VGC '12 United Kingdom National - Birmingham - March 3 - WON BY KobraTail

Status
Not open for further replies.
British National VGC should be for Brits, It's broken if people don't play at home...
Why is it broken, just because you got 2 of your 4 spots "stolen"?
Most people are travelling because it makes sense and improves your chances of getting yourself a paid trip to Worlds. Brits can do the same so I don't see where this is in any way broken or unfair.

Most people are travelling because it makes sense and improves your chances of getting yourself a paid trip to Worlds. Brits can do the same so I don't see where this is in any way broken or unfair.
I'm not resentful or bigoted, I just think the finalists should represent their country in the international competition to ensure more diversity at an international level, also I never said "stolen" I was just pointing out something I thought was flawed. Why have national VGC's with international contestants, makes the international tournament void. (I said international a lot).

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well it's unfair in that those of us in North America aren't allowed to do it! =P We're only allowed to play in our home country or pay $1000 to play in Europe :(

Me and my mates were part of the six cosplaying champions (Gary Oak included) and we had an awesome time - me (Steven) and Clare (Wallace) went out in the first round, while Kay (Cynthia) went out in the second round. Niall (Alder) went out in the third. Alex (Lance) didn't turn up in time to compete.

And Ben (Gary Oak!) as you all know, made it into the finals.

I think there was a noticable atmosphere when the crowd was chanting "GARY," so much so that the official was shushing and motioning for us to quieten down. I'm sure videos will be uploaded!

I want to congratulate Reuben for his victory, but I really would appreciate it if he could develop a little sportsmanship. Confidence is understandable when you're that good, but outright arrogance? It just comes across as downright rude. Ironic that Ben should be cosplaying the most arrogant of all the characters in the franchise, yet was the more humble in his victories and loss.

Also, I find it incredibly odd that a bunch of Spanish players choose to compete in the UK Regionals. It's quite irritating that Reuben is representing the UK when he is not from the UK. It might be a less bitter pill to swallow if our main representative wasn't so cringingly arrogant.

Regardless of sportsmanship, the battle was awesome to watch, and it was well played on both sides. Reuben is a good battler, and his prediction was spot on. Ben did an incredibly good job to get so far with a themed Gary team (all of his Pokemon have been used at some point by Gary in the games.)

Congratulations to all who made it to the finals! =]

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Ben have an account here? Congratulations to him! And they won't actually be representing the UK. They'll be put under Spain. You'll thankfully at least have Ben and Showsni represting the UK. Ruben is from Spain and Picollo is from Germany. We'll see if any Brits win some of the other events.

Dozz if you don't place in France I will not forgive you :(

Does Ben have an account here? Congratulations to him! And they won't actually be representing the UK. They'll be put under Spain. You'll thankfully at least have Ben and Showsni represting the UK. Ruben is from Spain and Picollo is from Germany. We'll see if any Brits win some of the other events.
Didn't know that Picollo was Germany. Nor did I know that Reuben wouldn't be representing the UK.

But...does this mean, then, that we'll end up with 2 representatives for the UK, while Spain could end up with 6? That doesn't really seem fair at all. =/

Region lock is muchly desired, methinks. Us Brits can't hold up to the Spaniards =P

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What's the problem people have with players travelling across Europe to play in more VGCs? It's sort of like, 5 events across Europe in my eyes, that are just more convenient for some than others. Everyone has the chance to go to all of them, and can do, like, I'll be going to France, I know a number of other users also travelling out of their country, Like, Drug_duck, and Rob. It's the same option for everyone, so I don't think we can say "Why don't they stay at home" when you could say "Why don't we go abroad". I mean, it's a good idea tactically, as you get a better handle on the metagame you're playing, and can adapt a bit for the next event. You also get to spend more time making friends, and hanging out with cool users, so, that's worth going to another event for.

Maybe we should all stop getting butt hurt about international relations, and other EU players winning EU events, and look at it more a Europe thing. We now have 20 EU players at worlds, so, thats a bigger chance of the Championships on the continent if you're that stoked on national pride.

For the record, I'm representing Canada now for Firestorm. Sick of this bickering about "Oh, a very good spaniard played well and won an event, but he travelled a long way to it!"

