Media Videogame thread

plagiarizing from gamefreak is based, the game just seems boring because its not really doing anything fun with that plagiarization, it just takes from other games like ark and prays it works. i think theres a lot of gamefreak hatred driven hysteria to make the game seem more fun than it is. its fine, somewhat boring and unfocused and an open world so i already think it cannot be more than mediocre but ik thats my anti open world bias, you might have more fun with ark. coromon outsold tho

1707416908622.png

Actually doesn't look much like luxray outside of being a lion. Picking the shiny Luxray because the colors are closer is kind of manipulative don't you think?

you are on so much copium right now.
Palworld Type Chart Explained — Strengths and Weaknesses in Palworld -  Esports Illustrated

neuteral is litterally the only type that has a different name
You can't copyright the words grass, fire etc. The type chart isn't even the same lol. Come on man Pokemon didn't invent "elements" and it certainly didn't invent things like water putting out fire or fire melting ice.

I'll give you this one only because I hate this asshole. You're just minding your own business then BAM, fucker shoots you with arrows.

I feel like you're really reaching with this one.

Ah yes flower humanoid.

1707417108832.png

Oh come on they don't even look remotely the same. "Blue" isn't plagiarism.

Looks more like Xatu.

1707417214023.png

But even so other than bird with similar colors they aren't similar at all. Green orange red bird isn't copyrighted.

None of this matters at all because regardless of how similar Nintendo hasn't even tried to throw out legal action meaning the similarities are minor enough that the law doesn't care. Doesn't invalidate how much better Palworld has been than any other Pokemon game (at least on the Switch).

If this makes you mad perhaps you should ask Gamefreak why their games are so bad to the point where a Pokemon knock off was able to get 19 million active players. No one is playing Palworld because some of the Pals "look like Pokémon" it's because the game is able to fill a niche that Gamefreak left open for twenty years.

none of this contradicts what I said, they were able to make a fun and popular product with polished animations and attention to detail largely because they didn't have to come up with much of it, allowing the budget to be spent elsewhere

it's like you're reading my posts and the only thing you can process is "hm, this person is not 100% positive about palworld, i better go on my spiel about how great it is" rather than actually engaging with the nuances of what i'm saying

i don't hate palworld, i don't like gamefreak, i don't think gamefreak has interest in innovating within their franchise, but i think it's ridiculous to say the driving force behind palworld is "passion" when the game is /at absolute best/ derivative
Have you played Palworld?

It's weird you're acting like Gamefreak has some sort of sole right to the monster rancher franchise. Nothing Palworld has done is new. Monster trainer with multiplayer base building, exploration, and survival elements are all old news. But Palworld combined them in a way no one has successfully done before, not even Pokemon despite the fans asking for it since the N64 days. Obviously there's a lot of concepts taken directly from Pokemon but it's not like this is any less original than Call of Duty borrowing from Halo or literally any RTS borrowing from Starcraft, or survival games that have a hunger bar.

Actually doesn't look much like luxray outside of being a lion. Picking the shiny Luxray because the colors are closer is kind of manipulative don't you think?
first of all, i didnt pick the shiny color, i got this off of google images
second of all, are you on drugs? like actually. these two are uncanilly similar. and i belive people looked at their models with blender and discovered that it was practically copy and paste
You can't copyright the words grass, fire etc. The type chart isn't even the same lol. Come on man Pokemon didn't invent "elements" and it certainly didn't invent things like water putting out fire or fire melting ice.
the fact that all but one element are ripped straight from pokemon should be a massive red flag
Ah yes flower humanoid.
they have the exact same flowers on theri heads. and they both have a leaf dress.
Oh come on they don't even look remotely the same. "Blue" isn't plagiarism.
they stole quagsires face. HOW COULD THEY?
I feel like you're really reaching with this one.
not really. i feel like they are pretty similar, but not that similar
Looks more like Xatu.
this could totally be a cooincidence

if you dont think boltmane is a copy of luxray, i am genuinely conserned for your state of mind.
also, nintendo very much has made a statement that, while not explicitly targeting palworld, is basically saying "we are going to have lamballs head on a spike"

yknow your point would be a lot more strong if you said that yeah theyre plagiarizing and you dont care or think plagiarizing pokemon is cool (bc it is). denying it just makes you look insane LOL no need to defend them for the crime of stealing from the multi million dollar franchise, who gives a shit

first of all, i didnt pick the shiny color, i got this off of google images
So you picked the shiny color to prove your point.

second of all, are you on drugs? like actually. these two are uncanilly similar. and i belive people looked at their models with blender and discovered that it was practically copy and paste

the fact that all but one element are ripped straight from pokemon should be a massive red flag
Nah that guy admitted he lied.

