Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Houndoom means you're automatically carrying around a liability (Ninetales). Zard Y can actually fend for itself as long as you don't suicide your Defog user.
I think Mega Houndoom's power more than makes up for having to carry around Ninetails. Besides, Specially Defensive Ninetails with a base 100 speed W-o-W isn't that bad, especially because it will be able to switch in on non-Azumarill fairies now.

Anyone can do calculations without context.

First of all, Swords Dance still exists you know. Blaziken is primarily a sweeper, not some designated Baton Passer. The same calc deals 82.41 - 97.52% at +2. That's a 62.5% chance to OHKO with SR, and considering how MegaSaur lacks Leftovers, chances are it'll have some residual damage. Only in lalaland is MegaSaur a check to Blaziken.

Venusaur I concede can check some Tyranitar variants. However, the Choice Band variant is not one of them. On paper, it looks fine and dandy, but then you realize MegaSaur runs no Speed, and sometimes even runs a -Speed nature. Assuming neutral nature an no investment from MegaSaur, Tyranitar can simply run 156 Speed EVs to outspeed it. 76 Speed EVs is a BW2 relic, and if hypothetically MegaSaur is top 30 OU or something, it will convert to the new spread. To be a check/counter, Venusaur has to be the one switching in, taking a hit right off the bat for at least 46.97%. Without Leftovers, Sand Stream tacks on another 6.25% toll, leaving MegaSaur at 46.78%. In this hypothetical scenario, we're assuming MegaSaur is relevant and therefore CBTar will run the EVs to outspeed it, but hold on, the next Stone Edge is a KO! Even factoring in Stone Miss, MegaSaur has a 64% chance to bite the dust before it even moves, blech. I'm too lazy to go in and do Assault Vest Ttar calcs, but I'd assume it'd just be two Pokemon bouncing weak moves off each other for a 124893HKO or something.

Venusaur>Azumarill 1v1, but CB Azumarill's job is to hit and run. Over the course of a game, eating repeated CB Returns is not fun. No competent player would even try to set up Belly Drum Azumarill until it's counters are disposed of.

I do like MegaSaur's matchup against Rotom-W, but there are ways to deal with the washing machine without giving up your mega slot.
Your examples do absolutely nothing to detract from my argument, as Blaziken will just get KOd by EQ due to LO recoil and Flare Blitz recoil. Did you not see that part? Blaziken should just get out of there, as I'm sure you don't want to waste your Blaziken on a MVenusaur. After all, rocks are not guaranteed due to the new ways of getting rid of them, so it's a little more complicated now.

Also, CBtar is kind of silly in my opinion. I just used it as an example, as it's absurdly easy to deal with once its locked into a move. Most other variants just can't deal with MSaur, and that's the important part.

And Azumarill gets almost all of its efforts undone by a single Giga Drain, and is near KO range. Azumarill will never try to take on a Venusaur, as there are just so few scenarios where that turns out well.

It's viable, and I don't think you've said a thing that has made me think otherwise. It's a monstrous tank, and is worth consideration. Will it be OU for sure? No, but it is viable. You do know that a lot of UU and even RU pokemon are viable, right? I mean, the term is clear on this.

Viable
vi·a·ble
ˈvīəbəl/
adjective
  1. capable of working successfully; feasible.
That seems like a fit, to me.

I REALLY like Mega Aerodactyl. Fantastic speed. Out speeds sooo much.

That bullet punch from scizor or sucker punch from m-mawile or m-kangaskhan hurts a lot though, not to mention all three have the option of adding +2 to their attack if they anticipate the switch, with m-kanga hoping that the switch-in isn't a ghost (*cough m-gengar*).

That bullet punch from scizor or sucker punch from m-mawile or m-kangaskhan hurts a lot though, not to mention all three have the option of adding +2 to their attack if they anticipate the switch, with m-kanga hoping that the switch-in isn't a ghost (*cough m-gengar*).
80/85/95 bulk is surprisingly resilient, with only a CB Azumarill having a chance to 1HKO(from the SE side). The thing can take a beating.

Sub Gengar says hi lol
That's one pokemon.

And if Kanga is running EQ or Crunch it still wins. [Or heaven forbid it predicts the Gengar switch and dosen't M.Evo and uses Scrappy Return!]

