Pet Mod ViAbilities

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Good thing I have about 50 lines in a word document about changes to existing abilities. Very convenient.

Ability: Anticipation
New Effect: Defensive clone of Download: the opponent's higher attack stat raises the user's Physical/Special defense by one stage in response. In return, it lowers the other defensive stat. The original effect is removed.
Competitive Reasoning: Pretty similar to Robot7620's submission, but works based on the opponent. Anticipation is a interesting ability for a couple key users who suffer from 4x weaknesses to a type. Being able to scout for this coverage is "useful", but with Hidden Power gone, a lot less necessary. A clone of Download which improves the Pokemon's defensive potential is really powerful, as it provides both protection and scouting. I did feel it might be a bit too strong, so the other defensive stat is decreased as well, making it vulnerable to mixed attackers or surprise tech.
Thematic Reasoning: If the Pokemon is able to detect what move(s) a Pokemon may have, then it follows it could "anticipate" the strength of a Pokemon and prepare for an attack in response. As it does this, it sacrifices its other defenses.
Comments:
:ferrothorn:Does this make Ferrothorn too bulky? It definitely takes hits better, but losing the passive damage from Iron Barbs makes it a lot safer for Pokemon to hit it with contact moves. The ability also makes itself known immediately, so you can play around it rather quickly.
:hatterene:Probably not going to be used over Magic Bounce, but it could still definitely use it for slower setup attempts. Also means you don't get Parting Shot'd out of existence.
:whiscash:A meme, but it's definitely much more of a bulky Water/Ground type now that it can have a +1 defensive advantage.

Ability: Emergency Exit
New Effect: The user now switches out at the very end of the turn, instead of during the turn.
Competitive Reasoning: This is a much more user-friendly version of Emergency Exit, keeping the interesting effects and potential "balance reasons" that it embraces. It allows you to get a strong attack off after going under 50% HP, and then leave to bring a teammate in. Makes the ability a lot more tactical than frustrating.
Thematic Reasoning: Golisopod leaving at the first moment of danger goes against its powerful presence. At the same time, this value seems intrinsic towards its design. Now it continues to switch out forcefully when threatened, but won't do so until the opponent is retaliated against.
Comments:
:golisopod:Much more reliable now, while retaining the drawbacks. Being the original First Impression user, it can continue its gimmick of high-priority pressure as it switches around, but won't be prevented from an attack once knocked below 50%. This means that, if your in a match-up that looks good, but suddenly isn't, you can still get damage off and then reposition yourself at the same time.

Ability: Klutz
New Effect: The user's contact moves will remove the opponent's items, but it will lose its own item upon being hit by any attack.
Competitive Reasoning: Klutz is a bad ability limited to tricking garbage items onto your opponents, and nobody has ever made this work effectively and consistently. A Pokemon with Klutz is now able to remove items from the opponent with any contact move, making it a very powerful disruptive tool, but is also prone to losing their own items from any form of direct damage.
Thematic Reasoning: A klutz would clumsily knock off items from its opponents as it attacks them directly, while also being unable to hold onto its own item when hurt.
Comments:
:bewear:Giving up Fluffy can be hard, but the ability to hit hard and cripple the opponent further could make it a devastating breaker.
:golurk:Similar case here. No Guard and Iron Fist are both pretty good on it, so you'd have to be willing to sacrifice them (and your item, generally) for Klutz.
:swoobat:Despite the bad Attack and limited movepool, imagine combining U-Turn and Knock Off in the same slot.

Ability: Rivalry
New Effect: Increases damage dealt to Pokemon that share a type by 30%. Original effect removed.
Competitive Reasoning: Being based on Gender is interesting, but completely random most of the time. Being based on a shared type makes it easier to build around and adjustable to the current state of a given metagame.
Thematic Reasoning: Imagine being a really cool Dragon with great Attack and Speed, but not being OU because people think the other Dragon's are better. I'd be right miffed, and so is Haxorus. In general, the Pokemon sees another with similar typing and becomes more aggressive to assert dominance.

Ability: Steelworker
New Effect: Now also gains 1/2 the defensive affects of the Steel type, including resistances and weaknesses. No immunity to Poison damage, but does gain a 1/2 resistance to Poison.
Competitive Reasoning: With the introduction of Steely Spirit, this ability is entirely outclassed in functionality. It now gains partial Steel typing, including both positive and negatives, but without the Poison Immunity.
Thematic Reasoning: Although the main body of Dhelmise is the dead seaweed, it is completely defined by the ship wreckage it has taken control of, namely the anchor is swings around to attack.
Comments:
:dhelmise:Now the Steel it always wanted to be. Adds a lot to its defensive potential and gives it a completely unique set of resistances.

