rap lmao. They even paid Ed Sheeran to sing the game's ending credits but they couldn't find a voice actor for the gym leader who literally raps?

8) Multiplayer forces a battle timer that makes 6v6 battles almost impossible. I get that this is to force us to play VGC but it's a weird move for a game that almost always plays as 6v6.

9) Terastalization is better than Dynamax but the bar is so low that anything could be. I'm so sick of gimmicks.

10) Character customization was functionally cut from the game.

I'll give SV credit though the 20 minute Area Zero section was wild and imo was the best "end" to any Pokemon story ever. It just went from "gotta catch 'em all and beat the gym leaders" to "future dead robot dad causes time travel apocalypse".

I'm level 35 (Xbox S) and have no had lag issues. The game isn't optimized and has tons of glitches but it's far from laggy.

1) Dexit. The game content was cut and nothing noticeable was added in terms of animations, intractability, or so on in terms of the remaining Pokemon. For the most part it seems like the Pokemon are cut as a way to artificially inflate value of the DLC.

2) The graphics are truly terrible. The Switch isn't all that powerful but come on, better looking games run on the Wii.

3) Despite being open world letting us tackle the gyms in any order there is no level scaling, which is such an absurdly bizarre choice.

4) Virtually zero post game content. Nothing really to do at all if you aren't interested in VGC. No battle tower, nothing.

5) They put a lot of effort into the sandwich minigame that has almost no purpose if you aren't shiny hunting.

6) The game world is so barren and empty. Pokemon spawns are painfully rare (and in some areas where it's common they actually lag the game lol). Most areas are just dead space with a handful of Pokemon spawns and useless items on the ground.

7) No voice acting. There's way too many times in the game where I'm tapping A through dialogue and I hear nothing besides the sound of my button clicking. The funny thing is Pokemon literally pays voice actors for these characters but won't let them voice the games. What gets me is that it is the second game in a row to have a character who's entire deal is that they sing / rap lmao. They even paid Ed Sheeran to sing the game's ending credits but they couldn't find a voice actor for the gym leader who literally raps?

8) Multiplayer forces a battle timer that makes 6v6 battles almost impossible. I get that this is to force us to play VGC but it's a weird move for a game that almost always plays as 6v6.

9) Terastalization is better than Dynamax but the bar is so low that anything could be. I'm so sick of gimmicks.

I'll give SV credit though the 20 minute Area Zero section was wild and imo was the best "end" to any Pokemon story ever. It just went from "gotta catch 'em all and beat the gym leaders" to "future dead robot dad causes time travel apocalypse".
11) they hired ed sheeran to sing the game's end credits

1. The game attempts to create an open world through a lack of forced gym order, but the lack of level scaling makes this concept fall flat.
2. The game has multiple characters that suffer from "hop syndrome" where they try to have a story arc but just come off as a whiny bitch for half (or all) of the game.
3. The fights are hilariously easy, even though they have the potential to be difficult. The final boss of the game leads a tera-less kingambit and ends with a tera rock glimmora, making the entire fight fold to 1 fighting type with ice coverage.
4. All the terrain and scenery is incredibly blank. All they have to do is make the game render more wild pokemon and improve the textures, but they don't because the game already runs like shit.
5. The evil team sucks. Motivations for evil teams has been pretty bad for the switch era. We've got a group of fans who just make minor annoyances and a group of bullied kids who, considering they all have a 4x weakness to ground, were probably bullied for a reason.
1. this is something that red and blue did
2. no, the characters are in fact very interesting.
3.this game is designed for children, are you smarter than a child? do a nuzlocke or something. (real talk, yeah, it stinks that you dont find it hard, but it was designed for children, so there is not a lot you can do. not that they tried, but still.)
4. yes, worsen the graphical overload, no one will have a problem with that
5. did i hear you say that the kids were bullied for a reason? I SUMMON THE POWER OF CANCEL CULTURE!!!(real talk, ok, they are not the most interesting, but it isnt all bad

1. yes, increase the memory usage, no one will have a problem with that
2. see 1.
3. already adressed
4. mild annoyance, but fair
5. effort is a problem?
6. so do you want more pokemon or not. you are basically complaining about how long the food is taking while ordering more things.
7. never been a problem before, but i would like some voice acting
8. valid
9. tera is actually a fantastic gimmik that puts a lot of thought into battling
10. i feel like there are worse things then "my character cant have drip"

here are ten good things about it
1. great music
2. paradox pokemon are an interesting concept
3. tera is good, already said that
4. you have some pretty cool designs, like kingambit, and the incredibly self aware creation of dudunsparce.
5.school setting is a breath of fresh air, and a lot of detail was put into making this distinct from the normal settings.
6. post game, while lacking, is pretty cool storywise
7. totem pokemon are back in some form. nice.
8. fighting the revavroom truck was pretty cool, it gives us a glimpse into the possibilities of battling things that are not pokemon
9. outpost trials were pretty cool
10. some pretty cool world building, like the ruin legends, crater implications, and convergent evolution.