A full set of cosplayed Champions? I'm eagerly waiting to see some pics of that xD
I must have seen like 3-5 Alders when I was there, it was crazy...
Didn't know that Picollo was Germany. Nor did I know that Reuben wouldn't be representing the UK.

But...does this mean, then, that we'll end up with 2 representatives for the UK, while Spain could end up with 6? That doesn't really seem fair at all. =/

Region lock is muchly desired, methinks. Us Brits can't hold up to the Spaniards =P
The thing is, the UK doesn't count itself as the UK, it counts as Europe, which also includes spain, france, germany, etc. So really if one wanted, could go to all europe events and have a chance of winning.

Shouldn't be so much complaining about the Spanish players, it's not like we can't play their vgc as well. It doesn't decrease your chances in any way other than that rueben and co happen to be very good.

The event overall was really good, but the airport travelodge isn't quite as close as you'd expect... That's probably the only flop

I came 3rd in Seniors!
Congrats! And congrats to Shosni and all the other qualifiers as well!

I'm pretty sure this was discussed heavily last summer; the current system definitely has its pros and cons. The main thing that you seem to be ignoring however, is that it's not financially possible for a lot people to attend more than one "national".

..But it is what it is, and I don't fault anyone for hopping from national to national to improve their chances at winning.

Me and my mates were part of the six cosplaying champions (Gary Oak included) and we had an awesome time - me (Steven) and Clare (Wallace) went out in the first round, while Kay (Cynthia) went out in the second round. Niall (Alder) went out in the third. Alex (Lance) didn't turn up in time to compete.

And Ben (Gary Oak!) as you all know, made it into the finals.

I think there was a noticable atmosphere when the crowd was chanting "GARY," so much so that the official was shushing and motioning for us to quieten down. I'm sure videos will be uploaded!
I think this is so great, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it! I always love when themed/unusual teams do well.

I'm not resentful or bigoted, I just think the finalists should represent their country in the international competition to ensure more diversity at an international level, also I never said "stolen" I was just pointing out something I thought was flawed. Why have national VGC's with international contestants, makes the international tournament void. (I said international a lot).
Someone has some sour grapes ;)

I'm kind of jealous of you Europeans because you guys have 5 chances to make it to worlds and get to travel all over Europe while us Americans only have 1 chance to make it to worlds since U.S. Nationals is restricted and we can't even play in Canada for prizes.

Nonetheless the event looks like it was a success and it was fun waking up and following the coverage. Congrats to all who placed in the top 4!

Better spent your money for Hawaii and not for all of the other qualifiers ;)
Nah because I am not trying to win Worlds I am trying to go around Europe and meet the best players and cheer on Team Europe and hopefully qualify, anyways like your legendary Piccolo!

Plus it's four weeks of epicness as opposed to one week of World's... I dunno, I will probably qualify for it anyway but if I don't then yes, what a shame, didn't go to Worlds but at least I visited some of the coolest countries in the World. :D

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Regardless of the validity of the current situation, I think the fact that Americans can't win in Canada and vice versa suggests that Europe will have similar restrictions when they adopt the new system.

Honestly, what was even going on in that tournament? Sand veil garchomp is the absolute worst and is pretty much the entire reason for VGC 2012 being a shitty meta. The amount of times I've said this before, then it goes and actually happens at nationals.

Awful, awful matches going on here to the point where I'd flat out quit pokemon if I didn't know this kind of thing is rare. And I'm only really referring to the hax. When you realise that almost everyone you know on here lost to a worse player who haxed them, something is wrong. (Though Shoe instead got timestalled out by KEEEEEFKAAAAAA jajajaja)

Just going by my own matches, here's something of an indication how bad things were for me (and it was hardly only happening to me):

Round 2 I was critted 3 times, rockslide doubleflinched twice, sand veiled 3 times. Yeah. Saved the vid.

Round 3 I was critted 3 times in a bloody row right at the start of the game.

Round 4 was unusual in that I didn't take any crits at all. Mostly because I didn't even take a single hit, which proves a bit of a point.