A couple less interesting changes

Ability: Leaf Guard
New Effect: Sun clone of Hydration.
Competitive Reasoning: You know all the fun things you can do with Hydration + Rest? Leaf Guard doesn't know.
Thematic Reasoning: Works similarly to Hydration in the first place. Exciting.

Ability: Limber
New Effect: User is also immune to trapping effects of all kinds.
Competitive Reasoning: The main forms of trapping may be banned, but other methods still exist, like Mean Look and Spirit Shackle. Limber adds to the pool of Pokemon which can ignore the effects.
Thematic Reasoning: A limber Pokemon would be able to work their way out of a trap.

And, the most potentially dangerous of them all...

Ability: Receiver
New Effect: The user receives a teammate's stat changes when the original Pokemon switches via a pivot move (U-Turn, Teleport), but with a hard cap of no more than +2. Original effect removed.
Competitive Reasoning: Useless in Singles play. This change gives it a use in Singles, allowing a Pokemon to set itself up for a teammate similar to Baton Pass, but limited to itself and its recipient in a one-way interaction and without going to extremes.
Thematic Reasoning: A different interpretation of the term receiver. Rather than taking an ability, it gains the stat changes of a teammate to either complete a set-up attempt. You could have a Pokemon set itself up, but if they are threatened out, can pass those boosts to another Pokemon to take advantage of them.
Comments:
:passimian:Wow, okay. You could use Klinklang to Shift Gear and then Volt Switch for some great Speed and Attack, Shell Smash with Cloyster and Teleport out for some insane boosts, have one Pokemon increase Special Defense and pivot out so you can start using Bulk Up, or just have a really fat Pokemon give you Bulk Ups for free. The +2 limit is so that you don't have TeleDrum Clefable giving it a free +6 Attack, among other things.

Last edited:
Ability: Steelworker
New Effect: Now also gains 1/2 the defensive affects of the Steel type, including resistances and weaknesses. No immunity to Poison damage, but does gain a 1/2 resistance to Poison.
Competitive Reasoning: With the introduction of Steely Spirit, this ability is entirely outclassed in functionality. It now gains partial Steel typing, including both positive and negatives, but without the Poison Immunity.
Thematic Reasoning: Although the main body of Dhelmise is the dead seaweed, it is completely defined by the ship wreckage it has taken control of, namely the anchor is swings around to attack.
Comments:
:dhelmise:Now the Steel it always wanted to be. Adds a lot to its defensive potential and gives it a completely unique set of resistances.
Steelworker isn't on the list of abilities to be modified, and can't be submitted. You might have skipped over the list, which is understandable, so there's now a copy of it under the main thread and it'll be updated in each new slate.

Flame Body: In addition to its current effect (30 percent chance of burning opponent if you're hit with a physical move), Normal moves are given the Fire type and increase in power by 20 percent.
Thematic inspiration: they are literally on fire
Competitive reasoning: extra firepower-literally.
Who could use it: pretty much every Pokémon that gets it would appreciate a little more oomph on their Fire moves.

Ability: Plus
New effect: Boosts the Pokemon's highest stat by 2 stages upon entering.
Thematic reason: It boosts the Pokemon highest stat by two stages because... Well, it's called plus. You know, one of the terms in math of adding something.

Competitive reasoning: Only Klinklang (and it's pre evolutions) and Toxtricity get it this gen, but they'd both use this upgrade well. Klinklang could use it to have it be bulky enough to withstand a physical hit from many things to set up shift gear, or it can adjust the EVs to where attack is the highest so it can reach serious levels of power along with the speed sharply boosted. However it wouldn't be as easy to set up shift gear as if you had defense as the highest. Toxtricity could use such a buff to still be very strong when using the scarf set, and reach crazy heights of power with the specs set. However, that means you will be slower. 75 speed ain't all that good.
I have to veto this, +2 on each Pokemon's stat is utterly absurd. Even with its meager speed, +2 Special Attack Toxtricity with a Choice Scarf would delete so many Pokemon way too easily.

