Viable Creative Movesets/Ev Spreads

Okay, it's pretty simple, kinda like the analysis index was. Just click the name of the pokemon you wanna see the set and description for. Now all that's left is for Articanus to come in with the ubers sets and we'll be up to date (finally I can clear my inbox)! The list is shorter than I'd have liked it to be though, for 108 pages.....

Guys for the sake of neatness just don't post. The big dudes are leaving this open so that I can edit so just don't post so that this thread can stay neat and user-friendly.

Banette - Trick Room
Blaziken - Bulk Up Pass
Blaziken - Sunny Day
Crobat - Screech
Dragonite - Bulky Light Screen
Dragonite - Bulky Substitute
Drifblim - Calm Mind Rest
Dusknoir - Memento
Glaceon - Resttalk
Groudon - Rock Polish
Honchkrow - Anti Lead
Linoone - Trick Belly Drum
Lucario - Substitute Calm Mind
Luxray - Lead Support
Magcargo - Support
Medicham - Bulky Bulk Up
Metagross - Icy Wind
Mewtwo - Scarf
Ninetales - Grudge
Porygon-Z - Subsalac
Primeape - 1st Gen Mixape
Rotom - Status Trick
Salamence - Subroost
Sceptile - Subpunch
Sceptile - Swords Dance Mixed
Staraptor - Physical Bulk
Tyranitar - Fast Mixed
Tyranitar - Screech
Yanmega - Reversal

if someone could sticky this so it doesn't die that'd be great. any discussion/other reasons to post should go here so that this thread stays neat.

bumping because 700 views is a very discouraging number when so much work was put in. so yea. I also need to find out which of these sets were made into peer edits so I can remove them.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CMLucario was made by Articanus and BulkyDDNite was made by Twash_Man or Raikoulover iirc.

I can do my Sub Salac P-Z set as a peer edit, unless you have done so. I'll comb through the other ones and see which I could peer edit for you. I love the creative movesets project and don't want to see it go to waste.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Erhm, yeah I wonder if the original posters will be credited

The honchkrow set is kind of outdated due to platinum.
Well yeah that's my anti-krow from like, a year ago. Except that the nature was switched from Naughty to Naive (though why naive when you have only 6 speed evs is beyond me), the entire body of text is copied and pasted from one of my REALLY old posts (nearly a whole year ago I'd guess). Kind of honored that it got picked out, considering it was like my 6th post and I was a total noob at competitive battling at the time (had all of 1 month of experience of lurking around here).

Reading through it again, I almost have to laugh at how different things were then. I mean Ninjask, Heracross and Breloom (lol lead starmie)? Hippowdon and Ambipom are mentioned as concern pokemon? You can really tell the leads of the time were different. I didn't even give Bronzong the dignity of its own post! Though that was probably in part because the HP fire calcs were less than impressive if I recall . . . yay Heatwave, lol

But yeah. Heatwave goes quite far to remove the need for Drill Peck (though still very useful if krow needs to see action later on), especially since you won't be seeing breloom or heracross (lol) though still useful when you see a roserade. >.>

Super Power gives you a way to answer Tyranitar!

Taunt is potentially a good idea over whirlwind for obvious reasons (I had little experience with the move when I made the set). Though all things equal, things like Smeargle and Ninjask will probably hate roar more.

I'm not entirely sure how crediting would work. tbh, I'm really too lazy to go through 100 pages of a messy thread again, just so people can get credit for their sets. to me, it's not that important, but if someone wants credit for a set, they can just pm asking me to put in their name. yea, some of this stuff is outdated with platinum coming in, so I'll have to fix that too. as far as putting these sets into peer edits, I"d rather people didnt' because that would only make the list smaller ;_; but I realize that it probably has to be done anyways, so i may help out there too. I guess I'll start updating soon!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Erhm, yeah I wonder if the original posters will be credited.
Attribution is such a complicated, needlessly dramatic deal that I don't see a need to preserve it in the analysis. For example, who made Agility Empoleon, me or Lee? Who made Techmontop/Technitop? I can really see it only leading to problems. Then people will claim that they "invented" brain dead obvious sets like Choices Specs Salamence or Swords Dance Scizor...

Jumpman16 created SpecsMence and Fanasty "perfected" SD Scizor although who created it isn't known (Since it was probably done when the analysis first came out).

Stellar did and uploaded "support" macargo.

cim

But who "created" it doesn't matter. It's like saying who "created" CB Heracross. It doesn't matter, it's one of the most obvious sets in Pokémon... not like these are "obvious" or anything, but more than one people can claim to invent something...

