VGC [VGC] Hisuian Gooda and friends

Howdy! I'm a new (less than a year) VGC player looking for advice on a team. I spent the last good while checking out a bunch of team styles and found one I enjoy, and this is essentially what I've cooked up. As I am a new VGC player I'm obligated to use exactly one Pokemon that is completely bad and justify it in some way. I can be new and self aware that some decisions here aren't the best lmao. I wanted to get good as I'm entering some local tournaments and wanted to perform beyond just for fun. Anywho, here we go.

Goodra-Hisui @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 228 HP / 236 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Shelter
- Life Dew

I love Hisuian Goodra, and it's what I built my team around going into this. I like the Body Press + Iron Defense mons and I found this big lug to be the best one. I was using Kommo-o but it felt really bad when (as of writing this post) Flutter Mane is at a 72% usage rate on BO3 ladder. This set is self explanatory, but I use Sap Sipper over Shell Armor because, first, it lets me Tera Water or Earth and check the FWG cores that are super popular but more relevantly it lets me swap into Spores or set up in front of Amoonguss without worrying. Heavy Slam 1 taps Flutter a lot of the time and this Goodra's stats are absolutely absurd baseline. It makes a good pivot for a few other teammates too.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 27 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Protect

Does this need an explanation? Guss slows down the match, gives me time to set up on Goodra, and heals up my bulky team. Spore is cracked. Regenerator is cracked. Switches in and makes Flutter uncomfortable a lot of the time. Boring.

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 140 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off

Intimidate, Fake Out, good damage, good bulk. Again, they need no introduction. That being said, this guy feels more like a shoe in than a piece of important glue on my team. I've considered cutting him but cycling between two intimidates sometimes felt really good (albeit overkill). I've considered replacing Incineroar with something else, but alas, a good fake out user is hard to come by when Incineroar is the immediate comparison. Boring.

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 228 HP / 76 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me

Bonk! Ivy Cudgel is a good move. Follow Me is a good move. Just another piece of good stuff on the team. Boring.

Rotom-Fan @ Wide Lens
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 52 SpA / 44 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

You know that, for most of these posts, there is a reason why you're posting the team? This is my secondary reason outside of wanting genuine help building this better. Rotom is a cool mon, plagued with inconsistency due to inaccurate moves on the secondary/gimmicky typing. Rotom fan is interesting because the typing is incredible, levitate lets it Tera into any number of typings and keep that ground immunity, and unlike Zapdos (the most immediate and apt comparison, for good reason!) it has Will-O-Wisp. Wide Lens for huge accuracy on Discharge, Air Slash, and Will-O-Wisp (each gaining 100% accuracy except WoW at 93%) and pain split lets it take a hit and recover. Goodra has a huge Earth weakness, and Rotom-Fan lets it swap it and potentially burn those guys. Discharge works well with Lando-T, and deals very respectable damage. You can swap that move in for really anything though, a lot of my Pokemon resist electric but the para is always a problem. If you do para something, you can spam Air Slash to get some silly parafliches.

It feels like Rotom is playable, but that's probably my new player "I wanna try something nobody else is!" mentality getting in the way. I've also tried Rotom-Frost with Ninetales, but it feels like it fits worse in this team.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

My partner to Rotom. Soaks up Discharges while throwing out big hits of it's own. Feels really good to run with, and another very good swap if Goodra is threatened by a earth move. Flying is nice against the Fighting and Grass types. Another boring mon, it's Lando-T, we've all seen this before. This mon feels like an power house in the back when Goodra is out front, as they cover each other nicely. Everything else is utility and glue.

Things I know I'm missing/could improve on but I'm not sure how:
- Speed control; I know it's important but it feels like I'm running into issues fitting it in. My team can kinda piggyback around enemy speed control... if I see trick room, I bring in Amoonguss, and if I see Tailwind and need to threaten it, I bring Rotom.
- Special attack damage; my team feels weak to intimidate.
- Flutter Mane; this mon is crazy and fits well on so many teams. I feel like you're either running it or have an explicit counter for it.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi! It looks like you have this team tagged as “Battle Stadium” which indicates that it is a BSS team, you would probably get a more VGC players’ eyes on this team if it were tagged “VGC” instead.

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, thanks for posting! This team looks really well built around Goodra-H, which is unfortunately not very good right now, mainly due to being outclassed by Registeel and Kommo-o, however, it has its niches and may work if you're determined to use it.

Major Changes (Pokemon replacements, set changes)

Rotom :Rotom-Fan: -> Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: / Landorus :Landorus:

It is a cool idea but the stats are just unfortunately not there, Electric isn't a very good STAB right now and Discharge may paralyze your teammates not named Landorus-T. Air Slash is solely for the flinch chance with how pathetic its results are, but Rotom can't take advantage of this because of its poor speed stat. The main issue with it though is that it makes the team too passive and reliant on Goodra-H. You want a special attacker that can threaten immediate damage as you won't be able to bring Goodra-H every game, and you also want something that pressures Gholdengo, Goodra's biggest nightmare.