If more Pokemon got plus, then it'd be only one stage. However, since only Toxtricity and Klinklang and it's evolution get such, I think it'd be just fine.
There's absolutely no guarantee that more Pokemon won't be getting Plus, either through submissions in the second stage or in the DLC.

However, I will not be giving them any buffs, as I think the new plus is enough of one.
Also, I feel like I should clarify that the person who changes the ability isn't necessarily the one who will buff the Pokemon with that ability, which is why there's 2 separate stages instead of just one.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I have to veto this, +2 on each Pokemon's stat is utterly absurd. Even with its meager speed, +2 Special Attack Toxtricity with a Choice Scarf would delete so many Pokemon way too easily.
Alright then I'll nerf the buff to +1 for the highest stat for the sake of balancing the ability, I don't want it to be useless, but not op either.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Ability: Run Away
New Effect: Upon switch-in, user will have Speed increased by 1 stage if the opponent have a Super Effective move.
Competitive Reasoning: This gives both :rapidash: and :rapidash-galar: packing a faster Speed as a punishment to anything carrying a coverage move (i.e. Flash Cannon against Galarian Rapidash) and to make up for their average Attack stat. While :thievul:'s Unburden offer doubling Speed, this version of Run Away doesn't require an item consumption which is generally one-time.
Thematic Reasoning: Even if they have to fight, a scared Pokémon would want to run faster in order to survive. It also helps explains how it is able to run away from anything that would normally outrun it.

Ability: Justified
New Effect: Any Pokémon with this Ability becomes immune to Dark-type damage. Still raise higher Attack by 1 stage if hit by a Dark-type move.
Competitive Reasoning: Dark-type is ubiquitous thanks to Knock Off and other very viable moves of that type (though Pursuit is left behind, for better and for worse, mostly for the better). While not numerous, Pokémon with Justified can foil a Knock Off spamming and allows them to not worry about losing their item. While :cobalion:, :virizion: and :keldeo: don't have Attack as their highest stat, they would definitely appreciate not losing their item just because of a cheeky Knock Off click.
Thematic Reasoning: Aside of consistency with other Abilities that goes "if hit by a move of specific type, take no damage and boost a specific type by 1 stage", anyone with a strong sense of justice would not fall victim of dirty attacks quite easily.

Ability: Rivalry
New Effect: This Pokemon's attacks do 1.25x on same gender targets. (Note: Ignores the debuff of the original ability)
Competitive Reasoning: Simply boosts moves on a (theoretical) 1/3 chance. Not insanely overpowered but removes the drawback that makes it virtually useless. Not as strong as Tough Claws but applies to all moves but only against certain opponents.
Thematic Reasoning: Nothing about having a rivalry implies going easier on nonrivals. Otherwise the theme stands as it is in the vanilla metagame.

Could you pull together a list of all submitted abilities in one post so we can see them? Thanks!
All of the submissions are in the second and third pages with the few non-submission messages being very short, and you can use Find In Page to search for any ability or user's submissions that you might be interested in.

Oh gosh there are so many I want to vote
This was so hard to pick

Going wiiith...

Yung Dramps's Receiver
Bmw6446's Cursed Body
Adou's Anticipation
Hematite's Telepathy
shnowshner's Klutz

... in chronological order by post, not necessarily order of preference
just saying there are a whole lot more I would support if they can be resubmitted when their specific Ability is slated

(also guys it's basically just every post since the last page... someone else compiling them is not going to save you any time)

Last edited:
Yoshiblaze's Forewarn
Bmw6446's Cursed Body
Leonard's Plus
Adou's Hyper Cutter
War Incarnate's Anticipation

Last edited:
Tangled Feet [AquaticPanic]
I'm a big Mr. Rime fan, and it seems like this would be a simple but fun ability that would really augment its current strengths.
Stench [6Roggenrolas]
No bias here!
Battery [leonard (from big bang theory)]
Incorporating non-useful moves like Charge as abilities is always interesting (and often effective) so this seems like a cool idea.
Cute Charm [Ninetales Dragons]
The same idea of "Special Intimidate" was also floated with Unnerve but I think this is the better choice, considering it has wider distribution and is on less viable mons that need the help more. and clefable needs 3 good abilities
Klutz [showshner]
Keeps the core essence of the ability (screwing with items) but reduces the uncontrollable gimmick aspect.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Cute Charm (Ninetales Dragon)
Analytic (Bmw6446)
Battery (Leonard)
Anticipation (Shnowshner)
Ice Body (Gravity Monkey)