By round 5 I just could not take it any more. Forgetting how there were a few crits mixed in with this (though one of my only two crits of the tournament as well) which were why it happened anyway, sand veil going off 4 turns in a row is just not funny. It's complete bullshit, even, and when I find out who decided to invent sand veil in the first place I'm going to personally throw a can of orange juice into his fucking face, this time on purpose. When you withstand all of this and end up losing to the TIMER AGAIN it crosses over from being "bs hax" into "god hates me and all i stand for" and this is just not cool.

I've done some rough maths on how me and gree ended up losing (they're roughly the same odds). It comes out at roundabout a 1/3500 chance for sand veil to go off 6 times with or 4 times without brightpowder in these situations. Combine that with the crits involved and the odds of some of us losing here are considerably higher than those of finding shinies or scoring high on the lottery or whatever. Sand veil going off 7 times between the only 2 games involving garchomp (none of them from my own) is just not right. Only that double water spout crit on Huy in 2010 comes close to this level of absolute shite.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lovely day out today and had a lot of fun. But it has to be pointed out, what actually happened for this year's UK nationals is pretty much taking the piss. For so many good people to get gayed out so early, and for actual noobs to be making the later rounds is absolutely disgusting. And sorry, but that Gary guy, really cool team I know, but I cannot see how it could have coped with any actually good players in a typical fight with no major hax. Just look at how Ruben absolutely destroyed him in the final and it doesn't make sense. The Gary team wasn't even hax-reliant but because of the theme it had so many gaping weaknesses to common mons used by good players. Chandelure on its own basically meant gg for example, which is exactly what happened in the final.

Anyway, it's not often things like this happen in VGC and when they do it honestly depresses me. Not in the "POKEMON IS A SERIOUS THING THESE PROBLEMS MATTER" way but more in a "Things just are not going right for me... why" way. Like I said earlier, I'm all for hax mixing things up and making the game more exciting. I'm even all for how it widens skill levels and stops a battle from being a foregone conclusion. But then again sometimes it's just ridiculous. I know I'm good, yeah, but I'm hardly god. Can't blame you for forgetting sometimes, pokemon, but come on mate loosen up a little and stop being a bastard.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to go to France. The chances of all this happening again are pretty much zero. If it does happen again I'm just going to quit pokemon or something.
Fuck garchomp.

Zog, your complaining about a game with these mechanics that are just part of it, just take up SC2 or something, I can understand some of your views but meh, this is pokemon and I guess you'll be going to Hawaii anyway? (Just wanted to know that's all) x

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations to the winners and those with invites, good job to you :)

Someone has some sour grapes ;)

I'm kind of jealous of you Europeans because you guys have 5 chances to make it to worlds and get to travel all over Europe while us Americans only have 1 chance to make it to worlds since U.S. Nationals is restricted and we can't even play in Canada for prizes.

Nonetheless the event looks like it was a success and it was fun waking up and following the coverage. Congrats to all who placed in the top 4!
this, lets all just look at the bigger picture here and stop bashing non Brits that traveled to the event.

at least you guys can go to Spain and win a trip and hotel. I on the other hand will attend the Canadian regional knowing that i cant win a trip or invite because of my status as an american. i'll try my best of course but if i win, will i feel like shit and a bit mad/sad? yes, yes i will.

I think this is so great, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it! I always love when themed/unusual teams do well.
Aye, I was the Alder in that, and I shockingly got to round three with Alder's six Pokémon before being beaten, after losing my first game last year... although all three of the people I played against admitted they had never encountered Final Gambit before, so I guess I wasn't playing against the most experienced players :p

I only have one group photo, and it's missing myself (taking the photo) and Lance (who was still in bed...) but have a free Burgh for your viewing pleasure!

Also, I'm kind of curious what the attendants thought of people chanting for "Gary" when the finalists were called Ben and Ruben...

Maybe we should all stop getting butt hurt about international relations, and other EU players winning EU events, and look at it more a Europe thing. We now have 20 EU players at worlds, so, thats a bigger chance of the Championships on the continent if you're that stoked on national pride.
As I said in my first post, it probably wouldn't have been so much an issue of Reuben was a good sport when he won. All the shouting and arrogance really is...unsettling. I think there was a reason people were chanting for "Gary" in the finals.

The fact that we play as "Europe" together is cool though, I didn't realise it worked like that. As I say, I probably wouldn't be so bitter if everyone was as modest and unassuming as Ben was in his loss and victories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)