1707419272656.png

they have the exact same flowers on theri heads. and they both have a leaf dress.

they stole quagsires face. HOW COULD THEY?
Dot eyes is not "Quagmire's face".

not really. i feel like they are pretty similar, but not that similar
They... aren't. Like they really aren't at all. There's a point where you're just comparing generic traits. Oh no a yellow and black humanoid. Better start suing people for wearing bee suits.

this could totally be a cooincidence
Yeah it probably is. It's a green Dodo that explodes. Despite having comparable colors to one of the maybe third bird Pokemon it doesn't have many similar features. Don't get me wrong when I first found that bird I called it Xatu but now that you have the two next to each other the only thing similar is the green color and... bird-ness.

if you dont think boltmane is a copy of luxray, i am genuinely conserned for your state of mind.
also, nintendo very much has made a statement that, while not explicitly targeting palworld, is basically saying "we are going to have lamballs head on a spike"
Looks similar but not enough to matter. What is your point with all this? Are you saying Nintendo is the only company that has the right to make elemental monster rancher games?

yknow your point would be a lot more strong if you said that yeah theyre plagiarizing and you dont care or think plagiarizing pokemon is cool (bc it is). denying it just makes you look insane LOL no need to defend them for the crime of stealing from the multi million dollar franchise, who gives a shit
They aren't, otherwise Nintendo would be suing. Since they aren't, I think it's pretty clear it isn't plagiarism. Making references, parodies, and lmao electric humanoids isn't against the law.

It's obvious a lot of Pals are similar to Pokemon but there's a fucking thousand Pokemon. It's pretty much impossible to make 110+ monsters and not have at least a few look like a Pokemon. Doesn't really matter though. Nintendo thinks it's fine, so the ball is in Gamefreak's court to one-up a 10 developer team.

We have received many inquiries regarding another company's game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokemon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures-The Pokemon Company
Translation:anyone associated with palworld is going to burn in the fires of hell

We have received many inquiries regarding another company's game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokemon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures-The Pokemon Company
Translation:anyone associated with palworld is going to burn in the fires of hell
Actual translation is "we know about this game and have known about it for years while it was in development, please stop messaging us".

if you think my claims are a stretch, you should see the website i got some of the images from
15 Palworld Pal designs that are similar to popular Pokemon

4) Orserk - Garchomp

yeah crediting palworld's success to "passion" is a bit misguided, they outperformed their budget primarily due to theft

but if a game like that can make such numbers it's pretty clear that there's a big hole in the market that pokemon could fill but gamefreak is refusing to fill
palworld has so few original assets lmao

even if SV's rock texture is dogshit at least they made it and it's not a store asset, ftr assets are fine and there for a reason, but people shouldn't be praising people for making shit quickly when they didn't have to do quite a bit of the work. like even stuff like "the pickaxe animation is the same as from Fortnite" is the type of thing that speeds up development. And they could do that thousands of times.

Another thing is that one is for the fucking Nintendo Switch. And while Pokemon Legends Arceus is absolutely not one of the best looking games on the system, it actually runs stably. I was watching my young step brother play Palworld with his friends (oh saying slurs, the target audience for this game is so glorious,) for a bit and holy shit it was lagging on a Series S. The Xbox port only has two skews to worry about and it is running pretty poorly, and it really shouldn't be even as an Early Access.

Scarlet/Violet runs like shit on the Switch also, but fucking imagine these devs trying to do a port job of Palworld to Switch. For the record, a lot of companies just gave up on making larger scope games for the Switch, for instance Genshin Impact devs promised a port... four years ago. This is cool because Gacha games are Ew, but also people kind of don't realize that games like BotW and Xenoblade are an outliar. Another turn based JRPG published by Nintendo in 2019 was Three Houses which looked like shit outside of the anime portraits.

Look at Persona 5 Royal past the UI

1707420613882.png

This is not a bad download of the screenshot. It is just that blurry. This is a PS3 game. It runs at IIRC 540p on Handheld mode, with a 1080p UI.

So my thoughts on Pokemon graphics for the future are a few things:

1. Use things like portraits more. It'll make you game look more stylish, and distract people from the lower quality models if still present.

2. Incorporate celshading into the artstyle. BotW has celshading and it masks a lot of how the game saves performance; the models look like shit
1707420723973.png

3. Just give the game another year of development for fucks sake. SV with another year was just the best Pokemon game IMO, it's honestly pretty depressing it came out so buggy and unpolished. It is an actually imaginative Pokemon game with a lot of new ideas that no one cares about because it's in 15FPS.

even if SV's rock texture is dogshit at least they made it and it's not a store asset, ftr assets are fine and there for a reason, but people shouldn't be praising people for making shit quickly when they didn't have to do quite a bit of the work. like even stuff like "the pickaxe animation is the same as from Fortnite" is the type of thing that speeds up development. And they could do that thousands of times.
Well since they're "on a timer" maybe Gamefreak actually should do the type of things that speed up development. At least then their games might look a little better. Like, that's literally the point of stock assets, to save time when resources are limited.