Tangled Feet [AquaticPanic]
Klutz [shnowshner]
Anticipation [Adou]
Analytic [Bmw6446]
Battery [Leonard (from big bang theory)]

Last edited:
Cute Charm [Ninetales Dragons]
The same idea of "Special Intimidate" was also floated with Unnerve but I think this is the better choice, considering it has wider distribution and is on less viable mons that need the help more. and clefable needs 3 good abilities
Hey, just a heads-up - I think you've misread what the Ability is! Cute Charm here lowers Special Defense, not Special Attack; your explanation suggests that you think it's the same as the proposed Unnerve but on different Pokémon, so I thought I should point that out just to be safe. I don't want to stop you for voting for it if that's what you want, but I do want to make sure you know what it actually is!

Last edited:
Battery (leonard (from big bang theory))
Forewarn (Yoshiblaze)
Tangled Feet (AquaticPanic)
Stench (6Roggenrolas)
Anticipation (shnowshner)

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Battery (leonard (from big bang theory))
Swarm (Yung Dramps)
Hyper Cutter (Adou)
Stench (6Roggenrolas)
Klutz (shnowshner)

I picked ones which I felt were functionally unique/powerful enough to make this meta stand out. Battery may have one user as of now but it sounds extremely fun to play with, Swarm is much more interesting and has a ton of potentially viable users, Hyper Cutter is very straightforward in what it wants to accomplish, Stench introduces a crucial Fairy immunity into the mix, and Klutz provides a couple Pokemon with some severe offensive pressure.

We now are at a 4-way tie for the 4th and 5th place spots between 6Roggenrolas's Stench, AquaticPanic's Tangled Feet, Ninetales Dragons's Cute Charm, and Yung Dramps's Receiver. We'll now be beginning a tiebreaker between these. Vote for one ability and the two with the highest amount of votes will be added.

6Roggenrolas said:
Ability: Stench
New Effect: The Pokemon is immune to Fairy attacks; This Pokemon's moves ignore the effects of Misty Terrain.
Thematic Reasoning: Stench reminds me of immunity abilities like Levitate or Lightning Rod, as it's a simple reflection of one of the mon's most obvious traits. Considering their general cleanliness and connection to nature, it makes sense that Fairies would be unable to work their magic in the face of an awful stench reeking of pollution.
Competitive Reasoning: Fairy has been one of the best types in the game since its introduction, and an immunity to it would prove a pretty valuable trait. Mons like Sylveon, Primarina and Mimikyu will no longer be guaranteed to get off damage with their strong Fairy Stabs when a Stench mon is on your team. (The 1/10 flinch, needless to say, was very luck-based and almost useless regardless of that). The Misty Terrain thing is just a small extra benefit, since all other immunity abilities have one.
Buffed Mons:

Definitely benefits the most, as it normally took sizable damage from most decent Fairy moves. It can take hits well from most standard sets of Mimikyu or Grimmsnarl, thanks to its useful resistances and Prankster immunity.

Could be a real pain, considering its variety of status options to torture whatever comes in to replace a Fairy type that's been forced out. Doesn't change much, but certainly a more reliable option than its previous abilities.

Makes hazard-stacking duties significantly easier, especially against choiced or support fairies. Wasn't taking a whole lot of damage from Fairy moves to start with, but seeing as it lacks reliable recovery every little bit helps.

Benefits the least, since Levitate will still be preferable in most situations. However, it is at least given a classic Bronzong-esque opportunity for confusing opponents (and unlike with Bronzong both buffed Stench and Levitate provide actual immunity).
AquaticPanic said:
Ability: Tangled Feet
New Effect: When hit by an attack, +1 Speed
Thematic Reasoning: Took the old effect of speed boosting and amplified it
Competitive Reasoning:

1589508655748.png
One of Rime's biggest issues is low speed. This helps that, just switch in on a resited move and you're already pretty well set.
Ninetales Dragons said:
Ability: Cute Charm
New Effect: Intimidate, but for Special Defense.
Competitive Reasoning: Most users of this Ability are more Special than Physical, so dropping Special Defense will help them get more damage in.
Thematic Reasoning: The opponent(s) will drop their guard after seeing how "cute" the user is.
Yung Dramps said:
Ability: Receiver
New Effect: Now works in Singles when a teammate faints. Does not work with abilities that provide a flat, unconditional boost to offenses (eg Huge Power or Hustle)
Thematic Reasoning: The user has its fainted ally pass over its ability. However it's so rambunctious already that it can't handle extra power for worry of going off the handle!
Notable Pokemon:

While it can't break the game with partners like Diggersby or Dracozolt, you still got a well of creativity opened up with the ability to copy any other ability! How about an annoying offensive Regenerator pivot when your Toxapex goes down? Perhaps some Contrary shenanigans with Malamar? How about pairing up with Sand Rush Excadrill or Chlorophyll Venusaur for a back-up sweeper on their respective weather teams?