The problem of multiple people claiming attribution, leading to drama, is again a needless problem we can avoid by not attributing sets to their "inventors". It's not like one should expect a "reward" for their work of thinking up a creative set.

basically I'm with chrisisme on this. if you really WANT credit that badly, well then do a peer edit. I mean, honestly, there will be such huge disputes and whatnot. it's really just something that will just make tihs thread worse.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol, I bet jump is gonna get a kick out of "inventing SpecsMence."

No crediting, it's lame.

Honestly, if you really were one of the first few individuals to use a set, and if you really did use it effectively, the community will know anyway.

Otherwise, it's kind of a pathetic attempt at glory.

I'm sorry Stathakis, I already made a Peer Edit for Porygon-Z... if you would like me to take it down, I can do so. I just looked at the Porygon-Z analysis and felt it should be on there.

Is there any reason in particular you don't want these made into peer edits? Just curious... I'm not questioning your reasons.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, no. If these sets are indeed found to be viable, they will be made into peer edits lol.

That is the entire point of searching through the thread.

Ok, whew... I was pretty happy with how that porygon-z analysis was turning out too, I didn't really want to take it down.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to make a peer edit for the "Physical Bulk" Staraptor if that's ok. I'm really suprised that set isn't in the analysis, seems pretty good to me.

I'll start on it soon unless someone voices any concerns.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Attribution is such a complicated, needlessly dramatic deal that I don't see a need to preserve it in the analysis. For example, who made Agility Empoleon, me or Lee? Who made Techmontop/Technitop? I can really see it only leading to problems. Then people will claim that they "invented" brain dead obvious sets like Choices Specs Salamence or Swords Dance Scizor...
I agree with that. It's even more stupid when you consider that we're all just using screen names anyway.

In any case though, I just felt weirded out seeing the exact text from my post ages ago copied and pasted with a change to the set that I would not agree with. I know this is a public forum, but directly copying and pasting seems both strange and wrong to the academic in me.

In any case, for both the sake of keeping the format consistant and making sure sets do not look simply outdated, I would say that it would be best not to do direct copying and pasting (though I know re-writing takes more work).

Aldaron

geriatric
O btw, there are a few sets here that I would personally rip apart in peer edits.

The Bulky Staraptor was a bunch of hot air and barely effective (I mean, try and compare it to my Bulky Salamence...that too was initially met with furrowed brows but is now one of the most effective and popular sets. Forgetting that you never even see a Bulky Staraptor, tell me if you have honestly ever seen this used effectively in a really competitive environment...yea don't think so...). I think I even supported it in the beginning (to the theorymonist in me, it sounded cool), but after playing with it for a bit I decided it was underwhelming. People can try and say "o it isn't that bad in practice," but frankly speaking, I am calling bullshit. I remember playing against a few of these (maybe 3 or 4?), and they were barely effective.

I'm also calling bullshit against the Memento Dusknoir, Grudge Ninetales and Reversal Yanmega sets.

If you guys want to try and make these 4 into peer edits, I'm going to personally ask for numerous logs displaying their effectiveness.

The rest "seem" like they would be fine, so my reaction to them will depend on the quality of the peer edit.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea after reviewing the set a bit more and talking it over with Syberia Bulkyraptor probably doesn't need a slot in the strat dex. Maybe I'll choose something later from here.

Edit- I think I'd like to do the Rest CM Drifblim if that's ok, I've heard a lot of great things and I've seen it in action a few times, seems pretty solid.

Ok, whew... I was pretty happy with how that porygon-z analysis was turning out too, I didn't really want to take it down.
lol don't take down your peer edit =/

aldaron is right, and I'm simply trying to make it look like I actually did something by having more of these things here rather than onsite, though I guess that is ultimately where they'll end up.

also I suppose things like bulky raptor and physical yanmega would belong here as they don't really "qualify" to be standard sets but are still pretty effective, just not worth peer edit time.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Any of these that seem to be viable I have no problem writing up. I just need to look at some of these and see which actually work and such.

cim

I remember reading Aldaron's Salamence sets on Veekun and trying to decide if he was a genius or completely nuts.

Anyway, another comment on BulkyRaptor... I've heard that set hyped like few others, which of course pisses me off to the point where I try it. It seems like it just forces switches, and only if the opponent happens to be a physical attacker. It didn't do shit to Zapdos, Metagross, or some of his other counters, and all it did was (gasp) make them take a little more SR damage. woo hoo...

This reminds me, I need to finish my gimmick Lunatone-as-Heatran-and-Azelf counter post.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Since I'm planning on going to UU and leave OU for a while, I'm going to test the potential of Glaceon and Magargo and the Rotom because the 3 pokemon seem pretty interesting pokemon sets on paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)