Another thing is that one is for the fucking Nintendo Switch. And while Pokemon Legends Arceus is absolutely not one of the best looking games on the system, it actually runs stably. I was watching my young step brother play Palworld with his friends (oh saying slurs, the target audience for this game is so glorious,) for a bit and holy shit it was lagging on a Series S. The Xbox port only has two skews to worry about and it is running pretty poorly, and it really shouldn't be even as an Early Access.
Breath of the Wild exists and blows SV (and Palworld) out of the water visually. I have a series S and Palworld doesn't lag at all. Online is different but that's more due to internet connection and server issues rather than the hardware it runs on. The Switch can easily handle better looking games than SwSh / SV LOL.

scarlet and violet is a far more polished and overall good game then red/blue. you physically cannot play red and blue without encountering a glitch, and that is not an exaggeration. a one year old runs better then red and blue. scarlet and violet is a good game. if your only problem with a game is that it has glitches that are currently being patched out, and are also nowhere near as frequent or bad as you say they are, then maybe you have to consider that it is a good game.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
scarlet and violet is a far more polished and overall good game then red/blue. you physically cannot play red and blue without encountering a glitch, and that is not an exaggeration. a one year old runs better then red and blue. scarlet and violet is a good game. if your only problem with a game is that it has glitches that are currently being patched out, and are also nowhere near as frequent or bad as you say they are, then maybe you have to consider that it is a good game.
Scarlet and Violet are buggy, ugly games that are boring as sin if you’re not into the specific kind of grinding the postgame encourages and/or have not played many other games. I think palworld is derivative and mostly riding on steam players’ desperation for a survival game that works, but you don’t have to glaze SV in the process of arguing against it lol

edit: I think the most insane thing about SV is that there is no forced gym order yet the levels don’t scale at all. wtf was their game design department cooking

What a shocker. A game from the 1990's is a buggy mess. It's hard to check for and patch bugs, but the games are by no means rushed out. You can't play S/V without encountering a glitch either.

Scarlet and Violet are buggy, ugly games that are boring as sin if you’re not into the specific kind of grinding the postgame encourages and/or have not played many other games. I think palworld is derivative and mostly riding on steam players’ desperation for a survival game that works, but you don’t have to glaze SV in the process of arguing against it lol
for every person calling sv a bad game, you will find another prazing it. this is not a novel concept
Dot eyes is not "Quagmire's face".
Untitled drawing (5).png

i dont know what you are talking about, this seems normal

Well since they're "on a timer" maybe Gamefreak actually should do the type of things that speed up development. At least then their games might look a little better. Like, that's literally the point of stock assets, to save time when resources are limited.
The issue is that if you aren't an indie company you aren't really allowed to get away with that. Also, there is not some major backlog of free-to-download Nintendo Switch game assets lmao.

I have a series S and Palworld doesn't lag at all.
You are wrong. You are either very early into the game, or you are bad at seeing framerates. A lot of people are just bad at seeing visual hiccups, but a trained eye doesn't have to try hard to find frame drops. You can literally look at a random clip of Palworld from a #XboxShare on Twitter and it will be lagging unless it is early enough that the CPU isn't being put to work.

Breath of the Wild exists and blows SV (and Palworld) out of the water visually.
I agree. And I think Pokemon should be able to do better.

Scarlet and Violet are buggy, ugly games that are boring as sin if you’re not into the specific kind of grinding the postgame encourages and/or have not played many other games.
I don't like the tone of this. The idea that if you find SV fun = you don't play many other games is weird to me. I have a PS5, Nintendo Switch, mid-to-low range gaming PC. I've been playing plenty of games rated over a 9/10 on Metacritic that are not just from Nintendo, and I have tried a lot of games in general. And Pokemon Scarlet and Violet is still fun to me because Pokemon is fun to me. I played Metroid Dread, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Nier Automata, replayed Hollow Knight, played God of War (2018), Rain World Downpour, Resident Evil 2, Splatoon 3, Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy 16 and Sekiro last year. I do think that Scarlet and Violet are buggy, ugly games, but I think there is a reason why it sold a lot and a lot of people can still praise the game even past that; Pokemon has a charm to it and it's fun to just run around catching Pokemon. I have played a lot of great games lately, but I could still return to the SV DLC and finish up its new campaign and have a lot of fun.

On launch I completed the Dex and made competitive teams around launch, shiny hunted and ended up totalling around a hundred hours. I put in less time with Tears of the Kingdom, even though Tears of the Kingdom is categorically the better game, because I am just pre-disposed to enjoying the concept of Pokemon Scarlet & Violet more. I really love open world Pokemon, even at its pretty basic form factor.

Ftr BotW is one of my favorite games of all-time, I am just one of the weirdos who thinks BotW was a more compelling experience (at least at the time) in comparison to its sequel.

for every person calling sv a bad game, you will find another prazing it. this is not a novel concept
Translation: For every person pointing out SV's many issues and shortcomings, you will find someone closing their ears and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when someone says something bad about daddy gamefreak.

Translation: For every person pointing out SV's many issues and shortcomings, you will find someone closing their ears and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when someone says something bad about daddy gamefreak.
well im not doing it. list five shortcomings that are not glitches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)