Also on the topic of Mega Venusaur; don't forget it is also weak to Psychic and it has a lower sp.def than physical defense in Mega form. While admittedly special-attacking psychics are going out of fashion due to Lati@s not being released and Ageislash existing; it's a factor none the less to note.

Hmm, haven't read much mention of Mega Pinsir ([EDIT]: I was lazy and didn't scroll through the whole thread.). It's actually a pretty dangerous sweeper, with Aerilate and STAB basically raising Return to around a 200 BP attack, and has some, albeit slightly average, but decent 60/120/90 defenses. Not to mention it's much appreciated Flying-type priority in Quick Attack (Those feels when you could revenge kill Blaziken before it was banned) and solid coverage in Earthquake and Close Combat, and to top it all off, Swords Dance. This thing should never be dismissed, as it can 2HKO max Def. Skarmory with a +2 Return with a neutral Nature after Stealth Rock damage.

It does work. My Gardevoir traced Parental Bond numerous times and it proceeded to wreck shit afterwards if it managed to defeat Kanga that turn. Only works if you know Kanga does not run maximum speed though, but with MegaZam you won't have that problem. However, MegaZam surely dies to a +0 Sucker Punch while Garde does not.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
From my pre bank experience, this is how I'd rank the top 5 in terms of how threatening they are:

1. Charizard X
2. Kangaskhan
3. Gengar
4. Special Lucario
5. Physical Lucario

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Mega Gengar hands down is one of the best. It ensures 2+ kills per match. I've been getting greater numbers running him along with a U-Turn/Volt Switch team. His ability along with his speed is def the main reason he's a killer. Mega Blastoise is great if you know how to use him ex. he's not supposed to be taking big hits.

I haven't used M Khangaskan but it's difficult to face.

In my experience the biggest threats have been:

1. Kangaskhan
2. Gengar
3. Lucario
4. Mawhile
5. Gyarados

Kangaskhan is just scary. If you don't have priority fighting, a way to burn him, or someone with rocky helmet he can be an absolute pain that can take down teams single handily. Gengar is unpredictable, and can usually take out at least one pokemon even if played against correctly. If the opponent can successfully mega evolve and switch gengar out, he now has one of the best revenge killers in pokemon history, who has access to STAB shadow ball which is only resisted by darks, shadow tag which is just silly and even destiny bond. scary. Lucario can play both physical and special sweeper and has priority. With proper team support he is an awesome sweeper. Adaptability is awesome for him. Mawhile is also very scary, and if he gets up a sword dance u better pray you have someone who can take a sucker punch or has WoW on a predicted sucker punch. Not so easy. Then we have gyarados. Gyarados becomes difficult to playa gainst because of how different his counters are when he's normal and mega evolved.

Number one and two are easily Mega Kangaskan and Mega Gengar. I'm still not entirely sure how to reliably handle MegaKan, I've been having to burn it and whittle it down through switching into predicted resists x.x Megar is just stupid, picking off whatever it wants, suiciding with Destiny Bond for one last pick... Its pretty nasty.

Number three? I'm not too sure. The other Megas are much more balanced, they seem to fit one role and act like any other Pokemon. Although I'd be scared to try to switch in Megawile or Megacham any time soon (yes, Megacham is way too viable. Dat Hi Jump Kick, speed is decent now too).

All the Megas are viable, just some are more viable in lower tiers.

MAbsol, MMedicham, MManectric, MHoundoom are all examples of quite good Megas that will most likely fall to UU due to the prevalence of the other Megas.

I agree that the best Megas are MGengar and MKangaskhan. If I had to put a third one up there, it'd probably be MVenusaur. Thick fat means it lols at Ice/Fire attacks, and it has great bulk and attacking/supporting options to be a very good defensive mon.

Number one and two are easily Mega Kangaskan and Mega Gengar. I'm still not entirely sure how to reliably handle MegaKan, I've been having to burn it and whittle it down through switching into predicted resists x.x Megar is just stupid, picking off whatever it wants, suiciding with Destiny Bond for one last pick... Its pretty nasty.