52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Incineroar: 48-57 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Incineroar: 48-57 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 244 HP / 84 SpD Amoonguss: 114-134 (51.8 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 132 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 61-73 (33.7 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 244 HP / 76 SpD Assault Vest Rillaboom: 84-98 (40.7 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Landorus-T :Landorus-Therian: -> Raging Bolt :Raging Bolt:

Doesn't provide much to the team as you have Incineroar, and if you really liked other qualities, you'd be interested in the other Landorus mentioned above, Assault Vest Raging Bolt is one of the best partners for Goodra-Hisui, taking on Gholdengo, Urshifu formes, and with Snarl, handling opposing Landorus.

Flutter Mane @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 116 HP / 204 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Icy Wind

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 132 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Poison
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Assault Vest (Raging Bolt) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 100 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Thunderclap
- Draco Meteor
- Snarl

Minor Changes (Items, moves, Tera types.)

Goodra-H should be Shell armour for rng and in general the Urshifu formes. Sap Sipper can be nice but you have 4 Grass resists and 3 Amoonguss immunities, you don't need to handle FWG cores when Rillaboom / Ogerpon-W can't break through your boosts, especially with Incineroar's Intimidate, and then Amoonguss just can't handle the rest of your team, Follow Me Ogerpon-W is your go to if you want to feel safe.

Good team though! Accurate sets and needed to change the two Pokemon that weren't part of the main core. Fee; free to ask any questions, have fun <3

Hi! It looks like you have this team tagged as “Battle Stadium” which indicates that it is a BSS team, you would probably get a more VGC players’ eyes on this team if it were tagged “VGC” instead.
Not going to lie, I totally missed the tag. Thank you so much!

Hey, thanks for posting! This team looks really well built around Goodra-H, which is unfortunately not very good right now, mainly due to being outclassed by Registeel and Kommo-o, however, it has its niches and may work if you're determined to use it.

Major Changes (Pokemon replacements, set changes)

Rotom :Rotom-Fan: -> Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: / Landorus :Landorus:

It is a cool idea but the stats are just unfortunately not there, Electric isn't a very good STAB right now and Discharge may paralyze your teammates not named Landorus-T. Air Slash is solely for the flinch chance with how pathetic its results are, but Rotom can't take advantage of this because of its poor speed stat. The main issue with it though is that it makes the team too passive and reliant on Goodra-H. You want a special attacker that can threaten immediate damage as you won't be able to bring Goodra-H every game, and you also want something that pressures Gholdengo, Goodra's biggest nightmare.

52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 244 HP / 84 SpD Amoonguss: 114-134 (51.8 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 132 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 61-73 (33.7 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
52+ SpA Rotom-Fan Air Slash vs. 244 HP / 76 SpD Assault Vest Rillaboom: 84-98 (40.7 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Landorus-T :Landorus-Therian: -> Raging Bolt :Raging Bolt:

Doesn't provide much to the team as you have Incineroar, and if you really liked other qualities, you'd be interested in the other Landorus mentioned above, Assault Vest Raging Bolt is one of the best partners for Goodra-Hisui, taking on Gholdengo, Urshifu formes, and with Snarl, handling opposing Landorus.

Flutter Mane @ Choice Specs
EVs: 116 HP / 204 Def / 60 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Icy Wind

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 132 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Poison
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Assault Vest (Raging Bolt) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 100 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Thunderclap
- Draco Meteor
- Snarl

Minor Changes (Items, moves, Tera types.)

Goodra-H should be Shell armour for rng and in general the Urshifu formes. Sap Sipper can be nice but you have 4 Grass resists and 3 Amoonguss immunities, you don't need to handle FWG cores when Rillaboom / Ogerpon-W can't break through your boosts, especially with Incineroar's Intimidate, and then Amoonguss just can't handle the rest of your team, Follow Me Ogerpon-W is your go to if you want to feel safe.

Good team though! Accurate sets and needed to change the two Pokemon that weren't part of the main core. Fee; free to ask any questions, have fun <3
I'm totally okay playing something a little more subpar than full on 'meta', I enjoy strats that slow down tempo of the game a bit I think!

Totally on board with Raging Bolt, and due to the aforementioned earth weaknesses, something like Landorus normie feels like a required pivot although I guess Flutter has such good SPDEF bulk it doesn't matter.

Whenever I run Flutter, I tend to gravitate towards this set:

Flutter Mane @ Booster Energy
EVs: 220 HP / 132 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind / Mystical Fire / Perish Song / Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

As the bulk tends to feel really good, but I haven't tried the specs set before so maybe I'll give that a go. Thank you again for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)