I'm also pretty curious myself from the opposite end of the spectrum. (over)Complicated battle systems and types beyond classic fantasy/'natural' elements interests me, but I can't fully get behind the music theming.

3.this game is designed for children, are you smarter than a child? do a nuzlocke or something. (real talk, yeah, it stinks that you dont find it hard, but it was designed for children, so there is not a lot you can do. not that they tried, but still.)
Plenty of kids had to struggle through Cynthia, and they turned out fine. It's really not my fault that kids these days are so brainrotten by skibidi toilet that they can't click 6 fighting attacks.
4. yes, worsen the graphical overload, no one will have a problem with that
That's the whole point of what I said. Their options are either make the game look like shit, make it kill your framerate, or completely rewrite the code from scratch.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
my thoughts on Cassette Beasts from my review post from last year:

Cassette Beasts is an interesting take on monster collecting. It gets a lot of things very right, and I won't go in depth because I think it's better for people to discover those things organically, but I think it suffers from the 'early Pokémon games' issue where optimizing your team is a bit of a pain. I don't think they necessarily intend for you to be able to optimize much, but that in itself is - for my preferences - a drawback. I also found the writing to be pretty whatever. If you don't mind these potential issues, and you're looking for a monster collector game, Cassette Beasts might be the game for you. 7.5/10
it's cute, but it's definitely no Pokemon, the gameplay/strategic side is unpolished imo. I think the dev team needs more time and resources to cook, what they did is impressive and the game had me hooked for a while but you really feel the shortcomings (unless you just want a cool monster collector game with cool creatures and you're not worried much about the strategies, then go ahead, game is fun)

2. paradox pokemon are an interesting concept
"What if we took... like... an elephant... and made him like... old... and called him... like... big horny... or something..."
"What if we took a magnet... and like... gave it sand..."
"What if we... like... gave kirby a tail..."

seeing people argue about sv gameplay is hilarious to me

even if you're lucky enough to dodge glitches shit is shovelware visuals through and through i cannot take it seriously at all
I remember playing Scarlet on a copy before release and without Twitter being a bitch in my ear, I thought "wow. People will actually like Pokemon again, they made a good game."

The framerate didn't matter to me because it's a fucking turn based RPG with zero mechanics that hinge on my reaction speed. The graphics were worse than a game like BotW, but also I felt like it was servicable enough in 90% of the map. I didn't expect BotW because it had a 3 year dev time.

It was rough, and I agree it shouldn't have been released like that, but my takeaway was still "That is the Pokemon game with some of the best gameplay and a top 4 storyline, and great music."

Then it caused all of the controversy and now if you say the game has fun gameplay, people like you act high and mighty. Pokemon discourse is toxic because you aren't allowed to have the opinion that a game is fun even if it shouldn't have launched the way it did, you are just called a shill that enjoys garbage and bla bla bla

It's even funnier to me because I realized I've played like, almost every non-Pokemon monster collector, and most of the people who just say "shovelware bad it has no good qualities" won't put their money up to the cool games people are offering. Go play Temtem, Cassette Beasts, Monster Sanctuary. Shit, Yokai Watch 2 was a good game, fight me. But no we will just be here in 20 days where 90% of people act like they are held hostage in a broken marriage that they do not have to stay with. I like the direction the gameplay of Pokemon is heading in, and I just hope they can fix the quality up.

I remember playing Scarlet on a copy before release and without Twitter being a bitch in my ear, I thought "wow. People will actually like Pokemon again, they made a good game."

The framerate didn't matter to me because it's a fucking turn based RPG with zero mechanics that hinge on my reaction speed. The graphics were worse than a game like BotW, but also I felt like it was servicable enough in 90% of the map. I didn't expect BotW because it had a 3 year dev time.

It was rough, and I agree it shouldn't have been released like that, but my takeaway was still "That is the Pokemon game with some of the best gameplay and a top 4 storyline, and great music."

Then it caused all of the controversy and now if you say the game has fun gameplay, people like you act high and mighty. Pokemon discourse is toxic because you aren't allowed to have the opinion that a game is fun even if it shouldn't have launched the way it did, you are just called a shill that enjoys garbage and bla bla bla

It's even funnier to me because I realized I've played like, almost every non-Pokemon monster collector, and most of the people who just say "shovelware bad it has no good qualities" won't put their money up to the cool games people are offering. Go play Temtem, Cassette Beasts, Monster Sanctuary. Shit, Yokai Watch 2 was a good game, fight me. But no we will just be here in 20 days where 90% of people act like they are held hostage in a broken marriage that they do not have to stay with. I like the direction the gameplay of Pokemon is heading in, and I just hope they can fix the quality up.
I mean I'm glad for you if you can look past it and get your money's worth with the game. I genuinely wish I could look past it but I find it appalling to look at and it frankly does not allow me engage with the game any further. Feel free to ignore me next time and keep discussing lol but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I can look past a franchise I once loved producing some of the worst looking triple A titles I've ever seen in my life. Have a good one