Number three? I'm not too sure. The other Megas are much more balanced, they seem to fit one role and act like any other Pokemon. Although I'd be scared to try to switch in Megawile or Megacham any time soon (yes, Megacham is way too viable. Dat Hi Jump Kick, speed is decent now too).
Sableye is a full stop to Kangaskhan, and Rocky Helmet works well for other Pokemon to take advantage of Parental Bond to beat it up. But otherwise, it's really tricky to deal with.

I haven't had much trouble dealing with Medicham, personally, but Mawile can be a real pain.

Sableye is a full stop to Kangaskhan, and Rocky Helmet works well for other Pokemon to take advantage of Parental Bond to beat it up. But otherwise, it's really tricky to deal with.

I haven't had much trouble dealing with Medicham, personally, but Mawile can be a real pain.
Well, I have been looking for a Prankster user... Never really tried Sableye, though I'm not sure why. That said, Kangaskan can hit you before it Megas with Scrappy, but if you do get in, Kanga gets burned.

Medicham is an interesting case. Its got coverage, priority, an excellent pair of STAB moves, one reliable and one obscenely powerful, but its typing is a bit awkward and its stats are a little lacking, though serviceable. Really though, you just kind of treat it like Haxorus and outspeed or play around it. Just don't get hit by Hi Jump Kick if you're neutral.

Mawile is underrated, though. Its bulk, power, typing, abilities, and moveset come together really well and are really tough to switch into.

Well, I have been looking for a Prankster user... Never really tried Sableye, though I'm not sure why. That said, Kangaskan can hit you before it Megas with Scrappy, but if you do get in, Kanga gets burned.
Scrappy isn't a big deal; regular Kangaskhan is really weak. Return won't do much, and Power-Up Punch does even less and only boosts once. As long as Sableye stays healthy, you can switch it into Kangaskhan whenever you want without fear from anything it can throw at you in either form. Knock Off is an annoyance, but that's Pokebank-only.

Really? MegaLucario? It hasn't been a threat to me in any team, any battle....ever. MegaKhan is by far the best, next probably MegaGengar or MegaGyarados, mainly because of the unpredictability MegaGyara has. You can bluff a standard life orb set by just doing a Dragon Dance and staying put, waiting for the Rotom-W to come in and BAM !! Mold Breaker EQ !! Its amazing how many things you can kill with this mon, seriously. After them idk, maybe MegaBlastoise? I used it for a while and man it hurts when it attacks. Haven't tried MegaVenusaur that much but it is tough to bring down... MegaAbsol is cool too

Anyone not saying mega gengar hasn't played someone using him correctly. Lucario is a huge threat, and mega gyarados pre bank is very good.

Really? MegaLucario? It hasn't been a threat to me in any team, any battle....ever. MegaKhan is by far the best, next probably MegaGengar or MegaGyarados, mainly because of the unpredictability MegaGyara has. You can bluff a standard life orb set by just doing a Dragon Dance and staying put, waiting for the Rotom-W to come in and BAM !! Mold Breaker EQ !! Its amazing how many things you can kill with this mon, seriously. After them idk, maybe MegaBlastoise? I used it for a while and man it hurts when it attacks. Haven't tried MegaVenusaur that much but it is tough to bring down... MegaAbsol is cool too
Mega lucario is freaking amazing. It lands 0-2hkos on (I want to say all) of the metagame, boost or not. Plus it's fast as fuck (not really) and can switch in on a lot.

As for your other comments, doesn't megados have adaptability?

Mega lucario is freaking amazing. It lands 0-2hkos on (I want to say all) of the metagame, boost or not. Plus it's fast as fuck (not really) and can switch in on a lot.

As for your other comments, doesn't megados have adaptability?
Megados has Mold Breaker. Great, as the other poster said, for killing Rotom.

I really don't think that Mega-Kanga is AS good as everyone has made him out to be just because of a few glaring weaknesses, most notably Ferrothorn, one of the most common OU pokemon. As soon as Kanga comes out I predict a fake out, which against a rocky helmet ferrothorn is just beautiful. Kanga's Earthquake after that still does little damage, and it lets you set up spikes or rocks since you can be pretty sure the opponenet will switch out. Or you could always go with a power whip, which will hit the kanga for it's remaining 50% health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)