With that said, the top three are as follows:

1. leonard (from big bang theory)'s Battery with 7 votes
    leonard)(from big bang theory) said:
    Ability:Battery
    New Effect: Upon switching in, the user and any allies automatically use Charge
    Thematic Reasoning: A charged up battery provides extra power.
    Notable Buffs:
    Trades away the defensive potential of Levitate for boosted Special Defense and a stronger first attack. Gives it an absolutely nuclear Volt Switch.
  2. shnowsher's Klutz with 5 votes
    shnowsher said:
    Ability: Klutz
    New Effect: The user's contact moves will remove the opponent's items, but it will lose its own item upon being hit by any attack.
    Competitive Reasoning: Klutz is a bad ability limited to tricking garbage items onto your opponents, and nobody has ever made this work effectively and consistently. A Pokemon with Klutz is now able to remove items from the opponent with any contact move, making it a very powerful disruptive tool, but is also prone to losing their own items from any form of direct damage.
    Thematic Reasoning: A klutz would clumsily knock off items from its opponents as it attacks them directly, while also being unable to hold onto its own item when hurt.
    Comments:
    :bewear:Giving up Fluffy can be hard, but the ability to hit hard and cripple the opponent further could make it a devastating breaker.
    :golurk:Similar case here. No Guard and Iron Fist are both pretty good on it, so you'd have to be willing to sacrifice them (and your item, generally) for Klutz.
    :swoobat:Despite the bad Attack and limited movepool, imagine combining U-Turn and Knock Off in the same slot.
  3. Adou's Anticipation with 4 votes
    Adou said:
    Ability: Anticipation
    New Effect: Raises Speed by one stage upon activation.
    Competitive Reasoning: In Gen 8, 5 fully evolved Pokemon have Anticipation, those being Ferrothorn, Hatterne, Toxicroak, Rapidash-Galar, and Whiscash. Ferrothorn and Hatterne are both very well-off and comfortable in OU, while the latter three are in NU or below. Toxicroak and Rapidash-G are both good revenge killers, and a boost in speed such as this would make them better overall in their roles. Whiscash does not have their immediate Speed, but does have access to Dragon Dance and respectable bulk, as well as good typing.
    Thematic Reasoning: As far as fight-or-flight responses to danger go, this leans heavily towards "fight" and allows its user to function more effectively when backed into a corner.

Once the tiebreaker is finished, we will move on to Stage 2.
6Roggenrolas's Stench (3)

Adou's Anticipation (4)
Adou's Hyper Cutter (2)

AquaticPanic's Tangled Feet (3)

Bmw6446's Analytic (2)
Bmw6446's Cursed Body (2)

Gravity Monkey's Ice Body (1)

Hematite's Emergency Exit (1)
Hematite's Telepathy (1)

Leonard's Battery (7)
Leonard's Plus (2)

Ninetales Dragons's Cute Charm (3)

shnowsher's Anticipation (2)
shnowsher's Klutz (5)

War Incarnate's Anticipation (1)

Yoshiblaze's Forewarn (2)

Yung Dramps's Receiver (3)
Yung Dramps's Swarm (2)
7: Leonard's Battery

6: None

5: shnowsher's Klutz

4: Adou's Anticipation

3: 6Roggenrolas's Stench, AquaticPanic's Tangled Feet, Ninetales Dragons's Cute Charm, Yung Dramps's Receiver

2: Bmw6446's Analytic, Yoshiblaze's Forewarn, Yung Dramps's Swarm, shnowsher's Anticipation, Bmw6446's Cursed Body, Leonard's Plus, Adou's Hyper Cutter

1: Gravity Monkey's Ice Body, Hematite's Emergency Exit, Hematite's Telepathy, War Incarnate's Anticipation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)