- as a side note, I really am not a graphics guy or anything. It was just immediately, overpoweringly, relentlessly distracting to see the otherwise good models anywhere outside of the cities due to the demo-like quality of the visuals out in the wild. While it is a turn-based combat system, the majority of the game was spent not in those sequences but out in polygon purgatory lol

I mean I'm glad for you if you can look past it and get your money's worth with the game. I genuinely wish I could look past it but I find it appalling to look at and it frankly does not allow me engage with the game any further. Feel free to ignore me next time and keep discussing lol but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I can look past a franchise I once loved producing some of the worst looking triple A titles I've ever seen in my life. Have a good one

- as a side note, I really am not a graphics guy or anything. It was just immediately, overpoweringly, relentlessly distracting to see the otherwise good models anywhere outside of the cities due to the demo-like quality of the visuals out in the wild. While it is a turn-based combat system, the majority of the game was spent not in those sequences but out in polygon purgatory lol
I'm not saying your experience is invalid ftr, I think everything you say here is valid. I don't blame people for not liking Scarlet/Violet, or disliking where the franchise is at. I just feel tired whenever I just see the talk about it turn into mindless bashing of humans on either side for just having feelings about a thing.

If anything I am more anti-Twitterized Pokemon discussion if that makes any sense, where people just look past each other and try to just portray the other side as a caricature. I may even be a bit guilty of that just now, it's easy for it to happen, sorry if I did.

my thoughts on Cassette Beasts from my review post from last year:

it's cute, but it's definitely no Pokemon, the gameplay/strategic side is unpolished imo. I think the dev team needs more time and resources to cook, what they did is impressive and the game had me hooked for a while but you really feel the shortcomings (unless you just want a cool monster collector game with cool creatures and you're not worried much about the strategies, then go ahead, game is fun)
usually designs trump gameplay for monster collectors because thats its main appeal to me. you can have a deep complex game but if the creature designs are boring then i dont have a drive to play it (which is why i dont play digimon. completely trust when people say it has great story and gameplay but the design philosophy just isnt for me). as long as the gameplay is fun enough it should be good for me. thanks for the review!

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
usually designs trump gameplay for monster collectors because thats its main appeal to me. you can have a deep complex game but if the creature designs are boring then i dont have a drive to play it (which is why i dont play digimon. completely trust when people say it has great story and gameplay but the design philosophy just isnt for me). as long as the gameplay is fun enough it should be good for me. thanks for the review!
I'm very much in the same boat, this is what keeps me glued to Pokemon and puts me off from Palworld for the most part. I actually started playing Cassette Beasts recently, I think a lot of the designs are quite good and the overall art direction is a lot stronger than 3D Pokemon. A lot of the monsters are really fun and the fusion mechanic COULD be interesting, but the lack of evolution and overall more cartoony theming (if that makes any sense) of the designs could limit the appeal. Combat also gives you a lot to remember at once

all this talk about imitating pokemon has got me thinking. im willing to bet a lot of people get their information about new pokemon each gen from yourube and twitter, not from the pokemon company directly. now im not saying we should trick social media users into thinking a fake pokemon is going to be released when the next gen is anounced. all im saying is that we could totally acomplish it.

all this talk about imitating pokemon has got me thinking. im willing to bet a lot of people get their information about new pokemon each gen from yourube and twitter, not from the pokemon company directly. now im not saying we should trick social media users into thinking a fake pokemon is going to be released when the next gen is anounced. all im saying is that we could totally acomplish it.
Didn't this already happen in Gen 8 with Pokemon Gun version lol

I haven't played yet but I have heard it's good, and I do like the genre as a whole. When you get some ways through the game, would you mind sharing how you feel about it? I want to know if it's worth getting.
okay so i only *recently started* but IM REALLY LOVING IT, i think this is one of the best "Souls-like" non-FS games made in awhile (see how many think Lies of P = Masterpiece, Lords of the Fallen = buns) *DONT KNOW LotF SO DONT WANNA TRIGGER, BUT THAT'S OUT THERE* but I will say Lies of P is really good.
I'm still learning some systems (Lies esp.) but the perk grid reminds me of FFX (not totally but visually makes me smile) and love being able to mix blades of weapons with handles to be like "HEAVY/SLOW BLADE" with "BALANCE/DEX HANDLE" for quicker swings on things that are huge! LMAOOO
*(AND IF YOU DIE DURING A BOSS YA ERGO (SOULS/MONEY) ARE LEFT OUTSIDE THE BOSS ARENA FOR AN EASY GET BACK IF YOU NEED TO LEVEL MORE)* very noice.
also the Parry does make it a lil more friendly (not to mention being able to recharge ya heals if you empty by hitting) definitely a HARD GAME in the key battles but not like... "Why did I buy this?" hard, more so "I SEE WHAT I GOTTA DO BUT FUCK YOU GETTING THE UP ON ME THAT TIME" lmaoooo.

all in all super suggest.

also like being able to go back to older areas to explore/level more so you're not like "locked out after beating" like some Souls game.

(edit) Idk if you got xbox but last i checked its on gamepass to try for free (even buying only add on i seen was some gear and such nothing you'd *HAVE TO GET* lol)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)